World of Darkness: Balance of Power - [Mage] Welcome to Kansas City

Daven_OOC NPCRM #1

Dec 31st, 7 P.M.

Many servants ran around making sure the room was perfect. Though twelve tables had been set up Chimera did not believe they would be needed. She stood in the center of the room giving directions and orders. If even half those tables were to be full tonight it would be a grand accomplishment. Sprite was "fluttering" about the room, often getting in peoples ways. Though she had already been a mage for nearly a decade Sprite was still only 17 and becoming an Acanthus had not help to settle her down at all. She came up to Chimera practically bouncing.

"How much longer until they arrive? Do you think there will be a lot? Watcher says he expects at least a dozen. Do you really think there will be that many?"

Chimera gave the girl a patient smile. "If only there are. I am sure that Watcher has his reasons for believing that and we should not doubt them. Only time will till though the real number."

Sprite giggled. "Don't forget about fate."

It wasn't the first time Chimera thought the girls shadow name truly fitting. She did remind Chimera often of fairies in legends and stories. In truth the girl was excited because much of this was possible because of her actions. For months she had been weaving fate spells on a near global level to aid in mages relocating their lives to this city. "Where is Watcher? And where the hell is Evidence?"

As if on cue a man seemed to appear out of the throng of servants running around. He approached and nodded to the two of them.

"Mr. Evidence was not available for the night. He had to work. He asked me to come and bear witness for him and report the nights activities."

Chimera tried to keep the relief from showing too much. Evidence was a frightening man to have around. Trial, the mage before her, was not as unnerving but she did have concerns with how cut off he seemed from general emotion. Trial often visited the cabal in Evidence's absence. She had asked once how long he had been working with Evidence and Trial had simply responded that he performed services from time to time for "Mr." Evidence. She did not wish to know what those services were.

Every man and woman here working was a sleep walker. Watcher collected them and brought them in to his service when ever he could. So none of them showed any surprise when Chimera quickly brought up her mage sight to make sure all the protective spells on the area were still in place. Sprite had no spells up at the moment protecting her self. Trial had several. The room it self was almost glowing with the protections that had been put in place by all four members of the shadow council. Watcher's butler acting as tonight's Maitre D' approached.

"All the places are set and we are prepared to serve drinks and take food orders." Chimera nodded and walked to the head table with Sprite and Trial in tow. Taking a seat she smoothed out her business suit and looked down at the agenda for the night. With any luck the letters they sent out using Sprite's magic had found their intended individuals and soon the guest would be arriving.

It wasn't long before two young men had entered together. Both were dressed in dress that would definitely be considered casual, but at the lowest minimum, could pass for formal. Those among the hosts were well aware that this was for the most part, the best that their first two visitors could afford.

The leader of the two was dark-haired, and portraying a wary but polite grin on his face as he entered the reception.

C_71_article_1107367_image_list_image_li

The other was more cautious, but obviously not trying to give a wrong impression off. His hair was short-cut and black, and he appeared much like some imagined a gangbanger would be.

Charlie turned to regard Carl, and reassuringly told him, "Mind grabbing our place?" Carl, a little more calmed walked off to a table and sat down for the two of them. Charlie, aka Firerat to the Mages, regarded his Sleepwalker friend before pivoting and respectfully coming before Sprite and Chimera.

"Thanks for the invite. How many new arrivals are we talking 'bout?"

If anyone were to scan his aura though, they would mysteriously not see a willworker, at least from that angle. A total blank, they would draw on him.

Click to reveal..

Charlie has used Transform Aura

(07:38:11) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 8d10 and gets 10,2,5,10,9,7,6,3.

(07:38:22) (Firerat): pop 10's:

(07:38:28) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 2d10 and gets 9,5.

4 sux: Spell Potency of 4

She wasn't too far behind Charlie, she came just after him, and her eyes glanced over the room as she did. She had two spells that she had woven, one at the beginning of the day, for protection, and the other so that she could read the flow of magic while she was present. She was aware of the flow of power though the room, she saw the intricate flow of life, and the mana in all living things with her mage sight active. For those who noticed her arrival, she seemed in excellent health, as one might expect of a master of life.

She just entered the room as Charlie was asking his question, and wasn't quite close enough to hear the question initially. As a member of the Mysterium, she especially was interested in meeting the watcher, but it seemed he wasn't present.. though with mages, that could be misleading.

