Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - S1:E2: Iratus

Dawn OOC

Goro set down his pack and disentangled the defibrillator unit from it. He rummaged about and removed a frighteningly large needle that was sterile packed with some kind of yellow fluid precharged in the barrel of the syringe. A couple of alcohol wipes went into an easy to access pocket and the needle went into his doctor's bag on top for easy access. "OK, good to go."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stunner struck true, and the creature dropped from its web. For a second, all was still, and Yseult took a breath of relief. "Alri-" Bates started to say.

The bug snapped into motion, leaping through the air. Anyone who had seen Alien had flashbacks to the facehuggers.

Click to reveal..
Join Battle rolls, folks; you can drop them in spoiler boxes if you don't want to make a full post. I know some people were ready to hit the bug, so I want people to get the chance to beat it on the attack.

"Putain de merde!" Yseult snarled, muscles bulging as she brought the Stunner up with both hands, prepared to pin the fugly-ass bug to the ground with the Stunner's narrow tip. Of course, this piece of shit had to be every bit as tough as the fucking Wraith.

Inoae yelped as the bug reared up again and grabbed Tara to pull her to the ground. She was frightened, and knew from listing to the males how dangerous a bug hunt could be; but her K- Yseult had told her to come on the hunt, and had told her to stay with Tara, so that's what she must do.

Click to reveal..
1d10=6, 1d10=5, 1d10=10, 1d10=1, 1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=6 4 suxx on Join Battle

Not making a grapple roll as Inoae is neither all that strong nor really putting a huge effort into pulling Tara down; roll with it however you want, BN.

Tara steps back, trying to shield Inoae. Shaking the girl off her gun arm, she shuffles Inoae to Tara's left, keeping her right side towards the bug while scanning the forest to their port side.

Click to reveal..
port = left, assuming the front side is the one towards the bug.

6d10=4,8,5,3,8,9 = 3 sux +1 E-Wits

(Tara has neither the strength nor skill to move Inoae by force, Tara's more nudging her and hoping her malleableness will make her move.)

Rather than lifting up his gun Dylan got the carrier ready. Remembering the wraith ship gave him an idea. "Put about five rounds in it and I will scoop it up." Five rounds might be overkill for something this small but if this thing had qualities like a wraith Dylan wasn't going to take chances. Not to mention Dylan wasn't looking forward to having his heart stopped if the thing attached to him.

Click to reveal..
Init roll: (17:52:24) ChatBot: (Dylan) rolls 5d10 and gets 10,3,3,2,8. (3 sux)

Total: 3 sux

There was a moment of pure chaos as people flinched from or jumped to the attack. Yseult could tell she'd have a chance to spear it before it got to her.

Click to reveal..
Inoae – Tick 0

Yseult, Dylan and Tara – Tick 1

Goro – Tick 2

Bates – Tick 3

Mr. Iratus – Tick 4

Bates’s Join Battle: 1 sux

1d10=2, 1d10=4, 1d10=2, 1d10=10, 1d10=3, 1d10=4

Mr. Iratus’s Join Battle: 0 sux

1d10=6, 1d10=1, 1d10=1, 1d10=6

The Lantean tugged at Tara's arm, then gave up and cowered on the ground.

Yseult is up first.

As the bug leapt towards them, Yseult strode forward, placing herself between the bug and the civilians (including the lawyer). She planted her feet, biceps bunching as she swung the Wraith Stunner back, then forward. The Stunner might have had a cruddy design for a ranged weapon, but it worked just fine for hand-to-hand. The thick stock also provided an impediment to counterattack.

Click to reveal.. (Stabbity!)

Action: Attack (Speed 4, DV -1)

Dexterity + Melee + Weapon = 10d10

Stunner Stabbity to Hit: 10d10.hits(7) = 9 successes

Damage = 7d10L + Threshold Successes

Next Tick: 5, Dodge DV 4, Parry DV 5

• 4 weeks later...

The sharp end of the Stunner speared the bug true in the torso. Yseult grinned with pleasure as she watched it writhe on the inpromtu spear. Bates relaxed fractionally and said, "Good aim, Sargeant."

The pinned bug emitted a high-pitched buzzing noise, which was answered by answering buzzes from the area around them.

Dylan, you're up. Since I know you're out of town, you have to Monday to reply.

"Well that's not good." Dylan hurried over with the carrier and held it open for them.

"Lets bag the catch quickly and get back to the gate. I would be willing to bet these things are territorial and may swarm us now that we are a threat."

He also went ahead and flipped the safety off the P90 and kept his eyes peeled for "back up".

Click to reveal..
Per+Awa 5dice

(23:44:03) ChatBot: (Dylan) rolls 5d10 and gets 3,8,7,8,4.

Total: 3 sux

• 3 weeks later...

