World of Darkness: Balance of Power - [Vampire] The Last Night

Shosuro Miren

Moira glanced around at those in attendance to see if there was anyone she knew. There were a few unfamiliars there, along with some people she recognized. She didn't see Aftiel anywhere, which made her a bit sad - surely he wasn't going to miss this particular Elysium, she'd told him she would be there. She knew she should probably stay and mingle for awhile, but at the same time she could almost feel the artifacts and artwork of the museum calling to her.

She decided to compromise by choosing for now to walk amongst the crowd quietly, catching overheard snippets of conversation and nodded in greeting to those whom she recognized. Not for the first time since the end of her did she long for the feel of a champagne flute in her fingers - even after all these years parties always felt just a little off without them. But the taste always deteriorated so quickly once removed from the body, so it was probably best they didn't make the attempt.

She stood by the fountain in the middle of the room, her gaze flickering down to the little zodiac places set into the floor in a clock-like manner around the fountain. A smile pulled at the very corner of her lips as she noticed the one beneath her feet was that of her own sign, Aquarius. She wondered idly how accurate solar-based horoscopes were for a creature of the night like herself - she'd known people who had been enamored with the practice back in her mortal days, but it was one of the few things she'd never gotten too caught up with studying on her own, though she could probably drudge up some memories regarding it if she felt like making the effort. She walked around the fountain, studying each one curiously and absorbing the symbolism behind the medallions placed into the floor.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aftiel slowly crept up next to Moira. He had been enjoying his view from the shadows but once he had spotted her he couldn't help but join the festivities and have some fun. Quickly jumping to her back he put his arms around her.

"So how are we going to entertain our selves tonight Moira? Want to go see if I can get off enough jokes at the lancea's expense that york and foscari actually change colors without the blush of life?"

She burst into soft but mischievous laughter, and glanced over her shoulder at him, her crimson lips curving into an amused smile as her amber eyes glimmered with merriment at his presence.

"Tha' sounds perfect ta' me - although ah wonder if they'd be red with fury or embarrassment by the time ye' were done. Depends on yer mood, ah suppose. Ah was startin' ta' wonder if ye'd decided ta' skip th' party. With you gone, an' Puck wrapped up with 'is new Master of Elysium duties, it woulda' been a borin' night fer sure. However would ah've occupied m'self?"

Aftiel got an evil glint in his eyes and took Moira's arm. He dragged her over to where the prince and all his ilk were hanging about making sure to be well in the earshot of the Lancea.

"So Moira.." Aftiel's tone was absolutely serious as he spoke. "I think I woke up tonight and realized I had made a terrible mistake. You see for the past couple years I wondered if I was doing the right thing worshiping a heathen goddess. I mean when you think about it there is no way Lillith could be the true god. If only I had someway of finding where my faith truly lies. If only..." He looked Moira in the eyes and almost sound in pain. "If only someone could help me put my soul at rest."

Her expression was just as deathly serious as his own, her expression betraying no sign of the laughter she was struggling to contain. Her eyes grew wide as he spoke and she nodded faintly, her voice loud enough to be overheard but pitched to make it sound like she was speaking for his ears only and was only being overheard by accident.

"Ach.. you too? 'Ah mean.. it's not so recent fer me, ye' know.. I was raised a good Irish Catholic girl, Aftiel.. an' here I am. Dead. An' sometimes it seems tha' even after death th' good lord's given me another chance at redemption, an' here ah' am, practicin' pagan arts instead. Sometimes I picture what th' look on m'dear Uncle Collum's face would've been. He was a man o' th' cloth, ye' know."

Quote:
"We are to enjoy ourselves this evening, Gregor? Does this mean I might actually cajole you out of your chair after the presentations of the evening are dispensed with?"

Gregor seemed to consider Madelaine for a moment before giving her a nod. He would most likely be a little less professional once the introductions had been taken care of.

As Puck approached he brought a woman that Gregor did not recognize.

Quote:
"My good Alder Prince, may I present one Ravenna de Sombra, newly come to Kansas City and wanting to present herself to you."

York spared a moments glance to the two standing in front of Gregor. "I did not hear an affiliation with the name." After his statement he went back to speaking quietly with Lavinia while watching the room.

Gregor on the other hand gave her a smile. "Do not mind Father York. That was just the sheriffs way of making it clear that you are unaligned. He is up front but he is good at his job. Welcome to my city Ravenna de Sombra. Before I can recognize you I must know are you currently recognized in any other court? Are you currently being hunted by any other prince? Finally do you agree to abide by my laws while you are in my domain and under their protection?"

