where I am at this moment

Ashnod

Stranded.

Well, not precisely. But I am iced in halfway to home between St. Louis and Kansas City, at a hotel we checked into when the interstate was too icy to risk looking for a hotel further down the road.

Fun fun fun.

One hand - we had enough sense to get off the road and get a hotel. Other hand, stuck away from home, away from my kitties, and stuck in a hotel with nothing to do. (Writing this from my Sidekick, which isn't the greatest web browsing option in the world).

Bored. Bored. Bored.

-kimberly (the woman behind ashnod's keyboard)

What Chosen said. Bored is good. And that's a 'good' place to get caught in a blizzard... well... OK, not so much "good" as "not bad".

Being home but without power or driving alone in the middle of nowhere is much worse. eek

You'll be fine, the plows will come, and all this will make an interesting tail to tell in the future. wink

Take care.

Well, we got an early start, had what passed as the complimentary breakfast, and hit the road. I'm now home safely, and unlike some people in my area, we have power and heat. So in the end I got off pretty easy. Lot of ditched cars between Columbia and Kansas City, so I feel that we made the right decision to stop when we did.

Thanks everyone who was thinking positive thoughts for me and my fiance the past two days.

*BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL!*

• 2 weeks later...

Status report:

Wednesday - slightly sick (left work early)

Thursday - very sick (called in)

Friday - slightly sick (had a vacation day pre-planned)

Saturday - FUCKING sick. really fucking sick.

No fucking sick time left until February. Whimper...

Either I go in and suffer and infect the whole place, or get written up for attendance.

Whimper...

No problem....but that can't happen until freaking Monday, hon. Had I known I was going to feel like this yesterday, i'd have scheduled something for today. As it yesterday I felt about 90% recovered and had no clue today I'd fall back to 50%.

'sides even if I do, it doesn't solve the sick time problem, hon.

Then you should plan to go on disability. What's it cost to bribe an intern these days?

wink

We're pretty creative people. We should be able to come up with something imaginative, twisted and maybe even truly memorable. For bonus points it might even have a tiny tip of the hat to the truth in it.

Unfortunately, corporate cultures are very different. Some are pretty authoritarian in their outlook toward Paid Leave, so we don't know what angle might work.

My personal favorite is to smooze someone in Human Resources. They usually can help you with the byzantine ins and outs of the "acceptable" leave practices.

If all else fails, I'm pretty sure you can call them from the emergency room of any hospital and tell them that (unspecified) people are talking about (walking pneumonia, scarlet fever, measle, or any other form of either highly dangerous or catagious disease) and that you'll call them back as soon as the doctors provide you with the complete diagnosis. If your supervisor orders you into work then you wait a beat (pregnant pause) and ask them if they are ordering you away from your doctor to your place of employment (don't say work, say "place of employment" as though you were taking notes for your future legal case).

wink

I'm pretty sure emergency medical is outside the bounds of normal sick leave, permissive absence, etc.

Official word from the doctor - viral infection. No medication except standard stuff (headache medicine, cough surpressants, etc). Only real way to beat this is to let it run it's course.

Which could be up to 2 weeks. (whimpers and cries) Unless there was a gestation day or two that I'm unaware of, this is only day 6. 8 more days to go.

I feel for you Ashnod. I have been getting sicker since Sunday and not feeling better, but I gotta work tomorrow no matter what. No work = no pay, and bills need paying.

Think about me about 1pm EST as I will be riding around, window down, delivering mail and we are hoping for a high of 40 degrees.

On the plus side, the air is so dry it will clear my sinuses for a while.

Breathing good.

Archived