World of Darkness: Balance of Power - [Fic] Open for Business [Complete]

Goro Kondo

December 28th, 2009

The sun, a baleful red orange that gleamed like a great demonic eye, slide down through the dusk sky pulling behind it darkness and starlight. The horizon was aflame with orange light and for a moment the light seemed to gain intensity. The moment passed as the last arc of fire slipped beneath the horizon plunging the world into night. Goro's eyes opened slowly. The room was dark, the windows covered by internal shuttered and thick heavy curtains designed to block out all light. Goro moved his tongue around in his mouth and smacked his lips, a habit from nights past, a memory from a life long extinguished. Fingers laced, he inverted his hands and pushed outward, a symphony of cracks and pops greeted him. On the nightstand an old watch, the two inch wide round face well worn but still clean and clear ticked silently the passage of the first minute of the evening, "Are you going to lie there all night?" it asked.

The man sat up, he was rumpled in the way one would expect of somebody who had just gotten into a tussle. "No, but if you don't watch your mouth you very well may," he replied to the watch, or rather to its Kami, the spirit of the watch.

"Bah, you'd sooner forget that bitch by the door than me. Am I not your oldest friend Goro?"

"Bitch? How dare you speak of me like that?!" came a shrill voice from the sword cane by the door. "Why I have it in my mind..."

"Quiet both of you," Goro said, cutting off the cane, with its dragon head, the mouth agape in shock at being interrupted. "Let me wake damn you, and then we shall go and open the store I think. We will have a visitor today, or so I believe." He shuffled to the dresser and picked up a few tidbits, a ring that greeted him warmly, his old wallet that crustily complained about the hole that was developing in one of the folds, and a ring of keys that said hello as a group, a chorus of freinds old and new. He settled the leather coat over his slight frame, its voice, soft and feminine, whispering into his ear and the retrieved the watch from the nightstand, and the can from its spot by the door. As it did every night the watch made crude comments as it slide inside the coat pocket where he kept it, the coat replying with titillated giggled and mock horror both at the comments. The dragon head on the cane fit his hand like a glove, or the familiar hand of a long time companion, and Goro felt its pleased rumble of affection.

Goro passed out of the bedroom into the apartment proper and from there out into the stair that lead down to the street. A muffled cry from his pocket reminded him to engage the lock, both the deadbolt and the door handle lock. He smiled lopsidedly as he was admonished for his carelessness and then plodded down the stairs. The mail box was full, as it nearly always was, and as he leafed through the mail it all went into the recycle bin, as it nearly always did. Aside for a handful of bills each month Goro received naught but junk mail, all of it too dumb and stunted to even be capable of a simple "Hello" as greeting. Down into the blue plastic bin, which was equally stupid but at least happy and aware to say "Thank you" when used.

He passed through the door and to the street. The rumble of the city, cars and people and other noise, all greeted his ears as he passed in front of the building he owned to the door on the opposite side. This was a lattice of ironwork that squealed happily upon being opened before falling silent once more as the short Asian man worked to unlock the door to the shop. The glass and steel door, with the store's name, "Pawn But Not Forgotten", swung open accompanied by the jingle of a bell. The little Asian man had barely taken a step inside when the vast collection of things greeting him warmly, and vociferously, "GORO!"

"Good evening my friends," he replied good-naturedly as he pushed the button for the overhead door opener and flipped the lights on. Outside the steel door that protected the shopfront rolled upward exposing a plate glass window that displayed a neon "open" sign, and a variety of interesting items all for sale. Goro himself, shuffled through the store checking on the state of things before settling behind the counter to wait.

The music slowly filled her conscious mind as she slowly awoke. Her eyes wandered across the room until they found his resting place. Anxiety made her long dead heart beat just once as she forced the vitae to lend her the memory of days long gone. She blushed briefly but it didn't last long. It has been too long ago and now only a faint reminder was all she had left. A silent tear ran down her cheek and she exhaled with a mourning sigh.

Standing up has become a routine. She walked to the bathroom were servants already awaited her. Her pale skin washed with milk and exotic liquids that gave her skin an irresistable and pleasant odor. Then they started to apply some decent make up, just enough to emphasize her unnatural eyes. Next followed her undergarment that got wrapped around her delicate, yet feminine body. As she picked the dress for this evening the only thing she layed her hands on herself were her gloves and jewelry which she donned like a special suit of armor. Within an hour she had transformed into the courts first lady and was ready to face the perils of this night.

Wrapped around her fine hands was an ancient rosary which she always carried with her - ancient words murmurred quietly to herself and to the locked door which was just next to her resting place. The servants were long gone, giving her misstress some time alone which she demanded.

"Pater noster, qui es in caelis:

Sanctificetur nomen tuum:

Adveniat regnum tuum:

Fiat voluntas tua,

Sicut in caelo, et in terra.

Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie:

Et dimitte nobis debita nostra,

Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.

Et ne nos inducas in tentationem,

Sed libera nos a malo.

Amen."

As she left the building one of her most trusted servants reported the latest news and tasks which was set upon him during the day.

"It is possible by a small margin that the artifact you are looking for may be in that pawn shop but I honestly doubt it, mylady.", she acknowledged his words with a small nod and let her driver take her to Goro Kondo's shop. He was Sanctified and would welcome her even unnanounced. She still had some time to kill before he would wake.

The large limousine stopped one block away from it's destination waiting in a dark alley for the mistress to return while two of her servants kept their eyes on the street and on their mistress.

Lavinia quickly closed the few steps to the pawn shop not wanting to draw too much attention to herself or the shop. She entered the miracolous appearing shop and hesitated briefly. Then her eyes settled on Goro and a faint smile crossed her immaculate face.

"Blessed be thee, I request a few moments of your valuable time, brother.", Lavinia's voice carried like a song through the wonderous shop.

"...all I'm saying is that it doesn't seem fair that I have to hang out and stuffy old pocket all the time."

"Stuffy? How dare you? I'm not stuffy in any way," came the reply in that constantly sensuous feminine.

The bell over the door jingled as Goro rolled his eyes, "Like it or not, you are a pocket watch," he laid heavy emphasis on the word pocket, "I have no intention of wearing you around my neck or leaving you dangling like some obscure charm from my vest..." Goro broke off as the customer walked forward to the counter. Of the people he was speaking to, there was no sign to be seen by the newcomer.

Goro recognized the woman, York's right hand, one of the many members of the Lancea Sanctum that he believed likely looked down upon him when his back was turned. They believed he was insane, Goro believed they were deaf Gaijin who ignored the spirits of the world around them; that he technically knew the truth of the situation, whom was right and whom was wrong, did little to salve his mind. "Good evening," he greeted her as cordially as he could muster, his voice was still tinged with the Japanese accent that spoke of his life in Japan before his Requiem began those many years before. "Short days and long nights to you." He inclined his head in a barely bow, "And pleasant evenings to you as well," he added, his eyes on the rosary in her hands.

"Thank you dear, short days and long nights to you as well. Your consideration is as always a balm upon my existence." The voice of the rosary, the voice that Gaijin Lavinia did not hear, was strangely gender neutral and yet there was a quality to the voice that added an air of both depth and body, like carefully metered tones from within a spacious room.

Lavinia's eyes briefly observed the short silence that followed before she picked up the conversation again. "We... I... was wondering if we are for ourselves here or do you expect any special guests or customers?", her request seemed to harbor from the conversation she had picked up when she had entered the shop.

With carefully measured steps she walked through the shop looking out for any possible customers she might have overseen while she absentmindedly picked up a piece of cutlery as if to appraise it's value.

"No mortal or vampire lies within these walls save ourselves. Though I can only answer that with the assumption that you would not bring shrouded servants with you to see me." He saw the item she was looking at, a 14th century Spanish dirk. "That has a very interesting history, its last owner hardly knew the value, in fact he believed its dull blade was intentional, for use only in opening ones mail. I relieved him of it though I have not sharpened the weapon back to its original state at its own request."

"Good.", the black clad Daeva said and walked back to the shops door and flipped the "open for business" sign back to it's "closed" side.

"I was wondering if you'd be willing to show up to our weekly mass each sunday? I am sure this would... personally benefit your Requiem and consolidate your standing in the Lancea Sanctum.", she walked back to the racks of pawned wares and seemed to aimlessly look for something.

"Are you proficient in archeology or history, my friend?", she asked not as nonchalant as if to hide her true intentions.

Goro frowned as she turned the sign over, but quickly concealed his displeasure as she returned her focus to him. "I have some knowledge, a passing bit here and there. I must admit retention of facts has not been easy since my first death." He glided past her initial offer, the false reason for her being in his shop, and continued to investigate the real purpose of her visit, "Is there perhaps some task you wish my help for? Or perhaps an item you need to know more about?"

Her false pretense quickly shifted into businesslike behaviour as if someone pressed a switch. "Now that you mention it - I do have some interest in finding a special... artifact. I know this may seem like grasping for straws but I've learned in the last centuries to not miss out on any chances. Are you acquainted with biblical artifacts? For example... the holy grail?", her eyes found Goro's and stared at him with religious fervor. Something told him that she wasn't joking and dead serious about it.

Goro shook his head sadly, "Forgive me for answering a question with a question Ms. Lavi, but what makes you think the San Greal wants to be found? An item of such power and history would surely be more than a mere inanimate object. I think it likely that if the grail wants to be found or to stay hidden it will do so." He stopped, looked again at the sign that now faced "closed" to the outside and sighed. "However, suppose for the matter of conversation between friends, we assume that is not the case. Yes, I am familiar with aspect of the San Greal lore. What is it you would like to know?"

