Star Wars: The New Sith Empire - Star Wars: OOC Thread

Dave ST

Originally Posted By: Layel Haete
And just checking in, is Layel going to have a chance to catch up with Joram and Ranner, or is something else going to happen instead?

Actually, the conversation with Ranner might slow Joram down enough for Layel to catch up to him (simply because Joram might need the help in a moment). Ranner certainly isn't sticking around to be of any help, he's fatigued and only has 8 wound points left, he's calling it a night. smile

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to assume that since you stated combat started that you're going to need an init roll, I'll provide one either way.

Tomorrow is Sunday, plus I'll be out of town, so I won't even be able to post OOC. I just have the time while I'm at work to work on an IC post before I leave today at 6:00 EST. That also means that I won't be able to get online until 2 or 3:00pm EST on Monday, and that'll be posting at work too (slow and dangerous).

Just giving you guys a heads up.

He hasn't overlooked it. He's just hoping that when he takes out the shuttles that any (hopfully) cosmetic damage will be overlooked.

He's not intending on getting the ship seriously damaged or destroyed... he's just trying to help save everybody's life...

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Wow. One of her fellow Jedi has gone missing and she's more worried about her gear. By all means, go get it, they'll wait.

You crack me up. laugh

Glad you are amused, I am not.

I have been stuck IC essentially 2 rounds after leaving Dari when she started to make her speech. So instead of sitting with her thumb up her ass, Akira at least got her gear while you apparently are going to let time continue on IC.

You pretty much have said OOC that I might as well get the gear since the Jedi are not going to do anything while we wait 5 minutes for Dari to rally the troops and then go get her gear.

So instead of making snide remarks after encouraging me to take the action, why don't you post something new for the Jedi Masters that have Akira waiting at the entrance to the temple. Since any initiative on a Padawan's part is met with criticism IC, I am not free to do really anything else but wait or go get my gear.

Re: Gear, I only asked for clarification because I never got a definitive answer the first time, and received flack when I had to ask a second time.

Then I asked how long it was going to take for the Masters to locate Joram, no answer to that question. And mentioned myself that we DID NOT have time to wait for Dari to finish her speech let alone get HER gear. That's why Akira went with the 2 Masters in the first place, to go after Joram ASAP. But still nothing from the Jedi Master that holds Akira's leash.

So I asked twice about posting Jedi Master's actions myself so I could at least do something. I was answered with "rather not", but no GM post IC for them either.

It was implied we were going to wait for Dari anyway, I went for the gear since I have NOTHING ELSE to work with.

I believe somewhere in the threads I put a condition on the gear retrieval saying that it was if we had time. So to have my chain jerked in this circumstance, has me a little annoyed.

At this point I have wasted my available time this weekend venting so I cannot post anything IC anyway until tomorrow. So go ahead start the battle, just tell me if she has her gear or not, I don't really care either way.

Quote:
Re: Gear, I only asked for clarification because I never got a definitive answer the first time, and received flack when I had to ask a second time.

Quote:
...I could get to the next scene where you've had a few moments to prepare and get some of your gear (if Dari would have time to get changed and gather her equipment, what makes you think I wouldn't grant the same for the other PCs who didn't have their stuff?).

There is your definite clarification. I couldn't do an IC post for the Masters because by the time I logged back in to take care of them and the rest of the PCs replies, you were bugging about your gear, again. So, I caved in and just said 'fuck it' and let you go get your gear.

I made a catch-up post to make up for the three days I was gone and before you declare any other action you post about wanting to go get your gear... the proof is in the pudding, Akira is more concerned about her gear than the other Jedi. Had you not mentioned your gear (again) then you and the Masters would have been well on their way to recovering Joram in my next series of posts. Your posts both IC and OOC are a vivid clarification of Akira's priorities (and those priorities crack me up).

When the battle scene started aides were going to make sure they delivered everyone's gear to them on the front line so they didn't have to leave their station. You were, as I stated in the clarification above, going to be fully equipped prior to the start of the battle.

So, here comes the point: If you don't like how I'm running things, your feet aren't nailed to the floor. Same goes for anyone else who wants to complain about the same things over and over. If you're pissed because I said 'you crack me up,' get over it. I poked at Layel for his Swamp Wraith ship and I've been razzing Star about his droid stealing his ship. Just because you're not amused, doesn't mean I'm not and I'm not about to let you ruin my good time.

Back to the game people...

Well, the average person moves 10m per move action, this is covered in core book. As stated it will take you a full round to close the distance for melee. A double move would take your PC 10m twice, or 20 meters.

So, what does that tell us?