Bates grabbed the creature just behind the head without hesitation that should be utilized for a creature that could suck the life force out of a person. In one smooth movement, pulled it free of the spear and shoved it into the box.

"Everyone, fall back," Bates ordered tersely. "Stay close, don't bunch up and don't run."

Something sprang through the air at him, slamming into his back. It's was one of the Iratus bugs, and it clawed at his backpack with spindly legs before slipping off his back and falling to the ground.

The two that sprung at Dylan and Yseult had better luck. The one attacking him wrapped itself around the arm holding the cage; the one on her snagged her right leg.

Click to reveal..
Three Iratus attacks

Bates (DC 3): 0 sux, miss (botch, to be exact)

Yseult (DV 4): 7 sux, hit

Dylan (DV 3): 4 sux, hit

Yseult and Dylan are now Grappled (pg 200) and Inactive (pg 191). The sidebar on pg 189: "Inactive (Spd 5/DV 0): Be incapable of taking actions. This state represents characters who are sleeping, unconscious, bound or otherwise unable to act or defend themselves." To free themselves, they need to roll contested ([Dexterity or Strength] + Brawl with their Mr. Iratus.

The bug is doing no damage this round. It hasn't bitten in or started to suck their life. That will change if they can't get them off.

Tara - Tick 4

Inoae and Goro – Tick 5

Yseult and Dylan - Tick 6

Bates and Mr. Iratus – Tick 8

Tara is up next

Inoae shot up from her position, scrabbling next to Ysuelt in an attempt to pull the bright blue bug off of her Yseult Moreau. And an attempt was all it was; she missed her footing on an exposed root and valiantly fell onto Ysuelt's stomach and rolled off into the ground next to her. As the world spun, she wondered why this place had to be so....knobby. The hive was always sleek and above all smooth where you walked. That was better, because then you didn't fall down so much.

Click to reveal..

"What the ...?" For a moment Goro was torn between his gear, all set up and ready to go, and the imminent danger that his teammates were in. Jumping into action he dashed forward and made for the iratus that was grasped onto the closest of his friends.

Click to reveal..
Grapple?

Dex 3 + Brawl 0 = 3

(22:58:21) ChatBot: (Goro) rolls 3d10 and gets 3,3,10.

Woot!

He reached Dylan first. Goro got his hands a body about as thick as a beer can, but this form was hard and slick under his hands. As his brain irrationally attempted to equate the sensation under his skin with something familiar, he got a firm grip and prayed.

Click to reveal..
Yseult and Dylan - Tick 6

Tara - Tick 7

Bates and Mr. Iratus - Tick 8

Inoae and Goro - Tick 10

Yseult is up.

"Goddamn-Putain de Merde-Fuck!" Yse growled in a foul-mouthed litany as the big bug latched onto her leg and Inoae tripped over the ground and bounced off her abdomen. Other than a fierce light in her icy-blue eyes, the amazonian sergeant stayed under rigid control, beautiful face smooth despite the large, alien bug tightening around her muscular thigh.

"Inoae, get up and move back with the others, don't wait for me," Yseult said (ordered) firmly as she planted the Wraith Stunner in the ground point first then reached down with strong hands for the sleekly carapaced insect(?) on her thigh. Using her leverage, she gripped it tight as she twisted it, then yanked up with a grunt, the muscles in her forearms bunching.

Click to reveal..

Dexterity + Brawl: 9d10.hits(7) = 2 successes

Boo! I think some of Inoae's botch rubbed off on me. laugh

Yseult's strong fingers pulled at the bug holding to her leg, but couldn't get a grip on the hard, slick shell.

Click to reveal..
Mr. Iratus gets 4 sux on his attempt to hold onto Yseult. He is not pulled free.
Click to reveal..
Dylan - Tick 6

Tara - Tick 7

Inoae and Goro - Tick 10

Yseult - Tick 11

Dylan is up.

Dylan dropped the case and quickly put both his hands on the back end of the bug, not wanting to give it a chance to latch on to his hands. With quick care he tried to tear the bug off. What ever happened he was not going to panic.

Click to reveal..
Str + Brawl 5 dice

(10:31:06) ChatBot: (Dylan) rolls 5d10 and gets 1,9,10,8,6.

4 success

Dylan could feel that it's grip on him wasn't firm yet and with a grunt, he yanked the bug free. He held it up, victorious. It writhed in his grip, and he couldn't help but remember the proverb about grabbing the wolf by the ears...

Click to reveal..
Mr. Iratus' Grapple check: 0 sux

I guess they do just hate Yseult!

