World of Darkness: Balance of Power - [Mage] Welcome to Kansas City

Daven_OOC NPCRM #1

"It is their place and the meeting they called." The young man shrugged again, "I will....wait for the Lex Magica and trust to my hosts, for the moment. Practicality can become a panacea excuse for many things. Like magic, I prefer to hold it until absolutely necessary to employ."

She hurried up the walk, sneakers making little noise as she moved. Most people wouldn't notice her, beyond those that caught sight of the pretty face framed by the fur-lined hood of her jacket. The jacket hid most of the proportions, though leg-men might have noticed the long legs in their ratty jeans. Her skin had just enough color to qualify as exotic, giving her a healthy tanned glow without sunning. She did spend time outdoors, but not for the purpose of looking like this. She walked with the easy step of the physically fit, though right now, she seemed to be wandering rather than following any set path.

Rounding a corner, the woman slowed and then stopped, staring at a car. A hopeful expression crossed her face, and she wound around the other parked cars to lightly touch one. She leaned down and look at the plates and smiled, then looked at the house it was parked in front of. Her steps picked up, only to stop again when she saw the man wandering outside the house. Her smile became a grin, and she finished at a run, leaping the four steps in one bound. "Brandon!" she cried happily, snaking her arms around him. "Jesus, but you guys were hard to find!"

Brandon's face lit up like a little kid's on Christmas morning. He through his arms around the girl and hugged her tightly to him. "Mina! What are you doing in KC? What are you doing in the Midwest?"

He let her go and looked her over, taking in the tattered clothes and near worn-out shoes and the backpack on her back. "How the hell did you get here? And how did you track us down here?"There was something in the way he asked the question that gave her the impression that he was looking for some particular answer, as if she might know some secret that he could share, but only after he knew that she knew. People were weird sometimes. "Uh, and while we're here, call me Ren, okay? I'll....I'll explain later, but it's kinda important."

"Ok," Mina said, taking the 'call me Ren it's important' completely in stride. That was one of the nice things about her; she was so calmly accepting of many unusual things. "Well, I hitchhiked most of the way here, and I found you by wandering around until I found your car." She pointed over her shoulder with her thumb. "Thank goodness you're too lazy to have your plates changed yet."

She grinned more widely and gently caught his face in her hands. Before he could do more than blink, she'd kissed him lightly. He tasted of cigarettes, but she didn't care; she'd dreamed of doing that for a long time. "You left before I could do that," she murmured softly, "but I've been wanting to." Her grin became impish. "Now, where's your stud? I wanna see him, too. And what is his code name for the evening?"

"Remiel Tabris," Ren said.

"Then call me... Janet Weiss," Mina laughed, taking his arm.

He grinned at the kiss and snorted at the name, "Should I change to Brad Majors, then?"

"Only if you're an asshole," 'Janet' replied glibly, still grinning and pleased from her successful tracking.

"I think I'll stick with Ren." He stubbed out the last of his cigarette and offered her an arm. Ken was probably going to make them leave now that she was here, but what the hell? A night alone with Mina wasn't so bad a prospect; he could show off the house and the new stuff, at least.

He led her back into the meeting room, noting that Rodent-a-la-flambe was still talking with his boyfriend but that it seemed a little less likely to end up with a lighting bolt or something in the guy's chest. He leaned down and murmured impishly to 'Janet', "You should go sneak up on him."

"Ok," Janet replied, grinning. But as she walked up, she didn't appear to be making any real attempt to cloak herself. Remiel didn't look up, caught in conversation with Firerat and assuming that the person approaching was Ren. Arms slid around him from behind, and a feminine voice murmured, "If I'd had a knife, I could have given you a second smile." Her tone was teasing and gentle, even if her words weren't. "Hey, baby."

Remiel started at the touch and took in a slow deep breath as he recognized the speaker. He nodded to Firerat and murmured something polite as the other mage left for his own table. She could feel the coiled tension ease a little under her arms, and then build up again in a matter of seconds. There was confusion and curiousity in his eyes as he looked up at her, that same tone of secrets that she'd caught from Brandon in his voice. "Hey- you. What are you doing here? When did you get to Kansas City?"

Before she could reply, he shook his head and stood up. "Sorry, I'm being rude." He pulled her into a hug, shooting Ren a questioning look over her shoulder that was answered with an oh-so-helpful shrug and grin. "How are you?"