I poked at Layel for his Swamp Wraith ship and I've been razzing Star about his droid stealing his ship.

I'm glad that you're getting such amusement out of it. It wasn't meant to be funny, but I'm glad (almost) anytime that I can brighten someone's day through laughter.

On a somewhat related note, does Layel have all of his gear, since I'm in the process of stealing his ship as combat starts?

Second question, how long will it take FX to get to within firing range of the shuttles? (and is the ship small enough to maneuver (mostly) between the trees or does it have to repulsor just above the canopy (should still be low enough to avoid detection))

Last question of this post. You posted 6/20 @ 4:18PM (EST). You said that we had 48 hrs to post or we're considered to have gone full defense. I'm assuming that since I'm second, Joram has until 6/22 @ 4:18PM (EST) to post, and (if he hasn't by then) then my 48hrs starts. Am I correct?

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
On a somewhat related note, does Layel have all of his gear, since I'm in the process of stealing his ship as combat starts?

He does. Layel and R2-FX are not Jedi and are not part of the diplomatic party. They answer to themselves and are under no obligation to present themselves as anything less than they are; a mercenary and a droid. If Layel wanted to show up in his boxers, he answers to no one that would tell him not to, aside from common sense.

Quote:
Second question, how long will it take FX to get to within firing range of the shuttles? (and is the ship small enough to maneuver (mostly) between the trees or does it have to repulsor just above the canopy (should still be low enough to avoid detection))

The jungle is dense enough that R2-FX would have to fly above the canopy. He can actually move right to their position in a single move action and hover, ships are pretty fast.

In terms of range, that varies. You are only 8 squares (remember ships move 500m/square) away from them once you get the ship out of the hangar bay. As I said before though, the ships are considered three-quarters 'concealed' by the jungle canopy, which can be negated by moving closer and firing down into the clearing. You can negate concealment by entering into point-blank range (1-2 squares) or take your chances and overcome the concealment modifiers.

Quote:
Last question of this post. You posted 6/20 @ 4:18PM (EST). You said that we had 48 hrs to post or we're considered to have gone full defense. I'm assuming that since I'm second, Joram has until 6/22 @ 4:18PM (EST) to post, and (if he hasn't by then) then my 48hrs starts. Am I correct?

That would be 48 hours, yes.

He does.

Great. Just wondering.

You can negate concealment by entering into point-blank range (0-2 squares) or take your chances and overcome the concealment modifiers.

So, if I'm understanding what you wrote correctly, FX could still be 1km out (2 x 500m) and negate their concealment? That sounds like a plan.

The stated speed of the ship is: Atmospheric Speed: 800 km/h (13 squares/action). So since he's 8 squares out, he could actually fly to them and then an additional 2.5 clicks. Correct?

Next question, would it be of any advantage to take a full round (or even two) to get into position (2sq away, so moving just under 1/2 speed) before he sets up his shots? If he's sneaking, it would make sense to go slow (narrative reason to go slow), but taking more rounds to get into position gives them more opportunities to make spot/sensor checks and see him (game mechanics reason to go fast). I was just wondering which you give more weight. Not that I want to 'sit out' the next round of combat, but I don't know if pushing forward at 1/4 instead of 1/2 speed would provide any advantage (and IC FX would only be taking his time to get into position if it gave him an advantage, or at least a perceived advantage).

Click to reveal.. (For Dave)
Please let me know if all of these questions while I wait to be able to post are annoying/bugging you, and I'll cut back to the bare minimum of questions.

So, if I'm understanding what you wrote correctly, FX could still be 1km out (2 x 500m) and negate their concealment? That sounds like a plan.

The stated speed of the ship is: Atmospheric Speed: 800 km/h (13 squares/action). So since he's 8 squares out, he could actually fly to them and then an additional 2.5 clicks. Correct?

Actually your are correct, I used it's space speed, not atmospheric, my bad. smile

Quote:
Next question, would it be of any advantage to take a full round (or even two) to get into position (2sq away, so moving just under 1/2 speed) before he sets up his shots? If he's sneaking, it would make sense to go slow (narrative reason to go slow), but taking more rounds to get into position gives them more opportunities to make spot/sensor checks and see him (game mechanics reason to go fast). I was just wondering which you give more weight. Not that I want to 'sit out' the next round of combat, but I don't know if pushing forward at 1/4 instead of 1/2 speed would provide any advantage (and IC FX would only be taking his time to get into position if it gave him an advantage, or at least a perceived advantage).

You're going to have to answer these on your own. You tell me? Do you feel there's an advantage to FX taking his time and making use of the ship's sensor array or do you feel it'd be more to advantage to to roll up on em' and pull a Deathstar Drive-by.