Ravenna did not allow the Sheriff's words to deter her resolve. It was not the Prince, and she couldn't cared less what it thought of her or her alignment within the Covenants.

"Thank you for the gracious greeting." She said, directing it towards the Prince. "No. No, and yes." Her replies were swift and she didn't mince words, common among an individual who was used to taking orders. "My Sire, Shafi of Cairo, sends his regards and has instructed me to place myself at your disposal, should you have the need." She nodded slightly.

Gregor nodded to her. "You are officially recognized in this city. Lady Madelaine Von Gruskov here is my Harold and Seneschal. Father Mathew York the sheriff. Behind him the three standing trying to look as serious as him are three of the city hounds. They are Natalie, Decon, and Henry, I will let you figure out which is which. The lady he is speaking to is my harpy Priestess Lavinia Foscari. There is one more hound in the city but I have not seen him yet. If you are in need of anything these fine kindred will be able to assist you.

Now please enjoy the party. Our Master of Elysium has gone to so much trouble it seems. It would be rude for us to not have a good time."

The arrival of new guests had dropped into a slight lull after the arrival of the Prince - after all, most of the Kindred of the City were concerned enough about decorum to make sure to arrive early. And it wasn't as if India Hamilton wasn't concerned with decorum.. she was, deeply. However, she'd always had a habit of being fashionably late, perhaps it had been drilled into her from her mother at an early age - a lady always made an appearance. It might also have something to do with the fact that she'd had to travel from Lawrence, Kansas in order to reach Kansas City's Elysium, and in her excitement over seeing her sire for the first time in decades, she forgot to consider the traffic congestion caused by the mortal revelers preparing to celebrate the New Year in style. Either way, it was about ten minutes or so after the prince and his entourage had arrived that the stunningly beautiful, milky-skinned and ebony haired Kindred beauty stepped into the main doorway of the lofty courtyard where the party was being held.

She was dressed in a black lace dress that billowed out from her waist down and rested off her shoulders and low on her bosom. Over that was laced a leather corset, cut in an edgy and fairly modern gothic fashion. Black ribbons were wrapped seductively around her arms in lieu of more traditional gloves, and she wore an elegant necklace of black diamonds and a matching pair of black diamond chandelier earrings dangling from pale ivory earlobes. Her hair was piled up on her head, and only her long-ish bangs and a few purposefully stray, curled wisps of hair framed her face or the graced the back of her neck.

Click to reveal..
India's Dress:

Evening_Dress_Evening_Gown_Or_Ball_.jpg

On either side of her stood one of her two closest ghouls. Both of them appeared to be in their late teens. The young woman on her left had the mocha-colored skin of a girl of mixed heritage, and the young man on her right had skin almost as ivory-pale as the beautiful Kindred woman he flanked, though it couldn't disguise the faint, irresistible flush of one still amongst the living. Both were dressed in elegant attire, and appeared as calm and unruffled by the presence of so many Kindred as the ghouls that Puck had assisting for the evening. At a closer glance, despite the difference in skin color, they both appeared to have striking similarities to the woman they stood next to. The young man had tilted gray eyes that matched hers almost perfectly, although they didn't carry the inhuman beauty of the undead. The young woman had the same full yet elegantly carved mouth, and they were all of a similar bone structure and height, the young man being only a couple inches taller than the fairly average five and half feet the beautiful Kindred woman occupied.

She spared a small smile for the ghoul standing at the door as they passed him their coats - both of the ghouls in leather and the vampire in an elegant lace shawl. Then her eyes scanned the room eagerly, hunting for one hauntingly beautiful face amongst many. Finally they came to rest on the man standing in the group surrounding a man who had to be the Prince, and her eyes lit up with excitement. She walked calmly at first, but after a few steps her impatience betrayed her and her heels clicked quickly across the floor as she crossed the room towards him. Finally she stopped, a few steps short of the Prince's entourage. She trembled faintly with anticipation, and though she knew he had changed his name since the last time she'd seen him, she was too caught up in the moment to remember. Instead, his old name slipped out of her lips in a soft whisper, too quiet for most mortal ears.

"William..."

Gah. The boredom had reached its peak, and Mel had enough. Casting his eyes toward the Prince's entourage, he focused on the other Hounds. Time to mess with their minds. Getting up from his chair, he moved to a corner of the wall, then cut along the wall, slipping past the line of seats to pass up right next to the other Hounds.

"I thought the Prince ordered us to enjoy ourselves?" Mel announced in a quiet, but smirking grin. "You three are just moving toward being in trouble, step by step."

