Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - The Control Room -- OOC Chatter

Dawn OOC

I like them. I'm going to have a few to put up for myself as well, most likely Charisma and Appearance related knacks.

Suggested Appearance Knack Tree:

Damsel in Distress (a.k.a. Squire on the Battlefield)

Whenever the Scion is in danger - real or perceived by the Scion - others see her or him as defenseless and in need of protecting, despite actual aptitude or proven competence in previous situations. Those of a domineering personality will often assume that the Scion needs to constantly be kept in sight/control to prevent them from being taken advantage or witlessly wandering into danger; those of a sadistic bent will often seek to make the Damsel in Distress a favorite subject of their desires.

A Scion or Titanspawn may resist this Knack by spending a Willpower point each [10 - the Scion's Epic Appearance] turns in combat to avoid direct action to remove the Scion from danger. Danger is a subjective term for each Scion or Titanspawn and is determined by each individual, but may not include killing the character to permanently make the Scion "safe".

The effects of Damsel in Distress is primarily for immediate physical danger; more long-term or indirect danger (such as an emotionally or verbally abusive relationship or dwindling supplies in a survival situation) will still trigger Damsel of Distress but will not prompt immediate action or intervention. The ST is final arbiter of any necessary Willpower expenditures, but suggestions are to move the time intervals to hours, days, or weeks as appropriate.

Damsel in Distress costs no Legend to activate, but is always active - even when the Scion would rather be left alone or doesn't perceive a situation as unwanted or dangerous.

A Lady in Truth (A Lord In Truth)

Prerequisite: Damsel in Distress

A Lady In Truth allows the Scion to deactivate Damsel in Distress at will at the cost of one Legend point for [Epic Appearance] days. The Scion may allow the Damsel Knack to reassert itself at any point before the end of the days at the cost of one legend point; for two Legend points the Scion may activate the Damsel Knack for only one Legendary group (Scion or Titanspawn) for the duration instead. If the Scion has reactivated the Damsel knack for only one group in a period and decides that they desire to affect both groups then they must end A Lady In Truth completely (at a cost of another point of Legend for ending the knack prematurely).

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Prerequisite: Damsel in Distress, A Lady In Truth

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing allows the Scion to control the effects of Damsel in Distress at will, without the spending of Legend points. Additionally, the Scion may add their Epic Appearance's automatic successes to any Manipulation roll (stacking with any Epic Manipulation automatic successes) to convince a target that the Scion is in immediate danger from someone or some situation, regardless of the truth or the Scion's own perception of the actual situation. Rules for more subtle types of danger from Damsel in Distress still apply, though the victim of Wolf in Sheep's Clothing should be inclined to more immediate action the more successes the Scion achieved on their Manipulation roll.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've no idea what's going on... I've been so busy with RL that I've grown out of touch with the scene at the camp. Carver, would be possible to get a 'write in' so I know where my PC stands in the current situation?

A Scion or Titanspawn may resist this Knack by spending a Willpower point each [10 - the Scion's Epic Appearance] turns in combat to avoid direct action to remove the Scion from danger. Danger is a subjective term for each Scion or Titanspawn and is determined by each individual, but may not include killing the character to permanently make the Scion "safe".

As a caveat, keep in mind that any Scion whose Epic Appearance, or Legend is equal to or exceeds the Scions should be immune to this effect (as is standard for the rules). They are either unimpressed by the Scion, or simply not powerful enough to persuade them.

Epically Ugly Titanspawn, who despise all things pretty should also not be affected by this Knack, after all, what do they care.

The effects of Damsel in Distress is primarily for immediate physical danger; more long-term or indirect danger (such as an emotionally or verbally abusive relationship or dwindling supplies in a survival situation) will still trigger Damsel of Distress but will not prompt immediate action or intervention. The ST is final arbiter of any necessary Willpower expenditures, but suggestions are to move the time intervals to hours, days, or weeks as appropriate.

