Mutants & Masterminds: StarGate Freedom - Chapter 1b: Hunting Darkness

z-Servant of Ra

November 3, 2009

Curtis had been safely integrated into the Resistance, or at least Jono hoped he had been. He hadn’t heard from his supposed slave but Curtis needed time to integrate first. He wasn’t sure he could trust ‘Marty’, but so far, things were going well. And he needed to trust him, to some degree.

His computer beeped at him and Jono strolled over, feeling his heartbeat pick up. A solid signal had been found and confirmed by the computer. It was in North Carolina, of all places, not far from Asheville. Jono checked twice, just to be sure, but there was no denying it – there was a strong goa’uld signal coming from outside the town.

This was what he’d been looking for; one of the three signals he’d been seeking. Now that he had it, it was time to move on it.

Jono grinned from ear to ear. Bout time! He turned to Charlie and Kor.

"Charlie, it's time to act. Run find Persephone and report in that it is time. Be very careful not to act excited or as if your errand is in any way important. If she is with anyone try to give her the message alone, if not then simply wait on her pleasure. She should know what you presence signals and come when she is able."

When Charlie left he turned to Kor, "Well my friend, it looks like we are finally going to get to do something. I've found something and we are going to go investigate. It will likely involve combat."

"What did Vez-tig eat? Kor not know what vez-tig is." Kor looked at the display but it only showed the same blue and green disc with a blinking dot on it. The display was a mystery to Kor, he had no idea what he was looking at or how to read the symbols that moved around it like insects crawling on a wall. Looking back at Jono he asked, "Com-bat? Kor squish Jaffas? We go out side pie-re-mid? Escape? Be free?"

"We can't escape right now even though we are going outside the pyramid. We need to go and maybe fight someone. I don't know who we will find when we get there, but they will be enemies most likely. When we are done we will come back here and pretend just like we are now."

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie came into Persephone's room after a terse knock. "Hephaestus has found something for you," he said softly, his voice tense. Things had been rough between them since the death of Shaytar's previous host. Charlie had gotten to know the girl and had been fond and even protective of her. Like a true soldier, he put aside his feelings and struggled to do his duty. He was more aloof than before, however. It made Shaytar sad - she remembered when she had Charlie's trust as well as his service and she regretted that loss. It made things easier.

"We should probably hurry - he might not wait for us." Charlie waited for her to move.

She nodded him and stood up, the two minds sharing one body keeping private council for each other for once. Bethany had tried to reach out to Charlie, but he'd rebuffed her; she knew it wasn't personal, that his own pain was still too fresh, but it had still hurt. She needed a friend now, and her relationship with Shaytar was too complicated to count yet.

"Thank you, Charlie," she said softly as she moved past him. By the time they had exited the room her expression haughty disdain and cool arrogance was perfectly in place. They reached the door to Haphaestus' lab in silence; she ran her hand over the sensor that would announce her presence and stepped through once the door was opened. She wasted no time in idle preamble, "You have found one of them?"

Jono shrugged. "I've found a distinct power source that didn't come from the invasion. What we will find there I do not know. You are looking at our resources unless you have something you can contribute." He gestured indicating Kor and Charlie.

"I would feel much more comfortable if we had more firepower. I think we can acquire weapons for Kor and Charlie at least long enough to complete our mission, but not knowing what we face when we arrive I am not thrilled with our chances. If it is Set or Hathor or one of the others who was left behind thousands of years ago, they will no doubt have followers ready to throw their lives away to protect their master."

"Then we'll take care of the followers," Charlie said, and in his voice they heard both the certainty of a soldier and the tone of a man who was looking to vent some frustration. "Just get me a weapon I can use and between the Big Guy and me, it won't be a problem."

He looked at Jono and 'Persephone'. "What can we expect from the snake itself as far as offensive capability?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Energy weapons perhaps, like those here. Earth weapons are just as likely, maybe more so since he or she would want to hide themselves. If it is Hathor she is rumored to be able to seduce a man with a kiss such that his loyalty would be completely hers. I'd suggest not getting close to any female we meet. If it is Seth? Booby traps perhaps? No matter who it is, you'll likely find followers willing to give their lives to protect their god."

