Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Issue #3 Swords & Sorcery

Joani

Serene led the way to the Great Hall of Dorian Manor while Aina continued to explain what she wanted to do.

"I will need your help for this ritual in order to manipulate the fabric of reality in order to restore the planet to it's former condition. You may consider it a healing spell, if you want. If we want to succeed we need to focus on mending the severed parts. Don't worry about the seeming physical impossible aspects of this feat since we're not going to apply the rules of physics to be successful. The more you are willing and ready to give the higher our chance for success shall be. If you really want to save your home you should be willing to sacrifice yourselves for the lives of others."

The Dragon Queen's words echoed through the corridor they passed weighing heavily on the young heroes shoulders. The fate of Earth was in their hands.

In the meantime Tessa led the other heroes to the Legacy HQ assembling an emergency unit on the fly should the ritual go wrong. It was clear that they needed to be fast and powerful - both attributes they had plenty at their disposal but yet they never did anything remotely comparible to this and if they failed... no, failure was not an option.

---

Aina seemed to take measure of the Great Hall and then nodded in satisfaction, "This place should be large enough. I want you to take positions at the ends of the Pentagramm.", as she spoke the words there was a smell of burnt wood and cloth while a burning pentagramm inside a circle appeared on the floor.

The Dragon Queen assumed a position at the top of the circle and gestured for Djane and the Celestial Centurion to take the positions right next to her left and right. Serene was left with the choice to either join Djane or the Centurion.

"I want you to clear your mind of any encumbering thoughts. You need to be at peace and focused for this task. Try to breath calm and steady and don't let yourself be distracted by anything. Once I start weaving the spell we mustn't be interrupted - do you understand?"

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MegaGirl followed along behind Tessa, with an effort keeping her pace slow so she didn't rush ahead, a fierce grin on her face. It was them versus a Planet-Chunk-Thing, and they would win, she was sure of it.

Back at Legacy HQ, Karra immediately rushed to the shipbay, taking a place on top of one of the shuttles, ready to zoomed them to space. She was faster than any ship. "All aboard! Do we wait down or up in the black?"

Teletha looked at the others there. Some were veterans, others were fresh heroes, and a handful were former trainees like themselves.

"Most of you haven't done something of this scope before, I know I have not. We're defending our home here, We are the last line of defense."

"Watchwoman and a few others are trying something that could save us all with no one being in danger. If that fails then we will have to either destroy or deflect the Asteroid. The rings you all wear will let you survive in space, and communicate with everyone else. No one is to go off alone, and don't panic. Working together we will Save Earth, and everyone and Everything we hold dear."

She smiled. "Board the Shuttle and Megagirl will bring you to our last defensive position, and Remember this. You wear that ring because you are worthy, because you are all already Heroes."

She turns to Echo and pulls her aside. "I need to talk to you Echo. I have an idea."

Serene hesitated, then choose the point next to Djane. She glanced at the empty spot next to her and asked, "Do we need another person? If so, I have a butler, or if it can be an animal, Azkatt can stand there."

At his name, the massive cat lifted his head, his ears swiveling toward Serene. Taking it as permission, he moved to her side and put his head under her hand, already beginning to purr. Serene smiled and scratched his head lightly, unable to resist his furry charms.

"See if you can coordinate with Matrix, find any faultlines in this thing, then we drop the heaviest hitters we have into them and see if we can crack this thing into manageable pieces."

"The only problem is getting out. I'll be fine, Karra too, but I dunno about any others." She shook her head. We can blast it from the outside all day and the physics alone say that we won't be able to crack it that way. We have to get inside."

"I'd also like to figure out how we'd have to split it to deflect it from Earth."

• 6 months later...

At the Legacy HQ Heroes and Military were coordinating their efforts to stop the impending Doom the rapidly approaching asteroid was posing to their beloved planet. The Admiral of the Planetary Defense Force deployed every available vessel to create a perimeter around the planet hoping that their combined firepower could save their people from certain death should the Legacy Heroes fail to stop the rock.