Damsel in Distress costs no Legend to activate, but is always active - even when the Scion would rather be left alone or doesn't perceive a situation as unwanted or dangerous.

This essentially removes the free will of PCs. There is no range, area, or anything listed. Is it targeted, line of sight, does the Scion have to scream to get their attention? The characters would spend all their time in a battle or free time if they had any, hovering over this one person in an attempt to keep them even safe over their own safety. I understand the premise of this Knack, but as written it's a bit too much.

A Hero level Knack should have an activation cost and a set duration, along with some sort of active trigger.

A Lady In Truth allows the Scion to deactivate Damsel in Distress at will at the cost of one Legend point for [Epic Appearance] days. The Scion may allow the Damsel Knack to reassert itself at any point before the end of the days at the cost of one legend point; for two Legend points the Scion may activate the Damsel Knack for only one Legendary group (Scion or Titanspawn) for the duration instead. If the Scion has reactivated the Damsel knack for only one group in a period and decides that they desire to affect both groups then they must end A Lady In Truth completely (at a cost of another point of Legend for ending the knack prematurely).

The group selection is a good feature. I think the duration should be increased by [Epic Appearance] days, not deactivated.

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing allows the Scion to control the effects of Damsel in Distress at will, without the spending of Legend points. Additionally, the Scion may add their Epic Appearance's automatic successes to any Manipulation roll (stacking with any Epic Manipulation automatic successes) to convince a target that the Scion is in immediate danger from someone or some situation, regardless of the truth or the Scion's own perception of the actual situation. Rules for more subtle types of danger from Damsel in Distress still apply, though the victim of Wolf in Sheep's Clothing should be inclined to more immediate action the more successes the Scion achieved on their Manipulation roll.

At this tier, 'at will' seems more appropriate. The caveat of Legend and Epic Appearance should of course, still apply.

Just my 2 cents. I think it's an awesome Knack, just a wee bit too OPed in the earlier stages, or just not fully explained really well. I'd hate for my PC to take an arrow to the knee because she decides to abandon all she was doing to help another PC over a silly Knack. I realize Godlike power can be that way sometimes, but it's not as cool when it's screwing other PCs in the process.

Evana, thank you for the feedback. This is why we keep you around. ;)

I've no idea what's going on... I've been so busy with RL that I've grown out of touch with the scene at the camp. Carver, would be possible to get a 'write in' so I know where my PC stands in the current situation?

Done with an edit. Also, I've placed Bannon and fulfilled a request made by Inoae's player.

*facepalms* Yeah, sorry, forgot to add in the higher Legend rating stuff. I read it, I just forgot to type it into the Hero level part of the knack tree. The point about Mega-Ugly Titanspawn is also a good one.

As for a trigger...hrm....part of what I was trying to do in having the Knack always active was to make it a bit of pain in the butt, too. Putting an activation cost on it removes that because the PC has to spend Legend on it and then do something specific to trigger it.

I'm not sure of a way around that. Also, it isn't intended to be all-consumer to someone that's been affect by it (especially not in combat). No "spending all their free time hovering over the PC". The idea would be that if they saw that the PC was (or in the target's opinion was) in some sort of abusive situation, they would try to intervene - just like you would hope someone would in real life. The Knack puts a magic kicker on it so that someone who would be less inclined to do something about the perceived situation (a coward, asshole, or someone that hated/was completely indifferent to the character) would take action.

As for range, the target(s) would have to be able to perceive that the PC was in danger in some way. See them being harmed, hear them scream, that sort of thing; once they were out of immediate danger, then the effect would drop dramatically (removing the Willpower cost for ignoring the PC until/unless the PC is thrust back into direct harm's way).

I suppose setting Damsel in Distress as a Demigod Knack as well might be appropriate. Thoughts?

I'm a bit unclear as to how to proceed. "Head to foot" implies that Evana is pretty much held fast, unable to move or act. While this leaves Bannon in an excellent position to help her, it doesn't leave Evana with much to do until then. I don't have an issue with that, of course, if Bannon wants to help her then by all means that PC should have a moment of glory. I just don't want anyone thinking that I'm not paying attention to things, I am, I just don't see my PC in a position to do much at the moment.