"With any of them, expect treachery and traps.” She tapped her lips as she thought, a habit of Bethany’s when faced with a complicated and potentially dangerous situation. “Best to assume that they know that we’re here. It’s more likely not to be Hathor; she has nothing to fear from revealing herself to Ra. The others were left here as punishment so they will most likely resist being captured and brought here. If they know that Ra has taken the planet and have not come forward with anything worth offering for amnesty from him, then most likely they are fortifying themselves in whatever little hole that they’ve dug for themselves. We should expect that they will resist any intrusion of strangers, meaning that a quiet entrance probably isn’t possible.”

She thought quietly for another few moments and then looked up at Jono. “In all honesty we should probably simply threaten to destroy the entire area from the ship and then watch for movement. They will most likely send out their follows as a distraction to attack the ship and then attempt to flee. If we put Kor and Charlie down outside the ship with communicators and direct them towards whatever small fleeing group we detect, we will probably capture them.” She shrugged and added deferentially, “Unless you can think of a more efficient plan, Lord Hephaestus.”

"Excellent suggestions. Any chance of getting a ship with weapons long enough to make the capture? I had thought we'd take a cargo ship in order to avoid the scrutiny of Cronus asking questions about what we are doing, but cargo ships aren't very threatening. Can you get the use of an Al'kesh from Hades? I might be able to get one through Aphrodite's connection to Mars, but we'd have to include her in our plans, and that is something I'd rather not do."

She nodded, "I've been able to arrange the use of an Al'kesh for a brief tour of our reconquered lands. We have no Jaffa to accompany us, but in this I think that is more secure as they would not be loyal to us."

"I can be ready to leave within the hour," she continued, glancing around room. "Do you require more time than that?"

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm ready to go now." He picked up a datapad with the scan information on it and gestured for Bethany to lead the way.

Looking to Kor and Charlie, "Let's go ruin someones day." Without knowing it he was compulsively clenching and unclenching the hand wearing the Hara'kesh.

The group went to the bay where their Al'kesh waited. However, there was an unpleasant surprise in addition to the ship they'd been promised. Charon waited for them, with Narinder Kapoor at his side. "Hello, Persephone," he said cheerfully. "I realized that I was lax in something. I forgot to tell you the ship comes with my slave, Narinder. Hephaestus, you're looking good. How's the leg?"

As the 'god of the forge' glared at him, Charon continued. "Narinder is coming with you. Turns out he's fluent in a number of languages so no doubt he'll be useful. He's also around to represent my interests onboard. I would have send my other slave, but she's a little... tied up at the moment." Narinder's jaw clenched at the implication. Ignoring him, the gou'ald frowned. "Are you taking no Jaffa? Don't you think that's a bit... foolish? I doubt Hades would forget if something were to happen to you on the ship I arranged for you. Let me arrange for a couple of Jaffa for you."

Jono bit back a snarl of annoyance. "Jaffa are unnecessary. Our slaves will accomplish the task better. Not every problem is solved by applying more force, you have to have skill in how you place the hammer." He looked at Narinder appraisingly. The slave obviously had no love for his master and was being coerced into cooperating, that could be very valuable.

"Your slave will be acceptable, he will blend in nicely. We will endeavor to return him in one piece, but if you insist on his presence do not be upset with me if he gets broken. Persephone on the other hand will be as safe as possible."

He waited for a rejoinder from Charon but he really didn't care what the man said as long as he got out of their way. This was the time to go before their quarry went to ground, if it wasn't already too late.

Once aboard he did a quick scan of Narinder to make sure there were no bugs of any kind then scanned the ship for bugs.

Click to reveal..

If he finds any and I expect he will, he'll attempt to disable them. Whether he succeeds or not he will take the others to a room in the ship that is not bugged assuming there is one, and he'll set up an interference if he can to allow them to speak freely. If he succeeds or believes he has he will give the following speech, if not he'll wait till they arrive and get off the ship.