She walked up toward the other mages, mostly noting Chimera and Sprite. "Hello."

Click to reveal..

(06:38:59) (Minerva): Organic Resilience - Cast at the begining of the day, made lasting for one mana

(06:42:03) ChatBot: (Minerva) rolls 8d10 and gets 1,4,8,9,1,4,3,5.

Spell Potency: 2

(06:46:16) (Minerva): Pulse of the Living World [Mage Sight, Life Based]

(06:46:38) ChatBot: (Minerva) rolls 11d10 and gets 8,6,8,8,5,2,5,7,10,7,9.

Spell Potency: 5

Chimera gave the new arrivals a welcoming smile.

"Welcome, I am Chimera. Currently we are unsure how many of the awakened will show up. We are giving everyone an hour to arrive and have done all we can to ensure nothing hinders their arrival. If I could have your names and any cabal affiliations. Tonight we are going to be dealing with getting a proper concilium set up in the city."

Sprite stood up and held out her hand to each of them. "Hi! My name is Sprite. At least that is what everyone calls me on account of I am just so cute! The quiet guy who keeps writing over there is Trial." At mention of his name the man looked up from his note pad and merely nodded to the two before looking back down.

Charlie shook the hand offered and then stepped back to give room to the other guest. "Firerat, no Cabal." Not that he expected it, but he hoped the hosts would recognize his name, at least to spare the need to point out that he was not a newcomer to the city he'd lived his whole life in.

Then, despite the interference building from dampening his Aura and his morning spell of daily protection by luck, he opened his mind out to sweep through the currents of the Supernal and focus on the aura of the newcomer, reading her signature for future reference.

The sudden exposure overwhelmed him for a moment, taking slightly longer to get the 'read' he wanted.

Click to reveal..

(15:47:41) (Firerat): casting Fortune's Protection for the day, costing 1 Mana, added in here because I forgot in the previous post:

(15:48:18) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 5d10 and gets 2,10,1,3,6.

(15:48:29) (Firerat): popping 10's

(15:48:34) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 1d10 and gets 7.

Spell Potency: 1

(15:50:14) (Firerat): Supernal Vision, -1 for Spell Tolerance exceeding

(15:52:01) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 8d10 and gets 10,10,3,4,2,2,2,7.

(15:52:12) (Firerat): popping 10's:

(15:52:17) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 2d10 and gets 4,3.

Spell Potency: 2

(15:57:23) (Firerat): Int+Occult for reading Minerva's aura identity

(15:57:28) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 4d10 and gets 5,3,2,4.

(15:57:38) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 4d10 and gets 3,1,1,9.

Brandon.jpgA blond man walked in holding the hand of slightly shorter brunette man, both of them looking around the gathering a little nervously. For those with the vision to see, the blond man pulsed with supernal energies while the man next to him gave an off an aura just bright enough to mark him as something more than mere mortal.In his other hand, the blond man was holding a creased letter; once he spotted Chimera and Sprite he made his way over, disengaging from the brunette in order to hold out a friendly hand to the two of them. Unlike the other mages in the room, the blond had no spells woven about him or his companion.

"Uh, hi." He smiled, looking caught between trying to be himself and feeling like he was a job interview. "I'm Remiel. This is Rei." The brunette man nodded and watched the room with an intimidated curiosity. He murmured "Nice to meet you, ladies," without ever quite lifting his eyes enough to catch theirs.

Kaien made his arrival quietly. He let the others introduce themselves before he nodded to Chimera the host. "Raiden, no current affiliation."

Click to reveal..
Supernal vision

(19:48:03) ChatBot: (Kaien) rolls 7d10 and gets 2,7,6,2,7,2,6. 0 success

Unseen Shield

(19:48:27) ChatBot: (Kaien) rolls 7d10 and gets 5,10,8,3,2,1,9.

2 success Spell potency (2)

He nodded to the others present, and regarded Charlie with a faint smile. "I was wondering if you were going to be here."

He regarded the others present with a nod. "Nice to meet all of you."

Mike entered still with damp hair but dressed in a simple dark smart/casual jacket, shirt and slacks. A lingering impression of death or decay is offset by his obvious good health. Moving with smooth grace of a dancer, gymnast or martial artist he waited for Raiden to finish before approaching an giving the two resident mages a slight bow before offering them his hand and a smile.

