Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - Vacation in Sierra Leone

Mech

They packed relatively light. Connor had made sure he had several cameras. Ostensibly this visit was to see Elspeth and Darres, and to unwind after filming the movie. However, Connor had his own plans, looking to witness for himself the nature of the conditions at the mines.

"You ready to go Aurora?"

She hadn't chosen much, she tended to travel light, with what she could carry or wear. At the moment, she was wearing her eufiber suit, which had taken the form of a lovely black dress, that she liked, with a bracelet that she liked as well. The fact that it was metal and studded with diamonds, made it useful in other ways, should she need to alter her physical structure. Though she would try and keep that kind of thing to nessary only, as she didn't want to influence her son too heavily. "Ready." She responded to Conner's question, coming out where he could see her. "How do you like it?"

229243.jpg

"Beautiful as always. Just like you." He smiled and nodded Let's go." His sisters would be watching the house and dogsitting. There was a flash of light an the nova actor was vanished, reappearing in Sierra Leone, specifically near the entrance of the Imperial grand hotel. He waited for Aurora before going inside.

It took her no more then a second herself, though she did pause to make certain that nothing was happening in Seattle, then she was gone with a flash, after a momentary wink at his sisters, who had just opened the front door.

A moment later, she was standing at Conner's side, looking over the hotel, and then she laughed. "You know, I don't think I've ever been to Africa before, and i've even been out in space now and again."

"I've done alot of traveling with my career." He lead her inside where they were quickly and discreetly shown to their room.

"Now we settle in abit and change, then we go pay a visit to the Princess." He'd sent ahead to her by PM that they'd be coming. Though he hadn't said when.

"I know Ayato's coming too, no telling if anyone comes with him. Chances are he'll come alone."

"We'll see. I think you're right though about her being queen. I just still think of her as either the white princess or simply Elspeth. She also has a nova Knight, Darres. He's a pretty okay guy, always seemed a little uptight to me though."

He unpacks his bag and smiles, his Eufiber becoming a black suit suitable for meeting royalty. "She's a good person You'll like her."

Elspeth was notified immediately that two novas had arrived at the Imperial Grand Hotel and their descriptions. She had standing orders that any novas were to be reported. She did have at least two elites with personal grudges against her and someday they would sneak in and try to take some revenge.

Right this moment those things were just distractions. The two novas were Connor and his fiancee. What was occupying Elspeth was the infuriating Opnet reply from Bastion. That has-been could really get on her nerves. How dare he accuse her of making up the bribery of the UN officials. Did he really think she would say such a thing without knowing it to be true? She had scanned their minds after the hearing and knew it for a fact. Of course she couldn't tell how she knew since there were privacy laws against reading peoples minds... but still, he should know better, and show more respect!

True be told the Queen of Sierra Leone was in a bit of a snit over the whole situation. Of course there where things she could do to toss the diamond miners out. She could give them all such nightmares that they would flee the country and the very mention of Sierra Leone would send them into cold sweats for the rest of their lives, but that was hardly subtle or politically correct. She wasn't in this to have her way in the short term, she needed to do this right so that long term her people would be safe against reprisals. What she really needed was to get Utopia out of the way so she could meet with the representatives of the corporations and 'negotiate'. She would even be willing to let them stay in the country if they made reforms and did business fairly. That wasn't what they wanted however, that would seriously cut into their profit margins. Utopia on the other hand didn't care. If it were anyone other than Elspeth running the country they'd be the first ones in demanding the Corporations cleaned up their acts, and that just pissed her off.

For now she'd wait a little longer. Hopefully the visit from the two prominent novas would spell a turning point in the situation.

Aurora considered her own outfit for a few moments, then decided it was fine, and fit well with Conner's black suit. "I'm looking forward to it." She checked herself in the mirror a moment, just to make sure that she looked the way she wanted to. Unlike someone who was fully human, every aspect of her appearance, from skin, to eyes, to her hair right down to her clothing was alterable at the slightest desire. However, she didn't really see anything she wanted to change, as she looked herself over.

She wanted to make a good impression on Elspeth, or at least, hoped that she could. It was a bit odd, the girl was younger then she was, but her life had been a lot more difficult, not to mention exciting in it's own way. Of course, Elspeth likely knew quite well the curse of living in interesting times. All this passed through her mind in moments, before she turned and smiled at Conner a moment. "I'm ready, let's go see the Queen."

• 1 month later...