He hadn't been told much - he never was. Only that he was being sent with the ship, that he was to do as he was told, and that he was supposed to listen, watch, and report back afterwards. So when he saw three men and a woman walking up to the ship - Bethany?! - he was absolutely confused. The group saw a flicker of recognition cross his face, followed quickly by a mixture of worry and relief. But he quickly concealed it, doing his best to appear as neutral as possible, save the slight clench of his jaw at his "master's" implication.

Still, as the other man, the older-looking one standing next to Bethany spoke, he couldn't help but seek out her gaze once or twice, trying to meet it, to judge her condition and see what her response was to seeing him here.

Persephone's look at Hephaestus once the "goa'uld's" back was turned was venemous, to be generous. Narindar caught the the strange golden-glow flash of her eyes, something he'd only seen these self-proclaimed 'gods' do.

This is a point to be made quickly, before he does something foolish.

I understand, but later....?

Perhaps, but there is more than the loss of your friendship that would depend on his ability to keep our secret. I know it hurts, but-

I understand, Shayltar, and he would too. More than I, even.

She returned to Charon with a simperingly sweet smile, "Please do forgive Lord Hephaestus' temper, my dear Charon. You know how little he's let off his leash and out amongst proper gods. The offer of your slave in assistance to us is appreciated in the spirit he is lent to us, I assure you. I will look after him personally while he is with us." The look she favored Narindar was disturbingly predatory, but her attention quickly returned to her current benefactor. "Our little outing shouldn't take terribly long, and it's not as if we'll be going anywhere dangerous. I do so bore of the constant clink and 'kree!' of the Jaffa all the time." She laughed lightly, as if discussing the antics of annoying kittens instead of the elite fighting force of the gods of the galaxy.

Charon chuckled with her. "They are quite loud, aren't they? I have been considering that and I think that my own small force of Jaffa might see the need for some changes soon. I find that the 'military-industrial complex' on this world has some interesting things to offer a man open to new ideas. Or a woman."

He straightened and smiled. "Well, I do hope you're safe, Persephone, dear. I don't want to explain to Hades why his dear wife is dead or injured, and try to get Narinder back safely. I have many plans for him." He shot a smile back at the Indian man. "Have fun on your hunting trip."

At the sight of the golden glint of her pupils, Narinder's own gaze widened slightly in a brief moment of shock. He turned his head away then, unable for the moment to bear looking at the body of his dearest friend, knowing she'd been possessed somehow by these creatures.

You abandoned her. You abandoned her to save your own neck, she was willing to risk death, and now what's happened to her is so much worse. How could you, you sorry, cowardly fool?!

He could feel the vileness of Charon's smile, and grimaced with his usual reluctance. The man's face was so deceiving. He looked like a Professor at a college, or like someone you'd play a game of chess against. He found himself wondering if this was how it worked - if somehow they took people over, like it appeared something had done to Bethany - and what kind of person the body next to him had been before he became a sadistic bastard. He kept his gaze down as he was led by this "Hephaestus", and by Bethany/Persephone, onto the ship. Two more named after ancient gods, it made Narinder wonder how they had come by the names, and what correlation they had to any of Earth's ancient myths.

After scanning Narinder and the ship and finding a room he was reasonably confident was unbugged he led the slave inside and spoke not caring if the others overheard. In fact, he deliberately spoke in front of Persephone. She would either think he was being devious which would further his reputation among a fellow Gou'ald, or if she did have sympathy for the people of this planet it might make an ally of her.

"Narinder, I value your life. I see that Charon has coerced you into serving him through some threat to someone you care about. I give you my word that what we are about to attempt will not bring harm to the people of Earth, if anything it will eliminate a threat. A Goa'uld, and very cunning and deceptive one, has been hiding among the people for thousands of years, he is a fugitive from Ra's justice, but that does not make him a friend to the people of Earth. He has likely caused many wars and other tragedies on this planet during his hiding and probably stunted Earths development to prevent it's people from advancing enough to recognize his technology for what it was. We are going to capture him and turn him over to Ra. That eliminates a threat to the planet and gains us favor with Ra and causes Cronus to lose face. Cronus is Earth's new overlord and he will reduce the planet to the stone age. I want to avoid that. Will you help us willingly? If you will, I will try to help you free whoever Charon has threaten to harm force your cooperation."

