Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - The Indigo Network - OOC Table Talk

jameson (ST)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to force the guys in Beta, but would Tomoe think to call the other Indigo she knows, given that he seemed to have some shady connections. Someone who fights in an underground MMA ring is likely to know a doctor or two. wink

Just a suggestion if you guys want to join up. laugh

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
roffle

Dawn, I am so glad you are smarter than me. (^_^)

I might never have figured that out, and in hindsight it's so obvious. DOH!

Thanks!

No problem. I just want to get everyone together, and I have an ST's experience with wrangling PCs into the same area. laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Feedback time. As in I'm looking for some, not looking to give it.

How am I doing? You guys want more NPCs? Less? Want to get everybody in the same pool? Keep things split?

I know we've had some rough bits especially what with my own decline over the summer and especially in the past few weeks as well as with PC drop. What say you?

So far I think it's been going pretty well, given the challenges we've had.

We have a good GM and a good bunch, and those of us who are still on seem pretty dedicated to posting at a reasonable, but not overpowering, rate.

My feel for the game is that it's not really aiming to be a 'superfriends' game, where the PC's all wind up in the same Hall of Justice fighting crime togeher, but rather more like a Heroes type thing...different characters with different perspectives who all take part in a story, but also have stories of their own. They may come into contact with and interact with other characters, even join forces if they so choose, but they also have their own thing going and their own lives to take care of.

To that extent, I think we have a good start on a game with that structure. It might be useful for each PC to have their own thread to represent their solo actions...then the GM can spawn 'plot' threads which various PC's can get involved with, or not.

Of course, in the past, that usually results in everyone wanting to get involved...cuz, really, who wants to be left out? The solution is to generally have a couple of plot threads going at the same time, within the game. So people not currently involved in Plot A, can get into Plot B. People in neither can decide what to get into...or wait for Plot C.

You might also allow a player, or group of players, to spawn their own plot threads, if they want to instigate something. You'd still be the GM, of course. But a player-created plot thread would be, "Tomoe decides to rob a bank," for example. Or "Isaac and Rob open a pet store together." These kinds of side-plots could be safely mixed with involvement in one of the main plots.

Just shotgunning here...

Having everyone have access to Tess' Sanctuary would allow there to be an in-game "hub" for group stories/plots, while still allowing everyone to have private threads or fics. That was the idea I had when I put the Sanctuary together, at least.

My feel for the game is that it's not really aiming to be a 'superfriends' game, where the PC's all wind up in the same Hall of Justice fighting crime togeher, but rather more like a Heroes type thing...different characters with different perspectives who all take part in a story, but also have stories of their own. They may come into contact with and interact with other characters, even join forces if they so choose, but they also have their own thing going and their own lives to take care of.

This was my intent. Yes you have guys like Apex (and even the White Wonder) who choose to dress up and fight crime, I think that this is actually a realistic take on things, people who grew up on that kind of thing and have these powers aren't all going to put on tights but I doubt that none of them would either. Hopefully Apex will come across as real (even while being a somewhat comical parody of Superman and other heroes while in his "hero mode"). Likewise I hope nobody is feeling like they have to be heroic if they really don't want to. If you want to go the villain route just be smart, I'm not going to have the cops bumble around just because you are a PC.
To that extent, I think we have a good start on a game with that structure. It might be useful for each PC to have their own thread to represent their solo actions...then the GM can spawn 'plot' threads which various PC's can get involved with, or not.

I agree and my only clause in regards to that is the rampant timeline issues that pop up. What I would like to do is this: I'll run a very specific, (mostly) pre-planed story that covers a certain event(s) within the world (as in the case with the blackout and the mystery man) and then I'll allow some time for player led stories that I will touch upon as needed and as requested. Basically half of the time it will be like the Prologue where you all can do whatever you like, and the other half it will be a little more GM led as it is currently.
Of course, in the past, that usually results in everyone wanting to get involved...cuz, really, who wants to be left out? The solution is to generally have a couple of plot threads going at the same time, within the game. So people not currently involved in Plot A, can get into Plot B. People in neither can decide what to get into...or wait for Plot C.

Well I can't really blame people for this and likewise I can't stop you folks from doing so (nor would I want to) In the end this is going to as much up to the Players at a Meta level as it is to the PCs at the IC level. If Asa really wants Jordan to go on a mob job with Isaac I cannot/will not stop player or PC but frankly I doubt it would make much sense, at this time anyways.
You might also allow a player, or group of players, to spawn their own plot threads, if they want to instigate something. You'd still be the GM, of course. But a player-created plot thread would be, "Tomoe decides to rob a bank," for example. Or "Isaac and Rob open a pet store together." These kinds of side-plots could be safely mixed with involvement in one of the main plots.

As I mentioned above I intend to flip back to the fully open play style we had during the prologue where you can do what ever you like between the more GM led sections of story. What you do will impact how things go and the only real limit is story logic (i.e. you'd better bet that a string of cat burglaries will result in the cops on your ass). I've never played DR and never really read any of it but what I have heard of it seems to match what you are suggesting and what I would like to do. If I'm wrong then you can blame it on blissful ignorance.
Just shotgunning here...

Shotgunning?
shotgun_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mordred
Having everyone have access to Tess' Sanctuary would allow there to be an in-game "hub" for group stories/plots, while still allowing everyone to have private threads or fics. That was the idea I had when I put the Sanctuary together, at least.

I agree. Of course all of the characters need to know about it and be on friendly terms. I'd not begrudge Tess' right to tell somebody to leave and not come back if the story made sense.

As I said in chat about two weeks ago, Isaac's just hiding and biding his time. He really doesn't want to meet Apex (though is delighted to know that Apex could be given an atomic swirlie if Isaac can find him at the right time) and doesn't want Apex to know he's there in case someone says something wrong and sets him off. I really didn't want to put up a "and Isaac hides some more" post, honestly. I can if you want. smile

As you may know we have a new Dice Roller thanks to Chosen. He wants us to test it so I'm going to run a combat thread. Would you guys prefer I shoehorn it into continuity or to make it simply for

fun and getting to know the system (for those who don't)??

Please sound off which you prefer or if you even want to participate at all.

... and meanwhile I plan to get posts up today. I'd like to bring First Phase to a close soon and allow some freeform gaming alongside the Danger Room thread, I want us to get back to building up character relations and letting the PCs drive the action for a bit while I plan Second Phase.

Issac - in story

Rob - in story

Jordan - no vote/abstain

Tess - in story (I think?)

Melissa - out of story

Tomoe - ??

That's 3 (or maybe 4) votes for an in story battle thread with one abstain and one absent.

I've more or less done what I need with Apex in Alpha and am wrapping up Beta as quickly as I am able. I'll try to get the combat thread setup later this week/weekend if I have time, otherwise next week. The story will take place a few weeks after the First Phase events. The time period between will be open for personal/interpersonal threads and I'll be around to help those along at your request.

Does this work for everybody? Please yea or nay.

Archived