World of Darkness: Balance of Power - Meta 1b [Mage]: Sleep walking may be hazardous

Daven_OOC NPCRM #1

Jan 31st 2:00 P.M.

All Mages are at full willpower and start at full mana but mark in your first post if you have spent any to put up spells. No one may have spells already on them at the start of this thread, they must all be applied within post.

This was the fourth body discovered. Only one had been found by the sleepers and regrettably a news story had come out for it. The other two and now this one had been located by the shadow council first and cleaned up. All four of them were found in the same condition. The body had been ripped apart and was generally all over a room. Chimera stood in the middle of the room examining the scene. Watcher stood at the door way, as always, looking ready to fall asleep on his feet. Evidence moved around the room analyzing everything. Sprite stood in one corner unmoving. The other three were waiting for her to confirm what they already knew. The wait had already become unbearable to Chimera. She wanted to walk over and shake the young Mage. She wanted to demand anything that Sprite had learned. Just one month since the concillium had been formed and now this was happening. Sprite slumped against the wall and let out a breath as if she had been holding it the whole time. Chimera glanced at Evidence but could not see any apparent signs of paradox. The main advantage of having a guardian around. The Shadow Council rarely had to worry about paradoxs. All three of them waited for Sprite to regain her composure.

"It is the same. They broke in and waited. She came home and they grabbed her, questioned her...Then they changed and did this."

Chimera turned to Watcher, asking him a question with her gaze. He scratched his beard for a moment, he really did fit all the stereo-types of a wizard from the dark ages. All he needed was the robe and staff. Finally he nodded.

"From what I can tell she was also a Sleepwalker. Remember though it is hard to be absolutely sure. The only way to give you better accuracy would be to drag the poor soul back from the underworld and to do test on it." Chimera quickly shook her head. The last thing she wanted was to witness what was left of the soul that died in this fashion. She found her self returning to old training. You had to separate your self from humanity when dealing with these situations. An awakened controlled powers akin to gods, and sometimes they had to rise above petty feelings to most effectively use them. She glanced at Evidence who was looking at her. She knew she had taken on a facial expression that told him exactly what she was doing.

Four sleepwalkers torn apart. They were found and killed in only five days. This was unbelievable. They had spent so long in this city without incident. Why would this be starting now? Sprite spoke up. "They still didn't get what they were looking for. They are not going to stop here. We need to gather all the sleepwalkers in the city that we can find and put them somewhere safe."

Evidence chuckled coldly. "Yes, we should save them the time of tracking them all down. Why not simply find the ones responsible and deal with them. Watcher can pull out what they look like from Sprites mind and pass it on to ours. The four of us can locate and deal with any threat."

Watcher's eyes opened slightly wider as he looked at Evidence in disdain. "Do you ever have a solution other than death for a problem Evidence? We should consider why they are doing this. Perhaps there is a good reason."

"A good reason for hunting down sleepwalkers and torturing them for information before slaughtering them? Sprite, please enlighten us, what were the questions about again?"

The young acanthus looked nervous for a change. She rubbed her hands together as she looked around the room. "They are trying to figure out how to track down Mages. They don't seem to have any better intentions towards us when they find us."

Watcher stood up a bit taller. "Jumping and killing a sleepwalker is far from proving you have the strength to take on a Mage. Especially if it were one of us. This has not escalated to open warfare yet and we need to do everything in our power to prevent that. We simply do not know enough yet Evidence."

"ENOUGH!" Chimera looked at each of them in turn. She best get control of her cabal before this city had another problem. All four of them were powerful, and if they stopped working as one it would only lead to more chaos. "This is not just our city anymore. We called the others here, and we formed the government. This is not our call to make alone. Lets gather everyone together. Evidence, I want you to assist Sprite with sending out the summons. I want it to arrive to everyone yesterday afternoon. Make it for tonight. Sprite I also want a net over this entire city. Every sleepwalker needs as much luck as you have to spare right now. Finally I want a curse on anyone who brings harm to a sleepwalker. That should keep the situation under control"

Sprite gave a whistle of appreciation. "You want this all done by tonight?" Chimera nodded and indicated eight o' clock. "Well that's goin to keep my resonance nice and full for awhile. That plus my usual barriers will keep me from casting. We better get to it Evidence, we are going to need some time for rituals." Evidence nodded and followed her out. He stopped a moment and glared back at Chimera. He hated such vulgar things being done. Although Chimera noted that what he probably hated most was the time traveling summons. She turned to Watcher who was again just staring at the room scratching his beard slowly.

