Avatar the Last Airbender: A Second Chance - Chapter 1: The Silent Week

Tora blinked and her eyes narrowed. How had he known her name. Her manner somehow was more haughty as she said, "Since you know my name, you may leave the message for me." She peered at him with sharp, golden eyes for a moment.

She turned to her companions. "I am going to check on Ryka and then make inquiries. I would appreciate one or both of you coming with me."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'll totally come, Tora," Rikka offered with a bright smile, "I didn't get to see much of the City yet anyway, and I want-" Too late, Rikka realized Tora had mentioned checking on her damnable mongoose-dragon. But she'd already said she'd go. Besides, she did want to see more of the City. "-want to see if I can find one - or three - of those neat glowing crystals. They're everywhere, it should be hard, right?"

She looked up earnestly at Tora and Brin, lime eyes wide and somehow guileless. She looped an arm through each of her companions and began tugging them towards the door. "C'mon! Let's go! We have places to see and questions to ask and things to find." She made all of two steps before Brin's stolid weight stopped her in her tracks. She glanced over her should at him, mouth pursed in an annoyed pout. "Move, you."

Brin rolled his eyes, then quirked his lips down at her in what she recognized as a grin, letting the wiry girl, surprisingly strong despite her slender frame, tug his mountainous bulk out the door. "If you insist, Rikka."

The night outside of the inn had not changed much, the rain was still thick coming from the skies as it covered the world, the sky itself now rolled with thunder from time to time, as large columns of lighting exchanged places on the sky lighting up the ground by instants as they did their own dance in the sky.

The street itself was almost deserted, under the rain only those still trying to peddle their goods, the homeless and the prepared could endure. The place where Ryka was staying was no more than three or four blocks away, a swift walk under most weathers, but under one like this only people like the trio could keep it up without much trouble, uncaring of the actual rain.

The trip itself was uneventful, but the door to the inside was closed when they approached, but a light was still on inside.

Guest Anonymous

Keeping pace, but staying a good distance behind, the group could easily tell they were being followed. Someone left as they did, a man clad in a dark, ragged rain cloak and disheveled dou li (a conical straw hat) that had certainly seen better days.

The man made no attempts to hide himself as he followed along the same route as they, but kept far enough behind that it was obviously suspicious...

Brin looked at the door, and then turned to the two girls, "I think they're closed. Should we knock or do you want to just come back in the morning?" His back now mostly to the stable doors he looked out onto Ba Sing Se in the fading light. High in the inner rings of the city the palace and other building still caught the last traces of daylight on their roofs and almost appeared to be glowing. Likewise the glowing crystals that lit the street lamps poured pools of blue-white light that lit the ways in soft glows that made everything seem ethereal; spiritual even. "Wow," Brin breathed as he watched night fall.

Flicking a lank strand of hair out of her face, Rikka slouched along next to the others. She was out here 'cuz she promised Tora she'd help, but she hated the rain. But the luminous crystals glowing like ghost-lights in the night were sure pretty. I wonder... She began drifting away from the group, but a nudge from Brin that could stagger a wild bull moose-lion stopped her from going to far. The desert-bred girl followed along sullenly, beginning to grow chilled from the rain water soaking her in the night, though her eyes still watched the glowing crystals with enchantment.

When the made it to the stable, Rikka looked at her two companions, first Tora then Brin when asked them if the should stay or go. "Knock!" Rikka said brightly - and eager to get out from under the rain = and suited words to action, reaching between Brin and Tora, rapping on the door sharply.

While waiting for a response, she leaned back against the wall of the stable, trying to get under the slight overhang of the roof, hoping for cover from the detestable rain. Looking back over the grand city of Ba Sing Se, pondering how to... 'acquire' one - or several - of those lovely crystals, she noticed the figure following along behind them. Sharp eyes used to the open expanse of the desert, Rikka peered one way down the street, then the other, seeing no one else.

Her lime-green eyes settled back on the hatted figure - and a hat like this is a great idea, I should go find one. After a moment, she gave him a grin and waved.

He'd been spotted! The young monk was a master of the martial arts... but stealth was not something his Sifu and he went over while sipping tea.

Rikka watched as the cloaked man looked to his left, then swiftly to his right in an attempt to elude his observer. He settled for one large leap of a step that landed him standing straight upright behind one of the lamp posts...

... that he was still three times wider than... and lit up... and casting his shadow down the road.