Goro, when you're up, feel free to move to Yseult to help her. I'm not wasting your action just because Dylan got lucky. laugh

Click to reveal.. (Initiative)
Tara - Tick 7

Inoae and Goro - Tick 10

Yseult and Dylan - Tick 11

Tara is up

Click to reveal..
I swear, swear I meant the part about shooting everyone as a joke.
Dex2+Marksmanship1+Aim3 = double botch (1,1,2,4,4,6)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2706339/

Tara tries to follow the squirming bug as Dylan pulls it off his arm and raises it into the air, her finger squeezing the trigger before her conscious mind can catch up to the sudden shift in location.

Click to reveal..
I'm sorry!

Tara's finger convulsed around the trigger as she tried to keep a bead on the Iratus bug. But Dylan moved faster than she did and she knew she didn't hit the bug.

Instead, Bates yelped and dropped to the side, almost falling. He straightened up, but now blood ran down his right shoulder, and his arm hung semi-uselessly.

Click to reveal.. (The Odds)
Bates 1-2

Other Iratus 3

Inoae 4

Goro 5

Yseult 6

Dylan 7-10

Tara's roll to determine who was shot: 1d10=1

Wounding your CO isn't going to look good on your record, Commander. wink

Damage roll: 1d10=7, 1d10=10, 1d10=8 = 4 sux

Nice shootin' Tex.

"Cease fire!" Bates roared, even though Tara had only fired one round. This wasn't completely unreasonable, as her pistol was still more or less pointed at him. "Harvey, get that thing into the box!"

Pointing the gun down was easy now, so Bates fired at the bug that had bounced off him, drawing another round of sreeches from the unseen bugs. The bullets tore into the tiny body and it essentially exploded.

The bug in Dylan and Goro's hands attempted to free itself, writhing wildly. Dylan barely kept his grip on the smooth, hard shell; had Goro not been helping, it probably would have wiggled free.

Click to reveal.. (Numbers)
Bates attack on prone target: 3 sux

Damage: 4L

Mr. Iratus' attempt to free itself from Dylan's grapple: 3 sux

Dylan's opposed roll: 2 sux + 1 bonus for Goro's help.

Mr. Iratus is still grappled.

Other Mr. Iratus' action is to cinch Yseult: 2 sux

Yseult needs to make a Stamina+Fort check vs Diff 2

Click to reveal.. (Character status)
Bates - 4L

Inoae - unhurt

Goro - unhurt

Yseult - grappled, damage pending roll wink

Tara - unhurt

Mr. Iratus #1: dead

Mr. Iratus #2: grappling Yseult, unhurt

Mr. Iratus #3: freed from Dylan's grapple, unhurt

Inoae and Goro - Tick 10

Tara - Tick 12

Bates and Mr. Iratus 2 & 3- Tick 13

Inoae is next

Inoae rolled up off Yseult Moreau's legs, her eyes wide in terror as the bug attached itself. Panicking, she picked up the P90 that had been clipped to Yseult's pack; she knew she would be punished by Cap Tan Bates, but she had to protect her Yseult Moreau.

She knelt down and placed the barrel directly against the bug, aiming slightly up to keep from shooting her Yseult Moreau in the leg - or the head. The heat of the discharge from the barrel left angry red marks down Yseult's leg; the bug splattered everywhere else.

Click to reveal..
Sorry for the lack of Invisible Castle for this roll. It wouldn't load for me for some reason. I used the D&D dice roller.

Dex + Marksmanship + Weapon = 4d10

Roll(4d10)+0: 9,4,8,3,+0

2 suxx

Carver said that the bug had no DV because it's in a grapple, so if I read the rules right, that means 5L (2 for successes and +3 for the weapon). Please let me know if I've missed something in the rules and I'll adjust the post.

Bates - 4L
Inoae - unhurt
Goro - unhurt
Yseult - 1B (from Inoae's maneuver)
Tara - unhurt
Mr. Iratus #2: dead
Mr. Iratus #3: freed from Dylan's grapple, unhurt

Goro - Tick 10
Tara - Tick 12
Bates and Mr. Iratus 2 & 3- Tick 13
Inoae - 15

Goro is next

Goro flipped the crate onto its end with his foot and guided the struggling, squirming insectoid toward the opening, "Dylan, help me get this thing in there so we can get out of here!"

Click to reveal..
I don't know what needs to be rolled besides another grapple check.

holding for 1 tick till 11 to act at the same time as Dylan and ...

Grapple!

Spending 1 WP

3d10=[3,9,10] = 3 +1 sux = 4 sux (woot Goro missed his calling as a wrestler)

Yse barely refrained from flinching when Inoae braced the P-90 against her thigh, thus fortunately ending up wearing bug-goop rather than bullets, though Inoae earned herself a fierce grimace of gritted teeth as the hot muzzle seared her leg. But at least the damned bug was gone.