Samson was standing at the flight platform next to the Legacy’s finest spacecraft – The Invincible, which was a fast speed 10 Man craft. It had capable weapons and the latest technological gadgetery packed into a very streamlined and slick looking design. If things weren’t so dramatic it would’ve been actually cool to just hitch a ride and see what she got.

„I was actually holding her back for another occasion but givin‘ the immediate situation I guess we need everythin‘ we got to stop that rock crashing into earth, aye?“, Samson’s deep bass rumbled as he saw the trio approaching.

„We’re linked up with the Military’s frequency – you’ve got full clearance and have been promoted to Majors just to keep things smooth should you get into the situation of issuing orders to the Military. They are less likely to hesitate if they know you guys are authorized. Congrats, I guess – I throw a party afterward.“, Samson was smiling at Tesse and winked at Mega Girl with a smirk in his face before he handed her over the access card to control the vessel.

„Here, lass – and bring her back without a scratch, you heard me?“

In the meantime at Dorian Manor

The lights in the big hall were flickering before they died leaving the room completely dark for a few seconds with the exception of the Dragon Witches fiery glowing eyes. Everyone could feel that something was happening followed by an immediate wave of dizziness and fatigue. Sweat was forming small droplets on Serene’s forehead and Djane felt how something was eating away at her very essence. The floor ignited along the lines that completed the pentagram the Dragon Witch had drawn on the floor and something like a rift surrounded by dark clouds appeared out of nowhere right in the center of the circle.

The Heroes were unable to move, held in check by magical forces that were definitely altering the fabric of reality. Even the Dragon Witch seemed to suffer from the fatigue as she started to bleed out of her nose and eyes. An uncanny breeze was forming inside the big hall and blowing with increasing force, shattering lose glasses and vases which were decorating the tastefully arranged room. It felt like a storm was brewing but at least there was enough light now to see more than vague shapes.

The rift started to look a miniature image of the Asteroid that was heading towards earth at terminal speed. It looked almost solid and real but they knew it was impossible. A black hole was forming just infront of it bending the light in bizarre ways and gnawing at the Heroes sanity as they gazed upon the incomprehensible. Had they put their trust into wrong hands...?

Click to reveal..
Posting is FFA – Everyone at Dorian Manor can spent a hero point to counter the negative effects of the Ritual. If you have questions – ask them :P

Click to reveal..
Djane will spend the Hero Point.

Djane took a deep breath, concentrating. She could feel part of her drifting off, out of her control, and it was too familiar a sensation to allow.

I am Jane Taylor. I was born in the Lower Wards. I went through foster care. I went to high school at Saint Kirby's. The first time I kissed a boy was when I was 15. The first time I kissed a girl, I was 19. I like the ice cream they make on the Mars colony. My favorite movie is "Fine Like Mine." I - focus. I need to focus.

I am Djane Taylor. I got sucked into a magic lighter and turned into a genie and went to Hell - twice - and wound up on a superhero team and that's just the last two days. If I don't hang on, everything I love will be destroyed. I need to hang on. Everyone else is hanging on.

I am Djane. I'm the team's genie. They don't see me as a slave. Nearly everyone I know would, but not them. I don't want them to die. I don't want to let them down. So don't let them down, Djane. Stay steady. Focus...

Major MegaGirl, I like that sound of that, Karra thought as she got off the shuttle and approached the Invincible, standing straight and tall, her cheeks flushing under Samson's regard. Her smile was wide and innocent. Maybe he sees me as a woman now, and not just a little girl...

"I like parties," Karra said brightly as she bent over and peered inside the hatch to the Invincible. It was a very fancy spaceship, she'd have to be more careful with this one. "You better start soon, Samson, we'll have this done in a blink and a zoom, you'll see!"

Then the enormous girl tried to climb in the standard sized hatch door, being careful not to break anything, but it was a tight fit. She had finally made it inside, nearly bent in double when Samson spoke up.

"Karra, you have a door just for you in the cargo bay. There's seats for people big like us in there too. Come, I'll show you."