"I need information. Legends, myths, anything that can tell us something more than silver and wolfs bane are the best weapons to use against werewolves."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 31st 8:00 P.M.

Sprite was still upstairs working on the city wide spells that Chimera wanted. Chimera sat in the chair of the Hierarch while Watcher was in a larger comfortable chair that he could dose in over in the corner. Evidence stood off to the side where he could see the whole room, and specifically keep an eye on the entrance. It looked like most, if not all of the Mages had gathered. There were even a few new faces. It was sad that for some this would be there first meeting. Chimera decided to give it another few minutes so that Sprite could be a part of it.

Click to reveal..
On January 30th everyone received, through one median or another, a message.

To the Concilium of Kansas City,

It has come to the attention of the Shadow Council that we are under attack. I am calling a immediate gathering to discuss the situation. The meeting will be tomorrow at eight in the same building we first gathered in. In the mean time it is highly advised that all Mages travel with spells prepared for defense and that you keep a close eye on any Sleepwalkers you hold close to you. Please be punctual.

Chimera

Hierarch of Kansas City

Head of the Shadow Council

If for what ever reason you want to be arriving late then post your arrival. Other than that feel free to post general chat between the characters.

Firerat walked in, looking quite tense and worried. Carl followed him loyally, but looking as much confused as tense. Ever since Charlie had received the summons note and the warning attached, he had demanded Carl stay at his house until the crisis was resolved. Carl, even with an explanation, was still trying to process this turn of events, but recognized a threat to himself and the 'boss' when he saw one. Thus the Sleepwalker had secreted a gun on his personage, and brought it with him to the meeting, with his Mage friend placing a spell on him for safety.

Furthermore, Firerat had his protection spell active and his Mage Sight fully going. Arriving and moving through the bustle, he pulled up a chair at the Councilor's table, and had another one set up behind him at the wall for Carl to sit at. He did not want his friend too far from his watch.

Click to reveal..

WP 5/5

Mana 10/11

Fortune's Protection on Firerat - Day Length

Fortune's Protection on Carl - Scene Length

Supernal Vision on Firerat

(06:14:32) (Firerat): Supernal Vision

(06:14:48) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 10d10 and gets 1,6,1,7,1,5,8,2,7,4.

(06:15:04) (Firerat): Fortune's Protection #1

(06:16:51) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 6d10 and gets 1,6,6,6,9,2.

Fortune's Protection #2

(16:39:07) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 6d10 and gets 9,1,7,3,10,3.

Tinea breezed in, a long scarf curling around behind her and her knees scuffling on the inside of her long coat as she went. On getting fully inside she looked around as if unable to believe her eyes, then lapsed into an incredulous grin.

"I made it. Lords and ladies, I'm on time. I should jot this..." she patted her pockets for a pen, and gave up when one didn't present it self. Still breathing a little heavily from her hurry over, Tinea sank into a seat with an expression of overwhelming self-satisfaction on her owlish face.

"Now. What's all this about?"

Raiden was annoyed and angry. People died every day, but for this to happen so fast after the forming of the Consilium, it was a direct insult and attack on the Magi of the city. He'd come prepared with his defenses up and ready.

"It isn't good. You all saw the news, about that murder on the north side."

He didn't know much more, he'd not had alot of time to get in touch with Chimera or the others on the council.

"Someone is targetting and attacking sleepwalkers and us would be my guess from the message. That's why we're here, that and to figure out how to shut them down."

Click to reveal..
spend one mana for daily unseen shield rote. +2 to armor for the day mana 6/7

supernal vision active

(21:41:28) ChatBot: (Kaien) rolls 7d10 and gets 4,10,6,7,9,4,9. (3 successes)

Sprite came down the stairs looking a bit tired. She made her way to a chair and sat down. Chimera stood and motioned for everyone's attention. She still had that hard emotionless look to her. The worst thing that could happen would be to give in to emotion right now. They did not need the mages to start tearing the city apart.

"Gathered Awakened, thank you for coming on such short notice. I wish it could be under better circumstances but we have a problem. Five days ago we located the site of a murder. The victim was a sleepwalker. Our greatest concern at the time was the manner of the death. What was left of them was mostly...splashed around their apartment. At the time we started a basic investigation. The next day a second body was found by the police. That is the news story Mr. Raiden is referring to. We determined that they were also a sleepwalker and started to investigate by magical means. Sprite was able to go back and witness the murders. In the past three days two more have been murdered.

We have covered up the most recent two as well as the first murder so that the sleepers do not get involved. This is a matter for us to handle. Sleepwalkers are being hunted, and murdered in an attempt to gather information on how to find us. They were then torn apart, whether they gave any information or not."