"Good evening, I'm sorry if I'm a little late. You can call me Kinsei."

His required introduction done, after any responce from the ladies, he moves to a table near the others gathered so far.

Click to reveal..

Grim sight before entering location.

(02:58:08) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 8d10 and gets 1,7,2,2,3,1,1,2.

Fail! - Recast

(02:58:25) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 8d10 and gets 7,8,2,9,7,5,8,4.

3 sux

Daily Entropic Guard

(03:01:00) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 10d10 and gets 10,1,1,5,1,2,5,7,7,4.

1 Sux, but still 3 Armour smile

Sense Life

(03:26:47) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 7d10 and gets 6,10,3,6,3,7,5.

(03:26:54) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

1 sux, useles radius - recast

(03:27:07) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 7d10 and gets 4,10,2,6,7,8,6.

(03:27:13) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 1d10 and gets 9.

3sux = 4 yard radius around himself he detects people.

She glanced over and nodded at the other mages, at the moment, then she smiled slightly. "Minerva, of the Thyrsis Path, and the Mysterium Order. No current cabal affiliation." She glanced over at Firerat and Raiden for a moment and smiled slightly, before looking back to the mages who had made this invitation. She was wearing jeans and a white blouse, with boots, with some feather ornaments braided into her hair, and a crystal pendant hanging on a golden chain around her neck. Between that the rose tattoo on her cheek, she had deticated tools for her various arcanium. The staff she hadn't brought at all, sense it was a much more formal tool, and a bit harder to explain to folks.

Firerat scrutinized Remiel in both Supernal and normal views, noting his aura for later purpose. The blond mage was obviously new, and needed someone, he noted for later, to give the boy a talking to about being prepared.

Nodding, and slipping over to Raiden, he whispered over, "I got plenty of reasons. Not the least being that somebody's got to represent the FC peeps."

Though allies certainly and fellow Obrimos, Raiden, an Arrow, was quite aware that Charlie was part of the Free Council. Furthermore, he was the only actual Free Council member in the city, making his statement a bit more toward the future rather than the now.

Click to reveal..

(14:23:44) (Firerat): Studying Remiel's aura identity

(14:23:48) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 4d10 and gets 5,1,2,10.

(14:24:02) (Firerat): Studying Mike's aura identity

(14:24:06) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 4d10 and gets 9,4,5,7.

Chimera gave simple greetings to each in turn. Making notes of their names and their orders. Sprite went from person to person asking questions about where they were from. Trial continued writing without really looking up. In the back of the room, at the top of some stairs a elderly man looked down on the room. Slowly he started down the stairs leaning heavily on his cane.

Watcher was known far and wide among Mysterium. Currently one of the oldest living he was quickly approaching his ninetieth birthday. As he approached the table Sprite quickly pulled out a chair for him. Watcher sat down and gave Sprites hand a pat.

"Hello everyone. Sorry I am a little late, these bones need to lay down sometimes."

Chimera smiled at him and looked to the rest. "If everyone could find tables we should be able to begin shortly." At that Trial stood up from the table that seemed to be mainly reserved for the Shadow Council. He walked to the next table and sat back down and continued writing.

A middle aged man dressed in a business suit entered the room. Rather than introducing him self he walked to the furthest table out and sat down. The servers started going around collecting drink orders and handing out menus for the evening.

Meanwhile...

"No, I know," Lynette Elrich said to her cellphone. She was holding it tightly against her ear and cheek because she had to do it with just one hand. Her other hand was clenching the handworn leather cover of her beat up old Dodge car as she kept it on the road while driving far too fast. She sighed at something the person on the other end said and shook her head, "Of course I'm not driving. It's...the television. I have it up too loud. Well I'm not sitting close, my ears'll be fine. Okay. No, I should go too. Thanks for calling...yeah, bye. Bye!"

She dropped the phone and grabbed the wheel, sneaking a peek at her watch as she did.

Damnit! Who's going to take a time mage seriously if I'm LATE?!

-------

She came in the door to the gathering at a brisk powerwalk; a gait that suggested she meant business and wasn't letting anything get in her way, and not at all that she was late and was trying not to actually SPRINT in...or so she hoped.

"Tinea," she said to the greeter, struggling to regain an air of enigma. "Mysterium.