Despite these obvious failures the man continued the charade of stealth, standing completely straight and still as if none could see him. After a moment he leaned his head downward, turning it in their direction cautiously only to suddenly snap it back upright (in case anyone might have seen him).

Any fear that Tora might have felt faded at the young monk's dance. She still wasn't sure what to do about him, but that confusion only lasted a second. In true Zheng style, when she was confronted with something that confused her, she confronted it in turn.

Tora smiled a little as she pushed her balack hair behind an ear and stepped forward. "Hello," she called softly to the stranger. "Is there something you want from us? If so, out with it then."

Somehow they'd managed to see him, despite his best efforts to elude their perceptions. It was no matter, the young man preferred not to be hiding in the shadows any way, but wasn't sure how to approach the group. Once one of them addressed him, it made his next task simpler.

He approached only a few steps, intent on displaying that he meant no threat, especially to a group that looked like they could hold their own against him easily. He was a ragged mess. His conical hat was tattered and barely kept the rain off him while his cloak was a soaking wet woolen nightmare of frayed edges and poorly patched up holes.

He remained obscured by rain, shadows, and the soaking mantle that covered him. He bowed politely and as he rose from it, he spoke. "You are searching for something. I would like to accompany you."

His words were simple, flat, and carried no hint of emotion as if he only said what needed to be said, and all other things like inflection, tone, and emotion were unneeded filler.

Tora's smile faded a bit and her fists clenched in an unconscious sign of wariness. She may not have been an experience world-traveler who knew her way around all the corners of the globe, but she had learned caution. Her chin came up a little, and the light from one of the crystals caught her golden eyes. "Do you know what we're seeking?"

"No." His answer was as stiff as the others had been.

Tora let the shadow of her smile disappear completely. "Then why do you want to help us, if you don't know what we're seeking, or who we are? You could be agreeing to help someone as villainous as Fire Lord Orai?"

"Like you, I quest." Again his voice was dull, almost monotone as he started is explanation. "My search, like yours, must take me beyond this place. Your steps. Your inflections."

The wide, concealing brim of his hat lifted until she could finally see his face. He was handsome, at least that could be said, but his blood red eyes nearly pierced her, sending a shiver down the noble's spine. "The heart beat in your chest. All of these things tell me that you, while flawed and imperfect, are no villain."

Politely he bowed his head and raised it again. "I am ready when you are."

Tora blinked, startled. What did someone say to that? "Your words are kind, friend, but I'm not sure why I'd allow you to come along," she said softly. She didn't know anything about this man, and it took more than a pretty face to sway her mind. "I know nothing of your skills or your intentions. For all I know, you know what I seek, and are coming to steal it from me." And I have enough to worry about Rikka stealing it from me.

Behind her, the door to the stable opened and the livery master peered out. "Wha- Oh! It's you!" He stepped back. "What do you want?"

Tora turned to gaze at him, then looked back to the stranger. "Come in out of the rain," she requested of him, waving at the barn. "I must check on my mount, and its better to talk in a dry place."

The antics of the Red-Eyed Man made her giggle, but the door barely opened before Rikka darted in, eager to get out of the rain. City People are weird. Inside, she shook herself, trying to get dry, longish hair flying everywhere, and water spraying freely. But then she paused as she saw the snout and beady eyes of the Mongoose-Dragon peering at her over the stall. Stop staring at me, ugly!

Huddling against a wall, rubbing her arms to get warmed up, she looked at the funny, red-eyed man, something he said making her perk up. "Quest you say, hmmm? What are you looking for?" the blond girl asked, green eyes sparkling with interest, her sprightly nature struggling against the misery of the weather.

"I agree." The sopping wet man bowed again and stepped past her, entering the barn. He stood there, quiet as she entered a moment later and let her tend to her business. His heavy cloak (which must have been up to ten pounds by now, being soaking wet heavy wool) simply dripped into large puddles at his feet. He lowered his head, concealing his features once again with his hat and quietly waited beside the large stable doors.

"Quest you say, hmmm? What are you looking for?" the blond girl asked, green eyes sparkling with interest, her sprightly nature struggling against the misery of the weather.

"Not what, who." He quietly corrected her. He was a stark contrast to Rikka, where she had energy and a squirrely, excited tone in her voice his sounded all but dead and easily forgotten. IT was like he didn't even put in the effort to be 'dark and brooding'... just 'soggy and boring'. "I am searching for my Sifu. He left home one day and did not return."