"Oh! Goody!" Karra squealed as she carefully extricated herself from the ship and walked between the landing struts, following Samson eagerly. Samson tapped a biometric plate, and a broad ramp leading to the modified cargo-bay dropped from the belly of the Invincible. Karra scampered up the steep ramp glad she didn't have to squeeze into the spaceship again.

Teletha nodded, accepting the responsibility. "I'll do my best, but I will bring the team back." She smiled and hoped for Echo to arrive soon, she was key to her strategy. She looked around and nodded. "Does anyone here know how to pilot this craft?" She knew she couldn't and didn't want to risk another method. They'd need an experienced pilot for her plan.

Click to reveal..
Spending the HP.

Serene fought through the strange, sickening feeling. For her, her focus was simple:

Father. Must be like him. Must be strong. Must not disappoint him.

There was no room for anything other than success in her world; there was only the utter surety that she could not fail. Her mind held firm under the assault, even as she questioned the wisdom of trusting the Dragon Witch. But they were in too deep to stop; trying to force the spell to a halt might cause more damage than allowing it to play out. Besides, Serene wasn't yet ready to believe that she couldn't be trusted.

Gritting her teeth, she wrapped her arms around Azkatt as her friend snarled and whined, fighting his own mental war.

"The ship has an automatic pilot," Echo said as she entered the cabin behind the others. Fresh from a round of upgrades with her 'father,' she had changed clothes as well. Now garbed in form-fitting black that covered her from neck to toe, rather than leaving her arms bare like before. Her hair was shorter as well, and black.

"It will be sufficient to get us quickly to the asteroid and back."

She regarded Teletha curiously. "What kind of piloting do you have in mind?"

Samson nodded at the young heroines and gave MegaGirl another wink before he stepped aside. „Yeah, the Autopilot should take you safely there and back...“

„I volunteer, Sir“, a young man in a Pilot’s uniform interrupted Samson saluting as he turned to face him.

„Or you take him...“, Samson smiled and shrugged. „I guess having a human pilot in case the Autopilot fails is a good thing.“

Without hesitation the young man hurried to get on board but now without blushing at Teletha. He was obviously having a serious crush on her.

„We’ll keep an eye on you – much depends on the success of your mission. The defense line is just an emergency fall back plan and it’s not really our best solution...“

On board the Invincible things were much different compared to the shuttle they’ve been using before. The interior of the vessel was state of the art and reflected much what it promised from the outside. The yound volunteer Pilot made himself comfortable on the pilot’s seat checking the systems before he fired up the engines.

The Invincible took off and joined the ranks of the fleet as it created the perimeter orbiting Earth. It was an impressive sight to behold. Virtually every ship the military could engage was deployed and the world watched in awe as their finest were sent out to prevent the impeding doom they were facing. Looking back to the blue planet it gave everyone a warm, morale boosting feeling. It was instantly clear why they fought for their home, since it was the most beautiful place they have ever seen. Unfortunately they didn’t have much time to enjoy the view.

„I got the asteroid on my radar... damn that thing is fast and huge!“, the young pilot exclaimed excited. TK, who had been monitoring their mission stared briefly at the screens before she ordered to plot an interception course at maximum speed. There was no time to be lost if they were meant to succeed – secretely she wished that Watchwoman would be successful with whatever that Dragon Witch was trying to conjure.

The Invincible quickly closed the distance to the Asteroid which seemed to physically change in front of their eyes. A strange, dark cloud was slowly engulfing the huge planetoid which was simply impossible if the laws of physics still applied. The part where the prison was including the landing bay area was still accessible and it would take some fancy piloting. The pilot swerved around and approached the asteroid, slowly closing in to the landing bay...

Dorian Manor

The tension was getting unbearable but the young heroines managed to fight the effect the ritual was having on their sanity. Slowly the fatigue it caused eased and what they could see, while it still didn’t make much sense since it seemed impossible was at least tolerable to behold. The Dragon Queen was reaching out with her hands, as if she wanted to grasp the Asteroid and gently shove it through the Rift. Through clenched teeth she explained what she was trying to do, „I have... opened a rift to a... parallel dimension where... it won’t cause any damage... I can’t do... much more in this short time... it’s not a solution... but at least it prevents the death of your... world.“

The lines of the Pentagram on the floor were still on fire, fueled by blood or so it seemed. The Dragon Witch was completely soaked in sweat and blood which now flowed richly from the scales of her body. A normal human being would’ve bled to death many times but somehow the Dragon Witch endured and continued upholding the Ritual.

