Mystery: Enigmas and investigation 5

Pace: How fast do stories emerge, develop, and resolve? 3

1 ~ Never present

2 ~ Sometimes present

3 ~ Often present

4 ~ Usually present

5 ~ Always present

Part 3: Description of Venue

For the past thirty years the Seers of the Throne have risen up in ever increasing numbers around the world. Most metropolis are constantly fought over between the Seers and the tower mages; most smaller cities are held by either one or the other. Right now is not a good time to be a mage of the watch towers; recently though discreet messages have been going out to many mages who do not follow the Seers. These messages have pointed out that Kansas City and its surrounding communities have been mostly untouched by mages on both sides. This can be a place to build a new stronghold and prepare for what ever is coming.

Part 4: Known NPCs

There is one primary cabal in KC that everyone believes is responsible for the messages going out. The cabal consists of four mages:

Watcher - Mastigos Mysterium - Watcher is a very old mage who is mostly known for being a man with knowledge. He acts like everyone's grandfather and has made it clear his home is open to any as long as they remain peaceful there.

Evidence - Moros Guardian of the Veil - Evidence is a mage most wish they hadn't met. Every bad rumor you have ever heard of Guardians you believe he has taken a part in. The man seems to have no issue with confrontation and is quite direct about warning a fellow mage if they are on a course that will lead to him having to kill them.

Sprite - Acanthus Adamantium Arrow - If Evidence is the creepy one in the group and Watcher is the smart one of the group, then Sprite can only be called the impulsive member of the group. She is constantly rushing around and often interrupting others engaged in a long explanation right as they are getting to the point to demand that they hurry up. She seems to live each day with the belief everything will work out, just 'cus.

Chimera - Thyrsus Silver Ladder - The leader of the cabal called the Shadow Council, Chimera is a serious mage who in recent years has seemed to have lost a great deal of her humor. She is often quite dour and concerns her self mostly with what recently has granted the Seers so much new power and energy. Though kind, Chimera is usually a bit forward, believing it is only good to follow ceremony until you are wasting time doing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a note to everyone with the opening of a fourth venue I am opening up one additional 50xp character slot. If you already have a baseline character in another venue you would like to increase to 50xp please consult that venues ST to work it out. Although we have not set any hard limits on spending xp for the most part, we will not allow large expenditures in the middle of a plot thread unless they are very fitting to the story.

Also for the time being this post is for the purpose of giving people information to make characters. Please submit them to me but hold off on starting any fictions just yet. I will put up a shout when I am opening the gates for mage stories.

I wouldn't mind starting or going with a Cabal from the get go, I was looking at possibly Obrimos(Prime Focused), but I might go with Thyris or Acanthus instead, if your looking at Obrimos. Order wise, Adamanite Arrow, or Mysterium, not sure which, but if Rorx is looking at Arrow, I'll look a the Mysterium.

With Mage especially, I wouldn't worry too much about an overlap of Spheres/Paths. The powers and what you can do with them are so varied, I doubt we'll ever really have 'toe-stepping' issue. Run with what sounds fun, the details will take care of themselves. Ditto on the Orders, and having a clump of one Order or another in the game just gives the ST a place to start when designing storylines. laugh

The one thing I really do want for my character is that he's -very- new to the mage thing. Not necessarily the clueless-oh-god-here-are-very-very-basics (mostly 'cause that gets boring a repetitive real quick), but at the start of this game if he knows any other mages, it'll only be his cabal. He'll never have attended a caucus or whatever the meetings are called, and I'll probably have him as a base starting character.

Anybody else with ideas? Anyone need some help on coming up with an idea or questions about the general Mage setting?

I think I'll go with Mysterium, that way if your leaning that way, we can encourage Rorx to be the martial arm of the Cabal *winks*. As to path, the only ones I really wouldn't want to do are Mastigos or Moros, I like all of the ones I named.

We might want to consider the areas in the Cabal by Role, as they do in the Sanctum and Sigil book, I actually found that fairly cool. Though we don't have to use it, but here's the way it was broken down, if you want a look. And yes, one could hold more then one roll in a cabal, or have several folks in a role.

Farseeker ("Scrounger"); Duty - Gather resources for the Cabal, Hunter needed things, care for physical Needs(Hand)

Doorwarden ("Bouncer"); Duty - Protect the Cabal from external threats, Guardian, Warrior (Fist)

Hearthmaster ("Guide"); Duty - Maintaining the Cabal's Sanctum, Healer and Confessor, tends the Mental Health of Cabal(Heart)

Lorekeeper("Scribe"); Duty - Keeper of History and Knowledge, Protectors of Lore, keeper of mystical knowledge (Head)

Edgetender ("Hexer"); Duty - tend the Mystical Landscape around the Cabal, care for enchanted items brought in by Hand (Eyes)

Well if it's any guide in OWoD I usually played an Akashic Brotherhood or a Euthanatos wink

Having said the Akashic's main spheres were actually Mind and Correspondance, and he had just started spreading out into the other spheres...

