The Last Airbender

I agree with everyone on the 3D, sure it's neat... the first 100,000 movies you see in it. Of course, after that, it gets old. You won't be missing hardly anything by watching the 2D version. (It's just that the midnight showing was only in 3D; I would've preferred 2D myself)

That being said, on to the movie...

I only heard one threat on M. Night's life; but I did hear a lot of people saying they didn't like it. I, on the other hand, really enjoyed it.

Biggest change, the names, though spelled the same, are pronounced more eastern. Also, Iroh is skinny and has long salt & pepper hair.

If you've been following the updates on YouTube, then you'll be prepared for almost all of the changes. Some things feel a bit rushed, but that's simply due to the fact that it's a regular, feature length movie. The movie doesn't fill in all the blanks, but having watched the anime multiple times, that didn't bother me.

The grandmother goes into some expository about the spirit world, and there's some explanation of why the Fire Nation is waging the war that isn't explicitly the way it's told in the anime. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's contradictory... depending on how good you can reconcile.

Click to reveal.. (don't read if you don't want to know about the ending)
WARNING: this spoiler actually contains a spoiler...

The end of the seige is a little anti-climactic. Instead of being possessed by the ocean spirit, he simply 'lets his emotions flow' and makes a big wall of water that scares away the fire nation. This is the one thing that I would change. Even if he just made a big wave that pushed the ships away, without destroying them, that'd be fine by me.

All in all, a pretty good movie.

Oh, and while the animation during the end credits is cool and the music is worth listening to, no surprises during/after the credits. No bonus for you!

The acting was horrible. The special effects were lackluster. The scenery was amazing, but that's about it.

The movie was far more appearance than substance, and so much was left out or glossed over, they really didn't do the show justice.

General Review from Kylie (In case anyone cares, LOL...)

The movie was "eh". On a grading scale, I guess I'd give it a C-. The effects weren't bad, but they didn't blow me away. The acting was pretty dismal.. I don't think Shylaman knows how to make people act well. I think he can work with whatever talent they bring to the table, and that's about the end of it. So you put him with an experienced actor, that's one thing. A bunch of unknown kids, most of whom with little to no acting experience.. eh.

They guy who played Iroh was pretty true to character, I thought he did well. Zuko wasn't half bad, but then again he was the only one of these kids with any prior acting chops, IIRC. They changed motivations around a bit, that doesn't bother me so much, small changes like that always happen in movies. The action scenes could have been a lot more.. epic. For the two seconds you see her, you kind of get the impression the girl they found to play Azula wouldn't be bad in the role - or maybe she just has a good smirk. Who knows if she could truly pull of the crazy. We probably won't ever get to find out - I have a feeling from reviews I've read that this movie will probably tank badly enough that the sequels won't ever get made. Justin was right, the scenery was very good, probably the best part of the movie.

Anyway, I didn't go see the 3D version cause I hate 3D, so I can't give you an opinion on that. All I can say is that I wish it had been a different director who had been the one to get his hands on this script. I think it could have been done much better than it was, though it might be worth a one-time watch for those who aren't too terribly picky or maybe those who have never seen the show. The person I went with never had, and she thought it was "okay" and seemed to have a good time.

Archived