Evana, if you update your character sheet with the 15 additional freebie points to "Scionize" your PC, you'd be able to act according to those powers. Humans are unable to do much against these guys. Advanced beings (like you guys are currently becoming) can act against them. Am I making sense here?

Sort of, but for clarification, if Evana 'Scionizes' then she's free? None of Evana's 'powers' really permit her any offensive options. I'll spend the 15 points and go from there.

Yes, being an Advanced Being allows her to act against the Others. You did it right in your post.

Dawn, could I get a ruling on if this revision of my proposed Knack tree is allowed in the game?

Whenever the Scion is in danger - real or perceived by the Scion - others see her or him as defenseless and in need of protecting, despite actual aptitude or proven competence in previous situations. Those of a domineering personality will often assume that the Scion needs to constantly be kept in sight/control to prevent them from being taken advantage or witlessly wandering into danger; those of a sadistic bent will often seek to make the Damsel in Distress a favorite subject of their desires.

Damsel in Distress costs no Legend to activate, but is always active - even when the Scion would rather be left alone or doesn't perceive a situation as unwanted or dangerous. Targets with a Legend rating up the Scion's may make a (Willpower + Integrity + Legend) roll at a difficulty of the Scion's (Epic Appearance +1) difficulty to ignore the effect for a scene, targets with Legend ratings above the Scions are no affected by the knack. A Scion or Titanspawn that fails the roll or anyone without a Legend rating may still ignore this Knack by spending a Willpower point each [(5 + Legend Rating) - the Scion's Epic Appearance] turns in combat to avoid direct action to remove the Scion from danger. Danger is a subjective term for each Scion or Titanspawn and is determined by each individual, but may not include killing the character to permanently make the Scion "safe". Once the Damsel/Squire is considered "safe" or as safe as the victim can make them during combat, the effect ends. Only if the Damsel/Squire once again comes into danger does the Knack come into effect again; Willpower spent to ignore the effect is still effective for however many turns determined before, no matter if the Damsel/Squire has come in and out of danger.

A Lady In Truth allows the Scion to control the effects of Damsel in Distress at will at the cost of one Legend point for [Epic Appearance] days; this ranges from turning the knack off completely to effecting only one group of legendary beings at a time (Scions or Titanspwan, usually). The Scion may allow the Damsel Knack to reassert itself in full effect at any point before the end of the days at the cost of one Legend point.

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing allows the Scion to control the effects of Damsel in Distress at will, without the spending of Legend points. Additionally, the Scion may add their Epic Appearance in automatic successes to any Manipulation roll (stacking with any Epic Manipulation automatic successes) to convince a target that the Scion is in immediate danger from someone or some situation, regardless of the truth or the Scion's own perception of the actual situation. Rules for more subtle types of danger from Damsel in Distress still apply, though the victim of Wolf in Sheep's Clothing should be inclined to more immediate action the more successes the Scion achieved on their Manipulation roll.

Having talked with Mala about this Knack Tree for a good bit, I'm willing to offer my tentative support it, with the understanding that if it proves abusive or broken, it will be adjusted. I'm still very leery about a Knack that can affect just about any number of people at no cost to the Scion - even with a number of means to resist it - but then again, I've looked at my sheet with what is already in the book, and find the numbers a bit hard to read without seeing them in practice.

So, yes, I'm at least willing to give it a shot.

PS - Meant to mention this the first time this Knack Tree was proposed - the effect should also break immediately for the scene for anyone Scion actually attacks or hurts, since then she ain't seeming so much like a Damsel in Distress, is she?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I know most people don't have their character sheets in their profiles, but with the Scion stuff added in we need either signature or profile indications of at least the social changes (appearance particularly) and any Boons that have an all-the-time or even just fluff observable change in the characters. Please? o.o

Carver - Are you wanting character sheets to be private? Would putting sheets in the spoiler boxes in the signatures like in Magi be allowed/helpful?