The Asteroid was slowly pushing through the dark cloud and was already three quarters past the rift. Serene and Djane felt another pull, much stronger now than the initial assault the ritual had caused which brought them down to their knees. It felt like skydiving without parachute and the room started spinning again. Almost losing their consciousness they could see how the Dragon Witch suddenly collapsed to the floor which abruptly ended the ritual. A creepy silence filled the room which was only interrupted by their own heavy breathing... had they succeeded? What happened?

She nodded. "My plan is simple, but filled with danger. We have within our means methods to split this Asteroid into smaller, more manageable pieces. The prison complex is powered by a massive fusion furnace. coupled with the explosives we have onboard, whatever we can find in the armory, and our own powers."

"As it stands we could throw everything we have against it's outside and we might scratch it but if we can crack it from the inside we'll make it small enough to where the other ships can take the pieces down."

MegaGirl giggled, blushing as bright as her hair when Samson winked at her again, then leaned forward, nearly pressing her face against the viewscreen as she listened to Tessa's plan from her seat in the cargo-bay. Her cat-like, golden-green eyes were wide with worry and excitement.

Karra didn't like the Planet-Chunk-Thing. That's where there was the icky magic stuff and where we got sucked into Bad-Word-Place and Mom got all sick and small and weak and Watchman lost his eyes and Colossus lost his muscles and... Her thoughts raced, with little direction and If MegaGirl had to breath in a conventional manner, she'd be almost panting. Instead, her hands gripped her leanly muscled thighs with truly titanic force before she got a hold of herself - a different kind of hold, a brainy type hold, 'cause her hands were already holding her legs, right?

She straightened her broad shoulders, face firming with heroic resolve, 'cause being heroic was what heroes did, and gave Tessa a nod through the viewscreen. "We can do it, Tessa. We'll break that stupid Planet-Chunk-Think like an egg or a tiny diamond." MegaGirl slammed a fist into her open palm, the others able to sense the tremendous concussive force the length of the ship. "We'll save the World, 'cause that's what Heroes do!"

And maybe after breaking that stupid Planet-Chunk-Thing where Mom lost her size and her strength and her powers, she'll get her size and her strength and her powers back and she'll be good as new like before.

Originally Posted By: Djane
Djane wobbled in place, then shook her head. She turned to Watchwoman. "Are you okay? Do you need help, ma - Serene?"

Part of her loved that Djane turned to her so instantly. Another part of her hated that it was because of the lighter in her belt. "I'm fine," she assured the genie, giving the woman a shaky smile. She quickly checked Azkatt, making sure he was alright. Aside from a slight shake at the upset he'd experienced, her pet was fine.

Moving around the circle - she wasn't sure the spell was done and wasn't sure it was safe to cross those runic symbols - Serene knelt next to the slumped Dragon Witch and hesitantly touched her arm. "Are you okay?" she asked the strange woman.

Echo listened to her teammates and frowned as she ran the numbers. In her mind's eye she could see something that was part daydream, part computer simulation based on sensor readings and data.

"Splitting the asteroid is suboptimal," she reported. We have no control over the faultlines, and some of the pieces could be too big for the fleet to destroy before impact. We would be replacing one large impact with several smaller impacts, still resulting in significant damage."

"But..."

Her eyes widened slightly and tracked rapidly back and forth, following things that only she could see. New simulations, and the bones of an alternative plan.

"If the fusion reactor is overloaded, and exploded...and the resulting blast can be contained and channeled...it could act as a giant, super-powerful thruster, changing the asteroid's course so that it misses the Earth entirely and falls into the Sun."

