Ideas for WOD:A Character Resurrection

Jeremy

Plenty of us, I understand, have fond memories and good attachments to their characters made from WoD:A. As such, I hereby establish this brainstorm thread to see if we can figure out a concept for an ST-run game that someone that everyone can accept will take and run.

Notice: I said ST-run and everyone has to accept the possible ST for before the ST is THE ST. Without details, naming names or blaming, I merely want to suggest this to head off some of the issues that have been perceived to lead to the WODA game's breakdown.

-------

Now, my proposal:

World of Darkness: Rogues

It's several years after WoDA, and the city's supernatural elements are finally coming together as central authorities are taking control. Not that our favorite PCs care, or the city noticing for that matter. But seemingly isolated headlines in the mortal media soon have picked up on shocking events.

The LA Amphora, a popular nightclub and bar by UCLA has been firebombed. Lucien Hunt, the Underwear King of LA has been in a mysterious accident, labeled a car crash. Bodies of tore-up and mangled UCLA students appear on the edges of the campus. What the college has not commented on, is that pinned to every broken body is a note. Inscribed in letters of blood, it demands Declan Perault be fired from his job.

You get the idea. Someone's gunning for our motley band, and we gotta handle this.

- 75+ XP (King O' The Food Chain!)

- Mystery, Action, etc.

The issue I see here is that anyone interested in resurrecting WoDA would also be the ones interested in playing it.

Other than that, Dave and Vivi have claimed intellectual rights to aspects of the game before, IIRC. I assume were someone to go through with this, it would generate more bad feelings and a massive shitstorm of anger. Taking over someone else's game just isn't done without the consent of those who put the work into starting it and nurturing it. I took over DR with Alex's blessings, and you took over HC with my blessing. Beyond that, the only other cases are when the ST abandons it and someone steps in. WoDA was not abandoned by the founding members; everyone else left. Anything outside of the cases I mentioned above is theft of another's time and effort.

The last reason I think this is a bad idea is that you usually can't recreate the magic. WoDA was awesome, while it was going strong with all the PCs writing at least occasionally. Even if you restart it, you'll rarely recapture the magic.

Let WoDA die. It had a good run, but it's done. If people want to play their WoDA characters, they'll just have to wait for another WoD game.

I'll second that. Rebooting characters in a different setting is acceptable, rebooting the setting that someone else created without their OK isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to get a good game going again, just be careful not to step on peoples toes.

I'll go ahead and put in my two cents on this.

If you, Jeremy, or anyone else, wants to use NPCs, PCs, locations, items, etc. that someone else created (whether it's me, Dave, Dawn, Fox, Jim, or any of the other past, present, or future members of the forums), it's generally best to ask the creators. Not only is it polite, it prevents a lot of potential conflict and resentment.

Obviously, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I know if I create something (and don't explicitly label it as belonging to the public domain) I expect people to ask before they use it for their own purposes. I also try to show others the same courtesy. I'm not going to write about the Amphora, for example, unless I get permission from the player who created it, gave it life, and worked to make it interesting and relevant. If he's cool with it? Awesome. If not, then I leave it alone. Either way, I need to run it by him first.

I'm also not going to flip out if people want to run an ST-driven WoD game and reboot their WoD:A characters there. You're the players, and your PCs, and all the trappings and trimmings you used to flesh them out, belong to you. Making it a direct follow-up, though, I'm not cool with, for the aforementioned reasons, and my feelings on it are pretty similar to Dawn's.

All games here have their glory days. WoD:A's are long since past, and honestly were before we tried fixing it with the reboot. Personal interests aside, if you want to make a compelling game, one that's going to grab people's attention and keep it, it needs to be original. For a long time, there wasn't much on the boards like WoD:A. It was different, and things hadn't been done quite that way before. I'd suggest you think of a premise, a setting, a quirk of the setup or what-have-you that's innovative, and go for that. Reboot the characters if you want, into whatever format you decide on, but create something new in the process- you'll get more people interested, and for longer.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
I'll second that. Rebooting characters in a different setting is acceptable, rebooting the setting that someone else created without their OK isn't.

I'm not trying to resurrect the game, though perhaps that proposal gave people the wrong idea. It's the characters that matter. So yeah, if a different setting, perhaps the made of city of Pizarro, California. Or hell, DC. Dec could be the groundskeeper of the White House, and Sarah sleeps in the dirt of the Mall every night.

Wait..... That would guarantee the Herd knows within the first page of posts. eek

And as for special stuff, I was considering a territory-themed game based around the rules in HtV: Block by Bloody Block. So I'm open to suggestions all around.

Archived