• 2 weeks later...

Evana, whether you intended it or not, I *SOOOO* appreciate that opening in your last post. I am going to attempt to get Moira involved at this point, and see if I can go anywhere with it. So far I've been really struggling with how to get her into play, or maybe just struggling with the character. But that spoiler gives me a good step-in. Let's hope I can take it and run with it, hm?

P.S. - I had to PM Dawn about some things with points. So I'm not going to be able to post until most likely tomorrow, when Dawn has a moment or two to address it for me. So if folks could hold off for just a day, Moira will be directly addressing Evana's latest post. Thanks, guys.

• 3 weeks later...

New policy. I'm sick of getting complaints about experience awarded, so from now on, people will be getting a flat rate of experience every month, starting with the experience for June. Everyone will get the same experience on this scale:

0 posts, with no reason given - 0 xp

0 posts, but with a real life reason - 1 xp standard

1 post minimum - full experience award, which will be based on how the group posts as a whole

I don't know what that full award will be, and it will vary from month to month.

I don't really want to hear anymore complaints. Each and every one of those bitch-sessions takes what's supposed to be fun and made it a stressful experience. If you have a valid question, feel free to post it. If you want to bitch or complain, then go whisper to each other in chat, because I sure as shit don't want to hear it.

As a suggestion, to reward a player that has done something particular noteworthy for the month - posted considerably more than others with quality posts or pushed themselves as a writer/pushed their character outside of the normal comfort zone they usually play in - would be for you as the ST to have one xp to hand out and have one extra xp for the group to vote on. Most White Wolf games I've been involved in, both LARP and TT, have done this, giving players an incentive to go above and beyond without leaving the more....casual, I suppose...players completely behind in xp.

That has been the most fair system in place that still allows some xp variance for those that do more or less in a game.

The unanswered question I still have for you is: what made May a "bad month" for me in SGA? I know that I got kicked in the teeth several times with rl issues, but my posting from April to May were of the same quantity, at least, so I would like to know what difference in quality you saw that accounted for the difference in xp awarded between April and May for me. This is sincerely so that I can avoid such issues in the future and grow as a writer. I asked you this in chat in a PM because I do see it as more private than something to be posted in the OOC thread, most especially because it pertains only to me, but if this is where it needs to go to get an answer, then I'll take my critique publicly.

I don't know how many fucking times I have to say this. Again, I am NOT talking about ST awards, publically or privately, with anyone about their player or others.

I'm also taking a 24-hour from this game because my first response was a lot less civil. I feel like I'm being attacked here and in chat, and that is not okay.

Let me preface this by saying: at the time of this writing, I haven’t read any posts in this thread save since mine went up. The reason is simple: I have been thinking about what to say and feel like I can put together a reasonable and thoughtful answer. After I’ve written this portion, I’ll address the posts since mine.

First, I want to explain how I was assessing experience – I’ll explain what I wasn’t assessing in the next bit. So what I was looking for in SGA, first and foremost, was posts. Sheer numbers. That was my starting point, because posts drive more posting, and that drives an active game. So quantity was my very first measure, and was how I figured the starting base standard experience. Then I compared the number of posts each person did compared to how many everyone else did and set my min xp number (usually 2) and my max (usually no more than 4). Then, if someone had been particularly good or done something I wanted to award, they got another standard xp. I would also remove a point if all the posts someone had done were one-liners that didn’t move the game in any way. I tried not to give more standard experience that 4, so that meant that people hit their cap on quantity sometimes. Getting a 5 meant going above and beyond, though I usually gave more Human or Ancient instead of bonuses there. Human experience was usually 1, assuming that the character didn’t act like a robot or that the player had them do more than the bare minimum. If someone had been particularly human, then they could get more, like if they got in a fight with their boss or stepped outside of their normal comfort zone. If the PC had done cool stuff with Ancient powers or backgrounds, I awarded Ancient experience.