Clem briefly studied the card, then glanced at the disappearing Ventrue with an appraising look before tucking the card into a pocket. It was then the Prince and his entourage arrived. The wanderer stayed in his seat and watched as the Prince made his brief speech, a measuring look in his mismatched eyes as he studied the three Hounds and the Sheriff. Those same eyes marked the drift of Lavinia into the Sheriff's orbit, where the two began murmuring to one another almost immediately, as well as the eager entreaty of the Prince's Seneschal to her sire. Then another woman came close, led by Puck, and Clem observed the introduction and, with more interest, the reception of the stranger. He pondered that for a moment then rose, flowing to his feet and moving with his easy-paced stride across the courtyard.

The slow footsteps gave the Hounds plenty of notice of the approaching vampire. Keen eyes took in the young face, the slender build, the friendly smile and the relaxed set of his shoulders. Thumbs hooked into his gunbelts, hat set back on his head at a jaunty angle, the Gangrel gave the watchdogs plenty of time to study him as he approached, though to all appearances his attention was solely on the Prince. Stopping a respectful distance away, he slowly raised one hand to doff his hat, bowing low.

"Good evenin', Alder Prince Von Gruskov. The name's Clem Broson, of Clan Gangrel." His eyes flickered sideways to the Sheriff and Harpy and the ghost of a smile curved his handsome lips before he looked back at the Prince. "And those'd be my only name and title currently, sire. I'm seekin' to present myself for your recognition, and offer my best wishes to you on this night." The gunslinger straightened as he finished speaking, one hand still holding the battered hat in a respectful attitude over his heart.

Clem's arrival was nearly a Godsend, giving her the means to silently dismiss herself beneath Clem's shadow. She nodded one last time, granting the illusion of not wanting to hold up the next approaching individual and wasting the Prince's precious time. In truth, she just wanted to be away from the creature. He was nothing more than a ancient monster, regardless of what skin he wore, the young vampire was still fearful of the unpredictability and predatory nature of the creatures all around her.

Damn you Shafi. You taught me what I would need to hunt and destroy The Darkness, but you never told me any of this. She cursed her Sire silently as she approached a gorgeously decorated support column in the main hall. I should be out there doing what you trained me for, not here catering to the egos of sycophants with horrible fashion sense.

She leaned against the column, casually observing all those who passed by her. She sighed, often when not thinking of it she'd breathe as well although she didn't have need for it anymore. She silently watched, impassive and uncaring.

Originally Posted By: Moira Fitzgerald

"Ach.. you too? 'Ah mean.. it's not so recent fer me, ye' know.. I was raised a good Irish Catholic girl, Aftiel.. an' here I am. Dead. An' sometimes it seems tha' even after death th' good lord's given me another chance at redemption, an' here ah' am, practicin' pagan arts instead. Sometimes I picture what th' look on m'dear Uncle Collum's face would've been. He was a man o' th' cloth, ye' know."

Lavinia shuckled as she overheard the conversation and gave York a small kiss on his cheek before she excused herself.

The Prince practically relieved her from her duties for this evening - although she would never cease to be the Harpy - yet she would play along for now... until she got bored. Mentally she was taking notes about the newcomers, assigning them priorities based on their clans and alignment. She would take care of them later.

With few elegant steps she walked pass Moira and Aftiel lowering her head briefly while she closed her fan using it like a pointer to indicate a quite corner which provided them with enough clear view of the entire court. It shouldn't be too hard for Moira to understand that the Harpy wanted to talk to her in private. Lets see how far she wants to take this charade..., she quietly mused to herself.

Before Ravenna untangled herself from Puck, she could feel a silent shock run through him. He let her go without a parting flirt or objection and had she known him better, she'd have questioned his health at that point. As it was, Puck was grateful for Clem's interruption as it allowed him to slip away from the Prince and other officers without offering offense for his silence in doing so. He turned as if spun by a marionette's strings, his eyes catching on the neo-Victorian clad beauty and the ghouls attending her.

He stalked up to her, his eyes deepening to glittering sapphire blue and the entire world -the gather, the museum, the hum of the monsters gathered in a pretense of celebration- fell away in the moment occurring between the two Kindred. "India," he breathed her name softly and reached up to caress her cheek, the leaned in to kiss her with an ardor long forgotten by most of the other walking dead in the room. The moment stretched, clinging to existence as long as it could, but eventually the sounds and distractions of the outer world began to bleed into their personal universe. He pulled back from the kiss, his forehead pressed against hers as he grinned down at her. "I missed you."