The beautiful Daeva crinched briefly at the mispronounciation of her name but she decided to ignore it for the sake of her task.

"Of course something as prominent as the San Greal caused a lot of controversial in the past decades and centuries. Most of it is based on false assumptions unfortunately... and of course there is a lot of wanted missdirection. The San Greal is as real as Arch-Bishop York, trust me. It is my duty to find it and return it to him...", that last sentence slipped her lips unwanted and she hesitated as her eyes scrutinized his mien for any sign of betrayal or denial.

"You must understand the urgency of my request. Even the tiniest hint could prove to be most valuable. My only request being to help us with this task beset on us. You will be rewarded generously."

Goro cocked his head to the side, as though listening for some ephemeral sound that Lavinia did not hear. "She says one thing but she means something else. She's looking to use this to get ahead somehow, don't trust any farther you you need, and if you find it," the watch's voice trailed off for a second before continuing. "They say finders keepers right?"

Goro nodded to himself, "Of course. Of course." He looked up and saw Lavinia looking at him closely, "Of course I will help. Though it would be useful to understand what it is that you want the cup for? What do you think the Grail can do?" If the cup were real as she claimed; oh, the stories it could tell, the knowledge it would hold. Regardless of any power supernatural, the Kami of such and item would be wondrous all on its own.

Lavinia's eyes suddenly became like large pools of endless water. She seemed to look straight through Goro, right into his heart. Her voice carried the burden of centuries long search as she spoke, "Because it holds the key to our salvation, Goro. Our journey would finally come to an end... after all these years..."

A single tear rolled down her cheek and she suddenly came back out of her reverie as she shook herself as if she was freezing. With a quick motion she wiped the tear away and turned away to the door.

"I hope you understand... with your heart the sincerity of my request. Everything else would be... punished.", the former calculated coldness had returned to her voice and she slowly turned around the sign again at the door. "Do we have an accord?"

His brow furrowed as the woman slipped into some other memory space. And the Giajin say I am crazy, he thought. At last she snapped out of it, wiping away a tear that betrayed the truth behind the memory. He watched her walk to the door, the entire store was silent, bereft of even the idle conversation between Kami that Goro had long ago learned to filter out.

"Do we have an accord?" she asked him, he voice sharp, and her expression hard. She clearly intended to convey the seriousness of her request.

Goro nodded wordlessly and the woman turned pulled the door open. The bell dinged and Goro said, "Lavi, wait." She turned to look, the door partway open, he attendants visible just past the stoop. "The grail, is it the reason why York chose to come here? To this city?"

Lavinia was about to leave when Goro issued another question which made her stop in her tracks.

"Haven't I told you enough already? There is always a reason if one as ancient as Arch-Bishop York as much as moves. I think you can answer your question yourself...", there was another pause before she finished her sentence.

"And don't call me like that. You either address me as Lady Foscari, Bishop or Lavinia if we are in private. Understood?", she gave Goro one last look waiting for some kind of acknowledgement in his face which would satisfy her.

"Yes, yes, Of course there is a reason to all the elders see fit to do. You didn't answer my question though. Was York's decision to come to this city do to the Grail?" Goro waited for her reply, her answer to that question before adding, "I will attempt to remember to address you properly in the future. Forgive an old man the ways of his youth long gone."

Her eyes rested a while on his face, then wandered down to his neck stopping right there for a lingering moment. The audacity was blatant and yet she recognised the importance of his question for him - else he wouldn't have dared to ask again.

"Yes.", was her short and simple reply. In truth she didn't know Yorks real intentions. His mind eluded her centuries ago but she held on to the pieces she recognised and to the task she was sworn to. She would go to the end of the world to fulfill her destiny, if it only would satisfy him and their Dark Messiah Longinus.

"Never mention this to anyone, Goro.", there was nothing else added to her words but her eyes spoke volumes. She had already killed any trespassers and betrayers without mercy - surely she would do the same to him, should he do something... stupid.

He nodded and the woman, apparently satisfied, passed through the door. He watched in silence as she walked by the window, back to her haven or perhaps to speak to York. As she disappeared from the window a sigh of relief went through the entire store. The shrill female voice of his sword cane spoke up first, "And they call you crazy. Don't turn your back on that one for a second, she'll gut you like a pig and not think twice if it will put her ahead in the end."

Goro nodded, "Yes, I think perhaps you are right. I will have to tread very carefully indeed. Especially so because I have no intention of keeping this to myself. There are others who must hear of it." With a concerned sigh he settled back onto the chair behind the counter and waited for more custom or perhaps even some other visitor.

Archived