Mutants & Masterminds: StarGate Freedom - [Fic]Bad News from the Underworld

Marty

With a yawn Marty tossed his pack on to the bunk that had been assigned to him. Several hours of debriefing after he had rejoined the resistance. It had not taken long to get in to a room with the general after he told them he had information on weapon tech. Luckily, the way technological knowledge worked among the Goa'uld had made it easy for Marty to give information, without looking like what the humans called an expert. To them you had to know every reason behind a device. The Goa'uld considered knowing the science behind the mechanical was a crime punishable by death.

He was ready to lay down and get the first good sleep in three days. Still there was one last thing he had to do. He walked out of the room, realizing he was half dragging him self along. For the first time in several years he felt like he could take actions and have conversations without having to fear the Goa'uld would find out. It wasn't quite safe, but he did feel like he could relax for the first time in awhile. Asking around he found Yseult in a lab working. He gave a soft clap to announce him self and stepped in.

"Well, I finally made it back. You know you people could be famous in the whole galaxy for figuring out different ways to ask the same question." Leaning against the door frame he could not quite look her in the eye yet.

At the soft clap, Yseult looked up from the monitor, where she was correlating the observations of others with her own findings. The petite woman quirked an eyebrow at Marty, still amused by some of his occasional odd mannerisms. Most people would have knocked on the door or door-frame, or audibly cleared their throat to make their presence known.

"And yet, surprisingly often, we are getting different answers." Though Yseult tried to sound blasé, from his downcast gaze, Marty could see her thumb worrying at her wedding band around her ring finger. Yseult's soft, in-drawn breath was surprisingly loud after a long pause. "François, Loric, you were able to find them, yes? You are knowing where they are being?"

She is rather straight to the matter.

Marty looked at her and gave a reassuring smile. "I was right about your son. He is with Ra, which believe it or not is a good thing for now. Ra likes to surround him self with innocence, he does not let harm come to them or let them take part in anything that would taint that. For now he will be well fed and protected from everything except a few things that will give him nightmares later on. When we finally get to going after Ra we will get him off the ship, I swear it."

Marty looked past her at the computer. Perhaps he should pick up a bit of biology while he was here. "Listen, I want you to hear this from me before anyone else. Anyone who has been enslaved by the Goa'uld will tell you that once someone becomes a host it is over. They say nothing of the host survives. That is a utter lie. I know of a race out there that can extract Goa'uld but no matter what happens you must never attempt this here. The technology you have available to you just isn't advanced enough. The Goa'uld would simply kill the host before you could get it out."

Damn it Tirion, just tell her.

Marty sighed and shook his head slightly. "Your husband is the new host to the Goa'uld Hades. There are worst Goa'uld who could have taken him host, but I am not sure there are any on this planet."

"Hades."

Yseult's high, cool soprano, slurred softly with her accent, was hard yet toneless with the effort of maintaining her composure, though Marty saw her fair skin pale almost to translucency. Her small, elegant hands gripped her pants in a white knuckled grip, full lips tightening into a severe line.

The small scientist took and held a shaky breath, her eyes squeezing shut. Though she held the pose for just a moment, if a long one, Marty had the distinct impression that the moment lasted ten times as long for Yseult.

In her mind, the memories sharp with crystal clarity, she saw her husband smiling at a bad joke, the joy as Monique was born, the commiseration when her father died, a hundred memories, good and bad, but all touching. Juxtaposed with them however, was the horrid image of one of the vile snake-things slithering from stomach of the Jaffa soldier, digging its way into the neck of that poor soldier, and the way if wriggled, tripartite mandibles splayed as she carved it free.

When she opened her eyes, her dark gaze was bright with an icy resolve and unshed tears. "This parasite who pretends to be a god, it is making a very, very large mistake, infesting my husband." Her voice was so soft, Marty had to lean forward and strain to hear it, but the iron conviction was unmistakable. The iron grew harder still when she added, "And do not be telling me what I can do, monsieur. Overcoming biology, from the molecular level, it is what I do. For all their vaunted claims, these goa'uld, they are just parasites, however complicated. I will learn how they work, and deal with them."

There was note of finality in Yseult's voice, but inside, she was asking herself, Will I deal with it in time to save my husband? thinking about her father, where she had failed even as she had triumphed.

"If you would, Marty, could you step outside for a moment, s'il vous plait - please? I am needing some time for myself, yes? Then I would like to speak to Monique, to try to explain..." Yseult's cold soprano had grown brittle, obviously about to break-down and just as obviously, not wanting to do so in front of everyone.

Marty did not leave. In fact he walked over and looked her right in the eyes. "Listen Yseult, I don't care how angry you are. I don't care how advanced you people think you are. Do not ever try to remove a Goa'uld from its host. It is just not something you are ready to do and won't be for some time. It is time you all wake up and realize there are people out there who have been doing all of this longer than you. If you try you will only end up killing your husband and you don't want to live with that when there are people out there who can already do it.

Now I know this is hard for you but accept that every once and awhile, yes, I am going to tell you what you can't do. Remember I am here to help. Now I swear if it is within my power I will see to it the snake that is in your husbands head is removed. In the mean time mourn him, miss him, but do not plan to do it your self."

With that he swept out of the room. These people were so convinced. They seemed to believe it would all be so easy. Just get mad, and get even. With that he head back to the room. Crawling in to the bed, the last thing he did before falling asleep was started working on an exit plan. He was starting to have concerns about this planet.

Archived