Narinder focused on the man in front of him, attempting to do his best to ignore Bethany/Persephone. Jono could tell he was angry, and he seemed somewhat less concerned about hiding it now that they weren't around Charon.

"What do I look like to you, a fool? I have no way of knowing whether you say the words you mean, or if you are merely a test of my 'loyalty'." He practically spat the word, as if merely saying it were a thing of filth. "You are one of them, and therefore not deserving of my trust. You and your kind can rot, for all I care. What good is the word of someone who would invade an entire planet, without warning, without care of the consequence? We have different governments, do you think whatever was done that has angered you - if indeed it was anything at all - was done by all the people or nations of Earth? I highly doubt it. Perhaps one nation made a foolish mistake, or a wrong choice. Perhaps it was even this one, we are good at being foolish sometimes. But that doesn't mean the people of this planet - those who till these last few hellish days weren't even aware of your existence - deserve this attack."

He managed to resist a brief glance at Bethany/Persephone again, merely glancing down instead. But his jaw hardened slightly before he turned back to Jono, a flicker of pain in his eyes.

"I know a bully when I see one, an intimidator - even if they come in the disguise of those that used to live amongst us. Tell me why I should believe a word you say.. and even then, I will still doubt you. Why should I put an innocent woman's life on the line because you ask 'Will you join us willingly?'? If you are indeed the 'noble enemy' you claim to be, you will help her despite what I say - her only crime was speaking a language similar to that of your people. If you will only do so because of my response.. well, then, you are merely attempting to use me, the same as 'Cronos' does.. and probably lying anyway. And he has already handed me over to you for that purpose anyway, now hasn't he?"

Bethany willingly gave control of their body to Shayltar, knowing that all she wanted to do right now was throw her arms around her best friend and thank him for being so brave. An idiot, at the moment, but always brave.

They're both being morons, and if it wouldn't blow my own cover I'd beat Jono for being stupid and careless right now. He doesn't know who we are and any Goa'uld with a crumb of power wouldn't stoop to trying to impress or coddle a newly conquered slave.

Deep breaths, Shayltar, deep breaths. Remember, Persephone doesn't have a crumb of power according to most Goa'uld. We can recover this. At least Narinder isn't gullable; he's practical. We just have to state things the right way.

Persephone slid around behind the slave, running a hand over his hip and smiling at him like the snake in the garden. "Ah, now, Hapheastus, their people are conquered, not stupid." She flicked a flirtatious grin to the other god before continuing to inspect Chronus' new acquisition with her fingertips. "You're quite right, slave. There's no romantic adventure waiting to save this woman that Lord Charon owns. She is his, even as you are. Even as all of Earth is Lord Ra's and given to the care of the great Chronos. The quicker you come to accept your proper place as a servant of the gods, the happier you will be with your life." Her hand slid over his side, her fingers tracing a line over the botton-down shirt he was wearing. "And the fewer scars you will bear."

She pulled away, her expression haughty, "You will help us, regardless of whatever kindness or cruelty we deign to visit upon you. Your people have forgotten their place in the universe; we will remind them."

She glanced back to her companion 'god', her lips set in a petulant pout, "I grow wearing of playing with the human, Hephaestus. We have more important work to be about, and a limited amount of time to accomplish it. We should be on our way."

At every touch of her fingertips, she felt Narinder flinch and stiffen, for her actions only cemented in his mind that this was no longer his dearest friend, and the knowledge that he had failed her, left her to such a fate - she knew how heavily it must weigh on his mind. However, as her touch trailed gently across his scar - the one he'd gotten as a younger man who enjoyed the occasional game of cricket - he froze for a moment, confusion briefly flickering across his face.

It can't still be Bethany, can it? Could she be faking it?