Chimera paused, she glanced at her cabal mates and seemed to be in a inner debate. The bonfire had been set up. Gasoline had been dumped on it, and now she got to be the match. For a moment she considered not sharing it but figured if she didn't Evidence would. He would most likely do it at the time it could cause the most damage.

"The most disturbing bit of information so far gathered is the identities of the killers. They were Werewolves, and they seem insistent on hunting us down. Three of the sleepwalkers killed had not ever had any contact with the Awakened. The last one had only moved here recently and did not know of any local mages. Eventually they are going to figure out who and where we are. I have called everyone together to discuss what we should do. Then the council will decide what course of action we will take."

Chimera sat back down. She looked first at her fellow council members then at the rest of the room and waited.

Tinea frowned.

"How are the werewolves finding sleepwalkers?" she inquired. "It seems to me as if it would be easier to locate a fully awakened Mage than a sleepwalker. There's very little metaphysical difference between a sleeper and a sleepwalker, while mages can't help but distort the world around them in small ways."

She shook her head.

"I suppose the next pertinent question is, do we have any means of identifying werewolves that are not obviously in an inhuman form? We'll also have to figure out why they suddenly decided to declare war on us, but for now we should focus on the practical side of things."

"Auras." Charlie replied, "Or ours can be disguised as werewolves, and we could draw them out thus, theoretically. And... I know it doesn't sound pretty, but the best way to stop them would be giving them a clear message they're making a mistake, and I mean CLEAR."

'Janet' watched the room quietly from her position next to Remiel. There was no concern on her face, only interest. She wasn't afraid of werewolves, though she should have been; Janet feared few things, really. But she was concerned for Ren. He didn't have her killer instincts.

Idly, she wondered what the werewolves were like, and what it would be like to kill one. It sounded interesting, and she felt that hunger roll through her gut. It had been too long now, and the gnawing ache was nearly constant. She wondered if a werewolf would sate it, and she leaned forward, trying to learn more about the loup garou.

Watcher spoke up, though some of the room had to strain to hear him. "Werewolves deal with spirits. If my research is accurate they and the spirits have a relationship. They most likely are using the spirits to locate the sleepwalkers. A spirit does not often like to risk the attention of mages, therefore they would not lead the werewolves to one.

I do agree with my colleague that the why is really what is important. There is not really any historical animosity between the Awakened and the lycanthropes. It seems odd they would suddenly decide to take up arms against us. Especially as I have not received word from the Mysterium of this happening in other cities."

Sprite called out. "As I have heard, werewolves are more fighters than talkers. They listen to strength, why not just locate them and have the Arrow go and show them some strength?"

Firerat shook his head in quiet disagreement. "You may be right Watcher, but I don't believe it's our concern at the moment. The fact is, as you said, we are at war now. Safety and the security of the Awakened in this city is the primary issue. A war is not on my preference list, but that is why we have to head them off before that happens, and a preemptive strike is thus required. They need to know not to mess with our people."

The last line was said such, that worldly mages present could distinctly be reminded of a street tough, preparing for a turf war.

Raieden sighed. "We need to send them a message, I agree. However I would prefer that we not just randomly kill one. "I'd rather we find the werewolves that killed these people, and we take out only them."

"It may take more effort, but we cannot just go out to kill them all. We cannot act rashly here. Find one, and we interrogate it, find out why this is going on. If they just want us dead, then we show them we won't lay down for them, and are more of a fight than they could ever imagine."

"What do we know about the werewolves here?" Tinea asked. "How many are there? What kind of organization do they have? If they're like normal wolves, and organize in packs, then we may not be at war with ALL of them...just the pack that's doing this. I think we need to learn more about what we're up against, so we don't make this bad situation worse."

• 2 weeks later...

As Evidence started to speak it almost seemed like he paid this as much mind as he did choosing what to have for breakfast. What emotion was behind his words did not seem appropriate to the situation.

"Yes we should investigate, and research. Perhaps by the time we figure this out we will still have a few sleepwalkers left in the city. After all they are only sleepwalkers, more will be born. On the other hand if we were to simply hunt down a werewolf pack we could question them. If they did not want to answer we could show them how...uncreative they have been so far in getting answers out of sleepwalkers. If they are all involved then we give them the simple choice of leaving the city now or face death. If only some are involved we find those and deal with them."

"I cannot say I share your patience or tolerance of risk to the Sleepwalkers. After all, some DO aid us, and they're hardly tools to be used at whim." Firerat's dry voice did have a momentary edge of hardness to it, with the perceptive seeing the reason sitting behind him.

