World of Darkness: Balance of Power - Meta 1c [Changeling] Enemy of My Enemy

The Story Guide

Court had been called a week and a day after the Winter Masque by the three Monarchs of the Penny Royal Freehold. There were still wounds lick, and a new Winter Monarch to find; before all of that though, there was vengeance to be had. The hobs had not only broken their truce, they'd done so on a close to a sacred night as the refugees of Arcadia had. Mother Swan paced across the polished floor of the martial arts school that had been commandeered for the occasion, the heat of her flaring aura alone heated the open space to an almost uncomfortable sweat; Goldscale and Jekyll stood quietly towards the back of the room as the changelings slowly filtered in.

Once a headcount reached an acceptable number for the Autumn King, he nodded to his Spring counterpart. "Alright," Goldscale began without preamble, motioning Mother Swan over towards the group, "thanks for showing up, everyone."

"We've been conducting an investigation into what happened on Winter's Night, but other than 'bomb' and 'hobgoblins', we haven't been able to dig up the specifics on what happened." He crossed his arms, his expression brooding but confident as he moved on. "We've been trying to avoid large gatherings until we were sure we could secure the area, which Mother Swan has done for us tonight. And now we need answers. We need to know what everyone saw that night, anything they can remember. The hobgoblins have been an increasing annoyance for some time now, but on Winter's Night they killed the Winter King and several other members of our court, not to mention two human teenagers."

His scales creaked and scraped against one another as he continued, "None of us here have ever seen them use any sort of token like the bomb from that night; it's just not the sophistication you'd expect out of hobs." He glanced back to Jekyll and the still pacing Summer Queen and sighed, "Which unfortunately means that they've either had some extraordinary evolutionary leap in intelligence and magical talent, or they've gotten help from somewhere. So, after you've all told us everything you remember about Winter's Night, we'll be looking for volunteers for a motley to investigate this while the rest of us hold down the fort and keep trying to get a message out ("And back", Jekyll muttered) to the other freeholds in the Midwest."

His amber eyes scanned over the crowd, arms still crossed, and challenged, "So, who's first?"

With arms folded 'Adam' watched from his vantage along the back wall. The giant changeling scanned the room as Goldscale spoke, suspicious of everyone present. Anyone of the gathered could have assisted the hobs in their plan and although it sounded silly he'd discovered long ago that by planning for the worst was always best.

When Goldscale finished his speaking there was a moment of silence, that awkward type where everyone just sort of stares at everyone else because they don't have the courage to say anything. 'Adam' sighed and gave his lowered head a slow shake before pushing off the wall. Soon, all eyes were on him before he'd even uttered a word. 'Adam' was a recluse, even for a changeling, and had always stayed well away from the affairs of the others in the freeholds. Nobody knew him at all, only that he was incredibly strong and kept to himself.

His footsteps echoed slowly but thunderously through out the chamber. "I shall relate what I know, as I know it." He said, his voice booming through the chamber with a tone and volume that would leave with the excuse that the could not hear him.

Confident and proud, his speaking voice washed over the gathered like they were his troops on a battlefield. "Moments before the explosion I was summoned by my ward, Stephanie," Thankfully he left out the 'fairest' part to spare her any embarrassment (you know how kids are). "After removing her mask for a moment she witnessed a gaggle of diminutive guests that struck her chord of suspicion. She asked me to investigate the matter, so I gave it my full attention."

Like a man accustomed to speaking publicly (which seemed odd for a recluse) he made the entire audience his listeners by making sure he looked upon them all at some point while he explained. From the back rows to the front, and even straight at the eyes of the higher ranked among them, the floor truly became 'Adam's'. "My investigation took me to the kitchen, where Stephanie had been made privy to a plan where as they'd use some form of explosion to ruin the evening. I'm afraid this is where my story ends, for the very moment I arrived in the kitchen while trailing the suspicious ones, it exploded, resulting in what you all already know."

He paced heavily up and down the center isle. "Now, I shall no boast to any among us that I am beast possessed of skills fit for detective work, but I know war." He let the last part hang heavy in the air for the moment. "We all knew, even me who keeps well enough to himself, that we were not on good relations with the local hobgoblins. Yet we purposefully enchanted ourselves to the extent of not being able to recognize our own enemies walking through the front door." He turned to Goldscale. "Our enemies took advantage of our own lack of awareness. There is no excuse for the act they committed, and retribution shall be swift, but we nonetheless, may as well allowed have it to happen. I pray, in the future that we as a people make wiser decisions while our enemies are at the gate."