He remembered briefly that gold glow in her eyes as she spoke to Hephaustus, and his jaw set again angrily.

No.. she's one of them. Bethany would never act this way. Even if she were playing a part, surely not. It must be something they can do.. maybe it stole her memories along with her body.

The thought made him even angrier, and he ignored her dismissal of him completely. Before Jono even had a chance to open his mouth, Bethany/Shayltar heard Narinder speak out. His voice was firm and full of anger, but she knew him well enough to recognize the hurt behind it, and when she turned to look at him again, she could see the agony of her loss that he was trying so hard to conceal reflected clearly in his eyes.

"You are right about all things but one, Persephone. As long as I am forced to serve vile creatures who like to pretend at godliness.. I will never know happiness."

She looked him over for a long moment, then her lips curved into what would have been a sweet smile, if the slight tilt at the corners hadn't revealed it to be more of a smirk.

"That is acceptable."

Jono had a very real and strong desire to lift his hand and blast the Goa'uld. If only he had a contact within the To'kra to help save the poor woman from his home planet enslaved to the snake inside her in a way far worse than Narinder was.

Grimacing he frowned at Persephone, "I've stayed out of politics until now because I despise them. In the forge I've used my slaves as I see fit for eons. There is a time and place for the stick, but you can get better slaves if you wield that stick with a careful hand. You may consider that weakness, I see it as skillful use of a tool."

To Narinder, "I don't expect you to trust me, I wouldn't if our situations were reversed. If you are as intelligent as Persephone says then you will see the obvious ploy in my offer, but being intelligent you will realize that serving one such as me is the better option."

He wanted to say more, to convince this man from his own world who had such passion against the slave masters that he was a freed slave himself. It couldn't be, not yet. Perhaps Charlie and Kor could convince the man. Hopefully his two co-conspirators saw Persephone's true colors now at least and wouldn't trust her with anything.

It was such a shame too. He'd hoped Persephone would prove to be better than this, he'd shown 'weakness' in front of her to see what was in her heart and sure enough the snake had struck.

Looking back to Persephone, "You are correct oh goddess of the seasons. Let us be about our business and leave the slaves to explain to Narinder the way of things."

Looking to Charlie, "Make sure he understands his place. I've offered him a choice, something I did not need to do, but I will not tolerate insolence in future." He hoped Charlie would get the hint but be careful.

Charlie blinked a moment, frowning. Finally, the slave sighed and turned to Narinder. "Hephaestus is pretty cool for a goa'uld. He's not going to beat you, but you have to play the game. You have to pretend like he's in charge when others are around. He's not a bad guy." Charlie paused and added softly, "Narinder, right? Narinder, be careful. Don't trust any of them. Hephaestus might be okay, but he's still got his own game and agenda. They all do. Just remember that. We're their pawns, and sooner or later, they'll need to capture that knight, and you'll be sent into that final diagonal slide." He stared at Narinder. "Understand?"

Narinder nodded, his expression grim. Charlie could see that he hadn't said anything surprising to Narinder - his life was politics, and that's all these Goa'uld were obviously up to. They thought they were so much better than humans, that these people were their 'slaves', but they played at the same games on an apparently intergalactic level.. which made them more technologically advanced, but obviously not as their 'slaves' on a social level. They still seemed to play at some sort of feudalism, from what Narinder could tell.

But for now, Charlie was right. He had to bide his time. The only way he might dream of escaping the game is by keeping his mouth shut and playing along for now. He ran a hand through his curly black hair with a sigh, and glanced at the direction Beth- Persephone! and Hephaestus had disappeared in.

"So, do you know what they're planning to do, or any details about this other goa'uld that we're hunting? His name, where he's hiding, why he's a fugitive? Or will I need to discuss such things with 'the masters'?"

"I haven't been told much about our mission," Charlie confessed. "I haven't..." He fell silent before adding, "Persephone hasn't told me much."

"Does she?" Narinder asked.

"She did. Before... well, the aliens, they can use our bodies... it's awkward," Charlie sighed. "I wish I could tell you more. Just be careful about whom you trust."