Her attempt to look wizardly wasn't helped by her rather pedestrian appearance. She wore a long white dress with little orange flowers printed all over it and a thin billowy skirt that wafted around her legs like a cloud when she moved and settled just above her ankles when she stood still. She was pretty in a plainfaced sort of way, but nothing the average person would glance at twice in a bar. Her hair was a little too brown, a little too trapped between being tied back with a violently violet kerchief and being unkempt...trying for the appeal of both, and succeeding at neither. Her eyes weren't striking either...just ordinary brown, with little in the way of makeup to set them off.

Tinea was, for want of a better word, a bit mousy looking. But not a well groomed laboratory mouse. This would be more like a frazzled junkyard mouse that was always ready to flee from the sound of a cat...or maybe even better, the mouse of a mad scientist; a bit wild in the eye and in need of a comb through its fur. This assessment was reinforced when she skittered an empty seat and quickly sat down, giving everyone a self-conscious, 'I know I'm naughty' smile.

She gave Watcher a respectful nod, of everyone here, she has the most respect for him, as she regarded him as one might a wise elder, someone with deep repositories of wisdom and knowledge. Of course, the knowledge and power of the other mages present should not be disregarded. But she hoped for a chance to speak with Watch, at some time in the future, now, however, was not that time.

When the young woman who introduced herself as Tinea entered, introduced herself and took a seat. She looked over, though she'd been there longer, she was still looking over the others, having not yet taken a seat. The fact Tinea had introduced herself as part of the Mysterium however, was what decided her, and she walked over and took the seat next to her. "A pleasure to meet a sister in the Order." She offered Tinea her hand. "I'm called Minerva."

As everyone began to settle Trial's phone range loudly from his pocket. He pulled it out and glanced at the number before flipping the phone open. Putting to his ear he listened for a moment.

"Understood."

Standing up he nodded to everyone then walked out the door. Chimera watched him leave with a confused frown. Turning to Watcher and Sprite. "Do you think we should start?"

Watcher gave a nod and Sprite nodded several times, looking barely able to keep her seat. Chimera stood and raised her hand slightly. Everyone felt a spell being cast and those with sights up saw a very minor forces effect spread over the room. The sounds of glasses clinking and servers walking around slowly lowered until the only sound that would carry very far was voices.

"Welcome everyone to the first meeting of the consilium of Kansas City. I am Chimera, Thyrsus of the Silver Ladder and leader of the Shadow Council. To my right are Watcher, Mastigos of the Mysterium, and Sprite, Acanthus of the Adamantine Arrow. There is one more member of our cabal but he is...Evidence!"

The room followed Chimera's gaze to the door. In it stood a man completely covered in black clothe from the top of his shoes all the way to the top of his head. The only part not covered being the area around his eyes. Although he had no aura to scrutinize there were several spells covering the man like another set of clothing. He stood there looking around the room for a moment. Finally he walked across the room and took the vacant seat to Chimera's left. Although Chimera smiled to her last cabal mate everyone could see she stood a bit stiffer now. Watcher regarded the man through half closed eyes. Sprite seemed unaware or uncaring.

"Everyone this is the last member of our cabal. Evidence, Moros, Guardian of the Veil. According to what I have been told so far we are the only cabal within the city. If that is true I highly suggest that those of you in this room consider speaking to each other and forming one or two. With everything going on in the world it is dangerous for us to be on our own.

The reason this meeting was called was for the primary purpose of sitting up the Concilium. Forming the council and naming a Hierarch. That way the Councilors can work together to form the Lex Magica. Without a Lex Magica this city is without laws. Before we consult among our orders to decide councilors I am stepping forward for the position of Hierarch. If any others believe they should be considered for the position please feel free to stand up and present your self."

With that Chimera sat back down and waited to see if anyone else stood up.

Charlie stayed put. He certainly was not going to reach for the Hierarch's spot. Carl leaned over and whispered to his pal, "Is that the title for the head honcho?"

Charlie gave a short, quiet nod, but continued to watch and worry a little. He was the only member of the Free Council, but he felt nervous about possibly being a Councilor. Then again, they could pass over the order entirely, pretend he wasn't there and slap him in the face metaphorically.

They better not... A snub will be no laughing joke once more of the FCs get here...