He walked back to his place among the back wall. "Your motley for the investigation has it's first member. As I said, these deeds shan't go unpunished, especially when the lives of two young humans are snuffed out because of our people's troubles. This wrong shall be righted."

• 3 weeks later...

"Oh I agree." Garrett looked rather feral for a brief moment, eyes glinting in a beastly manner. "We may have messed up, but those bastards still are gonna pay for it. I'm in!" The Beast growled with not a bit of pleasure at the announcement. He had been stewing over the attack the hobgobins had launched on the freehold, and everyone knew he had been an outspoken antagonist of the hobs when they first came to call.

Jack listened, leaning against the rear wall of the dojo with one booted foot crossed idly over the other. She tried not to roll her eyes at the posturing and the grandiose language. Keep it simple, right? Heh. All this courtly bullshit was exactly that. They'd already identified the problem, and all they needed to do was wipe it off. But, no. They had to gather up a roomful of freaks to make some kind of committee or something to decide what to do about it.

The hobs killed some people. It was gonna happen eventually, but somehow everybody was so shocked, and there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Yeah, she reflected, it sucked that they died, but how long did the pixie brigade really think the treaty was gonna last?

"Is anybody really surprised?" she grumbled into the quiet that followed Garrett's declaration. "Seriously?" Glancing around the room at the assembled freakshow, it was clear that at least a few were. Jack shrugged, as eloquent a gesture as any other she might've made. "We handed them an engraved invitation to fuck us over, and they took it. Now, if you guys wanna fly off the handle and chase right off after the hobs, be my guest." Autumn-leaf eyes alighted on Garrett for a moment before sliding casually back down to the tan fingers looped through her belt. "Thought crossed my mind, too. Problem is, I'm pretty sure the hobs were just baiting the trap. Went off after a few of 'em when the fiery shitstorm hit, and they all but drew me a map right into the Labyrinth. A snowman managed to pull me back from the brink, but they made it too fucking easy. Somebody gave 'em that shit, and somebody is laughin' it up right now. You wanna kill hobs? Sure. Count me in. I hate the dirty little fuckers. Just don't expect me to stop there."

For the laconic Hunterheart, that was an extraordinarily long-winded speech, and she stood there silently afterward with her head tilted slightly to the side, chin angled up as she cut her eyes across the room.

Stephanie knew, just knew, that she was about to create a shitstorm. But she had to go through with it to get to join the motley. "I'll help," she said, stepping forward to stand next to 'Adam'. Just being close to him made her feel better, even though she knew that his presence couldn't stop every ill headed her way.

Goldscale looked at her dubiously. "This isn't a place for children."

Stephanie bit back a sarcastic remark that wouldn't be helpful. "For starters, I can confirm that the hobs were taking orders from another. They didn't know much about the bomb; they were worried about it being in the oven. Then another mentioned a 'bossa'. I have also seen them," she pointed out. "This... lady," she said, nodding to Jack, "has hunted them, and at the least, I can confirm we have the right hobs when we catch them."

She cleared her throat, looking nervous. "And I have skills that I'm not sure anyone else who has volunteered yet has. I've studied human criminal science, which I know doesn't always work when magic is involved. But sometimes, when creatures depend on magic too much, they can forget other things. Maybe I can help."

It was a far cry from the other three's declarations of assistance. Her stance wasn't helped by someone's catty whisper of "Nancy Drew?" She felt a blush heating up her face.

• 3 weeks later...

Goldscale shook his head and opened his mouth to deny her again when a white hand settled on the Spring King's shoulder. "Let her join, Goldscale. We above all should know that what is seen is not always what is." Mother Swan's eyes narrowed on the pink-haired Fairest, "We will not slow down for you or make accommodations. If you join us, you must keep up on your own. Prove yourself, little one, and when they whisper of you it will be with awe and fear."

Goldscale sighed, but wouldn't publicly contradict a fellow monarch. "Well, that's one story and four volunteers. Do the three of you have anything to add about what happened that night?" His gaze swept out over the larger group, "And are these four the only ones with the courage to step forward?"

Stephanie felt a wave of relief. They wouldn't exclude her. She bowed her head in acceptance and understanding of Mother Swan's edicts. This was her chance to prove herself, and she wouldn't let it pass her by. She smiled up at 'Adam', her excitement and eagerness to help clear in her pink gaze.

Archived