Narinder studied him for a moment, and Charlie could tell that something he'd said worried Narinder somehow. But he nodded, placing a hand on Charlie's shoulder and squeezing lightly. In his mind, Narinder was debating what to tell this man, and what not to. After all, he had been warned - '...be careful about whom you trust'. That included this man. But it seemed he knew something about the aliens, had more details than Narinder did somehow. He had to find out what he could, and that meant divulging a little.. if not the depth of his relationship with Bethany.

"Yes.. I know. She - Persephone - I know her. Or.. I mean.. I knew her. Who she was before. I need to know what they can do. It will be easier to be careful if I know what to expect from them. Cronus has given me very little to go on, has done very little in my presence. Please, can you tell me what they can do, what you've seen? The more I know.. the better prepared I am."

There was a sense of urgency in the Indian man's voice, a plea that was hard to ignore. The way Persephone had touched him.. he had to know how she knew. The more he knew, the better.

Click to reveal..
Roll to get Charlie talking: 1d20+5+17 → [2,5,17] = (24)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2582405/

Charlie sighed. This dark eyes seemed both weary and wary, as if he didn't trust Narinder either. "They have the memories," Charlie said softly. "That'll make it easier and harder. She'll know what to do or say to make you do what she wants. They'll seem human, sometimes, but don't forget that... they have their goals, and those come first. They come first over the lives of others. The good ones will walk all over you to get there, and the bad ones... they'll stab their own mothers."

He pointed a thumb at Kor. "They've completely enslaved his people, used to use them for hosts before they found Earth," he said. "We're going to end up like the Unas, unless we make them stop." He rubbed his face and muttered, "This is war, and we have to make them stop."

Narinder nodded, as if something Charlie said had confirmed some sort of suspicion. He saw the handsome man's face become more grim, if it were possible.

"Thank you, Charlie. I appreciate you sharing that information. Now, if you'll excuse me.. it's time to go play the game, I suppose."

With that, he turned and made his way back in the direction Jono and Persephone had disappeared in, looking for the two goa'uld so that he could try to figure out more details about this 'fugitive' and their mission.

• 2 weeks later...

'Persephone' and 'Hephaestus' had moved to the cockpit. That was where Narinder found them, with the fake godling easing himself into the chair. He put his fingertips on the control orb and the ship's hum changed. As Hephaestus focused on getting the ship out of the hanger, Narinder stepped up next to Persephone, studying her out of the corner of his eye. He didn't see any sign of the gentle friend he'd left behind.

The ship cleared the hanger and hovered for a moment, gathering its bearings. Then Jono turned it west, heading away from Mount Olympus and toward North America. "This should take a few minutes," he told them, swiveling the chair around. "Did Charlie tell you what you needed to know?" There seemed to be another question under that question. Narinder was coming to understand that these goa'uld didn't do anything without adding a layer or two to it.

• 1 month later...

"I suppose he did."

The handsome Indian man's voice remained cool and aloof, not really giving Jono any true indication as to what he had been told, nor whether it had swayed his opinion in any way for or against him. He did his best to avoid focusing on Persephone though, directing his questions to the older "snake", and doing his best to sound disinterested.

"So where are we going? And exactly what is the situation again, including what you expect me to be able to do to assist you?"

• 3 weeks later...

"We are going to try and find and capture a Goa'uld, an ancient enemy of Ra. While we are there we're going to grab anything of value and if we succeed we'll take him to Ra and present him as a gift. That rids Earth of a leech who has been bleeding it for thousands of years. And it puts us in favor with the Supreme System Lord, something that would also benefit Earth. I don't expect your loyalty nor your happiness about it, you are a slave and one not bred to that condition, but I do expect your obedience and your willing assistance. What Persephone and I do will benefit your world and perhaps prevent it from being reduced back to the stone age." He turned then to look at the Indian man. The new slave wasn't doing a very good job of hiding his hate or disgust, or perhaps he wasn't trying at all. Jono didn't blame him, he just wished there was someway to make the man understand without completely revealing himself before the snake present. As it was he'd already taken some big chances.