Kinsei had spent the time until now looking around the room both to evaluate the others there and to see if there was anyone he recognised from the Arrows, other than the famous Sprite of course. He spots one other member of his Order, the

mage that arrived just before him. Raiden he thought the name was, although he wasn't sure, have to have a word later.

To be sure of recognising everyone he checked their auras as well and had turned his attention back to his menu when Chimera started the speech. He smiled to himself, there was no way he would be putting himself up for that job, then looked around to see if anyone else thought themselves up to the task.

Click to reveal..

Int + Occult roll to recognise/remember other Adamantine Arrows.

(19:25:39) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,10,1,2.

(19:25:48) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 2d10 and gets 5,3.

2 sux - Recognises Raiden

Aura checking - Int+Occult = 4d10

Raiden

(20:04:24) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 2,5,3,1.

(20:04:31) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 8,5,4,5.

1 sux - Identity

Firerat

(20:04:45) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 5,10,5,8.

(20:04:50) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

1 sux - Identity

Minerva

(20:04:56) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 1,6,10,9.

(20:05:02) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 1d10 and gets 5.

2 sux - Identity

Tinea

(20:09:26) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 9,8,6,10.

(20:09:31) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 1d10 and gets 5.

3 sux

Remiel

(20:10:13) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,9,5,8.

(20:10:19) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

3 sux

She looked over Chimera a moment, then nodded slightly, she didn't what the position, in her mind it would be more of a headache then an honor. Besides, Chimera and the Shadow Council were the only cabal yet to form in the city, and were among the most powerful mages in the city, and contained the all of the Diamond Orders within their ranks. She did however speak up, in support of Chimera. "If your willing to take on the responsibilities and headaches of the position, Chimera, you have my support, for what it's worth."

Charlie had been more interested at the moment in finishing his aura checkups, this time on the new Mysterium and Kinsei. At Caitlyn's words he spoke up too. "With all honestly, I don't think anyone appears to also want the Hierarch's place. Let's declare the matter settled and move on to the determination of other positions then?"

Click to reveal..

(17:41:23) (Firerat): int+occult

Kinsei

(17:41:27) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 4d10 and gets 6,3,8,7.

Tinea

(17:41:37) ChatBot: (Firerat) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,10,9,6.

Ren leaned over to Remiel and whispered a quiet question; Remiel answered in the same nearly-silent tone. The two went back and forth for a moment, by turns confused, disbelieving and eventually amused. Remiel shook his head when Chimera's eyes swept over, signally that he had no interest in her position. The two did as most of the others were and took the chance to look around at everyone gathered.

"Minerva," said the mage named Tinea as she daintily accepted the offered hand and shook it. "Romanization of Athena. Wisdom. Music. Owls. Nice to meet you. This is quite something isn't it?"

She waved a hand to indicate the meeting in progress.

"It's not every day one has the chance to see a new hierarchy forming. Who will step forward, who will hang back hoping for others to put them forward? Who will keep their heads down, wanting no part of it?"

Chimera stood back up. "Well then it is decided. I believe they are getting ready to take food orders. Once that is done I would request the Mysterium, the Free Council, the Guardians, and the Arrow gather together and discuss who will represent them on the council." Evidence stood up and leaned over, whispering in Chimera's ear. She looked a bit shocked and two talked softly for a minute before he sat back down.

"It seems that Evidence as the ranking Guardian of the Veil has declared that the Guardians have no need for a seat on the council. Therefore the suggestion has been put forth to have a seat for the apostates. Once the other three councilors are chosen we will discuss this."

With that Watcher stood up, leaning heavily on his cane. "If the Mysterium would join me in the atrium once you place your orders for dinner." He turned and hobbled to the back of the room where he exited through a glass door. After that Sprite stood up, though she was trying to look serious it was clear that it was mainly an act.

"Any of you, who have the supreme honor of serving in the great order of the Adamantine Arrow, may follow my cute little butt for our meeting." With that she mocked marched through a door in to a side room with a table.

Evidence remained seated while the other two left. Finally he spoke up. "Any Guardians who have issue with my declaration can speak to me after the concilium is done meeting. We have our own duties in this city and they do not involve wasting time sitting at a table and discussing problems. They involve solving those problems."

Chimera spoke one last time before sitting back down. As she spoke she motioned to one of the doors. "That room has been prepared for the Free Council." As she said this the man in the back of the room who had yet to say anything stood up and walked in to the room.

