Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - Vacation in Sierra Leone

Mech

• 2 weeks later...

Elspeth slowly nodded, "I don't like it but fine. I will stay here. I really don't think I could go in there and not do something."

She moved back to her chair at the table and sat down with a resigned sigh. "I think one of the hardest things about being Queen is knowing that I could just sweep in and level the entire place with my nova abilities, but that in the end it would just make things worse for my people because then the UN would take action and impose real sanctions." She looked at her three guests, "So I trade the suffering of a relative handful for the rest of the population." She fought down the urge to telepathically hurl her glass at the wall, but that wouldn't be 'charming' so she didn't.

"You guys do what you have to then when you are done I'll edit it all together and we can go from there."

• 4 weeks later...

She listened quietly to what Elspeth had to say, saying nothing at all herself, the frustrations of being a ruler were not anything she had ever wanted. Now, listening to Elspeth discribe her problems and difficulties, she was even more sure that she never wanted to be a ruler.

Elspeth was only a few years younger then her anyway, and she felt a somewhat sisterly feeling toward the other nova, even though she barely knew the woman. A part of that, of course, was the younger nova's shear charisma, it was impossible not to like her, really. But Aurora could actually insulate herself somewhat to the effects of such nova capabilities. Another part of it, however, was a sense of kinship, as woman to woman, and as a child born of nova's herself. In a number of ways, she felt closer to Elspeth then she did to humanity in general.

Her perceptions being sharper then humanily possible, she could practically see the other Nova's frustration. "I'm sorry they are making things so difficult for you, Elspeth, for what it's worth, you have my sympathy." She paused. "And, if you have any thoughts in any way I can help, let me know, I'm sure that Conner would agree with me on that."

Archived