Star Wars: The New Sith Empire - Star Wars: OOC Thread

Dave ST

Originally Posted By: Jedi
Also, I'm new to this system so I welcome suggestions. Like for example, I didn't even think about activating Battle Mind. So I'll activate it next round.

If your intention was to close into melee range in Round 1, you could have charged and attacked in one Full-round Action, instead of using 2 Move Actions.

Or you could have closed halfway to activate Battlemind, with the intent of moving in during the next round.

The sticky point is whether you get your Move Action on the following round. Deflecting blaster shots takes it away, so you might have to choose between activating Battlemind or Attacking. That choice is almost a tossup; gaining a +3 bonus to attack for your Defected blaster shots versus a regular attack.

You can use a 2-meter step to shift around your opponents to keep from blocking fire from our allies.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Akira
Joram though, has a problem. He deflected a blast, costing him a Move Action on his next turn IIRC. So he can either attack or use Battlemind, correct?

Correct, he can attack or use battlemind. Since his attack roll was enough to hit the stormtrooper without the bonus the Force skill gives him, his best bet would be to activate it next round.

Quote:
Also Akira did not deflect any shots, correct? Thus leaving her with a Move Action allowable.

Incorrect. You used the 'Deflect' ability which provides you a bonus to Defense (Defense) and the option to redirect (Attack). Unfortunately Akria's Defense is cranked so high that the chances of her having the opportunity for Deflect (Attack) are rather slim.

Either way, she made use of the ability and thus loses a move action in the next round.

Quote:
I was wondering about that AoO though. What triggered it? In round 2 Akira will close range and I wouldn't think that would invoke an AoO on her part either.

I stated why: Because of their sheer numbers. There are so many of them that anyone charging forward while they're releasing a hail of blaster fire has a good chance of getting hit by at least one random stormtrooper.

Leaving cover while there is a small battalion shooting at you is always a risk.

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Quote:
Also Akira did not deflect any shots, correct? Thus leaving her with a Move Action allowable.

Incorrect. You used the 'Deflect' ability which provides you a bonus to Defense (Defense) and the option to redirect (Attack). Unfortunately Akria's Defense is cranked so high that the chances of her having the opportunity for Deflect (Attack) are rather slim.

Either way, she made use of the ability and thus loses a move action in the next round.

Hmmm, when I read this in the rules it wasn't crystal clear, I guess. I thought that for the Move Action to actually get charged, she had to deflect a shot. It's a Reaction move that is used to keep her from getting hit. If the incoming fire is not good enough to deflect then she doesn't get charged, no? But if all it takes for the Move Action to get charged if for them to shoot at her, hit or miss, then that's different.

Sorry if this might sound like beating a dead horse, but I need to fully understand it for the future, since my take on the rules appears to be a little different.

Knowing how high her defense is I was gambling that she would not get charged the Move Action unless she redirected a shot back at the troopers. This changes my tactics if my understanding is incorrect.

I stated why: Because of their sheer numbers. There are so many of them that anyone charging forward while they're releasing a hail of blaster fire has a good chance of getting hit by at least one random stormtrooper.

Ahhh, ok. Missed that earlier. Is there a point where they don't get this free AoO as their numbers dwindle? With a few being taken out every round and Akira, potentially losing her Move Action halfway there, it might make a difference in my tactics.

I also have a quick rules question. In the book under 'Quick Turns' it says: "A quick turn can allow a starship to make a tight turn within a single square. To turn without first moving forward 1 square requires a successful pilot check." It then goes on to say that the diagram shows the DC's for the turns.

To me, that seems to imply that to turn after moving forward 1 square doesn't require a pilot check.

What's your ruling? Depending on what you say I might have to/could if you allow modify my post (I would much rather ionize the shuttles than blast them).

Quote:
Hmmm, when I read this in the rules it wasn't crystal clear, I guess. I thought that for the Move Action to actually get charged, she had to deflect a shot. It's a Reaction move that is used to keep her from getting hit. If the incoming fire is not good enough to deflect then she doesn't get charged, no? But if all it takes for the Move Action to get charged if for them to shoot at her, hit or miss, then that's different.