He pulled the two ghouls into their embrace and held them there for another moment before finally stepping back enough to actually talk. Even that little distance seemed an unwilling bow to necessity for the Master of Elysium and he kept the two ghouls within easy reach as they spoke, an arm possessively wrapped around the grey-eyed youth. He spoke with a quiet intensity, "Are the others with you then, too? Zach only knew of his two cousins when I woke up, and knew nothing of me." He frowned, reaching out to caress her cheek again, "I had feared that you were gone or sleeping. So much had changed and everyone was gone. What happened?"

She sighed softly, her face tilting against his hand and her eyes fluttering closed for a moment. Then a faint scowl flickered across her lips, and she looked up at him with confusion in her soft gray gaze. When she spoke, he could hear the sound of the Deep South still lingering in her voice, though it was fainter than it had been, dimmed by time and travel.

"Knew nothing of you? How is that possible? The ones I left behind..."

She sighed softly, looking both annoyed and upset at the same time. She reached up and rested her hand against his chest, the expression on her face seemed crestfallen.

"I'm so sorry. I should have been more diligent. I just thought.. well, I should explain. You see, after you made your decision.. after you were gone.. well, we stayed in San Francisco for a little while. But.. it was just so depressing there, without you around. It's hard to explain, but.. well, I just thought that you would hate for us to stay there, just waiting, and waiting. I thought perhaps that it would be better, if we traveled. You always loved to travel so much. So there were a few who were tired. Jack, and Elouise, and William. They wanted to stay, and watch over you. They promised.. they promised me, William. They said they'd make sure that their children knew about you, and me, and that they wouldn't forget, and they'd keep you safe, and tell them everything. I just thought.. I mean, I went back a couple times, I made sure they knew how to find me. The last time I went was.. well, it was in the fifties, I think. I went to sleep too, sometimes, but.. never for very long, you see. And that time, Jack was the only one left that I knew, and he didn't tell me anything was wrong, William!"

She paused, and bit her lip softly in contemplation, before looking back up at him, her expression a perfect mirror of the guilt he knew she desperately wished she could truly feel. He had never met any Kindred who tried as hard as India did in that regard, and it seemed that little had changed in his years away. He knew she was calling on the memory of true, gut-wrenching remorse, and that what she was feeling now was but a hollow shell of it. But that didn't mean she wasn't truly sorry, and in the end that was what mattered.

"I suppose I should have visited more often. Perhaps his children were indulging him, thought he was a crazy old man. Lord only knows what they must have thought of me. I never should have left. But yes.. yes, I have everyone with me. I mean... there are some who are.. gone. But I brought all of them home to you that I could, I promise you."

He relinquished his hold on the ghoul to take India's face in his hands, "It's okay, India. I promise. We're together again, we'll be a family again."

He kissed her lightly again and then finally pulled himself fully back into the courtyard and Court. "Have you introduced yourself to the Prince yet? Most of the house is here, helping out tonight, but Ella and Danni are home with the kids. After we get you in proper with the Powers that Be, I want to introduce Victoria and Jonas to a descendant of theirs." Puck grinned wickedly, "He's a bit stuffy, but at least it means we have someone to do the books. Y'know I always forget a number or a name or a decade trying to keep track of all that stuff...."

He held a hand out to her, "C'mon. Let's get you settled up and then after the party we'll all get settled in."

"Goodness, no, I didn't. I spotted you straight off, and this is my first night in town. But at least he seems distracted by someone at the moment, so hopefully no offense taken, hm?"

She took his hand and let him lead her to the Prince and his entourage, waiting patiently as the duster-clad cowboy interacted with the regent. She murmured softly to them as they waited, her voice a pleasant-sounding purr of contentment at finally having found him after all these years.

"Tori's been such a dear with that sort of thing too, haven't you dear? It's so helpful, I just don't know how to thank her enough. And I'm dying to meet the young ones, William.. or I suppose it's Puck now, isn't it? It took me simply forever to find you after I'd heard rumors, I had no idea you'd changed your name."

She smiled charmingly at him, full of the southern grace that he'd always loved and she knew how to wield so effectively, but without the pretension of the women she'd been raised to be a respite from.

"I adore it, by the way. It suits you perfectly."

She caught Lavinia's motion, unintentionally catching her gaze as well for a brief moment before she broke it off. There was no pretending she'd missed it now, and she sighed very softly, placing a hand on Aftiel's arm and murmuring quietly, as if she were excusing herself to speak to Lavinia. In truth, she murmured quietly to him, sounding wryly amused even if it didn't match the expression on her face.

"Ach.. I'm being beckoned. Damn you, Aftiel - how do I let ye' get me inta' these things? If I'm over there more'n ten minutes an' ye don' come rescue me, I'll never forgive ye'..."