Click to reveal..
For ease of reading I will be creating threads for the three orders that split off. If anyone else wants to gather a group in a side room please let me know I will create a thread for that and once the thread you are involved in closes simply post here your character returning to the main room.

Ren leaned over and whispered again to Remiel, but the blond mage shook his head and motioned that they'd be staying in the room. He watched the others filter out to their respective Orders, grinning and chuckling at the aptly named Sprite's instructions.

He leaned his head closer to Ren's, speaking softly and quickly, motioning to each break-out room in turn.

Firerat re-entered the room, with a nervous but prepared grin on his face. He walked over to Chimera and nodded. "Well, you're looking at the Councilor from the Free Council. Promise to keep the inter-order disputes to a minimum until we've got a secure position? Then all bets can be off." he joked at the end.

With nothing being said to halt him Kinsei left the Arrows room and returned to the room. Once there he simply returns to his seat and watches the others while he waits for his food and the next stage of the meeting.

Click to reveal..

Will examine the aura of the other Free Council guy when he returns to the room.

(18:34:36) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 9,7,2,6.

1 sux - will recognise his aura - assuming he is showing one?

(18:34:42) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,4,6,9.

(18:34:46) ChatBot: (Kinsei) rolls 1d10 and gets 3.

2 sux towards working out his Arcana...

Evidence looked the mage up and down. His eyes gave no hint of recognizing the humor.

"You will keep the peace as a councilor of this city. No matter what."

Chimera glanced at Evidence then smiled at Firerat. "I am sure we will find ways to work together. You are the first selected though I am guessing the Arrow member will reveal themselves shortly. We can only hope the Mysterium will not take too long. If would have a seat, food should be ready soon and then we can get to business."

Kinsei chips in, "Raiden was chosen by the Arrows, he should be out in a moment."

He turns to the young Firerat with a grin, "Congratulations, I guess. I'm Kinsei by the way, in case you didn't catch it earlier. Have you been a mage or in the city for long?"

Charlie flashed a grin of congratulations to Raiden. "Well, Raiden and I are the only mages in all of Kansas City who have been around before the Shadow Council. 'Course, Raiden's been here for a couple decades, and I all of my life."

His eyes suddenly flickered over to Remiel for a moment. Firerat sighed quietly. Turning back to the group, his expression was a little more serious. "Mr. Remiel, I suspect, is not using a shadow name, nor does he appear to have much experience. I think we may have to leave out a seat until we can fill the gap with someone willing and experienced."

Remiel and his companion had ordered their dinners, just as the rest of them had, but the staff had kindly brought them out a bread service while they waited on the others. They were talking quietly and making short work of the boule of sourdough and the olive oil pesto while the Orders hashed out their internal pecking orders and the winner(?) back out to represent them on to the Consilium. The two seemed amused at their quiet conversation, smiling and occasionally chuckling at a choice comment.

Remiel watched the people filter back in from their meetings, keeping his posture relaxed but watching the emerging social and political patterns being established. He noticed the attention being drawn in his direction and just arched a brow at the knot of mages. It wasn't unfriendly but it did get across the attitude that if they were talking about him they should have the decency to talk to him. And he wasn't getting up.

Charlie caught the look from Remiel from across the room and seemed slightly more annoyed than before. The days of wine and roses are far gone, man. Muttering an excuse me, Firerat made his way over to Remiel's table.

The look on his face could be compared to a veteran in the Civil War seeing a new recruit mess up his loading. "Do you mind if I pull up a chair and have a chat with you?"

Remiel gave Ren a glance, then shrugged and set the piece of bread he'd been eating down, motioning to a nearby chair. "As you will." He motioined to the plate of bread and oil, "If you'd like any, please go ahead. They said it'd be a bit longer before dinner was out."

Ren watched the two of them quietly, his light eyes curious but cautious, and kept himself as unobtrusive as possible.

Sprite walked out quietly looking around. She sighed when she saw no food on the tables besides some bread. Walking over to the table the three were at she grabbed a piece of bread and smiled at the two sitting next to each other.

"You two are cute."

With that she walked back over to the head table and sat down while she munched on the bread. Noting Evidence just looking at her she looked around for a second and then just held up her hands. "What?!"

Evidence shook his head and went back to watching the room. "Still a child."