It's okay, I've gone over this with many a Jedi at the table before. smile One thing that's forgotten or misinterrupted among PCs is that Deflect: Defend and Deflect: Attack (DD & DA) are not always active. You have to activate them in order to gain their benefits. As long as you benefit in some way, you've used the ability successfully and thus lose a move action in the next round.

In this case Akira benefited from a boost to her defense. This boost represents her deflecting blaster bolts coming at her (which prevented her from getting hit). Even a 1st Level Jedi is capable of deflecting blaster fire, and that deflection (represented by a boost to defense) costs them a move action in the next round.

I've had several players feel that it makes the ability sort of useless, but that's not true. Most double moves will get you into melee range easily and the whole time you're sending attacks back at the attackers. By the time you close for melee you don't need a move action anymore unless it's to activate a Force Skill. My Jedi was fond of melee combat with lightsaber wielding Dark Jedi while deflecting incoming blaster fire from all around him. He defeated the two Dark Jedi he was fighting and by not needing to move anywhere but 2-meter steps he slaughtered the fifteen guys taking pot-shots at him with their own blaster bolts. This was quite a cinematic battle to RP out.

The most over looked feature of DD & DA, and where it shines the brightest, is that it's a reaction! That means it interrupts an attack, even if that attack has already hit you.

Example: Akira is a 9th level Jedi with a current Defense of 15 and DD +2. A Stormtrooper fires at her and scores a 16, a hit! Trusting in the Force and her honed Jedi reflexes she manages the impossible. Activating her Deflect Defense +2 her Defense score immediately increases to 17, the Stormtrooper misses and the shot now qualifies for her redirect it back at her attacker. With skill and grace the bolt bounces off her shimmering blue blade and scores a hit on the breast plate of the Stormtroopers armor sending the poor Imperial collapsing to the ground.

That's the glory of DD and DA. Those abilities can further increased once the Jedi masters lightsaber forms like Soresu and Djem So.

Most high-level Jedi can advance on a squad of Stormtroopers using nothing but DD & DA and wipe them out before they even close in for melee. I ran a group of 7 Jedi once, it was sick. I had to send them opposition in groups of 30 and 40 at a time to even challenge them.

Quote:
Is there a point where they don't get this free AoO as their numbers dwindle? With a few being taken out every round and Akira, potentially losing her Move Action halfway there, it might make a difference in my tactics.

It ends once you close in melee with them or keep in cover. As long as you're out in the open advancing on them they get a free AoO on you.

Quote:
I'm just wondering - are the Imperials advancing on us, or staying back and firing?

Little bit of both. Some are staying put, others are moving forward at half speed. I hadn't planned on lasting long enough to make it too close to you guys. This batch is pretty outmatched by the PCs. smile

Quote:
I also have a quick rules question. In the book under 'Quick Turns' it says: "A quick turn can allow a starship to make a tight turn within a single square. To turn without first moving forward 1 square requires a successful pilot check." It then goes on to say that the diagram shows the DC's for the turns.

To me, that seems to imply that to turn after moving forward 1 square doesn't require a pilot check.

I've had to handle this one before too.

This means that you have to first make a pilot check (usually at the DC of the maneuver about to be attempted) and if you fail this check you can not even begin to attempt the maneuver itself, your move action stops there and the ship does nothing. On the upside you usually don't have to worry about losing control or anything like that unless you're attempting something in the very dangerous area (like an asteroid field).

The pilot check to begin the maneuver is reactionary.

Example: R2-FX attempts to turn the ship 180 degrees while hovering above the trees. He opts to not move 1 square before attempting the maneuver and so makes a pilot check. He gets a total of 17 on the check, failing his target DC of 20. Since he failed the pilot check to begin the maneuver his movement for the round ends there (unless he wants to attempt a double move).

Turning the ship is still a maneuver, a 'quick turn' and still invokes the need for a pilot check, moving first just makes it easier (invoking only a single pilot check) since you can use the ships current momentum to turn it about.