She threw him a wry parting smile, then schooled her features and walked over to the corner by Lavinia, looking for all the world as if she didn't know why the King's Harpy had summoned her.

"Good evenin', Lavinia. I hope it's a pleasant one for ye' so far. Is there somethin' I can do fer ye'?"

Gregor greeted the gangrel with a nod.

"A proper introduction. Welcome to my city Clem Broson of clan Gangrel. To be truly recognized in my city you must of course answer three questions. Are you currently recognized by any other court? Are you currently being hunted by any other prince? As long as I extend you the safety of my laws do you swear to abide by all of them?"

Behind them Natalie turned to Mel and grinned at him. Of the three Natalie was the most talkative. A still relatively young Mekhet she always seemed fascinated with any kindred she could speak to. "The Arch-Bishop has stated that until he says otherwise we keep near him. Now if you are asking me to dance I am sure we can keep near to Arch-Bishop York so that I don't get in to too much trouble."

Originally Posted By: Moira Fitzgerald

She threw him a wry parting smile, then schooled her features and walked over to the corner by Lavinia, looking for all the world as if she didn't know why the King's Harpy had summoned her.

"Good evenin', Lavinia. I hope it's a pleasant one for ye' so far. Is there somethin' I can do fer ye'?"

Lavinia watched carefully Moira's approach lifting her fan slowly to her face and unfolding it slowly as she was within comfortable conversation distance.

"Good evening, Moira. I have been enjoying myself so far, thank you. Have I ever commented on your exquisite taste? You look beautiful tonight - I wished more kindred of this court would be as mindful as you are with their choice of wardrobe.", Lavinia leaned a bit closer towards Moira practically hiding them both behind her large fan.

"We seem to be welcoming quite a few newcomers for this next decade, lets hope they'll add to our Prince's splendor more than they will cause trouble. It would be such a shame if we were forced to take action, don't you agree?", Lavinia's eyes were cold as ice while her smile was as sweet as honey.

Mel shrugged. "Why not? That won't be inconvenient. Who leads?" he asked as he led her out a short distance to the floor. He'd done quite a bit of dancing from his mortal days with Cecilia, so he had experience. "And he wants you three to stick by him? His eyes aren't wandering from Lady Foscari, I saw, so it's not that." He grinned.

"You know, I'm forgetting why I wasn't with you folks, for some odd reason." He'd been informed he was off-duty for this night, but he wasn't usual given reasons why in any given order.

Natalie laughed in a almost chirping fashion. She let Mel lead in the dance. If she was truly bothered by being this close to him she hid it well.

"Your job as hound is to do what the Prince and Sheriff say. If a fight were to break out you protect the Prince. If a fight breaks out the three of us are to lay our lives down as necessary to make sure the Arch-Bishop can make full use of his Theban Sorceries. Not that he expects any trouble here but Decon and Henry over there are such ass kissers they want to be as proud, proper, and on duty as the Arch-Bishop. I can't let them show me up too much. But it is nice sometimes to just let go and dance."

"I know, I know." Mel sighed. "I just get bored at these social galas. And the Prince said I shouldn't be coming in with you three. And Lady Foscari has mean Theban Sorceries too, I hear. So it would be both easier and harder to deal with an attack if it came. But the odds of that are like hell unlikely."

"Why thank ye, Lavinia. Ye' look as lovely as ever, as well. And aye, there does seem ta' be a few strangers amongst us t'night. I pray yer right - I've much more interestin' things ta' worry about than newcomers causin' trouble."

She glanced over, her eyes picking out briefly the new Kindred that had arrived so far. She seemed briefly to analyze them with her gaze before she turned back to Lavinia, and returned back to the previous conversation. It seemed an infinitely safer subject.

"I've always assumed clothes t' be a matter o' personal expression. So no matter what a person wears, ye' can tell somethin' about them, even if it's just whether they're uncomfortable in them, or the lie they're tryin' ta' hide behind. Don' ye agree?"

"Come to think of it - a pity and waste of ones Requiem it would be if you didn't know your purpose. In your case I must compliment you again - or better your Sire. His eye for the exceptionally beautiful almost rivals a Daeva's."

Lavinia suddenly changed demeanour and closed her fan letting it dangle on the cord down her wrist as she carefully reached out with both hands to touch Moira's and take them in hers. (Assuming Moira doesn't back off).

"Moira - have you ever considered putting your natural... grace to advantage? I could use some support in a personal matter and I think you'd be perfectly suitable for that task. What do you say? I'm sure there's some benefit for both of us."