As soon as the ritual started Herak felt the power being drained from his body. The very Solar essence that empowered him as the Celestial Centurion was reaved from him to fuel the profane ritual of the Dragon Queen. Buffeted by intense fatigue and nausea the Centurion first slumped then dropped to one knee, his neutronium armor clanging against the stone floor as his nearly collapsed. He doubled over, almost unaware, hands falling to the stone to support him as power more was torn away to fuel the magics that would hopefully save this world. Herak knew the price and did not fight the violation, allowing it instead to draw as much power as was needed that this would would live.

He didn't even realize it was over for some minutes afterwards. Still on one knee with his hands supporting him on the floor Herak looked at his armor, noting the dullness of the finish and the absence of its normal golden colour. The Centurion dismissed his armor with a thought leaving him in a simple sleeveless black tunic and pants. His boots creaked as he slowly stood. "Did it work?," he asked, his voice almost a croak, "Was this world saved?"

Herak is fatigued; -1 speed rank.

Originally Posted By: Watchwoman

Moving around the circle - she wasn't sure the spell was done and wasn't sure it was safe to cross those runic symbols - Serene knelt next to the slumped Dragon Witch and hesitantly touched her arm. "Are you okay?" she asked the strange woman.

Originally Posted By: Celestial Centurion
He didn't even realize it was over for some minutes afterwards. Still on one knee with his hands supporting him on the floor Herak looked at his armor, noting the dullness of the finish and the absence of its normal golden colour. The Centurion dismissed his armor with a thought leaving him in a simple sleeveless black tunic and pants. His boots creaked as he slowly stood. "Did it work?," he asked, his voice almost a croak, "Was this world saved?"

Aina moaned obviously in pain from the exertion of casting such a powerful spell. „Did it pass through the cloud?“, she asked, eyes unfocused and arms flailing as she tried to get her bearings.

Where the rift had been was nothing left. Not a trace of its existence or anything else that hinted at what had just transpired in Dorian Manor. Electricity was kicking back in and the room got illuminated with light again. The markings on the floor turned to ashes and there was no trace of blood either.

Serene helped the Dragon Witch get up and looked at Herak with uncertainty, she wasn’t sure if they were successful or not, this question could only answer the Dragon Queen herself. Djane felt compelled to hover closer to the Celestial Centurion feeling much better in his immediate vicinity and he seemed to mutually feel the same. Being close to Djane felt like being close to the source of his power.

„Something was fighting against us... something that was left behind on that asteroid. I wanted to push the asteriod through the rift but it collapsed before I could finish the Ritual...“, she looked at the center of the Ritual and then up to the ceiling in the rough direction of the asteroids trajectory.

Suddenly she looked at Djane and then to Watchwoman – „We may still have hope! With your permission I could try to establish a link to the collapsed rift. It should still be there, something broke my focus and thus I couldn’t maintain the spell. I believe I can reopen it with the Genie’s help...“

In the meantime in Space

The Pilot took TKs and Echo’s conversation as queue to try a landing on the bay of the damaged Prisoncomplex. The Invicible elegantly steered through the hazardous space and managed to land with little trouble on the deck.

„I don’t know how long the maglock will hold so I guess you should hurry with whatever plan you just came up with. I’ll stay here until it’s not safe anymore – godspeed!“, the pilot said to the young Heroines who were already on their way off the vessel.

MegaGirl quickly took the lead but hesitated to open the doors to the complex by force. The last time she tried she was instantly covered with the only substance that took her powers and made her feel weak and miserable. Echo immediately took over and managed to establish a connection to the operating parts of the mainframe. The doors opened and she re-established pressure and life-support as soon as they were through the valve.

Inside the complex was still a creepy place. Blood was smeared all over the place, dead guards and prisoners wherever they looked.

„The fastest way to the Core is using the maintainance Elevator shaft. I suppose you could fly us down MegaGirl while TK keeps us steady on the decent. Once we’re down there it’ll take me a few minutes to calculate how to manipulate the Core to our desired effect. You can try to build some kind of casing in the meantime. It should be shaped like a huge exhaustpipe.“

MegaGirl nodded and did as Echo suggested while TK made sure their decent was safe and steady. The Core room was considerably warmer than the rest of the facility. There were also less corpses scattering the floor. Actually... there was some kind of portal like they saw before when they first time came here... the runes on the floor slowly lid up with reddish color as they approached it.