Out of combat, most maneuvers do not require a roll unless you're pulling some stunts to show off or there are hazards to avoid.

moving first just makes it easier (invoking only a single pilot check) since you can use the ships current momentum to turn it about.

Sorry if I sound dense, but are you saying that not moving first means you have to roll twice? I didn't get that from any of the rules that I read. If you're saying that you have to roll once either way, I just wonder why they even bothered to put that paragraph that I quoted in (just to confuse us, I know).

And, I just wanted to point out that the book says that if you fail a quick turn roll of 90deg or more that you only turn 45deg, and if you fail a quick turn roll of less than 90deg you don't turn at all. I just wanted to point that out because in your explanation you made it sound like if you failed you never turned at all. If I misinterpreted that (you or the book) as well, please let me know.

Thanks Dave.

Can you clear up one last bit?

Example, Jedi with Defense of 17, using DD (+1) so that's 18 if needed. 1st trooper shoots a 16, miss. 2nd Trooper shoots a 19, hit. Is the Deflect charging a Move Action on the following round, since the Jedi did not deflect anything?

2nd Example: Jedi with Defense of 17 using DA(-4). Probably same answer, but making sure I understand correctly. 1st shot is an 11 (needs to be 12 to be redirected yes?) a miss and not redirected. Is the Move Action charged since the Jedi did not receive or use the benefit?

Quote:
Sorry if I sound dense, but are you saying that not moving first means you have to roll twice? I didn't get that from any of the rules that I read. If you're saying that you have to roll once either way, I just wonder why they even bothered to put that paragraph that I quoted in (just to confuse us, I know).

That's what I'm saying. To turn without first moving 1 square first requires a successful pilot check.

Have you moved 1 square? "No."
Make a pilot check. (Like the book states)

Did you succeed?

"Yes." Okay, you may now attempt your quick turn action, that requires a pilot check.

"No." Then none of your planned movement actions can take place, the ship does not move at all.

Quote:
And, I just wanted to point out that the book says that if you fail a quick turn roll of 90deg or more that you only turn 45deg, and if you fail a quick turn roll of less than 90deg you don't turn at all. I just wanted to point that out because in your explanation you made it sound like if you failed you never turned at all. If I misinterpreted that (you or the book) as well, please let me know.

On a quick turn action, you are right. The pilot roll you make for attempting to turn a ship without first moving it a square is not a quick turn action, it's a check to see if you manage to get the ship to begin the maneuver you're attempting. Failure of that roll means the maneuver can not happen (i.e. you don't move or turn at all).

That's why it's better to be in motion when you attempts stunts, turning a hovering ship in a combat scenario is not easy, especially 180 degrees.

Quote:
Example, Jedi with Defense of 17, using DD (+1) so that's 18 if needed. 1st trooper shoots a 16, miss. 2nd Trooper shoots a 19, hit. Is the Deflect charging a Move Action on the following round, since the Jedi did not deflect anything?

Yes hey still loose an action. They activated the ability, the gained a bonus to defense, they lose a move action in the following round.

Even though they got hit, they still made use of the ability.

Quote:
2nd Example: Jedi with Defense of 17 using DA(-4). Probably same answer, but making sure I understand correctly. 1st shot is an 11 (needs to be 12 to be redirected yes?) a miss and not redirected. Is the Move Action charged since the Jedi did not receive or use the benefit?

They activated the ability. Even if they didn't use it, they still activated it and it costs them a move action in the following round.

Ok, now what you're saying makes sense (though I might still wish it otherwise).

It does, however, make me wonder why WotC didn't just add in 1 meesley, extra word.

"To turn without first moving forward 1 square requires an additional successful pilot check."

That would've cleared up all of these questions (mine at least).

Thank you Dave.

Quote:

They activated the ability. Even if they didn't use it, they still activated it and it costs them a move action in the following round.

Thanks, last question.