Originally Posted By: Daven_OOC NPCRM #1
"...To be truly recognized in my city you must of course answer three questions. Are you currently recognized by any other court? Are you currently being hunted by any other prince? As long as I extend you the safety of my laws do you swear to abide by all of them?"

Clem considered for a moment then nodded. "Fair questions, sir. And the answers I give are no, no, and of course. I'll be needin' someone to explain all them laws to me, but right now I can give you my word that while I shelter under your hand, I'll not spit on your boots." The Gangrel smoothly dropped his hat back onto his head.

Meanwhile...

Another pair of vampires was coming up to the front doors. Charlotte had washed up and put a little extra effort into her appearance; transforming her from looking like a pretty vagrant hippie into looking like a pretty vagrant hippie who'd put a little extra effort into her appearance. She wore her jeans that had less patches. She wore a jacket over her vest. She worked a flower into her curly golden hair.

At her side was a shorter girl of approximately the same apparent age. Her beauty was less earthy, more classical...with tan skin and lustrous black hair, and a sense of fashion that wasn't from the wrong decade.

"Okay," Charlotte said as she walked her new, and still recalcitrant childe up to the doors. "I'm gonna go over it once more. Once we get inside, the whole place is under what's called Elysium. It means 'no fighting.' That shouldn't be a problem though, because every single vamp in there is older and stronger than you. So just...keep your head down and be polite to everyone. I'm going to take you up to the Prince, we'll say hello, he'll nod and wave us off, and then we'll go. It'll be easy. All right?"

Puck patted her hand again, her arm tucked comfortably through his as if time had meandered back to before they'd separated and forgot the intervening years. He murmured back, giving her the unofficial introduction to the city while they waited for Gregor to be available. "The Prince of Kansas City is Alder Prince Gregor Von Gruskov III, Earl of Kansas City, and a bit of stickler about titles and getting his name right, so be on your best 'impress the Invictus' behavior. The woman next to him is Madelaine Von Gruskov, his childe, Seneschal, Herald, and as far as I can tell, lover. They're pretty much never seen in public without the other one close by. She's a nice girl, India. Stubborn, but nice." He grinned down at his southern belle, "And probably one of the few people in the room that actually is about as old as they look. Next to her is Lord Ezekiel, another member of the Invictus. I don't know much about him other than that and that he's part of Gregor's power block in the city. To Gregor's left is Father York, the Arch-Bishop of the Midwest, Lancea Sanctum obviously, and with about as much humor. Nice sword, don't give him an excuse to use it, please."

"Those two behind him and those two over there dancing are the hounds. And.....oh, Moira? What are you doing?" He frowned at the scarlet haired beauty and her semi-clandestine conversation with Lavinia. "That is Moira Fitzgerald...and her sire Aftiel there not too far away, who no doubt are doing something to bait Lavinia Foscari, Father York's childe and left hand creature. Aftiel never has quite that expression unless he's doing something to annoy a Sanctified." He leaned in to whisper even more quietly, "Such a repressed young woman, poor thing. I assume she was embraced out of the one nunnery in the world that was actually full of devout virgins."

"Aftiel and Moira are members of the Crone; Aftiel heads one of the three cults in the city. He's fairly fun at a party and abysmally heterosexual, so I expect you to seduce him for me." Puck's grin was the same mix of wicked self-indulgence and total sensuality that she remembered, and it was obvious that he was fond of the two Kindred he was speaking of. "They'll probably be over later this week sometime; they usually come by at least a handful of times each month. I don't see Guillermo yet, but that's not unusual. He's the leader of the largest cult here in KC, so we make him speak for the Crone, but he's fairly introverted and preoccupied with his cult and his studies. Mekhet, of course."

He glanced around the room, eyes briefly flickering over all the Kindred there, "And that's it for the shakers and movers so far. There's a few number of newcomers here tonight; a good time for stirring the pot and whatnot." When his eyes came back to her, she could see that he was happy. Happy she was here, happy the family was here, happy just being here. Something had changed in him; he was still fun-loving free spirit she'd known for so many years, but there was a grounded-ness to him that hadn't existed before, a sense of pride and ambition that he hadn't had before he'd slept.

He glanced over to see Clem making his final remarks to the Prince and murmured to her, "I think we're up here in just a moment."

She prowled about the exterior now, trying to allow the night air to relax her somewhat. The Prince's orders were to enjoy the evening, so she was, the best way she knew how; by doing research.