Ren ducked his head at Sprite's comment, his cheeks flushing as he murmured something about "strange Mid-Westerners"; it didn't sound offended, only mildly embarrassed. Remiel smiled at his companion, his expression clearly showing that the two were more than 'just friends'.

That expression cooled considerably as he turned back to the other man sitting at the table. Appearing neither cocky nor intimidated, he returned the deadpan gaze with his own clear and steady countenance. "That is an both an invasive and rude question coming from someone who has yet to have the courtesy to even introduce himself."

The tone was mild and not in the least defensive, but the social temperature at the table had definitely tumbled into "chilly". Ren shot Firerat a glance, giving the Free Council mage a once-over, but quickly looked away, leaving the conversation to the two of them.

"Firerat. And we'll call that a case study." Firerat struck back. "Never give out your real name to other Mages." He paused, tone changing to a more balanced and manageable level. "Do you know what a sympathetic spell is?" The look now given was simple, frank and clear that he expected up-front answers.

There was a dead silence at the table for a moment, and then Ren snorted and started laughing. He flushed again and then mumbled, "Uh...sorry....bread got...um...y'know, I'm gonna go to the bathroom..."

With that excuse, he stood and wandered over to one of the staff, getting directions and disappearing out of sight. Remiel continued his level regard of 'Firerat' and arched a brow. "A case study indeed. Although apparently one of arrogance."

He let that hang for a moment while he ripped another small piece of bread off the loaf and dipped it in the oil. "Remiel," he began, "is the angel of Awakening, representing the infinite divine love and wisdom of the Creator. Tabris is the angel of Self Determination, safeguarding the greatest gift the Creator has given to man: the gift of free will, of choice." His voice was low and rich, the cadence and timing of each word nearly hypnotic, "These were the angels that were my companions and teachers as I traveled the path to the Watchtower of the Golden Key, and so I take their names to honor them. Tell me, Firerat," he said evenly, "what do you honor with your Shadow Name?"

Firerat paused, then let a slight smile appear on his face. He seemed to have ignored the question entirely. "So you do know something after all." he replied in the same even tone. "But still... I remain uneasy. You have no protective spells, no Mage Sight, nothing prepared. I promise that in exchange for your rationale, I will tell you what I honor." His voice took on a note of concern.

Remiel shook his head and chuckled, though the lines of irritation were still plain on his face. "Y'know, you could just ask. Not everything in life has to be a bargain or tit for tat, and I am not so enamored of you that I need to trade away something just to know why you picked your Shadow Name. It's yours. You don't have to justify it to others unless you want to."

He shrugged. "Do you not trust the Consillium? The building is well warded, the Shadow Council an established cabal that is attempting to create a city council and no doubt a Lex Magica so that there is a law here for us to abide by. Why, then, would I insult their hospitality or cast suspicion on their ability to safeguard a meeting by showing up here covered in half a dozen spells? This isn't some Awakened workshop or spell seminar, it's a meeting to talk. Surely the dozen or so of us can do that civilly without a curtain of spells between us."

"In the last Consilium that I was a member of," he continued, his tone softening somewhat as the Obrimos was mostly incapable of holding on to anger or negative emotions long, "it was part of the Lex Magica that only two Orders would be allowed to have active magic on their persons while in the Consilium: the Adamantine Arrow and the Guardians of the Veil. This would protect the Consilium from the outside world and the outside world from the Consilium. It was an...elegant...arrangement and ensured that the mages gathered remembered that magic was and is only one solution of many. And preferably the solution of last resort, not first."

"The name of the gang." Charlie mumurred, caught in quiet, pained memory. "The Firerats..." Suddenly, he snapped back into focus. "Sorry." he sheepishly apologized. "And I misjudged you, sorry about that as well."

"Anyway... It's not that I don't trust the Consilium. Maybe slightly," he amended, "for politics was never a fair game. I'm looking ahead. The fact is, we're in a race against the Seers to get set up and ready first. I want to be ready. I don't want to get in the habit of being unprepared. I want to know who's on our side, what they can do, and have my basic protection up."

He gestured to the Mages across the room to focus a point. "Besides, if you actually put on your Mage Sight, you'll see everyone has something on, not just me. The Shadow Council has at least double the spells per person that I do. It's practicality, not distrust."

Archived