In table top it is a Reaction, stated when the GM says you are being shot at. In PbP it's a little different since we plan on contingencies and it's hard too interrupt the GM during his posting.

So if I post that Akira will use DD & DA, but she is NOT shot at, then the Move Action is not charged, correct?

Correct. As long as you let me know that you only want it used as a reaction to (potentially) save your PC from some hurt, then I'll only 'charge' you if it actually gets use.

Keep in mind though that I'll also 'charge' you if the attack roll was a hit, but DD would not have saved you.

It may sound silly to do so, but honestly the PCs do not rate things in 13s and 15s, if they see an attack coming, they defend themselves by reacting to the attack. Sometimes they fail and get hit any way. Point being they don't prep to defend themselves, say 'Ugh, crap, it's an 18, my DD bonus won't save me...' and lower their blade and take the hit to save them a move action next round. Self-preservation demands they at least try.

Quick question Dave. Would I be able to do the following:

As a move action, set the speed of the ship (on it's current heading).

As another move action, move to and jump out of the back of the ship (possibly opening the back door as a free action before he leaves the cockpit).

As a free action, activate repulsorlift.

Follow up question: Would his repulsorlifts (or tree branches, or whatever) be able to 'soften' the fall enough that he wouldn't destroy himself trying this? Or would he know that his repulsorlifts don't have enough range/power to help him.

Oh, and Layel, sorry 'bout the ship...

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
As a move action, set the speed of the ship (on it's current heading).
As another move action, move to and jump out of the back of the ship (possibly opening the back door as a free action before he leaves the cockpit).
As a free action, activate repulsorlift.

Well, once you move the ship, it starts to move at a pretty good speed. Were the combat not taking place at point-blank range then yeah, the idea is sound, but once FX starts the movement he'd have little time to get out the back.

His best bet is to simply bail out the back and hope the explosion disguises him as debris...

You'll take some falling damage, but all in all the droid should survive... until the ship's owner gets a hold of it.

Yeah, I was afraid of not having enough time to get out the back... any way to jury rig a time delay (on the throttle) and jump... in one round (tie a string to the throttle? *shrugs*)?

And I was hoping that, maybe, possibly, they would see it as fleeing and let it go (like the commander wanted to originally). I realize now that that's not very likely, but it gives the ship a better shot than does staying in the fight.

He opened fire on Imperials, that ship is toast dude, we all know it at this point.

The question now is: do you go down with it?

Your best bet is to just get the hell out of Dodge. Even if the ship flees, they'll gun it down on principal at this point. If the Empire was made up of practical, mercy granting individuals... they wouldn't be the bad guys. wink

He'd have to turn about to collide with them... I was thinking a long, graceful, deadly turn... if he could hop into an escape pod just before impact.

Otherwise it's a moot point and his self preservation will override his desire to not destroy this ship, and he'll bail. The good part for him, Layel'll never know that it was R2-FX that stole and subsequently destroyed his ship (unless FX tells him). Another thing... Dave was going to give us a ship anyways, right? Something that says/spells 'hope' and 'allegiance' *wink wink*

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
The good part for him, Layel'll never know that it was R2-FX that stole and subsequently destroyed his ship (unless FX tells him).

You assume a bit too much.

There are hundreds of people around, most of which were fleeing for their lives when the assassination attempt happened. The possibility of one of them seeing FX board the ship is not unlikely.

Also, there is another way... which I'll not say to prevent it from being meta-gamed.

All in all, don't just assume you're not accountable for destroying someone's 175,000"7 ship... he might have some explaining to do eventually.

*takes tongue out of cheek* Yeah, I know. Assuming I survive all of this, I'll have to account for everything that I did. The fact that he rolled out right after the assassin struck, the fact that he was nowhere near the temple during the fight... those could all give the wrong impression. Destroying a friendly ship, yeah, that'll come up... eventually. Whenever is fine, he'll deal with it, and hopefully there won't be any PC vs. PC action.

My actual question in that post, was would FX be able to survive ramming one of the shuttles and/or would he be able to set that course and hop in an escape pod. I'm assuming not, as I think I hear your diabolical laugh in my head, but I'm just wanting to be sure (I've been wrong before).