Herak's black eyes swept over the others, "Are the rest of you alright?" He looked to his left where the d'jinn had approached him. The Celestial champion felt power starting to flow into him, he was recovering more quickly with her near. Looking to D'jane he nodded, "Thank you for your assistance, as before you gift of strength is welcome and gladly received."

Suddenly she looked at Djane and then to Watchwoman – "We may still have hope! With your permission I could try to establish a link to the collapsed rift. It should still be there, something broke my focus and thus I couldn’t maintain the spell. I believe I can reopen it with the Genie’s help..."

The Centurion clenched his fists hard, shaking, golden light beginning to leak from between his dark skinned fingers. Through clenched teeth he ground out, "And what makes you think that what failed a moment ago could suddenly work now?"

"No, no, it could work, if I'm more active in the ritual..." Djane floated closer to the Dragon Witch, a bit hesitantly - feeling attraction towards both the Celestial Centurion and towards Watchwoman. "We know there's interference now. We can compensate for it. It might work... uh, that is, if you want to try again, Watchwoman."

Watchwoman glanced at the Centurion, considering his words. Djane's remark and question had those red eyes flickering to the slim blonde next, her unseen gaze considering. "That is up to you, Djane," she said as she rose and walked over to the other Legacy member. Putting a hand on her shoulder, Watchwoman added, "You're the one that would be taking the risk of messing around with magic that we don't understand, so its up to you. I have faith that our teammates can stop this rock if you don't want to do this."

Serene had the urge to pull off her face mask and look Djane in the eye. She had a sudden desire to make that emotional connection - but fear left her frozen. If they saw... if they knew... Karra had seen, but she hadn't understood. She didn't want the others to know.

MegaGirl's cat-like eyes glowed verdant gold at the sight of the incandescent runes on the floor and the rip in space growing wider above them. Her powerful hands slammed deep into the walls with a reverberating clang, legs locking in a wide, steady stance preventing the others from easily passing her.

"Stop! Stay back! There's another Bad-Hole!" Karra cried. "It wants to suck back into Hell- oops! The Bad-Word-Place! I don't want to go back there. Please tell me we don't have to go back there?" she begged plaintively, eyes looking around for something big to plug the ad-Hole with.

Dorian Manor

Originally Posted By: Celestial Centurion

The Centurion clenched his fists hard, shaking, golden light beginning to leak from between his dark skinned fingers. Through clenched teeth he ground out, "And what makes you think that what failed a moment ago could suddenly work now?"

Aina gave the Celestial Centurion a poisonous glare proving that her human disguise was just barely hiding her feral nature. Even in her weakened state she looked formidable and dangerous and under different circumstances she would’ve likely attacked him for his insolence.

Instead the Queen held back and looked at Watchwoman deciding to answer to her alone.

Originally Posted By: Djane
Djane put her hand over top of Watchwoman's, squeezing it a little. "If we understand the magic, then... O Queen, how would it work this time? How would we compensate for the interference?"

„With her everything is possible, does that suffice as explanation?“, the Dragon Witch said, still a bit agitated but she was trying to calm down and took a deep breath before she continued.

„If she lets me tap her Power I could break any interference that is trying to stop us. Someone or something managed to turn that asteriod into a powerful Talisman, a Fetter for the Demonic forces that seek to destroy you and your kind. It is extremely powerful and pushed me back... but I am convinced that with her help we’ll succeed.“, looking back at the Celestial Centurion she snarled briefly at him.

„Why do you question my word? I am not your enemy.“

Click to reveal..
No real update for the spacecrew since only MG has posted, I’ll give that another day or two

The golden light that filtered through Herak's fists faded and he forcibly unclenched them. "That remains to be seen. Trust must be earned not given and you have thus far asked much and provided little." Relaxing with effort he turned to D'jane once more, "I will stand by you if you wish to proceed, and lend my power to your own," he looked up at the Dragon Witch, "to ensure that the ritual succeeds this time."