The visitors arrived at the 'palace' late in the afternoon when the heat of the day was still oppressive, but starting to break. Despite the heat the gardens surrounding the Queens' residence were of a classical English design and concealed the inner grounds from the streets of the city. It was only as one entered the inner grounds that the large mansion came into view. It was three stories and of a neo-classical design, similar to the White House in the United States, but of un-painted stone. Originally the building had been commissioned for an English noble during the colonial era. It had fallen to ruin for several decades during the 20th century and even been gutted by a fire leaving the little more than a shell of stonework. During her parent's reign they had taken on the restoration and completed it shortly before the coup. During the military dictatorship Jarutu had sold off most of the artwork and housed his sycophants and officers in many of the rooms and generally let the place become run down. In the months since Elspeth had regained the palace, she had restored it yet again to it's former glory although there were still many empty niches and places where art or statues were yet to be replaced.

As the visitors were greeted and shown into the home it was obvious that the place was warm and inviting. Elspeth had seen to it that a dinner fit for novas was prepared for her friends arrival. The cooks had spent the afternoon getting ready and when the hour finally came were shown into the small dinning room, it was a more intimate setting than the grand hall. Once seated Elspeth swept into the room making a queenly entrance, but greeted the trio as the friends they were, Darres at her side.

"Thank you all for coming. I'm sorry we had to rush out so quickly after the Premier, but things here were pretty tense at the time."

"It is no worry..." It became apparent quickly that Connor was simply at a loss how to address Elspeth in her home in her Nation.

He nodded. "It happens, Highness, we all have our commitments we must keep. I was just happy you could both make it. Both to the shoot and to the Premier itself."

Ayato has no troubles. He smiles. "The girls couldn't make it this time, or rather their Mother wouldn't let them come. They can't push too far there yet."

The young nova was in high spirits despite the reason for his visit. "I'd have loved to bring more help, but I don't quite know exactly what the best course is going to be here. Mother has her own conditions for MY presence."

Aurora bowed, and smiled at the young Queen as she approached her from beside Conner. "It's a pleasure to meet you, your Magesty." She had noticed the surroundings as she had walked though, and she had an idea or two she wanted to bring up, but she waited for the Queen to reply, before saying anything else.

Elspeth smiled at her guests. "Please, we're in private here, call me Elspeth. We were friends before I ever became Queen."

"I would ask how your trip was, but that doesn't really apply to us now does it?" she grinned. "So, I'm thinking of having a big party for my 16th birthday next year. You guys are invited. Except for the Movie I haven't have much fun since my party way back when. Hopefully there won't be any crazy elites showing up at the next one trying to kidnap me."

Gesturing at the chair, "Please sit and get comfortable, would anyone like something to drink? We've got a pretty good wine cellar."

Connor smiled graciously. "Indded we were and are. That's going to be fun. If any show up we'll just do what we did last time around." When she mentions wine Connor looks to Aurora and shakes his head. "I don't care if you're immune, no uneccessary risks." He smiles. "I'll have to start thinking about your gift."

He chuckles. "Come to think of it I still owe you your last one Elspeth, you never did collect."

He was curious to see if she remembered his promise.

"Some juice will be fine... and in that case, Elspeth, please call me Aurora." She responded, and smiled slightly at Conner's statement about her drinking wine. She looked at Espeth a moment, considering, then she spoke up her early thought. "I noticed that your still doing some redecorating, my brother is an artist, able to mold and shape all kinds of matter, he also would like to meet you very much." She winked at the young queen. "Has a bit of a crush, I think, but I believe he would welcome the chance to meet you, and would enjoy adding to the art and decorations of your palace."

Total recall being one of Elspeth's gifts, she certainly remembered the promise, but was surprised he'd brought it up since he was with the beautiful Dauntless now. "Yes, you do, but I think you'll have to come up with something else now." There was a twinkle in her eye and she added, "Seriously, though, I don't need any gifts at all, I'm just happy to have a few friends to get together with that aren't there just because of my political position."

To Aurora, "I'd love to have your brother come for a visit, especially if he's an artist. Art is one of my favorite hobbies, something I wish I had more time for really. I can't make any promises about the crush, I don't have much time for romance right now with the Diamond mind situation."

Darres, standing silently nearby, might have made the tiniest twitch of his lips that could have been amusement or annoyance, but unless anyone was looking at him at the time it wouldn't have been seen.