You ask a lot of questions that deal with 'can I survive this or that' and these are statistical things that deal with asking me the outcome of an event before it's happened.

For reference, if I'm asked 'will I survive XX?' I'm generally not going to reply. I do not mind assisting PCs, but if your asking me if he'll survive ramming then I recommend you ram them and find out.

As for an escape pod, again, that plan has about as much chance of success as him just rolling himself out the cargo ramp but it is possible. Hop in the pod and launch yourself, although an escape pod is a much larger target than a simple droid...

I'd like to take a moment and address something.

I've caught people cheating.

Who you are is irrelevant. How you justify it is irrelevant. Whatever excuses you use to make it sound otherwise, is irrelevant. The fact remains, I've caught you.

Let's take a look at something, shall we?

I take people at their word for the rolls they make and post.

You though, the players, don't really win or lose anything by 'cheating', all you really do is lie to yourself and us.

Read that carefully, I'll wait.

I took people at their word, and they those to cheat. This means that those I caught have absolutely zero credibility with me right now.

It also means that those I've caught chose to lie to me as well as the other players, and for what? A lucky die roll? Seriously, was it worth it?

I'll be clear: I'm not mad. Not in the slightest. I've lied and cheated plenty in my day and I admit it freely. It's not the action but the accountability that those responsible should be worried about. I will never blame a person for being human and making a mistake, but I do hold people accountable for what they've done.

What you've done is proven to me that I, and other players and STs here at RPG-Post, cannot trust you. Regaining that trust is going to be a hard climb.

In the future, if I catch anyone 'cheating' (without my okay, of course) they're no longer welcome in this game.

Dave, I got question on the mechanics of Fear after I read the Revised Core Rules. I must say it appears to be quite powerful and unbalanced (doesn't cost 2VP per +2 result), but I guess that's the lure of the Dark Side. wink

There was no duration listed, so I am wondering where that comes from. Makes sense that we have to kill them to overcome I guess, but I am wondering why it doesn't have a duration of 1 minute like most other Force skills (which could be about the same time in this battle).

Or does it continue to cost them VP to maintain like Illusion? Not listed so I doubt it. I also found it strange that there is no Will Save allowed to negate it either. Empathy allows one and it would appear to be more friendly in use.

Mostly just musing over this, so if there is a source and page number for me to find those answers, that's all I am asking, since there appears to be more to this skill that what's listed in the description.

Fear is not as overpowered as most people believe, considering you can negate it's effects entirely by accepting a DSP. The power costs 2VP and remains in effect until the target gives into their fears or rises above them.

Everyone is afraid of something. It's a simple fact that is undeniable. By giving the power a save it would lead to players devising a way to min/max a way around the power and thus simulating nerves of steel and complete immunity to the one thing all Jedi and other Force users must battle against: Fear.

Also, FYI, Akira used DD/DA in the previous round, this means she does not have a move action avail to her. Your Battlemind roll is invalid.

Also, FYI, Akira used DD/DA in the previous round, this means she does not have a move action avail to her. Your Battlemind roll is invalid.

Oops, sorry I forgot. Not sure I will try and activate Battlemind next round, so I can re-roll if I do if that's what you want. Seems fair.

I understand the reasoning on Fear, but I wonder why they did not put a little more of the explanation with the skill. Did they clarify it somewhere else, like in another source book?

Considering how strong -8 is, I might have to eat the DSP. Curious how easy it is get Force Points and rewards for acts of dramatic heroism. Would defeating these Dark Disciples without taking the DSP and not using Force Skills count? Since these awards seem pretty subjective, I am interested in your take on it.

I understand the reasoning on Fear, but I wonder why they did not put a little more of the explanation with the skill. Did they clarify it somewhere else, like in another source book?

I'm not sure what clarification you're looking for, but no. The power is clearly defined in the book.