"Oh." Rikka's shoulders slumped slightly, mildly dispirited with the man's response. Finding people wasn't as much fun as finding things, old things or shiny things, all kind of things. Mostly though, things didn't mind if you found them, but people often did, and could be mean about it.

She cut a quick glance at Tora, entering a stall to check on Ryka. But sometimes, people had to be found too. Suddenly, there was a crash of thunder, so loud it rattled the walls, followed the intensifying sound of water hitting the roof as the deluge increased. Like the Avatar, I guess.

"Do you know why your Sifu left in the first place?" Rikka asked politely enough. "It might give you a clue where to look. And - wait! What's your name? I can't keep thinking of you as RedEye. Unless RedEye is your name. Is it? I'm Rikka."

Realizing that he was being after the young woman reminded of his manners, the young monk raised his hands, and took hold of his balled fist as he bowed slightly. "Forgive me, I was being rude." It was hard to tell if he was sincere, considering his dull tone. "I am Brennan, Master of Shui Do, the martial art of water in all its forms. I am honored that you all have given me this opportunity to speak with you."

Humbly he continued after raising his head. "Master Nekshui is very fond of games. 'Life is a test', he is always telling me. One day, I returned from my meditations, and he was simply gone. Days past and he did not return, so I have set out in search for him. I think is testing me one last time before making me a Grand Master." He suddenly became distant and for a brief moment there was a glimmer of emotion in his eyes. "But only a Master with all seven of his chakras unlocked could find Master Nekshui. Sadly, I've yet to unlock any, but I must search anyway..."

Brin ran his hands over his head forcing the water in his hair out into a puddle on the floor. He likewise attempted to wring his clothing out before simply shrugging the effort off as wasted, he was wet, it was raining, there was little to be done until they had a place to sleep for the night. Hopefully a dry place.

He focused on the newcomer, Brennan, or so the young man claimed. "Waterbender, eh?" he rumbled. "I think you would not be of use to us in the desert. I should think too that your master would not be found in such a place."

"One's ability to bend does not encompass one's value as an asset. I am many things, a man first, a bender last. We, as people, are capable of a great many feats, least of all, bending." The hollow monk remained eerily calm. The big man heard, but he didn't listen, and Brennan had little time to stand here and debate. "As I know my Sifu better than those present, I will keep my own counsel on where I might locate him."

"I guess that's true, Brennan, we don't know anything about the Sifu," Rikka said, lips twisted with considering something Brennan had said. "But what I want to know is why would you need to unlock seven chakrams? Why would you lock seven chakrams together in the first place? That doesn't seem to be very useful, unless you wanted a chain. And it would be a weird chain, with the links too big and it wouldn't be very long."

He looked at Rikka, his blood red eyes catching her reflection and casting it back at her. He did not seem amused but nor did he seem offended by the lovely blond's misunderstanding of his previous statement. "Not 'chakram', Rikka. Chakra. No 'm'. A chakra is one of the seven centers of spiritual energy in the human body."

He gestured with his hands, swaying his palm back and forth in a wavy motion ever so slowly. The rain that had soaked Rikka swiftly separated itself from her, tickling her curves as it freed it's hold on her body and clothing leaving her completely dry, save for some residual moisture. The result was a wavering semi-globe of water that hovered in place like a crystal sphere above his hand. "My path to the first chakra, Muladhara, or 'earth', I believe lies within the desert and in turn may offer me clues where my Sifu has hidden."

Slowly the water-ball hovered away, stretching into a flowing 'rope' that cascaded into one of the animal's water troughs. One of the stabled animals befan to drink and the slight curl of a grin forced its way to his lips as he saw the animal was cared for. "Water is life's mater and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." He said softly, obviously repeating something he'd heard before.

Tora smiled at Brin as she murmured, "Only Earth Benders are useful in a desert? I guess my bow counted for naught." Her words could have been harsh, but her tone was soft and almost playful.

Brennan and Rikka's words pulled her attention back to them. "I have seen this first hand," Tora said softly in reply to Brennan's last statement. She wasn't sure the young man believed what he was saying; he was hard to read emotionally. The expression in her unusual eyes were speculative as she watched the animal drink the rain that had just come off of Rikka. Another woman would have been upset at the 'special treatment' the prettier blonde had received, but Tora wasn't that kind of woman. Instead, she took another step closer to the young man.