"Regardless," Firerat continued, tone more level now, "the question still remains how we can track them down. Watcher, you say they have a relationship with spirits. Do you think those with the Arcanum of Spirit could conversely get spirits that could help us track them down perhaps?"

Click to reveal..
I'll get spells posted up here once I'm at home and have access to the books.

Remiel nodded, his own entourage seated next to him. The young mage had come in in quite a different form than the previous meeting; he and his charges were blanketed in protective magic and the Obrimos farily vibrated with an alert, tense, and protective air. "I'm with Firerat on this. We need to track them down before they strike again. We need to know not only why they're doing this, but how they're able to single out sleepwalkers. If they can do that, it seems like they would be able to detect full mages as well; if this is some strange opening gambit in a bid for an all-out war, we need to know. If it's something else, we need to know that, too. Is there any historical animosity between the werewolves and the mages of the city? Is this a vengence murder spree?"

He studied the room for a quick moment, "Perhaps we should designate two teams, one for research and one for reconaissance. That way we can look into the history and the present at the same time." He shook his head, shooting the Guardian a hot look, "Waiting is not an option."

Chimera spoke up. "That seems a good place to start Remiel. I would suggest that we put Tinea in charge of the research team and Raiden in charge of reconnaissance. Anyone who wishes to be a part of either team see them for instructions. In the mean time as I believe I am the only Thyrsus in the city I will investigate the spirit realm to see if I can learn anything there."

From the back of the room a man spoke up. "You are not the only Thyrsus here Hierarch. I am well schooled in the spirit arcanum." Ringer, the only other declared Free Council in the city stood and walked more to the front with the rest. "I would be honored to accompany you and watch your back."

Chimera smiled to the young man. "Wonderful, then all that is left is the council agreeing this is the best course of action." She looked to her left and right. "What does the council say to this course?"

Remiel nodded his assent, "I think I am best suited to help with research, but if you need more assistance than you get in volunteers Raiden, please come let me know."

"Tinea, is there somewhere you would like your researchers to gather to discuss where we'll begin?"

"I'd say the library's the logical place to start," Tinea mused. "We'll look up records kept of any dealings or accords with local werewolves...and we should also see what can be found of werefolf in general; their habits, abilities and motivations."

She looked over at Raiden. "Do you have any time mages in your team though? It could be worth trying to coax images from the past of what happened to these people."

"I'm in for recon, but Time is not something I know about." Firerat mentioned. "But Sprite though..." he glanced at the Acanthus. "You wouldn't happen to have the ability to do so? Because, I doubt wolf mouths make good for speaking. If they took human form, and I get a description, well... I know people. Sleepers yes, but people where I live can use good money. A few hundreds, and a little luck can get us the normal identities of the perpetrators."

Janet stood up and walked over to the mage named Raiden. "Count me in on whatever you have planned," she said easily, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to announce she was up for hunting werewolves.

She certainly looked competent enough, if one was going solely by her confidence in herself. The attractive woman flashed Raiden a quick smile as she looked him over, apparently assessing him.

He looked to Tinea. "I do not that i know of. I will continue to ask though. We'll find something."

He nodded to Remiel. "Thank you for the offer, once I see exactly what I have, I'll get with you if it doesn't meet my needs."

When Janet approached, he smiled. "Well said then. We'll see who else decides they want to be a part of this Recconaissance in Force, and then we'll go over the plan."

Inwardly he was trying to correlate everything they knew about the killings, and just what the team could do. more than anything they could capture a werewolf, or kill one. Finding one from scracth though, that was something he wondered if they could pull off.

Sprite walked over and leaned on the table next to Raiden. "You know I am in oh councilor of the Arrow. As to using time magic I already have and have watched each killing. Trust me, you don't want those images in your head. The werewolves are...brutal. I have a pretty good idea on what a few of them look like but if you ask me all we need is a bit of luck to find them." Sprite giggled.

From across the room Evidence spoke up, keeping his gaze squarely on Janet. "I congratulate you Raiden, the werewolves are hunting sleepwalkers so you have decided to take some bait. Might I suggest send her somewhere you think they are first and wait to see if they bite." He stood up and looked around the room. "Good luck to all of you, if you actually find them before me I will be happy to come and assist you in the killing." With that he walked out of the room.

Watcher looked to Tinea and gave that grandfatherly smile. "While you are leading the research here I will retire to the Mysterium library and see what the order has on Werewolves. I will report to you any thing I find my dear."

