Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Ch. 9 Interlude: One Man's Memories is another....

Columbian

Francis performed calisthenics, a common practice of his from keeping bored and being able to exercise while thinking over issues. This current one was not one as such, but something he felt broaching to a certain person he was expecting.

A knock on the door sounded, and he knew it was the person he was expecting as he got up. "Come in."

Kai walked in. "You wanted to talk?" he asked of the elite agent. Francis nodded. "I wanted to explain a bit more about where I came from."

"Oh?" Kai asked.

Francis grinned suddenly. "Homeline was interested in Earth Prime, because the two dimensions have a special kind of relationship. As the eggheads put it, there's some kind of universal time-line for each dimension, and Homeline appears to have split off from Earth Prime's at some point."

Kai sorted through Francis' words before he seemed to get it.

"You're from the future?" he asked, astonished.

"One future." Francis replied. "There's still the Dalaaran Empire, but Ryoko is the Empress."

"What else can you tell me beyond that? What's life like there?" The door shut behind him, and Kai took a seat.

"I had a feeling, after speaking with Ruri, but I wasn't sure."

"What's the empire like, what's the relationship with Earth. what about the Federation?"

"The Federation? Well, right now would be about 200 years ago, so..."

"About 60 years ago Homeline time, a massive Federation fleet came in. Scared the bejeesus out of everyone, but it turned out tey just wanted to celebrate and say goodbye. Found a new home, and it was out of the galaxy itself. Nobody's heard of them since."

"The Empire has stayed strong with Earth, they helped out with the projects to terraform Mars and the Moon for colonies. And 5 years ago, there was a war. The Gullians, avians we nicknamed the Gulls, appeared. They had their own massive empire, and they were looking to expand it. After two years, the Empire and Earth ended that hope. Ryoko is the Empress as I said. The Emperor is gone, and funny thing... he would have died around this time."

Francis murmured.

Francis shook his head. "I'm not from the literal future. Homeline and Earth Prime are bona fide separate dimensions. There's no risk of time line changes. Which is why I'm here. In a sense, this is probably as close as you can get to our actual past, short of time travel, which hasn't been figured out. The bosses wanted to be able to get a center stage view of what was going on. Authentic documentation of these events would have been both an education and commercial motherlode."

"We've time-traveled once here..." "Two of my companions didn't come back though. Only Valerie and Masane were there. Amaya... She's no longer an ally."

He scowled. "So you're here to see what happened and where. You'll use that data to try to help things in your world, to make money?"

Francis shrugged. "Homeline's policy is to treat anything of possible commercial or non-commercial value as a potential resource. Technically, this recording of history is for educational and research purposes. I understand making money off of it sounds ridiculous, but it's practically a law of nature that corporations always have an eye to the bottom line."

He eyed Kai. "As, if I'm correct, you are the CEO of Satoshi, I thought you'd understand."

"Satoshi hasn't been about the bottom line for months. All we do is try to protect the Earth and its citizens." Kai bristled. "I am the CEO, and Head Captain, Supreme leader of Satoshi yes, and I care about my people. Because of our technology we lack for nothing if given a little time."

"I'm not to thrilled with the idea of you getting all the secret knowledge from us and bringing it to your home. There are some technologies that are best left alone."

"Ah, but Mon Capitaine, as I have said before, the device that brought me here is now wrecked beyond repair, and my pre-established contacts are apparently dead. I've got no hope of getting home, much less completing my mission. So any intelligence gathering is out of personal interest, rather than espionage.

That personal interest, plus the fact that I can and will make myself useful, is why I'm here." Francis replied.

"We didn't have any time to really speak with Akina, but she likely can give me what I need of your home from your memory. From that I can probably send you home."

"No door is closed to me, ever."

He nods. "Just keep in mind that Ruri will work on your armor for you, but she's probably going to keep any trade secrets from you, that's just how she is."

Francis shook his head again. "I think I've said this before... or not. Anyway, Homeline's policy on secrecy, well... they take a dim view of spilling the beans. So I don't really have much desire to return home. I knew that I wouldn't be going home the minute I opened my mouth and explained myself in the hospital ward."

"You just told m that My Girlfriend isn't the ruler of the Empire she's heiress to and you can't tell me what happened to any of us. Yeah, I'll keep it quiet, there's no reason to make anyone else worry."

Kai got ready to leave and paused. "Take Care Francis, Call on Masane if you need help."

"Kai. All I said was that in Homeline history, the Emperor dies around this period of time, and Ryoko is the Empress in my time. I have no idea about what happened to Lily in the interim- your girlfriend? Heh. Didn't know that. For that matter, unless all references were erased, the name Kai Morisato doesn't exist in our historical records. So I think it's fair to say that I cannot predict the future, at least right now. But thank you for your well wishes." Francis nodded.

"See you. And eat a healthy meal. We need our minds and bodies in good shape for what's coming."

Archived