Kinsei shrugged and turned to Raiden as the new FRee Council Councillor walked off ignoring his question.

"So you've lived around here for some time? Anything important I should know and areas or people I should avoid? Actually, come to think of it is there anywhere you would recommend to get some training or practise while I'm in here?"

Mina laughed softly, hugging 'Remiel' back. "I got here about a week ago. I've been looking for you guys ever since. And I'm fine, but you know that just from looking." She winked at him, knowing his sexual preferences but enjoying the casual flirting too much to restrain herself.

"As for any more detail, I'd like to wait until we're somewhere private," she added more softly. "I don't know any of these people." While her words might indicate that she had personal news to share, Remiel knew that his friend was fairly private and never talked too much about herself around strangers. She might have nothing secretive or vital, but she still wouldn't speak of it.

Sprite grinned at Kinsei. "If you are looking for martial training Chimera is a awesome teacher. Though you want to make sure to tell her if you want her to augment her self or not. With her life magic she can practically put Mr. Universe to shame. As for me I can spar a bit but I warn you no matter how good you are I have a tendency to win. Guess I am just lucky like that." She giggled and focused on the piece of bread. Nibbling on it slowly she looked around the room.

Chimera smiled and nodded at Sprite's comment. "It is true I have a fair amount of martial arts training and experience. If you are really looking for a good partner to train with I may be the best around."

One of the servers announced food was ready and at that time Watcher returned with the other two Mysterium. Chimera looked to Evidence with a questioning look and he nodded. Standing up he looked around the room at the tables and motioned for everyone to move away from them. Everyone's unseen sense went off as he spoke in high speech and all the tables started moving together. As they moved the edges blurred and mixed as the tables reformed in to a large table that would accommodate all gathered. The table was not circular, instead one side had notably been formed in to the head with five seats at it. The rest of the of table had a slight curve going around almost like an oval, it allowed for all to be near the five seats at the head. Chimera moved and sat in the center seat of the five.

"If the three councilors would join me. The rest, feel free to sit where you like. As these separate tables have been joined together, let us become one concilium that will help bring an end to the war going on in this world."

"I may take you up on that Chimera, thank you. In fact I was wondering about the combat arts in general. I have found a reasonable firing range, but it is always more difficult to find decent teachers for the weapon styles. Do any of you have suggestions in those departments?"

As Evidence moved the individual tables and formed them into one Kinsei looks on with obvious interest, studying the interplay of Forces and Matter keenly.

When the dinner/councilium table is formed Kinsei moves to take a spot semi-opposite Raiden and hopefully fairly close to Sprite in the hopes of continuing their conversation.

Remiel began to shoo Janet and Ren toward the door. Janet was a little amused; Remiel clearly wanted her out of here, which only made her want to see what was happening more. Some of these people looked to be fun, like the Gimp-look-alike across the room. As she wondered who held his leash, Colonel Sanders look-alike started to talk. And then Gimp motioned for everyone to get away from the tables.

A tingle, hot and violent, ran through her. As Janet wondered if she'd just stepped on an exposed wire or perhaps had an spontaneous orgasm, the tables moved together and started to melt into one. She watched, her expression vaguely interested. "Well," she said softly when they were done, "you don't see that everyday."

Remiel winced and then sighed. Well, at least it didn't blow up or not work. I don't think I'd want to have to explain that to Evidence. Why couldn't he have just pushed the tables together? Mages! The last was half whine, half exasperation. Dammit.

He pulled 'Janet' close, whispering low and directly into her ear. "I will explain as much of this as I can later. I can ask you to leave..." he sighed at the look on her face "...yeah, I didn't think so. If you're going to stay, then listen very carefully to me: you're going to see impossible things here." Because, by God, apparently mages can't get together without showing off! "Try to look as little surprised as you can and keep firmly in mind that anything is possible in the world. Don't stray far away from me or Br-Ren, don't tell anyone your actual name, and don't ask questions. That last is for your safety as much as mine and his. I'll answer what I can when we get home, okay?"

Kaien moved quietly to the table with Chimera and the rest of the council, taking his set to the right and waiting for the others. Inwardly he disliked the pageantry of it all, but knew this was the way of things, and like it or not, this would be how things went from now on.

Sense Tinea stood as counselor for the Mysterium, Caitlynn instead took another place at the table, choosing a position that she could easy back up and support Tinea, as provost if needed or desired. Not that she thought the other mage was going to need her support too much, she simply wanted it clear where she stood.

