World of Darkness: Balance of Power - Hound on the Chase

Mel Grimson

Just after the close of Last Night, January 1st.

12:02 AM

Mel cleared his way through the crowd right after Prince Gregor's words and departure, intent on the person he spied entering the room. Though it might cost him, Mel toyed with the idea if it was easier, of linking the hunters once they were found, to crimes that the police would arrest them for.

It certainly was safer for the Masquerade. In any case, he planned to start by procuring the aid of Dumas. By the end of his thought, he was right in front of the General and Clem Broson.

"Dumas," he started in a business like tone, "I'd like you to come along with me on a lead that may help for identifying these hunters. Perhaps, if you are so inclined, Mr. Broson, you may come along to."

Jimmy considered the hound. He had not planned on delivering the hunters. It would be better to just dispose of them, and kinder. That might prove difficult with Ganker there. Still this could be made to work as well. Two other kindred reduced the risk of him getting killed.

"Mr. Ganker I would be happy to assist the city in any way possible. Clem and I were about to go looking for them. I should be receiving a call with the full police report on the scene in a minute. Then we can go look in to your lead. I will even go ahead and let you boys know I could care less about boons from York. You two can fight over them."

Mel snorted. "I don't see how we could bring them in without questions being asked. I'm willing to sacrifice the boons too. As for the police, I'm willing to wait, though I suspect they will only find homemade handgun bullets."

He grinned dangerously at Dumas' expression. "Yes, I've been to the crime scene."

• 2 weeks later...

"Where there's a will, there's a way. You two fellas do as you please, but I aim to collect the bounty offered for a live delivery." Clem said pleasantly, a faint smile crooking one corner of his mouth as his eyes - one cold blue, the other warm russet - regarded both vampires from under the brim of his hat. "So let's get our cards on the table right now, boys. Cos I ain't too interested in workin' with folks who'll spoke my wheel."

"Now, if you fine gentlemen still want me along, then I'd be delighted to assist you in bringin' these bushwhackin' sons of bitches to heel."

Mel didn't say a word, but stared quietly at Clem for a moment. The gaze was non-threatening, at least intentionally, but never the less held that Nosferatu menace.

"All right. Here's the deal. Once we find them, you can take one or two back, the rest disposed of. No more. Is that agreeable? Because York may be letting his want of revenge go too far in wanting the Hunters brought back. "

"Two does us no more good than one. The deal was a boon for one and two for all four. If the three of us are not capable of knocking out and controlling four mortals, hunters or not, than we are pretty pathetic. Don't know if your enhanced hound senses have picked up Mr. Ganker but we are not politicians that look to others when things get dirty. We are the clean up crew."

Jimmy looked to Clem to see if he agreed. "Although if you are insistent on clearing them out Mr. Ganker I suppose you can go look for them on your own. Clem here and I will try to find them and if they seem to be a real problem I can call in my brothers to help subdue them."

Mel growled and looked more than a little annoyed at the comment.

"Perhaps it hasn't gotten to either of you, but I'm not taking chances with the Masquerade. Dead bodies tend to be more easily pushed aside or explained rather than a missing person. They have the incentive to look for those missing. I don't want them coming with us, to make it safer for the court as a whole.

It comes onto my head if something wrong happens, and I much rather prefer York's anger at not getting revenge, to the Prince having to cover up a slip up and blaming we for it. I thought you weren't after boons, Dumas, and Mr. Broson ought to flex with the fact that the law in this city is worse than his gunslinger sheriffs."

Clem laughed, a youthful-sounding chuckle that nevertheless contained a definite hint of mockery.

"I had no idea they employed old ladies as Hounds these days." he grinned derisively from under his hat, eyes glinting. "See, Mr Ganker, it's like this: The sheriff of this here town wants all four bloodbags brought to him. They won't be missing persons for long, I'm guessin', and we can arrange a suitable accident to cover up whatever the Archbishop wants to do to them." He hooked his thumbs into his gunbelts.

"And I'll be sure to mention to that fine gentleman that you believe his desire for retribution is secondary to a Hound's peace of mind. I'm sure he'll be most fascinated in your point of view." Clem tilted his head slightly to one side and smiled like a Cheshire Cat. "Unless you want to start cooperatin', that is."

"Me? Cooperating?" Mel murmured. "You should be, Mr. Broson. Cause I know more about you than you think. If it comes down to a word game with the Sheriff... he'll be more fascinated at how audacious you can be. In fact, I can assure you, if you don't come along and do as I say... he learn for sure."

A smirk of triumph lit over Mel's face. "Either way," he glanced at Dumas. "can I assume you and possibly will join me?"

"Not interested." Clem shrugged, his gaze narrowing with distaste as he regarded the smug Nosferatu. "You think because you pry and sniff around Elysium like a whipped dog at the table of his betters that you can browbeat me into dancin' to your tune. To hell with you, sneak. Tell the Sheriff and be damned to you, but threaten me again and you might even live long enough to regret it." He kept his tone low, but it was evident enough that the Gangrel was dangerously angry. He looked at Jimmy.

"We don't need this horseshit. He'd probably stab us in the back as soon as he feels brave enough. Let's you and me do this thing without him, General."

Archived