Her flameless lighter ignited the tip of the black papered cigarillo. The lighter didn't rouse any instinctual fear, a small wonder of technology those things were, she mused to herself as the night air captured and carried away exhaled plumes of silvery smoke. It was a habit, she knew, that some vampires still held on to -if only to blend in- and others felt that since it didn't do anything for their dead systems any longer it was pointless. This was true, and she couldn't fault the logic, but she liked the scent of a good cigar, and lacking one of those this was the next passable thing.

Her senses filtered out background noise and chatter, even the rustle of the night breeze. She relaxed and let the only the sounds of the party mingle into her ears and she silently prayed no one let off an air-horn like her mentor enjoyed doing when she decided to pry into affairs not her own.

A good handful of the conversations going on around her flooded into her ears and her eyes looked about slowly, and as inconspicuously as possible, while she tried to add names with faces. She cared nothing plots and rumors, that was for another night which she knew she'd eventually have to indulge the ancient corpse in several times before eternity claimed her. No, for now it was names, faces, and stations. After all, she was commanded to enjoy the night, so business would have to wait until another time.

“Why are you making me do this?” Natalie hissed under her breath. Charlotte had insisted she dress up for the occasion and Natalie was wearing a tight black open neck sweater over a slinky white cocktail dress, with black hose and black calf-high boots. A little pearl choker made up of three strands was wound around her graceful neck. “You said I had to look nice. You’re wearing jeans.” Natalie pointed out resentfully. She glanced at the doors with trepidation. She tried to imagine what a vampire party would be like. She pictured guys in tuxedos with huge sideburns and pointy chins drinking blood out of shot-glasses. What kind of music would they like? The Cure, probably. Unless they were all like Charlotte, in which case it would be Simon and Garfunkel. Hello darkness my old friend...

“I really don’t want to be here.” Natalie scowled at Charlotte.

"Well duh," Charlotte reproved impatiently. She looked around and nervously ran her tongue over her fangs.

"It's like this... Each city has a big bad vampire in charge, called a Prince. Technically anytime you go to a new city you're supposed to go see him. In reality though, unless you're going to set up shop there, or hunt a lot, they don't care. The trick now is that we ARE going to be staying here, and we will be hunting, so it's a better idea to play along than it is to lay low and pray no one finds us. And at least here it's Elysium..."

Charlotte grimaced. "Anyway, just be polite, don't freak out and let me do the talking. You'll be fine. We'll be fine."

Hunting. Natalie thought with a shiver. Last night, spooned against JJ she had spent hours staring at the back of his neck. She had counted every little hair there a dozen times over. Every pulse of his heartbeat had sparked a pang of hunger in her. A deep and desperate hunger...

He had walked in on her painting over the windows with red and black. The hell are you doing Nat? She’d tried to convince him it wasn’t anything too out of the ordinary. Art. I’m doing art, but it had taken sex to placate him. He’d been rough, violent. Working out his growing frustrations with her over the last couple of days. She’d felt disconnected the whole time, faking her whimpers, finding herself drifting farther and farther away, barely feeling. Blood was all she could think about. The richness and vitality of it. Pumping hot and thick into her mouth. Spreading a liquid warmth throughout her body. Sweet and delicious. She wanted it more and more. It had taken every bit of self-control she could muster to keep from biting her boyfriend. And how long can I keep that up? Natalie wondered now, as Charlotte led her into the elegant estate.

A house full of monsters, welcoming another baby monster into the flock. Natalie mused.

Inside Charlotte and Natalie were met by a handsome young man who offered to take their coats...an offer Charlotte declined. As they passed him by she whispered, "He wasn't a vampire. You can tell. You'll know what I mean in a second."

They moved from the foyer into the main hall, and instantly Natalie realized what Charlotte was talking about.

The inhuman sliver that lived in the bottom of her mind, the piece of her that embodied the alien hunger of her condition, rose up and screamed into her hindbrain. She was surrounded by predators, some of them equal to herself, many of them greater. The squealing 'beast' in her soul wanted to prove itself against the weak ones, and crawl and hide from the strong ones.

Charlotte gently squeezed her hand...not so much to comfort her, as to keep her from running off. "Steady," she said quietly, apparently not too troubled by the effect, though her eyes flicked rapidly around as if counting the assembled undead. "It'll settle down in a second..."

Gregor gave Clem a nod of approval.

"You are recognized in my city. If you are looking for someone to help you learn the rules and the city you may wish to speak to Aftiel over there. It is believed half the time he is a member of your clan."

Gregor motioned towards the man to the side that was watching the affair. Aftiel looked chagrined at the comment and gave a half bow. "It is true sir if you need anything just come and ask, although if its a party you are ever looking for Puck is the guy to talk to around here. If you will excuse me I am supposed to be rescuing my subordinate right about now so I am going to go have a seat." Chuckling he walked off to a table.