With that explained, let me say what experience was not. It was not a measure of anyone’s writing ability. It was not necessarily a measure of someone’s RP ability, though as I’ve pointed out above, that factors into Human experience. But people have different RP abilities and I wanted to allow for that. My experience awards are solely to promote the growth of PCs and to encourage people to continue to post and improve their PCs.

Next point I want to make before I catch up on posts and maybe get upset again. If I say ‘no, I’m not discussing this’ it doesn’t mean to contact me over another medium. It doesn’t mean rile someone else up so they’ll come after me as well. It means, ‘I’m not explaining this anymore.’ And in that vein, I’m not giving any more reason for why people got what rewards. In the future, everyone will get the same xp. I will not be awarding bonuses either, because people seem to be reading way more into these awards than they should.

Mala, I get you’re upset at me, but I am not willing to tell you exactly what you need to do to get more experience. Any differences you are seeing is likely from not standing out above and beyond. These awards are subjective and based on my perceptions, which I'm willing to admit can be flawed. But I'm not willing to allow myself to be double-guessed over some numbers.

I’m also trying to promote continued play and reward players for doing stuff in the game. Hell, I’m awarding people for doing anything at all, which has been a problem in the game. Beyond that, I’m not a writing assessor, these awards were NEVER a measure of your ability as a writer and I don’t feel that I have to explain myself beyond what I have already done above.

Hey guys.

So I was joking around a bit with Carver the other day about something I had realized. And though I was joking around with her about it, it actually is a bit of a legitimate concern for me, and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback or suggestions, or discussion about it. The joke was that I've had kind of a hard time getting into SGA, and it finally dawned on me that part of the reason is that all the characters are.. well.. bastards.

:ass::arge::banghead::bash::angry::mad::censored:

I mean, don't get me wrong, some of them are more.. well, bastardly, I suppose.. than the others. And, of course, Inoae is the exception, being the crazy, psychologically broken alien who thinks her new hive is VERY weird.

:huh:

But when I really started thinking about it, it dawned on me that this really is kind of true. Now, I'm not trying to say anything bad about anyone's characters - they're all awesome and interesting, and I like a good jackass as much as the next guy. :D Obviously, since I created Moira - Ms. "Hey, worst case scenario, let's just send through a sacrificial goat, hm? And if we don't have one of those lying around, I'm sure one of these privates will do...". It's just that those of us who are active in the game happened to all be the people who decided to create sociopaths, misanthropes, or just plain cranky/bitchy jerks. And I'm wondering if anyone else besides me is having a hard time connecting emotionally to the game because of it.

Now, that aside - since the situation it is what it is - is does anyone have any suggestions to help me with this? I've considered altering Moira's personality - whether just to ask everyone to go back and pretend, or perhaps to have Dawn include some sort of plot where something about Moira's temperament/personality is permanently altered somehow. (That too was spoken in jest during the conversation, but it might be more cohesive to the storyline than trying to just pretend she's been nice all this time!). But I'm not sure just having my character be the only nice one is going to solve the issue for me. But is there a side to people's characters that I haven't had a chance to see yet? Maybe someone would be willing to do some fics with me to help me connect on a more emotional level? Or just some advice on learning to embrace a game full of characters who are kind of cranky? :D

Now, I don't want anyone to think I'm asking them to change anything about their characters - I would never do that. Obviously this isn't anyone's problem but my own, and I have to resolve it on my own somehow. But I really, really like the premise of SGA, and I'm finally watching all the SG stuff so that I'll really have a comprehension of the setting this time around, unlike in SGU where I was flying blind. (I'm up to SG1 Season 7, so almost to Atlantis, actually.) And the more I watch, the more I really want to be a part of and enjoy this game! So any advice/feedback/whatever you guys have is certainly appreciated. Thanks.

The three regular posters' characters in the game before last month are Inoae, who you've already addressed for this; Yseult, who from what I have seen Asa write is far less of bitch out of combat and out of bed, so I'd just try to find a common ground for her and Moira connect (say a love of a sport, the training classes Yseult and Taela were giving, even just an exercise like running in the mornings around the city or something), and Shane, who's only an asshole when people touch his Baby (or break the screen.... ;) ).