"Give me that!" Yseult growled, flipping instantly to her feet with a fluid grace that ignored the pain in her leg, as she grabbed the P90 from Inoae's grasp. Once more on her feet, the brawny woman held her piece of lethal polymers and lightweight alloys at the ready, her free hand hauling her slender, blond shadow to her feet.

"Inoae, pick-up the stunner, then start moving back to the Puddlejumper," Yseult commanded, her voice terse but cool as she icy blue eyes scanned for anymore of the damned bugs. "Move quick, but run."

Click to reveal..

Athletics to regain footing: 10d10.hits(7) = 6 Successes Moves getting up to a Reflective Action.

Multiple Actions: 2 Miscellaneous Actions - Getting the P90 and Hauling Inoae to her feet (Speed 5, DV -1, Dice Penalty for Multiple Actions doesn't apply since both are Diceless).

Perception Roll, just in case: 7d10.hits(7) = 2 Successes

Next Tick: 16, DV: 4

Dylan gave a quick nod and worked with Goro to get the wriggling specimen in to its cage. He really needed to rethink this whole off world mission thing.

Click to reveal..
Str + Brawl 5 dice

(23:49:29) ChatBot: (Dylan) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,8,6,7,4.

3 sux on getting bug in carrier with Goro.

The two men thrust downward in unison. Like a cat facing a similar entrance into a carrier, the bug spread its legs and tried to catch itself on the open door. It was no match for the combined efforts of Dylan and the amateur wrestler Goro and its legs slipped off the edge. Together the men got the door closed, then looked at each other with mutual glee. I could almost hear them gloating “Score one for the big brained guys!”

Bates - 4L

Inoae - unhurt

Goro - unhurt

Yseult - 1B (from Inoae's maneuver)

Tara - unhurt

Mr. Iratus #2: dead

Mr. Iratus #3: captured and with 2B (taken when it botched on its opposed grapple with Goro and Dylan

Combat is over… for now.

“Let’s… go,” Bates said, his mocha skin starting to look like someone had given him too much cream. “Everyone… move it! Moreau… you’re our tail. Back to the puddlejumper!”

Click to reveal.. (Instructions)
Everyone, give me a Dex + Athletics if you’re running. Everyone give me a Perc + Awareness roll.

Inoue picked up the stunner, showing in her mostly sure movements that undrugged, she knew how to handle the thing. Following her Yseult Moreau's orders and Cap Tan Bates' orders, she took off for the puddlejumper at a run.

Click to reveal..

Goro dashed over to his stuff and managed to somehow sling everything over his shoulders and back before going back to Bates. "Gimme your arm, no arguing. You've been shot in the leg and every step you take is just gonna make that wound worse. Even if it was a through an through you're still bleeding so just come on!" He got the other man's arm around his shoulder and the two began a slow trot toward the puddle-jumper at the best speed they could manage.

Click to reveal..
Dex 3 + Athletics 1

1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=5 => 1 sux

Perc 4 + Awareness 3

1d10=7, 1d10=4, 1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=6, 1d10=3, 1d10=1 => 2 sux

Guarding their tail, Yseult followed the others, booted feet flowing through the foliage with a smooth economy of motion, P90 held across her chest. On every other step, she glanced over a shoulder, icy eyes scanning a portion of their trail with a practiced motion, near then far, left to right. The burn on her thigh itched, but her breathing was measured and steady.

Dylan drew his pistol and held the carrier in his other hand. He didn't want to try to be that accurate with a P90 with only one hand to hold the gun. As they moved he kept an eye on the trees they were moving through. If there was one thing he hated it was running in to a spider's web and with these spiders it carried a heavy consequence.

Click to reveal..
Dex + Athletics: 6 dice

(22:16:44) ChatBot: (Dylan) rolls 6d10 and gets 7,3,9,8,8,3. (4 sux)

Perception + Awareness: 5 dice

(22:17:50) ChatBot: (Dylan) rolls 5d10 and gets 3,3,7,10,10. (5 sux)

Bates must have been injured before; he seemed to know how to handle himself in bad terrain with a wound slowing him. He moved easily and rapidly, even steadying Goro once when the top-heavy doctor nearly fell. It was a hellish run through the woods, with the screeching fading behind them and dodging the webs which seemed to pop up out of the foliage.

They were nearly to the puddle jumper when Dylan heard something. Glancing back, he saw a Wraith at the tree line just to their east, leveling a stunner at Yseult. "Yseult!" Dylan shouted as he stopped and fired off a burst at the Wraith. He missed, but thankfully his attack caused the Wraith to miss her, as well.

Behind the Wraith was another motion of something large and man-shaped. There was more than one.

Click to reveal..
You guys can see your ship; if everyone wants to run for it and leave, we don't have to do combat rounds. If you want to stay and fight the Wraith, we'll need Initiative.

Archived