"I was once healed... no, I was once saved by a water bender who was skilled in the healing arts," she said simply. "If you wish to come, Brennan, I have no reason to stop you. Indeed, I fear we will need your talents, in our travels."

Brennan placed a clenched fist against an open palm and bowed to Tora. "You have my thanks, Lady Zheng." His arms and hands disappeared underneath his cloak and his face was once again covered as he lowered his head to hide himself away it seemed. "I shall guard you all with my meager life."

Tora smiled; something about the man's earnestness amused her. "Thank you. I have hope that we won't need to go so far as to take your life from you."

The matter settled, she turned to Ryka and began to examine her mount. The familiar actions and motions calmed her quickly, and her mind was less troubled when she turned from her beloved mount.

"Rikka, Brin - where should we go from her, to make inquiries?" She looked from the sand-bender to the earth-bender. "You would know more than I."

"The market!" Rikka proposed instantly. She was starting to warm up and dry out in the heated interior of the stables, her misery sloughing away like a snake-ferret's fur, a grin coming back to her mobile features. There were always things to fine in the markets - maybe she'd be able find some those glowing crystals no one was paying attention to wanted.

"I've never been in a city anywhere near this big before, but there must be markets that are open all night, right? Maybe even more than one. Vendors have pretty sharp eyes and ears - don't I know it! They're always accusing me of this and that!" Eyes widened and mouth tightened in innocent outrage, before her expression turned back to honest inquiry. "Maybe they've seen or heard something."

Brin stared off into the evening silently. Having lived for so long on the wrong side of the law, at least according to those who made the laws, he had long ago made fast freinds with suspicion and distrust. Now he felt their familiar presence again at the arrival of this young man who had thrust himself into their party. Brin's face was an unreadable mask of stone however, not even little Rikka could have figured his thoughts based on his appearance, though if she stopped to ponder his silence she might well puzzle it out.

"Brin?" Tora's voice brought him out of his thoughts and he slowly turned his face down and away from the spectacular panorama of the city.

"Huh?"

"Where should we go?" she asked, "Rikka thinks maybe we can find a market that is still open. What do you think?"

Brin rolled his shoulders in a ponderous shrug, "I have never been to Ba Sing Se. I can only assume that like Omashu and other cities that information can be found in the markets, inns, and tap-houses. Perhaps we should locate lodging for ourselves and see where that takes us?"

Tora nodded and headed for the door, purpose in her stride. At the exit, she paused and glanced up at the falling rain with haughty distaste. When the weather failed to heed to her silent desires, she ducked back into the falling water, seeking the closest inn with rooms to spare.

• 2 weeks later...

Rikka stuck her tongue out at Brin, blowing a raspberry, then skipped after Tora. Brin probably just suggested getting lodgings first to delay going to the markets. It wasn't her fault that the vendors were always so suspicious - she was just looking. Her bouncing strides came to a staggering halt when she got to the door and found the rain still falling.

Her hateful glower had no more effect on the weather than Tora's contemptuous regard. After a long moment - and the shadow of a smirk from Brin - Rikka dashed out after Tora, hands rubbing her shoulders to stave off the chill from the rain. Sharp, desperate eyes searched the drizzling gloom, then Rikka pointed forward in victory.

"There! I see one, an inn." The sign swinging from a wrought-iron brace was indistinct in the darkness. It could have belonged to an inn or a haberdasher.

Tora nodded and led the group to the inn, peering through the darkness to see if it was an inn. Satisfied that she'd found one, she stepped inside, shaking her clothes to get the worse of the water off of her. The puddle by the door indicated that she wasn't the first to do this.

Walking to the man who appeared to be in charge, she asked, "How much for a room?"

• 2 weeks later...

"A room? for all four of you? Let´s keep it at 50 pieces per head, on this rainy night I don´t want to throw anybody with money to the street." the inn keeper smiled wide, "I mean, you all look like fine travelers who hardly sleep on the ground, so I would hope you can enjoy your stay."

"Fifty!" Rikka exclaimed in rural amazement. "And people call me a thief!" The desert-bred sandbender gave a sharp sniff, but getting out of the rain was far too appealing, so quick hands dug around in various pockets and pouches and folds of cloth until she dug out fifty coins and reluctantly handed them over to the innkeeper.

Rikka strutted into the inn, pausing just inside the door to shake herself like a wet dog-rabbit, flinging water everywhere. She wrung out her faded blond then hastened to their room, seeking to claim her spot first.