Moira has only had minor interaction with any of these characters. Right now in the game there is an emergency situation the rather precludes a bunch of soul-to-soul chats for the characters. Have Moira corral the civvies and feed Bates advice on the Genii from a profiler's point of view (she has the skill set and temperament for that, and I'm sure Carver would be willing to do rolls or whatnot for Moira's insights). That would most likely earn points with Yseult, and probably impress Curtis a bit. We've already got Pegasus Couch for the crazy Lantean, and once Storm is done and some of her powers are known, that will give the therapy sessions whole new dimensions.

As for Evana, as Dave seems to be posting more regularly, she's already shown some psychological issues that could also get her to go to/assigned to some therapy, giving a chance for her and Moira to at least interact. If Moira's essentially given the job of "shrink for the ones going through mysterious changes," that gives you an "in" for all the characters and would force Moira to deal with people as people instead of as abstract anthropological studies, which could account for a general shift in her behavior.

Another option, if you're wanting something to account for her being nicer, would be to give her an SO, either through solo fics or asking Carver or someone to play the NPC (as I don't think any of the current PCs would be her type?). This current plot thread is the first major turning point in the game and will give the PCs a reason to socialize beyond just being PCs. They're becoming part of a minority in an already small social group.

To sum up my advice: post more, give this current thread time to play itself out, post over in Pegasus Couch for some immediate social interaction with Inoae, and talk to Carver about....oh! I just had another idea, especially if you want to skip the NPC boy/girlfriend: look at Moira's post-change sheet and see about shifting some stuff around so that the "boost" gave her more empathy-related powers/skills/whatnot. I'll send you some specific suggestions in PM.

My biggest suggestion is just to post more. The more you post, the more Moira will have a chance to connect with the other characters than the arms-length professional connection she has at the moment. Most characters have shown that, out of combat or combat-related situations (and sex, for Yseult), their personalities are far less 'asshole'. :)

I've not had the opportunity to write a fic with anyone, yet, but Evana is actually not a bitch or sociopath at all. She does have some psychological scars from her encounter with alien technology, but who wouldn't if it bleached your hair and eyes ice blue and made you look like a circus freak.

Her attitude, which is sometimes hard to convey in text -at least for me, I know what I want to say, I just sometimes and not sure how to convey it-, is actually very fun loving and care-free. Evana is a wonderful and sweet person to know and call friend. The hard to convey part is that she's also a Captain in the military. This means that when she's 'on the clock' she has to be a certain way with people in order to motivate those people to get done what needs to get done. So, yes, I suppose in a way when she's playing Captain she could quite easily be considered a bitch but I do hope I've the opportunity sometime to show the opposite side of her where people have the chance to say "How, you're totally different off duty. (insert playful laugh) Where's the stern faced business woman dropping F-Bombs?"

Also, both Moira and Evana have a background in psychology, so at least they have something in common. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Uuuh... yeah. Moira can do pretty much anything she wants to with the corridors. I'll go far as to say that she can control access to the whole Tower at this point, including access in and out via the teleporters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As I neglected to officially mention, I'm in Orlando Florida this week. I'll be home Friday and possibly recovered by Saturday. Until then, please don't except ST posts. I might manage a player post or two, but that's it.

I've been a pretty shitty ST recently and I feel like I'm walking toward the path that QF followed. So here's what I'm doing. As of right now, my games are temporarily suspended. No one has to worry about them or make posts in them, but they are welcome to do fictions if so inspired. Next week, I'll assess one at a time and decide whether to start to bring them back into play or closing them. It's more likely to be the former, but I hope that doing it one at a time makes it seem less overwhelming.

I'm not looking to drop any player games (they're dropping fast enough on their own ;) ) but don't expect much from me until after the vacation is over, please.

Thanks so much for your patience - I truly appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

Archived