Kinsei frowned a little at the the display the newcomer was making with Remiel. It was hardly the sort of thing you would expect here and it made him concerned for the safety of the group. Had they somehow let a Sleeper in here? Or perhaps Remiel was more careless in the training of who he brought with him than the behaviour of his original companion suggested. In either case the Orderless Mage and his companions bore watching in case they became a liability to the Awakend of the city.

With a glance at Caitlyn, Tinea stood up and went over to the seat on the far right, and somewhat primly sat down in it. She then surveyed the room with her perpetually bemused expression, as if she wasn't quite sure where she was, or how she'd gotten there.

Janet grinned at Remiel's whispered instructions before kissing him on the cheek. "Don't worry," she murmured in his ear, "I am capable of subtlety." The look on Remiel's face suggested he doubted that statement.

Stepping around him, Janet strolled to the table. She headed straight for one of the empty seats at the head, and Remiel moved, taking her arm and guiding her to another seat. Janet faux-pouted cutely but sat quietly, with almost a prim air, clasping her hands together on the surface of the table. But her gray eyes sparkled with mirth as she surveyed the occupants of the table, as if she knew a private joke she had no intention of sharing. Her smile implied the same thing; it was the kind of smirk that invited authority figures to take offence with.

As food was served casual conversation picked up. Watcher talked to the new comers of the city about the rather large number of hallows he had found since moving here. Nearly all of them were still unclaimed. Sprite was happy to laugh and talk to any who would carry on a conversation with her. Evidence sat in his seat and just watched the room. Chimera talked about the small place she had set up to practice her fighting styles. She was always happy to have sparring partners. Especially ones that didn't just rely on luck. As the meal moved towards dessert Chimera simply sat back smiling. This was starting to come together. She wished Evidence had just taken his seat on the council but he had thrown her a bit of a curve ball. She glanced over at the Guardian, sitting in his seat and looking as calm as any predator eying its prey. She knew secrets about him but he also knew ones about her.

Watcher and Sprite had joined her because they shared in her vision. To build a city that could draw a line against the Seers. Evidence had to be convinced to join and it had in the end been a bit of a bargain for both sides. She still wondered if Evidence had gotten the better deal. As dinner was nearing an end she decided it was best to not push this forward too quickly. She stood up and motioned for silence.

"Sadly I must insist on one bit of business for tonight. Traditionally a city is ran by five councilors. Due to the declaration of the Guardians we are one member short. It has been suggested that we open up the fifth seat to an apostate. After watching the actions of everyone tonight I am prepared to put it forth as a motion before the council.

I propose that the fifth seat be filled by Remiel Tabris until such time as he joins an order, or the Guardians decide to take their traditional seat. Do any of the three other councilors have an objection?"

Kaien considered Remiel, for a moment and nodded. He and Chimera had alread discussed a friendly sparring contest, He was tired of dealing with the scourge every time he went for bigger effects, perhaps she would be able to offer pointers not thought of by other Arrows.

"I will second this proposal." He looked at Remiel and nodded. "Unless you would rather not join this Council."

Remiel's head snapped up from where he'd been idly conversing with Janet and Ren, his eyes going wide. "Um...well...," he ran a hand through his hair, looking completely off-guard.

He thought for a moment and then shrugged, "I can do it, I suppose. It does seem a little odd; I mean, what exactly am I representing on the Council? The only thing apostates have in common is being apostates. We don't even get to claim to be the anarchs or rebels of the bunch." He gave Firerat a self-depreciating grin at that. "But, if you want a fifth councilor until the Guardians put someone forth, I can do that."

Next to Remiel, Janet started to clap. "Congrats, Remiel," she said, her tone sarcastic and bemused at the same time. She was clearly enjoying this - and clearly expecting others to start clapping, too. The hard, sardonic look in her eyes said that she knew that this was no honor.

• 4 weeks later...

Kinsei didn't join in the clapping. Remiel might take the post, but Kinsei vervently hoped that he realised that the frontline against the Seers was no place for a Sleepwalker or worse a novice that would mock what they were doing as 'Janet' did. He sighed slightly and examined the others around the table, with the attitude she had shown here and her actions it was likely that she wouldn't last long. The best he could do would be to try to insure that he was caught in the collateral from it.

Archived