I give the most weight to 'what's in the PCs character to do', not 'from a game mechanics perspective'. Since your inquiries are strictly from a game mechanics point of view (what gives the best advantage), you'll have to answer them on your own in a manner you best see fit with the type of PC you're playing.

I know Dave's a bit busy right now, but as I'm not used to doing a lot of d20 kind of combat, and I've never really been in any mass combat situations like this during RP, could someone give me a little advice as to how combat happens? Should I just have her shoot at random stormtroopers? Does having her try and glance into the battle and located and leaders or commander-type people take a full round? Or can you fire multiple times in a situation like this? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking for what my character should do so much as I am just a general idea of how large-scale combat like this works.

Thanks.

Large scale combat works similar to small scale combat, just with more people (and I think Dave is using the 'cloud of dust' to keep combat relatively small... just prolonged). In the description of 'Spot', it says that it's either a reaction (when called for by the GM, assuming free action but I don't know) or a full round action.

You can fire multiple times, if your attack is high enough, but that requires you to take a full round attack (I'm pretty sure). Some weapons can fire multiple times, like multifire or autofire weapons, but I'm not read up on those rules.

You get a move and an attack action (or a full, or 2 moves). I think you could use a move action to find some cover (apparently it's all around) or some other move action, and then your attack to fire at the stormtrooper of Dave's choosing (the closest?), or something that takes an attack action (or another move action).

*All of the above is opinion and rememberance, if I'm wrong on any point I apologize ahead of time.

I attached a jpeg of the Combat Actions table from the Core Book.

I might be wrong here, but I think Dave is going to be a little loose on the specifics in Combat since we don't actually have a tactical grid or map to work from.

So you might even be able to take a 2-meter step to reach cover, since he said plenty was available.

As for looking at the enemy, I think that would be Spot check as a reaction. I think the Full Round version is to spend much more scrutiny to look for hidden enemies. I think you can ask any reasonable questions on what Dari sees as a Free Action, letting Dave roll the Spot check if it's required. Those blind rolls are meant to be blind so the player doesn't even realize there is something to spot. That's how it's done in table top anyway.

post-1530-131291463254_thumb.jpg

First, Akira, thank you for posting the actions chart, that's very helpful. When I get some free time I'll work up a list and add it to the 'Combat' section in the Errata for us to refer to if you guys think it'll be helpful.

Originally Posted By: Dari Telana
I know Dave's a bit busy right now, but as I'm not used to doing a lot of d20 kind of combat, and I've never really been in any mass combat situations like this during RP, could someone give me a little advice as to how combat happens? Should I just have her shoot at random stormtroopers? Does having her try and glance into the battle and located and leaders or commander-type people take a full round? Or can you fire multiple times in a situation like this? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking for what my character should do so much as I am just a general idea of how large-scale combat like this works.

The 'mass combat' aspect is really in the background to be honest. The Imperials and the Rebels will be damaging themselves separately and the PCs don't have too much effect on that (your diplomacy/intimidation rolls in the previous were what set the stage for the Rebel's competency). Which you guys did very at, I might add.

You, the PCs, have your own number of enemies to deal with, separate from the Rebel 'soldiers'. I'm using the smoke to obscure numbers for the moment and give it more the cinematic appeal like when they blasted through the doors on the Tantive IV.

As far as what Dari can do, she has three options.

Attack Action

Move Action

Full-Atack Action (also called a Full-round action).

Attack and Move are both actions that can be completed in a single round. So Dari could move, then attack, or attack, then move (perhaps shoot a guy then move around for a better shot in the next round). If a PC does a full-attack action, then the can not move (but re permitted to take a 2m (1 square) step in a direction of their choice). Since we're not using a battle grid, the 2m step really isn't that useful.

Attack Action - Is just that, she attacks the nearest target in range (or target of her choice). On the sheet you'll notice that I've tried to simplify the stats for weapons in combat.

Melee: +6 Electrostaff (2d6+1/20)

Electrostaff w/Two Weapon Fighting +4/+4 (2d6+1/2d6+1/20)

Ranged: +6 Heavy Blaster Pistol (3d8/20, Rng: 8m, Ammo: 50)

Ranged: +6 Sporting Blaster (3d4/20, Rng: 8m, Ammo: 100)

So if Dari attacks with her Heavy Blaster she would get a single attack at a +6 bonus. Were she in melee range she could attack one with her Electrostaff at a +6 bonus, or twice at +4/+4, since she has two-weapon fighting and is using a double weapon she get an extra attack (which is why two-weapon fighting is so useful at lower levels).

Move Action - Dari can move her movement speed (10m) in a single move action. If she sacrifices her attack as well she can move twice (called a 'double move action') and move 20m.

On page 74 in the Core Book it details skills and summarizes what sort of action their use is (move, attack, full round) this might help you.

Akira is right though, without grid it's difficult to convey what all these actions mean. The most important thing to consider is: range. As long as you know how far the enemy is, the easier i twill be to know what sort of actions you have available. Right now the enemies are about 20 meters away. Dari could close that distance or shoot a few rounds and wait to see if they close the distance...

Skills - If you're not sure, ask. For example, I think we all know that higher rank Stormtroopers generally have a colored stripe on their armor that indicates them as a higher rank (Blue = Lieutenant, Red = Captain). While the PCs might not know what the ranking system is, they'd know that colored armor denotes 'leadership'. Perceptive skills are usually move actions, unless she's really taking her time (or has to take her time).

Dari could look for a Stormtrooper of higher rank by succeeding in a Spot check DC 15 (15 or higher and she'll notices one of the Lieutenants). This spot check would be a move action for her since trying to peek up from cover and take notice of something can be a bit rough in the middle of a fire fight.

Now, to be quite honest, providing it sounds feasible and since we're not using a battle grid, I really don't care what you do for your actions providing you keep in the realm of Move/Attack/Full-Attack. How you embellish is up to you. Just because she only get one attack doesn't mean she only fires one blaster shot, maybe she fires two or three and hits with one of them...

I hope this helps. Keep in mind, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Since you're unfamiliar with the rules I'm willing to work with ya, so don't worry about making mistakes. Just go for a post and we'll worry about details and rules later. wink

Thanks Dave.

How do you feel about simultaneous posting combat situations. It could help move things along. Without worrying about tactical positioning, we not need to wait for others in some cases.

Personally, I was curious as to what Joram was going to do, since he was quicker on the uptake. Likely they need to work together, but unless Akira decides to stay back and protect Dari, her actions would not necessarily be affected by those allies with higher Initiative results.

I have DM'd games both ways. Generally you only run into issues with simultaneous posting when people don't make allowances for their primary target getting killed before their posted actions actually take place.

I'll work on a reply later tonight guys.

Originally Posted By: Akira
How do you feel about simultaneous posting combat situations. It could help move things along. Without worrying about tactical positioning, we not need to wait for others in some cases.

I suppose (if everyone else doesn't see any issues with it) that posting in the initiative order is not necessary, with one caveat: don't post ahead other people without checking with them first.

PCs are permitted to 'ready' actions.

If So-and-so's player doesn't mind, I certainly don't. Make sure we are respectful to one another and check first. We're adults, the board has PMs/OOC Thread so IMO there's not reason for us to assume they don't mind if we skip them. If you don't get an answer from them, they are still permitted 48 hours to put up a post. If you want to post before three other people in the initiative roster, you will need three 'okays'.

Obviously, let's not skip over the enemies initiatives... that'd just make things too easy.

n situations like this, where all the PCs go prior to the 'grunts', I don't care how you guys handle it. Make something up, team up, do awesome combos, open a burrito stand... I leave the embellishments to you. Just don't skip over the enemies, and don't get too carried away. (Joram and Akira are probably not going to whipping out Force Mastery combos at 5th level for example)

There may even be situations where teaming up is the only way to defeat an enemy...

Well, R2-FX isn't with/around anybody else, and I don't know that any of his actions directly affect any of the other PC's (right now). So I don't mind anybody posting ahead of me. My only question is if Mr. Fox/Joram minds the possibility of me jumping ahead of him from time to time.

Just wanted to make that public to everyone, I don't mind you not waiting for me to post.

I would agree that in situations where some characters are in different scenes, waiting for others who are not in your scene is a good example of not needing to wait. I likewise automatically give permission is those cases, don't need to ask.

Generally I cannot think of any reason why I wouldn't give permission for someone to post ahead of me, when their actions would have no impact on mine, as long as they are applying common sense.

Only reason I brought it up was because of the time zone difference that I have. In this battle, since there are plenty of targets, I don't see a reason for Layel to wait for Akira in Round 2 if everyone is posting while I am asleep. Likewise, if I can post Akira's Round 2 actions without waiting for Joram, R2-FX, and Dari before going to bed, then you all wouldn't have to wait 12-16 hours before I am back on-line.

As an observation, I am finding that everyone else appears to post most often after I have gone to bed and before I am back to the computer the next day. On some days that could mean waiting 20 hours for me. But I am on-line everyday, so if the pace is fine with everyone else, I am happy to wait my turn. I can be patient.

