Avatar the Last Airbender: A Second Chance - Chapter 1: The Silent Week

With the door open it was plain to see that it was the Inn keeper the one who stood behind it. "Why yes, I´m not looking for you young lady, I´m looking for the girl that was with you up until recently, dressed in bright colors, very pretty and tattooed. Might of been an Airbender, is she here with you?" the man looked room all over, or as much as he could see from around Brin´s massive frame.

"Is she something to you?" the mans voice sounded different from what it had sounded a bit earlier, a bit more hoarse and forced.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brin considered and then opened the door the rest of the way, "No airbenders in here. Nor any flying buffalo, water benders, fire benders, or other such fantastic things. Just three tired, wet, and tired, travelers." He allowed the man, whomever he really was, a chance to see that it was just the three of them, "If you don't mind we'd like to get some sleep, we have had a long day on the road with bad weather."

"Curious, since I did not mention any flying creatures, they are Bisons by the by, very rare." the man looked over the room once again. "Since you were so nice to mention her first, might you happen to know where the little dancer went to? I happen to have some business with her and would be very interested in finding her." the man licks his lips. "Come on, talk up, nothing wrong with helping your fellow man right?"

"There is nothing wrong with helping your fellow man or woman," Tora agreed icily. "However, I am not at all sure that helping you find her would be helpful for her. You and she are both strangers to me and so I have no idea whom should be trusted."

The bow remained taut, the fletching brushing her cheek like a lover's caress. But there was nothing romantic about the steady way she held the weapon.

"Besides, she left for the night. We don't even know where she is," Rikka piped up from her perch on the bunk, a blanket over her shoulders and the crystalline blades pressed against the straw-filled mattress, so they weren't visible from below.

Rikka considered the man at the door. He seemed sort of like a bounty-hunter, but not one of the good ones who come up to you and tell they're a bounty-hunter, all honest like. No, he was one of the slimy, sneaky ones who don't play fair. The only good thing about them was you didn't have to play fair either. "If you want, I can try to find her for you... for a price, of course. And only after the rain stops."

A few more coins in her pockets given freely and out of the hands of a foul hyena-snake. Maybe she could get two rides on Kiara for helping Yana out.

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh, but we would be in trouble if the rain stopped. I guess I will just have to tell the interested party that she is gone for tonight. I won`t bother you any more travelers, but I would recommend you don`t sleep too heavily, my mother used to say that only bad things happen when the weather gets like this. Bad things could be around any corner at this time of the night."

Closing the door behind him, a quiet silence could be heard on him lieu, as the steps could be faintly heard through the rain while he walked away.

"Well," Tora said into the silence that followed the stranger's departure, "I think we need to sleep in shifts then. Better to wake up tired than dead, no?" She had looked forward to a night of uninterrupted sleep on a real bed. But danger was danger, regardless of whether it came from rampaging beasts or rampaging men.

"Who's first?" Because the three had done this so much, they knew their own preferences as well as each others. Their new friend had to be worked into the system; his presence also meant that they had shorter shifts than normal. After a quick game of Ostrich-Wolf, Farmer and Snare, the watch order was set and the other three tumbled into bed.

"I would have preferred we not have admitted to knowing her personally," Brin says slowly after the footsteps have faded away. "What's done is done and what is said cannot be unsaid my mother used to say. We should be wary however, the viper-weasel strikes fastest at the unwary foot." Brin settled down to first watch having drawn that lot, glad that he didn't have the unenviable middle turn at the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Brin settled down to his guard post as the two girls and the new guy went to sleep, content to just go to sleep later he kept his ears perked up and his eyes open, but the lack of light in the room, illuminated faintly by the covered glowing rocks and the lighting coming from outside as it flashed and bolted around.

The sounds outside of the Inn were those of a rainy night, quiet and a constant stream of sound, the worries of the day being wondered up and the excitement of future desert traveling on the back of his mind. But what was that smell? It smelled like a gigantic wolf-bull had decided to take a dip in stagnant water and then just throw itself into the sun. It seemed to be coming from outside the door leading to the inside part of the inn.

• 2 weeks later...

Jer figured he had found the place at last. Though he was outside the inn, his knowledge of this section of Ba Sing Se had helped him narrow down the locations, that and inquiry- though the hosts seemed shocked that Jer did brave the weather for the others.

He pushed some drenched hair away from his eyes, and started to head for the door, when he heard what sounded like a moo-grunt. He turned about, hoping it was the Air Bison and the air bender girl.

Yana nearly bumped into the bounty hunter from earlier, but she lit up in a smile once she recognized him. "Hi...oh, um....I don't think I ever got your name..." The smile faded into a chagrined blush, "I'm Yana, if I didn't say so before. Is everyone at the inn? Something weird happened while we were looking for a place to curl up and I think I might want to head for the temple tonight."

The smile and the blush had faded to a worried frown by the time she finished speaking, her mood as mercurial as the winds she was named for.

"Jer." As Yana looked at the bounty hunter, she could tell a few things. One, he looked relieved, ostensibly at her presence. Jer also looked rather worried as hell, and it was clear he'd been through a rough night so far. "I don't know, I've been out, and weird is too small a word for my night. But I hope they're all there, since it seems I've learned a lot more about what's going on than I would have wanted. Whatever we do after we leave Ba Sing Se, is less important than getting out of the city before it's destroyed!"

Jer followed up this shocking statement with a gesture to the inn. "Now, let's get them, then I can explain what I mean."

Yana blinked at the ominous statement, but hurried into the inn at his gesture. Whatever was going on, it seemed that she wasn't the only one having a portentous evening. "Kiara, wait right here; we'll be back soon!"

She strode into the inn, peering around for her companions from earlier. When she didn't see them, she bit her lip and glanced back at Jer. "Do you think they have rooms here? I don't really know where to look for them if they didn't."

"Ugh," Brin wrinkled his nose at the smell from outside. Standing up he padded to the window, quiet despite his bulk, and stuck his head outside. Despite the rain the odor was even strong outside, Somebody step, on a Skunk-Mole?, he wondered. Peering around outside he saw the shadowy bulk of the air bison from earlier. Hmm, doesn't smell very good wet. I wonder if what's her name is around or not?

Archived