Quote:
Considering how strong -8 is, I might have to eat the DSP. Curious how easy it is get Force Points and rewards for acts of dramatic heroism. Would defeating these Dark Disciples without taking the DSP and not using Force Skills count? Since these awards seem pretty subjective, I am interested in your take on it.

My take is that you should defeat them without calling on the Force and see what happens. Or accept the DSP and get on with your bad self. Either way, it's your call.

-8 is a pretty hefty penalty, I'll agree. But it does not make these enemies invincible, nor does it make the Jedi anymore vulnerable than they were a moment ago. It does not affect your defense or the defense of your enemies. As a PC you have options but these two are not designed to have oodles of defense, much like Akira they are Force Users and quite capable ones.

There is always a way.

Dave,

Yes the power and it's effects are clear, but the duration is not. I wish it said that the effects last until those conditions you described are met. When I read it, I wasn't sure if it lasted 1 round or what, that's all. If the bad guys run away, does that cancel the effect? Does overcoming the Fear equate to basically defeating them in general? Meaning that if they run away or surrender they are beaten, thus Fear overcome.

On the second part, I was asking about Force Points and Dramatic Heroism in general. After reading the book, it puts the judgment subjectively in the GMs hands. Based on your answer in this case, I can understand that it is not worthy.

If the bad guys run away, does that cancel the effect? Does overcoming the Fear equate to basically defeating them in general? Meaning that if they run away or surrender they are beaten, thus Fear overcome.

No. The effect is permanent. Because they don't have a duration in the book then obviously the Jedi suffers the penalty until they accept a Dark Side Point.

*slaps the stupid off of Akira's shoulder and puts his sarcasm away*

Are you actually serious? I did not say killing them was the only way to break the effect (you assumed it yourself), I said eliminating was. Knocking out your enemy is eliminating them, killing them is eliminating them, turning them back to the light is eliminating them. When an enemy is no longer a threat, that enemy is eliminated. If nothing else, providing you live trough the combat, the effect will end on its own.

If the book doesn't list something, who gets to make the call? Me. So quit worrying about it. I got this. It's not my first rodeo.

Luke Skywalker faced Vader in the Deathstar and the whole time he was under the Emperor's 'Fear' power. He finally accepted the Dark Side Point and lashed out at Vader, shattering his defenses and cutting off his hand, defeating him.

Quote:
On the second part, I was asking about Force Points and Dramatic Heroism in general. After reading the book, it puts the judgment subjectively in the GMs hands. Based on your answer in this case, I can understand that it is not worthy.

You asked me to define a reward for an outcome that hasn't come to pass. I will tell you what qualifies for 'dramatic heroism' only after you've accomplished something that is dramatically heroic. So far you've done nothing close to that and so my answer has been nothing close to helpful.

Do you honestly expect me to answer questions like "If I do X, will you gimme X?" Y'all are out'ya damn minds.

If the book doesn't list something, who gets to make the call? Me. So quit worrying about it. I got this. It's not my first rodeo.

You asked me to define a reward for an outcome that hasn't come to pass. I will tell you what qualifies for 'dramatic heroism' only after you've accomplished something that is dramatically heroic. So far you've done nothing close to that and so my answer has been nothing close to helpful.

Do you honestly expect me to answer questions like "If I do X, will you gimme X?" Y'all are out'ya damn minds.

Thanks Dave, because it is NOT your first rodeo, that's why I am asking. Please don't think I am arguing, that is definitely NOT my intention. I am trying to learn, that's all. I will send you a PM instead.

Did the disciples position themselves such that Joram and Akira can each take 2-meter steps to flank one of them?

This would mean one us would have to step between them and also be flanked if our target survives. Akira moves after Joram so she will do this if Joram can set up the circumstances on his turn.

You two were positioned to prevent being flanked. This means when they approach they, too, are in the same position opposite to you. One of you could attempt to flank but it would provoke an AoO.

Since most people are not as familiar with the rules as you are I'm not concerning myself with things like flanking and the like. Without a grid and in a PBP scenario it's hard enough keeping track of the simple stuff, why over complicate it?

Archived