SpiderMan2

Speed

The wife and I just saw the midnight showing, and without sounding too fanboyish...WOW. Without a doubt the best superhero movie ever made. Real focus on Peter's life, but with all the Spiderman action you could want. The ending is surprise after surprise after surprise. Absolutely wonderful, and full of fun moments for the true comic devotee. Run...do not walk.

I guess this contains mild spoilers, so read at your own peril.

I liked the flick, but think it's a far from the perfect movie that critics are claiming it to be. When the movie is on (the elevated train) it's great, but I think it could have been tightened a good deal as I felt it dragged in certain areas (the scenes with the neighbor Ursula).

In most modern movies the villian gets an almost equal screen time, but that definately isn't the case in SM2. As Speed said, this is a definately a Peter Parker film, and I'd go so far as to say that it's a little too much. There's only so many times you need to kick a man in the junk to prove your point.

And I agree that the end has some surprises, but I'm not sure how well I like them. I am at least glad that they'll have to do something different in the next movie. Actually a lot of this movie seemed to set up the 3rd, which means I'll have to wait and see how those things pay off before I can judge them properly. Also, the resolution with Doc Ock didn't do much for me.

I think it's an improvement over the 1st and is a really good comic movie, it's just not a great movie.

Spoilers ahead, be warned....

It was a lot of fun but some things just annoyed me. I don't buy the whole loss of power thing. I mean really....Lack of confidence and desire to be spiderman makes him lose his powers? Lame. How many times did he reveal his identity? He did an awful lot of running around without his mask on. oh well..

But all in all, a very fun movie to watch. I don't really look forward to another Green Goblin movie though. And please let them not bring Man-wolf into any future films.

Let me be the first to say....

SINISTER SIX, BABY!!!

Man-Wolf

Lizard

Doc Ock (He ain't done, by a long shot)

Others?

Under the mastermind: Hobgoblin!!

I'd like to see:

Mysterio

Scorpion

Kraven

***Edit: Yeah, the loss of powers thing was kinda lame, but oh well...and the mask thing was set up right at the beginning of 1...why in the world did he have his mask off to get paid for the wrestling?..boggled my mind, but it's consistant...***

I heard they were using Lizard for the third one. But I got to say, after reading the recent Ultimate interpretation of another character. There's only one guy I want to see...

VENOM!VENOM!VENOM!VENOM!VENOM!

Who else has such cool quotes. "Brains, yum!"

Spoilers.

You wanna good Venom? Vin Diesel. Just imagine his voice screaming "I will eat YOUR BRAINS!!!!"

As for the psychosomatic loss of powers, I buy it. Psychosomatic illness is very real.

I thought it was a great fucking film.

The constant identity expose also didn't bother me. I actually find the idea of being able to keep and identity secret pretty fucking silly. As for the people on the train? Big deal. New Yorks got what? 900 million people? Like they could ID him?

Yeah, I'm just being nitpicky. I did really like it, I think I was just surprised (spoiler>>>

that MJ learned his identity so soon. Seems unlikely now that we'll see Black Cat in a future movie, and that makes me sad. But you never know. I heard they were planning on 6 movies, anyone else hear that?

Blck cat is way better than cat woman...Even more so than this one...Sorry but Storm and the cat woman don't have the same skin colour.Yea, i am being raciest....

Any ways,aside from the uncanonical parts the movie was awesome.The lines in the train scene were good.

In the end the part I cared the least about was the SG effects.

Yeah unless start filming them back to back.

Then who knows. I wouldnt mind seeing a comic book character age though. It would be a refreshing take to see Mary Jane soccer mom with a bunch of spiderlings. While Peter is dealing with the bad guy of the year and mid-life crisis.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
I was thinking more of how the Star Trek cast aged, but with less grace.
Hmmm...The thought of Tobey with a beer belly, as he tries to swing from rooftop to rooftop as Spider-Man.

But to be fair, The Star Trek cast weren't exactly spring chickens when they started doing the movies. Spider-Man flicks can (and will be) shot closer together.

My biggest complaint is that the movie felt rushed. Crammed is more like it. too much happened too fast. Still, there were a lot of cool moments in the movie. Though I am curious as to why Raimi thought it was too cheesy for a kid to be smart enough to create his own web shooters, when he was second guessing a brilliant physicist.

The movie was still REALLY good in terms of superhero movies. I do have complaints, and more than a couple, but not enough to actually stop me from enjoying the movie. No, it's not the masterpiece the critics made it out to be, but who listens to critics? Half of them are bribed, the other half are spineless.

Quote:
Kane Knight: I am curious as to why Raimi thought it was too cheesy for a kid to be smart enough to create his own web shooters, when he was second guessing a brilliant physicist.
Resources.

If Pete could make that webing in a test tube, why hasn't he sold it? And why hasn't he made other things for that matter?

If webbing is unecomical and/or hard to make, where does poor Pete get the money to make it?

Spider silk glands is (and has always been IMHO) a better explaination for what he does than "chemistry".

I didn't look at it that way. He was in despair, yes, because his work was fucked. In his despair he was just flailing for reasons. Miscalculated gives hope for correct calculation. Better to leap to that than "this will never, can never work and I've been wasting my life."

Um, I'd say it was pretty obvious that he miscalculated, and if he wasn't so fucked up by the tentacles then he would immediately have gotten that point. Once you start sucking up NY, you can pretty much conclude your calculations are a bit...off.

This is evidenced by the fact that Peter made him realize it only after shorting out the tentacles for a moment. See, didn't take him long once those weird things weren't controlling him.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Quote:
Kane Knight: I am curious as to why Raimi thought it was too cheesy for a kid to be smart enough to create his own web shooters, when he was second guessing a brilliant physicist.
Resources.

If Pete could make that webing in a test tube, why hasn't he sold it? And why hasn't he made other things for that matter?

If webbing is unecomical and/or hard to make, where does poor Pete get the money to make it?

Spider silk glands is (and has always been IMHO) a better explaination for what he does than "chemistry".
Yeah, but if he has such a brilliant scientific mind, where's the economuy in maintaining a "freelance photographer" job?

I'm sure it pays more than his scientific background.

Parker's pretty principled, even in the movie. He turned down work at Oscorp. Just because he made his toy cheaply doesn't mean he's going to start selling it. Imagine the fun when the baddies start using the same stuff you have. It's impractical? It's a comic book. It's a comic book movie. Pathological obssessions and linear thinking run wild in this series.

Parker did make other things in the comics. Why isn't he a millionaire? Lack of marketing? Mistrust of business (he did get SHAFTED the first time he went out for a buck)? Habit? The same reason he constantly martyrs himself (guilt, burden of some cosmic responsibility)?

Don't know, don't really care to speculate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:
I really disagreed with the whole Doc Ock in despair scene.

"No, no, Peter was right. I miscalculated."

WTF????? Peter walks in and within the span of five minutes disproves Octavius's life's work?

UGH.

That's all I can say.
In fairness, you've just had your life's work totally shot to Hell. Yesterday, some kid just second guessed you. The kid was bright, perhaps naive, and he second guessed you. And now, it seems, his doubts have been confirmed.

Parker didn't disprove Octavius' work. The good doctor's work fell apart. Parker may have second guessed him, he may have seen something Octavius didn't, but we don't know how many other naysayers were out there.

Yes, it seems weird that a kid was pointing out flaws, bt Otto didn't ant to see them. Harry didn't want to see them. This is why the project, whether flawed or not, continued (and failed).

It's not as much an issue of Parker being bright, and more an issue of Doc Ock being so obssessed with success he developed a case of myopia.

Archived