In general though I agree he will end up being a Hand and/or Fist for the Cabal, although if he gets Life high enough possibly a semi guide as well wink

I myself was thinking of an Obrimos, Prime-focused, Free Council, been around for at least a few years as a Mage. I would like that type of spot, Jewel, as I'm trying to reboot chars rather than create more, and this is the best reflection of the character I think.

Roles- Hand and/or Fist

Seems we still need a Scribe. Now that I have some clarity, finally, as to what I'm wanting to do with BoP in general, I humbly ask to submit a mage who would fit that description well.

Acanthus Mysterium, I believe...with a focus in Time and perhaps Fate.

Hee...guess I'd better make sure no one else is doing that.

Hmn...so, in finishing up my mage, I don't think he'd have gotten into a cabal yet. You guys seem to have the workings a fine (and fairly well statted) cabal already. If it's okay with you all, I'll bow Remiel out (for now), and pay the new guy on the scene for the opening of the venue.

He'll probably end up in a cabal, but he's a base character right now and doesn't bring much to the table. I'd like to keep him that way for the start of the game and build him up as the game goes.

Wel if we are going to be an established cabal (in members if not in location,) we better sort out how we came to be that way.

Put together by our Orders expressly for KC? Or formed up elsewhere and moved to KC when we heard it was practically empty?

From the background I gave Dav - Mike has recently started at KC to do Medicine on transfer from Sports Physiotherapy at a different Uni/City. He is 21, and I guess back in the 1st year, unless he can transfer enough credits from the degree he had almost finished when he was nearly killed in a car crash (he still has the scars, deliberately so, but a full recovery). I suppose he might be in the 2nd year?

Either way he would have been in KC since Sept/Oct start of the year. This could have been with the rest of the Cabal or as part of a front team to prepare the way for the others....?

Quick note guys as I am looking through sheets. Many people have sanctum and hallow dots invested in shared.

First make sure all your sanctum dots are denoting size/security.

Second everyone please start discussing either on this thread or in chat how many dots of all three you are investing. I believe you guys might be around 7 hallow dots now and if you want that it is fine but you will need to work out with me how those are split up.

To start no pc is aware of a level 5 hallow in KC. However the size of the city suggest there is most likely at least 2 of them if not more. Level 4's are a bit more common but also many of them are radiating around WW locust so if people want to have one of those you will need to as a group talk to me which we can arrange in chat or do through PM.

I am mostly fine with people holding level 3 hallows as in a city this big there are a dozen or so. Level 1 and 2 hallows I am very lax about but we will need to work out their locations.

Remember that the major downside of hallows is you have to watch them, and maintain them. Like WW locust hallows draw in spirits and generally have an aura to them. Now if your mage is not concerned with what feelings your hallow is giving off then you don't really have to worry about maintenance. Also remember hallows strengths are based off ley lines and in KC right now with the amount of development going on ley lines can change which means unless you are doing something to keep your hallow strong it is possible for it to weaken.

Final note on dots vs. what you have - I will never take your dots away from you. I will say this again. I WILL NEVER TAKE YOUR DOTS AWAY. What may happen from time to time though is through out the game you may lose access to some of the benefit for the time and have to do a couple things to get it back. One example would be if a hallow is taken away from a cabal. You do not lose those hallow dots but your pc's will have to either re acquire the hallow or find a new one to get the mana from it back.

On a practical note the Sanctum should have the biggest hallow inside it's confines or grounds.

Ok so Mike arrived in KC in October, and Charlie was already here.. what about the rest of you.... Did we just meet up here by chance/ourselves, or was it arranged by our Orders?

Quote:
[Carver] 5:52 pm: Though, if you want that set up, you guys could have been put together to work on a task by
the local orders, then found you worked together well enough to form a cabal.

Quote:
[Rorx] 5:58 pm: mages from within the same Orders could have met during their training... then get sent in with
Charlie as a local contact.. then form a Cabal after helping each other out on something...

Edit: I'm recording all the good suggestions into this post for general consideration.

Kaien's lived in KC for almost two decades, having been born in San Francisco.

It's likely that Charlie and Kaien would know each other. Especially as both are Obrimos.

I'm fine with Split Hallows and the larger being the one within the sanctum.

Shadow name- Raiden

Archived