Ayato laughs. "Come on Con, She's a grown woman.." His eyes fell to Aurora and his pupils narrowed drastically, then his Eyes Widened. "Wow Connor, just wow. You didn't waste any time."

To Connor it was clear what he was referencing.

The Young second generation nova simply smiled. "It is nice to just get to be what passes for a regular person for novas."

He smiles to Elspeth. "I imagine you get tired of being the Queen wishing you could take a little vacation here and there. I bet Darres wishes he could relax a little too."

He looked to Connor and Aurora. "Being a huge media Star, and a Municipal defender, and even more a nova couple, I bet you two like to get away from the paparazzi."

"As for me, the Scion of a Major company and Son of An Elite right up there with Totentanz, I get alot of unwanted attention too."

She chuckled softly at Elspeth's response. "Romance or not, I'll talk to my brother, Darren, I'm sure he'll be delighted. Don't say anything about a crush though, I'm sure he'd be embarressed if he knew I said anything." She gave Elspeth a wink as she did.

When Ayato turned his gaze on her, she raised an eyebrow slightly, then she gave him a long gaze for a moment, and she allowed her perceptions to shift, giving her a chance to look over the other nova for a moment. Quantum energies suggesting considerable control over space and time rippled around him, and strengthed him physically and mentally, as well as making him more socially adept. "Interesting."

She let her sharpened awareness fade, as she continued to speak. "I find the media to be rather annoying at times, yes."

Connor nodded. "Indeed." He looked to Ayato. "I like it at times, except when I want to have a quiet night out." Connor knew Ayato had figured the truth about Aurora.

He smiled, relaxing in one of the chairs. "So aside from the mine issue Elspeth, how have things been for you?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Things have been good over all, just stressful. I feel like I'm juggling a dozen knives and dropping any will mean people suffer. Nova or not, it's a lot to handle."

She smiled reassuringly. "Luckily I can sneak away now and then for a little break, like with the movie. Being able to clone myself is very helpful and the disguise makes all the difference. Honestly, I don't know how the baseline rulers in history did it."

The conversation came to a halt as the first course was brought in and presented. Salad with a variety of lettuce and veggies and choice of dressings all prepared from scratch by the chef.

When the servers left the room, Elspeth spoke again, "I've also been practicing Warp a great deal lately. I'm fascinated with the Daedalus League and I find the beauty of space amazing. It's very peaceful floating in space."

"The ability to create duplicates is a rare one, but so handy indeed."

He smiles as he devours the salad. "I still can only bring along myself, but almost everyone I call a friend among the nova population doesn't every need a ride, generally just a location to be at."

"While Flying is my favoirite, teleportation is definitely a handy ability."

Ayato nods. "The whole "manipulating Time and Space" thing is my scene, and I have to agree with you Elspeth, Space is truly amazing. Our World looks almost peaceful when seen from the moon."

He chuckles. "Ganymede is nice too, believe it or not."

Connr looked to Aurora. "It does sound like fun, though I wonder about going into space, even if we have done it dozens of times before."

There was clearly something on the elder nova's mind, and it had a great deal to do with Aurora. If one were capable of following his eyes, he was looking at her stomach as he smiled.

"I think it would be alright, We certainly teleport enough as it is."

"I am fully space worthy." She winked at Elspeth as she responded to the question, and she turned her gaze to Conner. "We'll be fine, remember what my sister's said." She reached out to take his hand, and the we somehow seemed to be more then just the too of them. As to the League.. I have some connections there, I could put you in touch, if you like. Where do you want to go?"

• 2 weeks later...

Elspeth grinned and rushed around the table to hug Aurora. "Congratulations!!! That's so wonderful! Do you know yet if it will be a boy or girl?" Elspeth's mind was already racing to all the fun they could have.

"You know we have to have a shower for you!" The men's eyes started to glaze over at the mention of baby shower and Elspeth almost laughed.

Ayato's eyes narrow as he looks at Aurora and sees the truth. "I see the two of you certainly wasted no time. Congratulations."

He walks over to Aurora and smiles. "Hazuki and Minazuki are going to be happy to hear this, They both thought you and Connor made such a cute couple."

He looked at Connor and nodded. "Kids are a huge responsibility Old Man. I'm not gonna let you do to her what my old man did to Mom." It was the first time they'd heard him mention his father. He clearly had issues there.

