D6 Star Wars

Dave ST

Once or twice, but not long enough to know the system very well. I do however, have a majority of all the supplements that they put out for the system. Just never used them for lack of a game sadly.

I loved their going out of business sale when you could get some of the books for only a couple bucks.

I played is once, for a several sessions, oh, more than 10 years ago. Had a 'grey' Jedi, a drunk who only knew how to use a lightsaber. Don't remember the system much, but -do- remember the ST was a complete nob. From my vague memories, I think the system was alright, though I don't quite remember how Dark Side points worked (I think my Greydi had 2 of them).

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
I recall not liking the system much but that may have been the GM who was rather unskilled.

I think that is a common with Star Wars games. I have talked to a lot of gamers that played the game and they almost all said they didn't like it. When I've asked what their problem was they all complained about the person that ran the game. I guess it is just a game that takes a special storyteller.

The GM needs to be able to make the PCs feel awesome in a setting where the iconic characters are ingrained into the cultural landscape. IIRC that game was set during the movies as well which adds a further layer of difficulty, at least the newer incarnations have been able to mine the KotOR timeline or the post-Jedi timeline (for better or worse I don't know)

I'm inclined to agree with you guys very strongly about the GM issue. Personally I can not stand placing iconic characters in a Star Wars game, mostly because they've already technically won, they beat the boss, and there is pretty much nothing you can do to stop that aside from wreck canon (which we've done once or twice for fun smile ).

I usually place the game in a time line where the iconic characters do not, or no longer exist. Like about 30 years after the Legacy time line or in an Old Republic setting. I like the 'after the Legacy' setting better because the Imperial Remnant are so much fun to deal with and 'Die you Jedi scum!' never gets old. smile

I'd go so far as to say that that is often the case in any RPG based on a licensed property (i.e. Star Trek, Marvel or DCU, etc.) It can work and when it does either the cannon gets wrecked (as you suggest) or the character's end up as the "next gen" being mentored by the icons.

Given a choice between pre- or post- legacy, I'll almost always choose post, its just easier to have the freedom to do what you want when you don't need to worry about stepping on the toes of "the guys who won/will win". Sufficiently far enough pre-legacy can work but I know that I'm a little confused about the apparent technology decline from the Old Republic to the legacy era to the post-legacy.

Yeah, that's something about Star Wars that has always bothered me. In a space faring culture how does technology stand still for thousands of years or even decline? Sure there are dark ages and such, but this is an interconnected culture of tens of thousands of space faring worlds with hundreds of thousands to billions of people each.

Actually the main reason for that was because the last three movies were made between 77' and 84', and while the effects were awesome, even for the time. When the first three movies came out much later with all the digital and CG effects it pretty much made it look like the technology level took an incredibly rapid decline.

I've always found it best, regardless of the era, to simply treat the tech level as a very fantastic thing and simply ignore the movies when it comes to those things, it'll only make your head hurt.

The hyperdrive has been around for at least 25,000 years, I treat the galaxy as a collective culture that has simply reached the pinnacle of what it can achieve, or wants to achieve, in terms of technology. The tech itself sees upgrades and new models, and a variety of improvements, but it never really advances anything beyond what they can already do.

That's one of the appeals of Star Wars for me, the blend of high and low tech into something believable. Take Tatooine for example, here we see a planet that is on the technological ass end of everything. No one comes here often and it relies mainly on what few traders stop by for any updates on what is recent news and state of the art. Most people on the planet are using blasters that are several models behind the curve, or that they've had to put together themselves. Same goes for speeders, tools, medical equipment, etc. I've always thought it awesome though that the people live in low tech Adobe style homes that appear primitive but are equipped with computers built into the doors and walls, etc. A perfect blend of low meets high tech.

It's best to just treat the galaxy as being filled with fantastic technology no matter which era you're in.

Archived