Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - The Control Room -- OOC Chatter

Dawn OOC

Here's the place for talking out of character.

Some notes on the game:

This game is currently closed to new submissions.

I'm not requiring character profiles; as small and cozy as this game is, I'm not sure they're needed right now. Consider it an experiment to learn each other's PCs through RP. wink Discuss if you wish; I'm open to changing this.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max, I'm attempting a bit of an experiment here - trying an invite-only game. If you didn't get one, it's not personal: I had several 'parameters' and was pretty harsh about people meeting them. That's why I only have five PCs - like the Family, it's going to be kept small and controlled, especially since I'm kludging the system together from Scion and Adventure and whatever else we want to use, largely on the go.

That said, if all the current PCs want someone else to join, I'll let one more person in (and replace people if they fall off) to a limit of six. So feel free to express your interest in the game.

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Color me interested. The blending of systems is something I enjoy messing with, especially when they blow up in my face and leave it all blackened with my hair wind blown straight back.

Ah, good times.

Then I'll post the house rules we have thus far for others to see. I'm happy to share what we've come up with thus far.

Originally Posted By: Goro Kondo
Edit Reduex: Apparently my traitorous fingers changed "Atlantica" to "Anlantica" when I posted the thread. I fixed it now.

Dude, I totally thought you were being artsy and snobby. laugh I'll fix it in the Stories from Pegasus thread. grin

I'll be jumping ahead a bit. The big reason for this is because I want to get Mala into play, and you all know where that will occur (or you probably know, if you have seen the first episode of SGA). I know that we'll skim over a bit, but it's for a good reason. Once Mala is involved, I won't scroll so far ahead of things.

If you feel like I didn't give you anything to do, we can either talk about it privately, or you can take a pass for a round. Just let me know if you don't want to post, so we don't wait on you. Sorry about the rush; just trying to get everyone into the game.

Another big post, more pushing forward. I expect another round of posting from the PCs; feel free to tell me if you have nothing to add at this point. Once everyone's replied or declined to reply, I'll put up the next big post, which should get us on the Wraith ship, and should be my last big push like this. After that, things will slow down, at least in terms of time covered ICly.

Any questions or concerns, just come talk to me. smile

I'll be making another big update tonight. In the meantime, chew on my proposed difficulties for using Ancient technology. Some devices don't have a difficulty; they simply require the ATA Gene; for brevity's sake, I'll skip those. Remember that the ATA Gene Background lowers the difficulty by one per dot you have.

Life Signs Detector - 1

Personal Shield - 2

Puddlejumper - 3

The Control Chair - 5

This is just a start. Anything you disagree with? Any other tech you'd like to me address?

Atlantis Database, maybe? (Probably a 10 rating or something high like that. I assume it's more complicated and harder to navigate/use than the command chair is.)

Communication Stones (Diff 3? not hard to turn on, but actually controlling the communication seemed difficult in the show, as neither Daniel nor Vala could turn it off when they first used it.)

Lantean Observational Satellite - Because, c'mon, who doesn't want one of those?? (Dif....4? Dunno here. Maybe higher than that based on complexity of the system.)

Lantean Stun Weapon - if any are ever found. (Diff 1 or 2? A gun is still pretty much a gun, even if it has crystal and lasers.)

Lantean Defense Satellite - Because it'll probably come up. (Again, I'd go pretty high here, both because of the complexity of the system and because it's probably a little broken.)

That's all I got so far. Are we allowed to submit ideas for devices and whatnot, or would you like to keep that particular can of pythons unopened?

Feel free to toss up ideas. I want this to be an incredibly cooperative game, a process that is definitely smoother with this small of a gruop. Since Gadget is a background, feel free to offer ideas for them, as both Atlantean and Wraith tech is available - just keep them within the theme of the game. We'll be looking for a majority concensus on anything suggested; just remember, I may still deny it for plot reasons.

Post up if you volunteer; those that don't will have their own adventure to go play on, so don't feel like you have to go off on a mad lark just to participate.

My next post should set us up where we need to have Inoae joining us. Inoae, you might want to start posting and setting your scene.

• 1 month later...

As noted on our bulletin board:

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
These events occur between S1:E1 and S1:E2.
  • The former Wraith captive teaches the use of the teleporters to all.
  • The Beckett-Kondo ATA Gene Therapy is being administered to the personnel. It has a 40% chance of being successful, and takes four hours to change the genetic code.
  • The young Athosian named Jinto gets lost in the city, accidently releasing a hostile entity.
  • Major Sheppard is attacked by an alien life form off-world; while on the way back, the puddlejumper becomes stuck in the gate. He barely survives.

Please post your questions or remarks here, rather than in the OOC notice thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it amusing that Bates is worried about Tara not taking orders from Yse. Bates is a Sergeant (E-5). Tara is a Lieutenant Commander (O-4). She outranks him by about nine paygrades, not counting the whole officer/enlisted thing. However, normally JAG, Chaplain, and Medical officers, are not considered to be in the normal chain of command due to their duties.

Unless, of course, Bates' has been given a "battlefield promotion" due to the death of the Colonel, and Sheppard being placed in charge. With the size of the Atlantis expedition, it is a little odd for a mere E-5 to be in charge of security for the entire city. As acting CO, Sheppard has the authority to instantly advance him to an E-6; I'm honestly not sure if he or Weir has the authority to give him a commission to O-1 and make him an officer, though that would make more sense given his new authority.

Originally Posted By: Inoae Amara
Carver's made him a Captain since it was rather odd in the show that a Sergeant was head of Security.

As Inoae noted... laugh I know it's not canon, but it makes so much more sense to me. smile

For E2, if you DO have more questions, post them here; I'll work them into the last post I did.

Time to get to the fun. Feel free to have your next post covering the time between the briefing and your arrival at gate. Let me know if you're late! grin

• 3 weeks later...

Are we doing a separate thread for combat (as Carver has done in DR) or are we doing it in spoiler boxes in the episode thread (as jameson does in Wild West)?

[edit] Personally, I'd prefer it in the main thread, but I'm not picky about it. [/edit]

Archived