"Specifically, you will be given a Zat-nik-atel, a ray gun, that renders foes unconscious, but only fire it once at a target, a second shot could do serious damage and would make our gift to Ra useless. We're trusting you with it because it is in your and your world's best interest to see us succeed. Turn on us and thousands of your people will be killed in retaliation. Understand?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jono pulled a zat off of his waist where it was holstered. Normally he preferred using his kara'kesh but to use it on minions would tire him out and he would need all his strength to see to Seth, assuming that was who they would find.

The Zat was a snake looking device that articulated into an open firing position with a metallic "shink!" and a hum of powering up. He pointed to a chair and fired sending out a rope of energies that ground themselves in the metal of the chair doing no damage. "First shot stuns, second shot kills. It hits the target with energy that overpowers the nervous system and shuts them down for a bit. A second shot with in a day or so will do enough damage to the nervous system to kill. A single shot will do no permanent damage so don't worry about hurting any of the people who we might face."

Narinder's expression relaxed somewhat as the "alien" across from him explained the weapon's function, and nodded slightly, relieved that he wouldn't be harming anyone with it. He was still a little tense as the zat was handed off to him, but he examined it for a few moments to make sure he was holding it the right way. Then he pointed it at the metal chair and fired again, winching at the high-pitched whine and watching the energy coil twist around and disappear into the metal. Then he carefully closed it and glanced back at Hephaestus.

"Alright. I assume we'll be there soon, then?"

He lowered himself into the seat behind Bethany, which allowed him to continue speaking with Jono, as well as to obscure his vision of the occupied body of his dearest friend. It was too hard to keep looking at her, to see her out of the corner of his vision and want to talk to her.. then have to remember that it wasn't really her anymore. The sooner this was over, the better.

As if the devil himself was directing this horror show, Persephone turned in her seat to regard the Indian slave. Her grin turned wicked as she glanced down at the zatnekatel. "Well, you seem handy enough with that. Perhaps there something interesting about you after all."

She laughed lightly, a laugh he had known for years. "And yes, we're almost done with this boring travel. Now the real fun begins. I hope you boys are ready."

Her expression was coquettish, but that deep alien something still lingered in her eyes.

Jono couldn't help but shiver a little, though he did his best to conceal it from the snake. "Yes, we are on approach now. We should be on the ground in a matter of minutes. Keep in mind the ship is cloaked so once you exit you won't be able to find the entrance again unless you are careful to pay attention to where the door is."

Holding a zat in his off hand the former host felt a strong urge to fire a shot at Persephone. If only I knew how to contact the Tok'ra.... He was staring at the instrument panel in front of him because he wasn't sure if he could keep the feelings out of his eyes looking at her.

He motioned for the others to get ready as the ship settled into it's landing spot, a large open field that might have been part of an estate's garden, or might have once been a farmer's field before this place had taken it's current form. Everyone could see out of the window the buildings straight ahead that were believed to hide their target.

"Let's go." He looked at Charlie and Narinder, "Just don't forget what I said. With us your world stands a chance to remain somewhat as it is now, if we fail it will surely be 'bombed back to the stone age' as the saying goes."

He met Bethany's Persephone's gaze briefly, long enough for her to see the hatred and pain flicker in his gaze. Then he turned away without speaking a word, back towards the windows that showed their approaching destination.

It was only when 'Hephaestus' started speaking again that Narinder turned his attention back towards the snakes, focusing on the older-looking man and ignoring Persephone as much as possible. As Jono spoke, Narinder's expression flickered briefly in annoyance, and his hand tightened on the zat, though his voice remained neutral.

"Let me see if I understand properly. Work with you and your allies, and the relative technological advancements and quality of living experienced by the majority of people living in first-world countries on this planet will not decline. The only thing we lose is our free will. Right. I believe I understood that the first time you mentioned it. We're ready, correct?"

And with that he stood up and walked out of the cockpit, back towards the exit of the ship.

Archived