• 2 weeks later...

Once Rikka got inside of the room, she found the accommodations, adequate at best. The room included two bunk beds, a desk, a window with an old shutter that did not kept the full fury of the elements outside and the desk had a single shutter lamp with a glowing rock, like the ones in the streets but smaller.

Behind the shutter the sound of thunder could be heard, as could be the incessant drumming of the water on the walls and floor, some voice could be heard too of people running through the streets, the light was very soft inside the room tanks to the closed window and the half shuttered lamp, perfect for resting without being too dark to see anything, each of the beds seemed to be filled with hay inside a thick layer of cotton, the humidity did not make for a great smell, but the beds looked comfortable and they have quilts to keep the cold at bay. The room itself was on the smaller side, and being all up and above at the same time was against advice. The first one to enter the room is Rikka, her wet hair resisting her best attempts at drying it on the way there.

Once inside the room, Rikka did a quick survey of the accommodations, eyes lingering on the rock-crystal lamp, then unslung her pack and threw up onto one of the top bunks. After opening the shutters on the lamp all the way open, she scampered up the bunk bed after her pack.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, swinging her legs, head ducking low beneath the eaves, Rikka pulled out a towel somewhat less wet than her hair and began briskly drying her sun-bleached locks. The finger on one sly hand began twirling, the chuck of glowing crystal within the lamp beginning to slowly resolve.

"Well... this is... cozy, but at least it's outta the rain, right?"

• 2 weeks later...

Cozy it was, the room with all four people inside of it and all the windows shut was warm enough to not need much on the way of heating it up, the rock lamp emitted a warm glow but not enough to keep even a cup of tea warm.

As the night went on, and some of the travelers went to sleep, the sound of knocking in the door came to the room. "I´m sorry to awaken you." the voice of the innkeeper greeted them "It seems there is some problems with your coin, may I ask the young lady with you to step outside?" the voice was slightly different, but it was late and he probably was trying to keep his cool. "Its important."

Click to reveal..

Perception (Mind + Heightened Awareness) DC 14 to know if something is up.

Tora stood up and grabbed her bow and an arrow. Standing near the back wall, lined up a shot that would hit a man in the stomach. With a mere whisper of noise, she drew her weapon taut. "Which young lady?" she said loudly enough to be heard through the door. "There are two of us in here."

She kept her focus on the door, waiting for further signs of hostility.

Ears tuned to the silences and whispering wind of the desert twitched at the sound of knocking coming from their door and the shuffling feet beyond. Rikka instantly popped to a kneeling crouch on the bunk, her tousled-haired head brushing the ceiling beams, crimson, crystalline blades gleaming a dark purple in the bluish glow from the lamp.

Head twitching like a nervous magpie-raccoon, Rikka looked for another way out, teeth gritting every time her lime green eyes returned to the door.

"It's not me - I didn't do it - you got the wrong girl!" she protested.

Brin rolled his eyes and looked at Rikka steadily. "It's not me - I didn't do it - you got the wrong girl!" she protested, to which he arched an eyebrow by way of reply. He moved to the door and then allowed himself to feel the vibrations coming in through the door and up from the floor, allowing an image to form in his mind of the situation outside the door.

Click to reveal..
2d6+4=8

I don't know what Heightened Awareness is but its not on my sheet. Do I get a bonus for seismic sense?

"The brown haired young lady, like I said it`s probably a misunderstanding and we can sort it out, if you just open the door." the voice sounded bit more strained, having to raise it`s volume over the background noise of the rain.

"It will be a quick matter, just have to see your papers to check them out."

Click to reveal..
Tora and Brin don`t notice much, Rikka on the other hand notices that something is up with the voice, it`s very different on its tone from the friendly inn keeper that was tending earlier to you guys.

Rikka's green eyes widened in surprise as she glanced at Tora. They're not looking for me? How... odd, I mean, of course! Why would they be looking for me? I didn't do anything wrong! The slender, wiry girl sucked at a lip, looking back and forth between the shuttered window and door and the voices whispering beyond. Their available choices were potentially dire: go back out in the rain or face the voice beyond the door, and voice that sounded entirely too much like a disapproving guardsman, though really, was there any other kind?

Rikka scampered atop the bunk, poking her head over the side to look down at Tora. "What did you do?" Rikka asked in an excited, conspiratorial whisper. "It doesn't sound like the innkeeper out there. We... we might have to risk the <shudder> rain."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived