Star Wars: The New Sith Empire - Star Wars: OOC Thread

Dave ST

It would be nice if they have something like they do in the Rebellion Era book for Saga Edition. Your background opens up some skills as class skills and even provides some other little bonuses.

I see that Mr. Fox answered the shout from Dave_ST, so the Jedi Guardian will maybe check in soon. Too bad, I had just finished my changes for making the Consular a Guardian.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the Hero's guide has lots of stuff about factions, but it requires sympathy to join, and that's something gained through play, not that you start off with (unless the GM says otherwise). Same with reputation; you can't start the game being well known (even in a particular circle).

Just saying it would be nice is all.

After finishing the Guardian build, I find that I would rather play that instead of the Consular. If Mr. Fox is still working on his build, perhaps he'd considering going Consular instead of Guardian.

To make the changes on the posted sheets would not take me that long so it wouldn't hold up the game.

Only need to change the VP, Change 3 feats, add/remove some equipment, and reallocate the Skill Points. I already have it all down on paper.

Actually, you can. The Fame/Infamy and is designed for just that reason. Also keep in mind that 'back grounds' are part of just that; your background. The higher your rep and the addition of the Fame feat allows characters to claim things like celebrity or royalty status.

Padme has 'Fame' and was a Queen. That means rich, popular, all kinds of starting gear and assumed to have enough resources to accomplish most tasks, accept buy a hyperdrive. She was also a noble and had Resource Access.

When backgrounds match the characters or the story then the GM simply gives them away. I prefer it that way because 9 times out of 10 people don't take the backgrounds that make sense for their PC, they take the ones that give them what they want.

On the other hand, a PC at 5th level starting as a successful business owner with 2-3 cohorts and the ability to use his 'owning a business' as a valid argument for having access to funds the GM would prefer him not to have slows things down. If the PCs are given everything they need, all the time, where is the challenge or the satisfaction of earning it on their own come from? Besides, you can't have cohorts til 7th level anyway.

Now, if you guys wanna screw around and see if we can't maybe toy with some idea of tracking factions for your PCs as the game goes on, I'm all for it. As your faction grows you might get a few perks for it, who knows? I did it in a D&D game once that tracked the PCs influence with several of the NPCs by scoring them. The higher the score, the more helpful the NPC would be or even provided bonuses to their atts while they traveled with the PC.

It's our game, we're allowed to shoot ourselves in the foot with wacky ideas y'know. If it don't work we just scrap it and forget about it and treat it like it never happened. If the Feds come looking for us, we blame it all on Fox and walk away slowly, whistling... smile

Originally Posted By: Akira
After finishing the Guardian build, I find that I would rather play that instead of the Consular. If Mr. Fox is still working on his build, perhaps he'd considering going Consular instead of Guardian.

There's no rule saying you both can't play a Jedi Guardian.

Another question while we wait.

Since D&D3.5 has a list of skill Synergies, I tried to find one for SWd20 in the Core Rules. It mentioned GM discretion and had no table. Is there one in another source? If not are you planning to post those in with our other rule changes?

Another question while we wait.

Since D&D3.5 has a list of skill Synergies, I tried to find one for SWd20 in the Core Rules. It mentioned GM discretion and had no table. Is there one in another source? If not are you planning to post those in with our other rule changes?

I hadn't planned on using them, but I do from time to time on certain rolls to imply the simplicity of certain rolls. Your Guardian doesn't qualify for any synergies though.

Battle Influence - You do not have access to this Force Skill.

2 Lightsabers - Padawans are given 1 lightsaber. Two-Weapon fighting or no, 1 lightsaber is all you have access to. While training or sparing the instructor might let you use a second training saber, but in the 'real world' you're only given 1 by your master.

Jedi usually do not train with dual weapon fighting. Video games are fun and all, but they cater to 'coolness'. The Jedi philosophy around two lightsabers is simply that there is no reason to have them. One saber and the Force is all a Jedi should need.

The synergy question originated in my research on the droid. 5 ranks in Knowledge Medicine or Profession Doctor/Nurse would likely provide a +2 Synergy bonus to Treat Injury. That's what I was wondering about, hadn't considered any Force Skill synergies.

Re: 2 lightsabers

I purchased the second with my credits, is that not allowed?

As a side note, in the Saga Ed books I saw a smaller lightsaber that was for use in the offhand, but did not find it in the 3 books we are using. But I did not look too hard either.

As for coolness, it looks cool in my imagination too. grin

Most of my experience in the setting is around the time period of the movies. So our current Era has me potentially behind the curve on background knowledge, since I have not read any of the books that cover the Legacy Era.

Given my Jedi is 5th level, she's a little far down that Padawan track now. How much contact has she had with her master lately?

Maybe she learned the two-weapon fighting skill for her use of batons originally.(Picturing Teyla from Stargate Atlantis fighting with 2 sticks) Then once she was more on her own, decided to purchase a 2nd lightsaber and adapt that to her fighting style. Of course if she cannot purchase a 2nd one, this is all moot.

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
When backgrounds match the characters or the story then the GM simply gives them away. I prefer it that way because 9 times out of 10 people don't take the backgrounds that make sense for their PC, they take the ones that give them what they want.

I guess that works, and that would normally be how I would prefer it, actually. I guess I've just been playing games where backgrounds are statted for so long that I forgot my non-stat roots.

I still think my point stands though. Everything (except the above quoted) that you mentioned is something that you gain in game (fame feat, reputation bonus, etc.), and therefore doesn't count as 'background' (If you can't start the game with it, then it's not something that's in your background). And I can understand your weariness about how players assign backgrounds, but as someone who usually ends up with extra backgrounds (because a lot of my characters are 'average Joes' starting out), I guess I see it a bit differently.

Hopefully this game will remind me how much I enjoy role-playing without stats as opposed to roll-playing/rule-lawyering about exactly what my stats mean I do/don't have and can/can't do.

The synergy question originated in my research on the droid. 5 ranks in Knowledge Medicine or Profession Doctor/Nurse would likely provide a +2 Synergy bonus to Treat Injury. That's what I was wondering about, hadn't considered any Force Skill synergies.

I'm aware of how they work. wink. Like I said though, case by case basis, mostly because people rely on synergy bonuses in lieu of actual skill ranks.

Quote:
Re: 2 lightsabers
I purchased the second with my credits, is that not allowed?

As a side note, in the Saga Ed books I saw a smaller lightsaber that was for use in the offhand, but did not find it in the 3 books we are using. But I did not look too hard either.

As for coolness, it looks cool in my imagination too. grin

Ah, yeah... see, that's something that I forgot to mention and has always been my pet pieve with the d20 books. Lightsabers are not for sale on the open market. You do not head down to Jedi WalMart and pick one up along with your assorted toiletries and a jar of beer nuts.

One to a Padawan, no more, no less.

During the days of the republic, carrying one without being a Jedi was illegal and if you were discovered owning one the Jedi would come and take it unless there was good reason why you owned it (and could prove it).

Short lightsabers (like Yoda used) are avail to small players, but not to a Jedi who already owns a lighsaber. They do make great off-hand weapons, as they are considered 'small'. Two regular lightsabers invokes a -4/-4 penalty to your attacks.

Quote:
Given my Jedi is 5th level, she's a little far down that Padawan track now. How much contact has she had with her master lately?

One of those Jedi posted is your Master, pick one. You have 5 to choose from (Master Sen Udo-Mal is not a valid choice.)

Quote:
Maybe she learned the two-weapon fighting skill for her use of batons originally.(Picturing Teyla from Stargate Atlantis fighting with 2 sticks) Then once she was more on her own, decided to purchase a 2nd lightsaber and adapt that to her fighting style. Of course if she cannot purchase a 2nd one, this is all moot.

I'm not disputing where she could have learned the technique, in fact the Jedi Weapon Master would make for an excellent master for Akira. She would not be given a second lightsaber just because she took a feat. In fact, it'd be all the more reason not to give her a second one: she has the potential... now the lesson is to see what she does to foster it.

Dual stun batons is a great way to neutralize a group of enemies.

I'm here. Turned in my sheet to Rev last night and he got it all prettied up for me today. I'm ready to go. Doesn't matter to me much if we have two guardians. From the sound of it this will be a high adventure type game, two guardians might be handy.

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Dual stun batons is a great way to neutralize a group of enemies.

This had occurred to me as well, but could not afford one after 3000 credits for a 2nd lightsaber.

I will rework the gear then. I will take a look and make a final decision on which build to use today.

I am ready with either build. The rule issue will only change stats, not choices.

I was sort of waiting to see the other Guardian build before making up my mind. If they are too similar I will go with the Consular. Since you have seen it you can tell me if they are similar or not since Mr. Fox is off-line now.

To be honest, (and I'm good at honest) they aren't similar.

Joram possesses a good mix of Skills and Force Skills that will allow him to survive on his own merit. (27 points in skills / 19 points in Force skills)

Akira doesn't appear to be able to do anything unless she has the Force do it for her. (9 points in skills / 48 points in Force skills)

As far as Jedi Guardians go, Joram is fairly balanced while Akira is a one trick pony designed to take advantage of every '+X to hit' and Force Skill. She will most likely fail at most diplomacy attempts and not be very useful for anything other than combat.

That sounds suspiciously like an endorsement for the Consular build. I think I will take the hint from the GM and leave Akira as the Consular then. I am on my iPhone now but I hope to catch up on the IC thread and post tonight my time. Will be strapped for time for the next several hours until then.

One trick pony seemed like a criticism. But then again maybe combat focus is what's needed. Kinda why I wanted to see the other build. My Guardian build was not meant for much besides fighting. I guess I can think about it some more while I determine what to write for my first IC post.

Still going to go with my one trick pony tail girl. smirk Role-playing reasons as well, I have too many other face and healer characters that I am working elsewhere.

I updated her sheet on my signature and in the character thread.

Quote:
What's the DC for Intimidation?

I have an idea for my post, which involves 'DI-like' insults on a bunch of possible flakes.

You need at least a 10, post your character's 'performance' and the roll you got and I'll handle the people's reaction to it in the area around your PC. This roll does not mean 100% success just because you got over a 10, the more over 10 you are the more successful you are and there's a reason for that.

At the table I award bonuses (sometimes) based on content. Here on the forum is no different. When a player at the table gives a speech (and actually gives a speech, complete with fist pumping or standing up and projecting his voice) he gets more than the player next to him whose speech consists of "I have +8 to Diplomacy and I rolled a 14. That's a 22. How'd I do?"

I'm sure you guys get the point so I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Woot - and I got the re-coloration done for the drawing I chose for Dari's noble gown! Perfect - now I'll just make sure to get the picture that I have of her kicking ass re-colored before our first fight scene...

And it looks awesome. smile

I've been meaning to give all of you props for posting pics of your PCs. Pictures add a great deal of 'life' to a game, so your extra effort is appreciated. I have a few gifts for ya, but those come later. The new Akira pics look awesome too.

Quote:
Still going to go with my one trick pony tail girl. Role-playing reasons as well, I have too many other face and healer characters that I am working elsewhere.

I updated her sheet on my signature and in the character thread.

And that's fine. I was criticizing a bit, but ultimately it's up to you how you play a PC. I'm fine with either build, and since you've decided let's get the ball rolling.

Same with DM for the Rings. I cannot read either one in public, cause I break out in tears trying to keep from laughing out loud.

Edit: Let me know if my old Akira Avatar shows up. I had difficulty changing it. It was correct last night on my home PC, but I cannot do the same trick on my iPhone, so it still shows the old one to me.

BTW, I haven't have any chance at all to look through equipment so I haven't spent any credits on my sheet. I don't really see him having a lot though so if Rev doesn't want me spending them now that the game has begun then no big deal.

Dave, Dari will wander around, either seeking out people who have questions, or will look for people involved in the Alliance to greet and introduce Akira too (assuming her Jedi masters don't stop her from accompanying Dari for any reason). Do you need me to make any kind of perception or diplomacy type rolls at the moment, or should I just wing it? And also, could you PM me any info Dari *does* have about her father's immediate plans regarding the Alliance's movement against the Empire, in case I need that information for any reason interacting with those present?

Another Question about our New Jedi Order.

What are the views on marriage and sex?

Are the Jedi taking vows of chastity or allowed to have friends with benefits?

If allowed to marry, are they restricted to non-force users?

Quote:
What are the views on marriage and sex?

Post-Ruusan Jedi were forbidden to hold strong attachments, as they were believed to lead to the emotions of the dark side. For this reason, Jedi were not allowed to marry. For example, Reess Kairn had an attachment, despite this being a violation of the code. After finding his lover with another man, he killed them both in anger. This led him to the dark side.

Jedi were not required to be chaste though, many Jedi were due to sex being considered self-indulgence and an unnecessary act. At least one special case was recorded in this arrangement: Ki-Adi-Mundi who, due to low Cerean birth-rates, was permitted to have a polygamous marriage, and fathered seven daughters.

However, it appears that some Jedi might have been granted the right to marry, not as a special case, but as a norm. Several Corellian Jedi (Keiran Halcyon and Nejaa Halcyon during the Old Republic, and Corran Horn in the time of the New Republic) were allowed to marry and raise children without repercussion but they were Corellian and all Corellian's think they're special anyway.

By the time of the New Jedi Order (which includes Legacy and the campaigns current time line), the practice of forbidding or discouraging marriages had been discarded. I mean, come on Order's Grand Master himself was married to the hottest red head in the galaxy.

Quote:
Are the Jedi taking vows of chastity or allowed to have friends with benefits?

Desire... passion... self-indulgence... by all means, help yourself. Muahahahahahahahahahaha!

I actually answered this one and your last question in the above snippet, hope it helps. If not, let me know and I'll be happy to clarify.

Oh, as an side, Akira may wander freely. You will need to learn about interactions and diploamcy to effectively complete your tasks as a Jedi. Master Uthae, despite being more militant than the others (save Avi, obviously) certainly recognizes this as a wonderful opportunity for both Padawans to learn and grow.

Quote:
Do you need me to make any kind of perception or diplomacy type rolls at the moment, or should I just wing it?

If you could simply do what Layel did and post an action that involves a skill roll of your choice (Intimidation, Diplomacy) and we'll go from there.

I'll work on the other info, but you shouldn't really need right away.

Thanks for the snippet, I did get some of that from Wookieepedia. I think being Corellian might match Akira fine based on what you wrote. wink I had to ask, to gage her reactions to others as well as if Dari's activities go in that direction.

Given her martial nature, casual sex as a physical activity would not be out of her zone of comfort. Without an emotional attachment, she could view it as another form of exercise and a hallenging exercise to control her emotions. But I don't think she will trying to breed any new Jedi's soon.

Quote:
Given her martial nature, casual sex as a physical activity would not be out of her zone of comfort. Without an emotional attachment, she could view it as another form of exercise and a challenging exercise to control her emotions. But I don't think she will trying to breed any new Jedi's soon.

She can view it however she likes, all Jedi and people of the galaxy are welcome to view anything in any way they choose. Anakin viewed the slaughter of younglings and purging the Jedi as a justified means to obtain the power he'd need to save his wife.

So you see... anything is justified... from a certain point of view. wink

Archived