There's no hurry guys, keep that in mind. While I do enjoy a game to 'flow' smoothly and promptly the fact of the matter is as long as people are devoting at least some time to it and enjoy it enough to continue to devote time to it than as far as interwebs games go, it's going well.

As I said thought guys, you're all adults and are free to decide for yourselves, amongst yourselves, how to handle your own actions. I'm cool either way, but let's not try to rush ourselves or anyone one else. Real Life™ happens, so I think 48 hours is a fair amount of time for us to give each other in combat situations, and honestly if it comes down to it, I can run a PC for a few until they come back.

One thing about seperate scenes though... time is still moving at the same pace. It wouldn't be prudent for R2-FX to continue ahead (even if his actions aren't related to the other players ATM) since his actions are still happening at the same time as everyone else, just in a different location. While I certainly understand the logic you guys are working from, eventually I would have to stop R2-FX (or any other character) once they got too far ahead and have them wait until the rest of the PC's actions caught up with his own. This is is why I usually keep separate locale actions in sync with the rest of the scene, it's also so I don't go crazy trying to remember who's got what going on where. smile

That's smart, keeping things synchronized round to round.

Never considered that you would do otherwise actually. wink

Kinda surprised you even mentioned players skipping over the bad guys' turn, never tried that myself. grin

I'd never thought of getting more rounds in combat than anyone else. I was just trying to say that in any particular round, since I'm not with the rest of the group, nobody has to wait for me before posting.

And I do agree with you Dave, as much as I'd love to be able to post every time that I check on the board, 48hrs is more than fair.

In situations like this where there is a target rich environment I don't have any problem with people posting ahead of me.

Also, I'm new to this system so I welcome suggestions. Like for example, I didn't even think about activating Battle Mind. So I'll activate it next round.

Layel, actually when Dave posted that I hacked the ship, he said that the ship was powered up and implied that the weapons were as well (that was something that I was looking at when trying to figure out my first post). And then, in this last post by Dave, the Imperials stated that he was powering up his weapons.

I'm going to assume that Dave is assuming that he raised his shields as well. I didn't know how that would work in the hanger, so I didn't mention it. It's a free action, so I can easily edit it into my last post if need be.

And btw, if the ship gets messed up, but he destroyed the Imperial's escape route off planet and he helps to fix it, might that brighten his future?

Dave, I'm hoping that I didn't do too much in my post, with resolving the quick turn action. Normally I wouldn't do that, but I needed to know if he could turn around and shoot the ion cannons (because that would disable them until they could repair their ship). I didn't know what the defense of the shuttles was going to be, so I didn't resolve the attack, just gave you the dmg roll if you needed it (and I hope that you do... I don't know how long the Swamp Wraith can last against two lambda shuttles when they're actively trying to kill him...).

I was hoping that I could set up those shots before they noticed him... but I guess that if he can use his ships sensors to find them, they can use their sensors to find him. Really wish that I could've taken out 1 or 2 of them before they could react... that would've evened out the odds.

You're actions were fine. You're right, I just assumed everything was powered up so I'm not about to sweat the small stuff.

Although...

Quote:
but I guess that if he can use his ships sensors to find them, they can use their sensors to find him

Hindsight is 20/20. I was wondering what wa spossessing you to go after 4 of them... one, even two maybe... but 4 seemed insane.

Hey, droid's got balls though, I'll give him that. And on the plus side, if things go bad, it's not like it's his ship dude. Don't sweat it. smile

Thanks, I wasn't sure about the two-handed business in this case, but it makes sense. I will include it next time automatically.

Joram though, has a problem. He deflected a blast, costing him a Move Action on his next turn IIRC. So he can either attack or use Battlemind, correct?

Also Akira did not deflect any shots, correct? Thus leaving her with a Move Action allowable.

I was wondering about that AoO though. What triggered it? In round 2 Akira will close range and I wouldn't think that would invoke an AoO on her part either.

Layel, actually when Dave posted that I hacked the ship, he said that the ship was powered up and implied that the weapons were as well (that was something that I was looking at when trying to figure out my first post). And then, in this last post by Dave, the Imperials stated that he was powering up his weapons.

Meh. Forgot that. No worries. smile

Yeah, hindsight *face-palm*... as far as taking on 4 of them... I was hoping to 'snipe' them, or take at least some of them by surprise...

That's why I'm extremely grateful that you only sent two of them up after me... of course I know that when/if I destroy/disable these two the other two will come... but that's then and this is now.

And... I guess I'm going to have to wait until you post again IC to find out if I hit the shuttle... oh the suspense!

Archived