Gregor looked passed Clem to Puck.

"Someone else to present?"

Puck stepped forward with India still on his arm. This close the aura of the obviously elder Nosferatu, combined with the bevy of other Nosferatu that made up a goodly portion of his court, was nearly overwhelming for the two Daeva. Puck managed a smile and a courtly bow despite the distraction of his quivering Beast.

"Indeed, my Prince. A most unexpected and welcome surprise for this evening." The Prince and his court could feel the pride and joy of the Daeva before them nearly as palpably as others could feel the aura of the Nosferatu; it was an interesting glimpse into a creature that had so far for the most part shown himself to be a flighty and mercurial hedonist. "It is my pleasure to present to you my childe, India Hamilton."

Moira arched a delicate red brow as the only indicator that something Lavinia had said seemed to displease her. She let Lavinia take her hands, and her lips curved into a smile that held a touch of wry amusement at the corners.

"Ah'm flattered, Lavinia - yer very kind ta' compliment me so on somethin' I was truly blessed with. After all, save the clothes we dress ourselves in, one has vera little ta' do with one's appearance.. kinda luck o'the draw, don' ye think? An' while ah'm quite certain Aftiel appreciated the package an' all, I don' think it was really m'looks that drew his attention. Or held it, anyway."

She tilted her head, and smiled sweetly at Lavinia, her voice still as cool and smooth as it had been during the polite reprimand. Moira had grown up in a time and place where a woman's appearance had been of much greater value than her intellect, and it was a stereotype she'd fought long and hard against during both her life, and her unlife. While she enjoyed a heartfelt compliment as much as the next walking corpse, she wasn't overly fond of the suggestion that she had been selected because of her appearance. She also wondered briefly if the devout Kindred standing across from her would be sharp enough to pick up on the fact that she'd referred to it being Aftiel who'd selected her, though he obviously wasn't her sire. They spent so much time together and acted so much like sire and childe at times that many less political Kindred forgot that they weren't. The fact that Moira never spoke of her actual sire did nothing to dissuade the notion, though that most likely led to some confusion on other Kindred's parts. Moira was okay with that.. a little confusion kept the world interesting.

"But ah'm not sure what ye' mean, Lavinia. I'd be more than happy ta' consider assistin' ye, if ye can give me a little more info about what ye' need my assistance with."

"Consider" bein' the operative word an' all...

India stepped up with Puck, and with an unfailingly polite and devastatingly charming smile, she released her sire's arm long enough to perform a deep and graceful curtsy. As always, she hid the tremble of her soul (if indeed she still had one) at the powerful beast before her in the appropriate Southern Belle flutter of lashes and downward glance that accompanied the curtsy. Then she dared to lift her gaze back up to him, and her greeting carried a fair hint of a ladylike Southern drawl, though it seemed to have faded a little from her mortal days.

"Alder Prince Von Gruskov.. what a pleasure t' make your acquaintance, Your Highness. Please accept my compliments on your beautiful city.. Ah drove in from Lawrence an' the downtown lights are jus' lovely at night, as is the choice for this evenin's Elysium. Ah can't wait to see more of it."

The tone of voice didn't seem indicate any hidden desire to brag about her Sire's selection - indeed, she didn't offer any indication at all that she even knew about his position as Master of Elysium.

Gregor gave a nod of greeting to India. He considered her for a minute as he did the others.

"India Hamilton, are you currently recognized in any other court? Are you currently being hunted by any other prince? As long as you are under the protections of my laws do you swear to abide by them?"

As the song ended a short distance away Natalie gave Mel a smile and even managed a barely hesitant kiss on the cheek before excusing her self and returning to standing with the other two sanctum. She didn't frown like the others, instead she smiled as she looked around the room.

meanwhile.

Four kindred entered the room together. All four wore the uniforms of military during the civil war but as three of them wore blue the fourth wore gray. In the lead looked to be the youngest wearing a General's uniform. Behind him the southerner showed the rank of a Captain. Bringing up the rear the other two wore the northern uniforms for a Lieutenant and Colonel.

Jimmy Dumas was probably something many in the court had wished had not followed Gregor to Kansas City. The Prince always found him amusing when he was in a good mood though. The three following, his three older brothers, always seemed to be protecting him. From others or him self no one was truly sure. Without seeming to even notice what was going on Jimmy walked up to Puck.

"A nice party you are throwing here Mr. Puck. Me and th' boys wanted to compliment ya."

Archived