Connor smiles as Elspeth rushes to hug Aurora and even when Ayato made the connection and his own comment. "Don't worry Ayato, I don't plan on going anywhere." He thought to offer a joke but realized that just wasn't in good form.

"So, dinner and then an astronomy lesson?"

"Boy." She responded to Elspeth's question, as she hugged the young queen back. "But then, I knew the instant I was pregnant." She paused. "And, as embaressing as it is, I didn't intend for it to happen. The child should be born in a few more months, I'm using my control over my own body in order to keep it from being obvious I'm pregnant."

Elspeth pulled back and smiled, "I completely understand, we've got so many responsibilities and enemies keeping things as quiet as possible is just good sense. That's why I make extensive use of my clones. I usually have at least a couple around at all times doing the things that need to be done. It lets me do the things that are really important." She grinned, "Like having dinner with you guys."

Just then a bell rang announcing the next course, a chicken dish made with a local recipe. When the servants were gone again she grinned and said, "Ok, so after dinner I'll take you to Alpha Centauri and let you get a look at a different sun if you want. My range is increasing dramatically with all the practice I've been doing, but that's about as far as I can get reliably right now. I think pretty soon I'll be able to get nearly anywhere I want to go. When I can I want to visit Orion since it's my favorite constellation. My Mother used to tell me it was my father hunting lions in the sky when I was little."

She smiled nostalgically at her comment which seemed very out of place to see such a look on so young a face. "Even then I knew the stars were just big balls of hydrogen and that constellations were just how the sky looked from Earth's perspective, but I still think of Orion as my father."

Connor nodded even as they were taken to the dining room. It was befitting royalty, as was the cuisine. He waited for everyone to be seated and dug in, eating with perfect decorum. The meal wasn't filling for him, but it was very good, though not ostentatious.

He was happy truth be told. Elspeth seemed to be doing well for herself despite some problems. He saw nothing rong with aiding her here. He wasn't doing anything illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

"Alpha Centari?! I've never been outside of our star system, that sounds like it would be really interesting. And really, I've love to visit Orion myself, someday." She responded to Elspeth's words with interest as dinner was served. She still didn't need to eat, but the child she bore was a different issue, so she made sure to take in the nutrients she thought he might need.

The dinner moved along with good conversation and discussion of unimportant matters. After the desert which was a chocolate brownie with ice-cream both of which were made from scratch in the palace kitchens, the guests moved into one of the informal sitting rooms. It was paneled in dark local hardwoods and had many bookshelves and a fireplace which was hardly ever lit, but which held a candelabra with a dozen or so candles providing mood lighting.

"So, now that we've had a nice dinner, and before we go for a space trip do you mind if we discuss the 'issue'?"

Seeing their nods of approval, she went on, "Let me start by saying none of you guys need to get involved if you don't want to. With my clones I can do what needs to be done without you. I say this not because I don't want you along but because it could be dangerous. They do have elites guarding their facilities and if we're discovered I doubt they will hesitate to attack." She gave everyone a second to digest that bit of news before continuing, "So what I have in mind is for us to go into the mine compounds in disguise as workers and film the conditions there. Then, once the filming is done, we'll consider all that research, then I'd like to shoot a feature film based on the conditions there. I'll write up a script that throws the mine owners in a very bad light. I'm sure we can find many stories of personal tragedy in the compounds to use for the movie. To be honest the movie probably won't be release until the situation with the mines is already resolved, but it should show the world what things were like in there so people will understand why they needed to be reformed so badly."

She smiled at the others, "So what do you guys think?"

"That's fine Connor, but you'll have to tone things down some. You stand out generally in whatever form."

"I can make a distrction if need be, Though I'd prefer to avoid getting caught entirely. We do need to plan for the event that someone is sensitive enough to pick one of us out. Out of all of us, Connor you're the only first generation, and as such you've got a better shot of hiding your signature than we do."

• 2 weeks later...

"Let's avoid confrontation if we can. I'd like to do this as stealthy as possible. Get in, take some good footage of the conditions there, and document the abuse of the workers. I'm not planning any violence here." She frowned, "On the other hand, if we see something we can't help but interfere in we'll do what we must. I couldn't sit by and watch someone beaten and not do something about it."

• 4 weeks later...

"That's why you shouldn't go then, Elspeth." Connor shook his head. "For this to work, whoever goes in can't do ANYTHING out of the ordinary. This can't appear to be the work of novas. They'd argue we doctored it, that we forced people to act a certain way."

Archived