TK's face became an unreadable mask. "Dammit."

"Everyone, stay clear of the portal." She looked to Karra. "No, we don't have to go."

"Echo, can you get where you need to start work on the overload? Also why not use the Elevator shaft as the exhaust port for the thruster maneuver? It's already made, and out of the same material as everything else here, unless you have another idea on how to reroute the power."

Djane frowned, turned around, and leaned close, whispering something in Watchwoman's ear.

Click to reveal..
"I don't want her to get the lighter. And I think that's what she's going for. She'll 'need it' for the ritual. Do you have a plan to get it back from her, if she gets it?"

Originally Posted By: MegaGirl

"Stop! Stay back! There's another Bad-Hole!" Karra cried. "It wants to suck back into Hell- oops! The Bad-Word-Place! I don't want to go back there. Please tell me we don't have to go back there?" she begged plaintively, eyes looking around for something big to plug the ad-Hole with.

Originally Posted By: Tesstarossa

TK's face became an unreadable mask. "Dammit."

"Everyone, stay clear of the portal." She looked to Karra. "No, we don't have to go."

"Echo, can you get where you need to start work on the overload? Also why not use the Elevator shaft as the exhaust port for the thruster maneuver? It's already made, and out of the same material as everything else here, unless you have another idea on how to reroute the power."

The portal rippled as if the air was made from some kind of quicksilver like liquid. Time seemed to stand still for a moment and then suddenly hell broke out – dogsized demons with viscious jaws and wicked claws and spikedcovered hide poured out of the portal attacking the young heroines in an attempt to stop them from overheating the core.

MegaGirl and TK immediately jumped into combat stances defending Echo who was about to check the controls of the reactor, if they could buy her just enough time...

Click to reveal..
Please roll Initiative with your next post and post your results in the new Combat Tracker, thank you

"No!" MegaGirl commanded, taking a long step forward and pointing a finger accusingly at the Demon-Dogs. "You're Bad-Demon-Things, you don't belong here, you belong in the Bad-Word-Place. Go back, or I'll blow you back, I swear I will," she promised with rising conviction before she inhaled, her full chest swelling, the air giving a low moan as it passed her parted lips.

Echo hesitated, torn by the conflicting priorities presented by the manifesting demon, and the need for her to begin accessing systems. Her brain was busily running simulations of the blast, and even with the overlaid neural net there was only so much multitasking she could do.

...elevator shaft focusing blast requires opening between reactor chamber and elevator shaft requires all elevator exits to be reinforced shut to prevent escape of exhaust requires asteroid's axial tilt to be rotated negative three degrees...

...emergency vents focusing blast unfeasible; aperture insufficient, explosion would simply destroy compound, slow asteroid slightly causing it to be more susceptible to Earth's gravity...

...emergency core expulsion conduit...

Her eyes refocused as she came back to the world outside her mind and its connection to the installation computers. There was an emergency protocol that allowed the fusion reactor's core to be ejected via an electromagnetic impulse. It followed a long, straight, smooth shaft that led from the reactor chamber directly to the surface. As the core traveled, armored doors would close behind it, trying to shield the interior of the base from the consequences of an explosion.

If the emergency system still worked, and if she could artificially delay the core expulsion until the reactor was already past its critical phase, and especially if she could predict the moment of the explosion precisely enough, then it should be possible to overload the reactor, delay the emergency system until it was too late to stop the explosion, then let it expel the core but timed so that the core would explode while in the shaft. The shaft would, in effect, become something like a giant gun barrel...the armored walls and doors focusing the fusion explosion straight out with none of the structural weaknesses that the elevator shaft had to complicate the matter.

There were a lot of 'ifs' in that. And she still needed to work out if the core eject shaft was pointing the right way to deflect the asteroid enough to miss Earth. But it was a start.

"I think I've got something," Echo reported. "Keep them off of me just a little longer!"

Originally Posted By: Watchwoman
Watchwoman nodded at Djane. "Tell us what you need us to do," she said, her unseen eyes resting on the witch. "Before I agree completely, I need to know what this entails - I don't want any more surprises."