Firerat got up from his chair. "Sprite, I would like you and Watcher to provide me those images." He looked undaunted by the suggested brutality. "I've seen plenty of hard shit in my life already, and I do think it's best that I can take advantage of them."

It didn't seem there was any budging him from his request.

Remiel sighed and shot the departing Guardian an annoyed look before heading over to Raiden and Janet. He leaned in, speaking quietly to the two of them, "He's being an ass, but he has a point. Janet, this isn't a game. It isn't Hollywood and props. There really are werewolves and they will rip you to pieces without blinking. Faster than you can blink, from what I understand."

He took a breath and let it out in a soft sigh. "I'm not stupid enough to tell you what to do. I've seen how well that works, but you've got to understand just how dangerous this is." He put up placating hands, "And I know you can take care of yourself, but this is an entirely different playground than innercity gangs or dodging turf wars. The others won't have the time to watch out for you, and you don't have access to the same resources that we do."

Remiel glanced over to where Ren was watching them, the darker man's eyes unreadable at the moment. He leaned in to whisper in Janet's ear, a hand resting on her back. "I don't know how much more he can take right now. If something were to happen to you...."

Kaien nodded, not really thinking of Janet that way, but not caring to raise it before Evidence.

Once left with his team, he was about to speak when Firerat and Remiel spoke.

He waited. "If that's what you want Firerat. He looked to Sprite. and nodded. "If you would please."

He looked to Janet and Remiel. "I don't think of anyone as "bait." Janet, Remiel is right, this will be unlike any normal incident. If you're still in, then great. I'm not going to turn away volunteers."

He looked to back to Sprite. "Where do we start then since you've seen all the sites?"

Tinea nodded at Watcher. "Thanks. I'm afraid I'm fairly new to this area. Are there any mages of note we might contact who have private libraries who might be amiable to allow us to access them? It seems silly to have more than one mage in the Mysterium records, but I'm not sure where else to start looking."

"Then I'll have to make sure nothing happens to me," Janet said, as if it were that easy. She lowered her voice and it became fierce. "Besides, they're hunting me. I'm no safer anywhere, if they have ways of finding us. You need to watch Ren and you can't watch me all the time." She looked firm and a little fierce. "I want to help." The last was said loudly enough for Kaien to hear.

Sprite shrugged and nodded to Watcher. "Use Telepathy then and link us." Watcher looked between her and Firerat a moment and everyone's unseen sense went off. Firerat's mind filled with the images of the four locations, he watched the questioning and torture. Most in the room with the victims were wolves, the three that committed the acts themselves looked like they could barely pass as human. Two men and a woman each looking to be about six feet tall stood around the sleepwalkers. All of them had longer hair and notable facial hair. Each had rather angular faces that showed almost wolf like features. As quickly as he had started the link was broken. Sprite slowly sank down in to the nearest chair.

"The sites were all over, there is no pattern to them. I used magic to find the victims after the first. Your guess is as good as any about where to start searching."

Watcher handed Tinea a list of libraries that had good collections and shrugged. "I would start with myths and lore, your not going to find the awakened handbook to werewolves anywhere so we have to rely on what others have pieced together."

Tinea accepted the list with a grateful nod and replied, "That's the idea." Then she addressed the rest of the mages gathered in a sort of terse, schoolmarmmy manner. "Everyone who's doing research, except Watcher of course, lets get going. I have a short list here of resources and I'd like to exhaust them all as quickly and as thoroughly as possible."

She gestured for people to follow her, then headed towards the door, murmuring to herself under her breath as she went.

• 3 weeks later...

Remiel sighed and nodded, "Alright, just be careful, okay?"

He gathered Ren up on his way to follow Tinea, the two men talking quietly as they walked. Ren shot Janet a worried look, but didn't break away from his boyfriend to try to stop her. Like Remiel, he knew exactly how effective that would be. Remiel squeezed his hand, "C'mon, you can help me with research." He grinned, trying to lighten the mood, "I can almost promise it won't be completely boring."

Ren snorted and whispered back, "You owe me. Musty tomes are not my thing, Mr. Wizard."

"I'll make it up to you. Once this is over, we'll go out somewhere nice for dinner and go clubbing, fair?" Remiel replied as he slipped his arm around Ren's waist.

"Only if I get to pick the club..." The two continued sparring and flirting as they made their way wherever Tinea was leading them to.

"I'll be careful," Janet promised with the same smile she wore right before she hurled herself off a building with only an elastic cord between her and the ground. She watched Rem and Ren go, an intense, possessive gaze on her face.

When they were out of sight, she turned to Raiden and said, "So what's the plan?"

Archived