Gamma World Again?

Matt

Wizards is apparently releasing another version of Gamma World. Is this something that people are actually asking for? And if those people were asking for it, are they willing to pay $40 for a 160 page book?

Don't get me wrong, I had fun playing the game back in the day and I know that RPG books aren't cheap, but that is just an insane amount of money for the game.

Here is the info for the game:

D&D Gamma World Roleplaying Game

A D&D Roleplaying Game

Richard Baker and Bruce R. Cordell

A wacky, wily roleplaying game of post-apocalyptic peril.

Earth. After the apocalypse. Never mind the radiation—you’re gonna like it here.

The D&D Gamma World Roleplaying Game offers hours of rollicking entertainment in a savage land of adventure, where the survivors of some mythical future disaster must contend with radioactive wastes, ravaged cities, and rampant lawlessness. Against a nuclear backdrop, heroic scavengers search crumbled ruins for lost artifacts while battling mutants and other perils.

This product is a complete, stand-alone roleplaying game that uses the 4th Edition D&D Roleplaying Game system as its foundation. It appeals to D&D players as well as gamers interested in fantasy science fiction set in a bizarre, post-apocalyptic world.

• 160-page book with rules for character creation, game rules, and an adventure
  • 2 sheets of die-cut character and monster tokens
  • 2 double-sided battle maps
  • Cardstock character sheets and mutation power cards
  • Mutation power card deck
  • Loot power card deck

Item Details

Item Code: 254600000

Release Date: October 19, 2010

Format: Box

Page Count: 160

Price: $39.99 C$47.99

ISBN: 978-0-7869-5508-4

I have two different editions to Gamma World, which, while both have some interesting material to add to the world, I can't see buying a new edition unless they changed/added a significant pantload of stuff. Just because there are new rules, doesn't mean it justifies a new edition.

Especially for a game that more or less just had a cult following within the RPG world anyhow. I could very, very easily take DnD 4th and run Gamma world with the books I have without dumping $40 on a new box set.

Personally, I'd rather see them re-publish something that hasn't been beat to death already and that hasn't seen the light of day in awhile like Hollow World.

Archived