„The nature of magic is unpredictable...“, the Dragon Witch tried to explain and remain calm although her feral nature was clearly painted on her face. „Your Genie... she’s special, her power is strong enough to make the impossible – possible. I am not out to steal her away if that is what you worry about. I have no use for such power but her help could make the difference between life and death. You may choose as you wish but I won’t be here and die when you refuse my request. My people need me to fight our war, not yours.“

The tall oddly coloured woman was bleeding from a myriad of cuts and gashes which were slowly drying against her scaly skin which in return soaked up the last droplets. Yet she was surely in a bad shape and her request for help seemed sincere, at least from a Dragon’s point of view. It was difficult to ascertain her true motives, no one had real experience with Dragons... Was it reasonable to cut deals with Dragons? Right now Serene would’ve preferred an honest brawl to this kind of situation.

---------------------------------------------------

Reactor Control Room, Delta Prison Pluto

The Demonhounds were snarling and growling at their prey slowly circling around the young heroines, ready to pounce any second...

Click to reveal..

Combat starts inside the Prison Complex. There are two dozen Demonlike dogs out of the portal and they seem to be pouring out of the portal in greater numbers. Tessa and MegaGirl are covering Echo who is dealing with the controls of the reactor. The portal is 30 feet away from TK and MG and Echo is another 30 Feet further behind at the controls. The room is roughly 100 feet in diameter filled with corpses and containers and control modules and monitors on the walls.

First up is MegaGirl, on deck is TK

Echo - since there's at least one combat turn before the Hounds can reach you, I grant you a roll vs. DC 20 to make your plan work. You can add your result on your turn of Initiative.

The Demon-Doggies kept coming, Echo saying she needed more time, so MegaGirl knew she had to act. She reacted unhesitatingly, mind empty, both a boon and a bane. "Go back.... Hoooooome!" she demanded in an inward gasp, still filling her lungs with super-compressed air.

Then the statuesque giant leaned forward and opened her mouth wide, exhaling with enough force to dwarf a class 5 hurricane, covering a full quadrant of the room. MegaGirl's roaring, powerful breath flung abandoned corpses like hail, ripped steel containers and control modules from the wall, crushing them flat against the walls. The walls themselves shuddered and warped under the force of her exhalation.

And the poor Demon-Doggies, they found themselves struggling for purchase against MegaGirl's Hurricane Breath, flesh taking an unceasing pounding, in danger of being peeled off their very bones, as they were forced back towards the portal. Only the ones that had scattered to the sides, trying to circle the Legacy Girls avoided the MegaGirl empowered cataclysm.

Click to reveal.. (MegaGirl's Hurricane Breath of Mega-Awesomeness!)

Hurricane Breath - Damaging Move Object, 250 ft. Cone Area. DC to Toughness DC 28.

Using this power, MegaGirl is vulnerable, halving her Active Defenses. Parry and Dodge are currently 3

TK reaches out trying to grab one of the the hellhounds to use them as a furry demonic cudgel and slam them into their bretheren.

Click to reveal..
grab with move object

(13:56:29) ChatBot: (Tesstarossa) rolls 1d20 and gets 5. 17

assuming it works slamming it into the others

(13:59:34) ChatBot: (Tesstarossa) rolls 1d20 and gets 4. +12 16

Watchwoman's head came up; her back stiffened. "I asked for an explanation of what you needed us to do," she said softly. "I didn't ask for a generic dismissal of our concerns. We may not understand what your magic is about, but I will know what you'll do with Djane before I agree to you doing it. She might be a source of unlimited magical power to you, but she is a thinking, feeling person to me, and I will not let her be abused."

No use for that kind of power my ass, Watchwoman thought, getting angry. She restrained that anger as she spoke; she was already pushing the sinister-looking Dragon Witch as far as she dared with her words. "You've said you could use our help and we've offered it in exchange for your cooperation," Watchwoman added, making herself as calm as possible. "All I'm asking is that you tell us what you need Djane to do and your spell will do to Djane."

Archived