Scion: Brainstorming Request

Ouroboros

Hey all, I'm looking for help developing a new Pantheon and Pantheon Specific Purview for Scion. Specifically I am looking for to create a Native American Pantheon, either as a general Pantheon encompassing, in a general sense, the multitude of North American Native mythologies or more specifically the Puebloan Peoples (which includes among others the Hopi and Zuni).

There is a Fan made Pantheon HERE, and likewise the start of a potential Purview HERE

I don't pretend or claim any great amount of knowledge regarding to any of the Native American peoples so I'm reaching out in hope that I can get help in fleshing out the Pantheon and completing the Purview. I'm not opposed to starting from scratch in regards to either. I do intend to use the write up for Coyote/Br'er Rabbit from the Companion however (Pantheon purview not withstanding).

Anyway, I would appreciate any help I can get, especially in regards to a purview. Thanks.

I could prolly whip something up, but it's be a hard one to do since the Native American people, when it comes to beliefs, encompassed spirituality that is already covered by other purviews.

Kachina isn't too bad, but it's not very useful from what I read.

What do people think the purview should encompass?

Originally Posted By: Tesstarossa
The Pantheon isn't too bad, but the purview needs some work.

My thoughts exactly, aside from lacking detail (which frankly I could force back on any players who wanted to use it) the Pantheon isn't terrible. Purview though ...

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
I could prolly whip something up, but it's be a hard one to do since the Native American people, when it comes to beliefs, encompassed spirituality that is already covered by other purviews.

Kachina isn't too bad, but it's not very useful from what I read.

What do people think the purview should encompass?

I was thinking about this yesterday on my way to (and back from) a Superbowl viewing. For me it keeps coming back to two things: Harmony with their surroundings, and the communion with the spirits of nature. I looked at the Harmony virtue and what it does:

Originally Posted By: Scion pg 120
Characters use Harmony to: determine a balanced solution to problems, act in ways that maintain or restore balance in a situation, convince others to alter their actions in the interests of maintaining a balance of forces.

A failed Harmony roll allows a character to: knowingly act in a way that creates an imbalance of forces, counsel action that creates an imbalance

Virtue Extremity: Tyranny of Balance. The Scion goes to extreme measures to restore the balance of outcomes in a given situation, even going so far as to inflict harm or suffering on herself or her compatriots if necessary. Tyranny of Balance lasts for the duration of the scene.

That looks right for a virtue but I keep thinking that maybe Harmony could also be a purview, an ability to manipulate the balance of nature without upsetting it, and to use that balance to gain insight/communion with nature's spirits.

You could bring it back to weaving...hmn...perhaps that the Scion can reweave their surroundings to change things a little, but do so without disrupting people. Essentially part of their reweaving was that it had now always been that way. Dunno if that would work or not, I'm not a Scion buff, but it seems like it would fit in theme at least a little.

Another possibility I suppose would be to expand upon the oft over used "vision/spirit quest" concept into a full purview. Something akin to Prophecy and Mystery but also neither of those things. Or perhaps its enough that those exist and the entire idea of a vision quest is merely a use of Mystery or Prophecy couched within a certain thematic system of activation.

The more I think about this the more I think Reven's comment about the various beliefs of the Native American peoples already being well covered is true. There may not be enough of a _need_ for a specific purview.

Archived