World of Darkness: Balance of Power - OOC chatter

Daven_OOC NPCRM #1

Here is the ooc thread so people can figure things out.

A few quick notes on rule changes.

Merits -

Status - City, Clan, and Covenant status are all free. These merits are up to the ST's. Part of the reason for this is I do not want the stories to start to be a older vampire spends eight months traveling the world trying to gather support for a status bump. We want to focus on the local. Any other status merit still are bought in the usual way.

Bloodlines at creation - In the original post I stated that to start at a bloodline you must use your 100xp character and meet all requirements for joining the bloodline. It has sense been pointed out to me that it does not state anywhere in character creation what those requirements are.

To join any bloodline a character must spend a permanent dot of willpower. This willpower can be bought back at the standard cost of 8xp however if you are entering play as a bloodline you must either be down one willpower or have spent the xp. In addition some bloodlines have further requirements. Possibly that you had to go through a ritual, or the bloodline is so different you had to burn a additional dot of willpower. If the additional requirement is mechanical it must be noted and accounted for in xp, if it is RP it must be written in to background.

I am sure future adjustments are to come.

Another adjustment after talking with people.

Merits - Simple vs. Complex

If a merit is a graduated merit (goes up in dots and changes effect with dot increase/decrese) it is a complex merit and each dot cost 2 x new dot.

If a merit just has a set number of dots, like the infiltrator merit which is only 4 dots. It is a simple merit and the whole thing only cost 2x number of dots.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Malachite_OOC
Personally, I'd much more favor 'OW' style games ala DR, SGU, and BoP.

quote taken from http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/170037/Re_Going_Forward_A_Request.html#Post170037

I'm a little concerned over this. Does this mean that this game is going to be less ST led and more player led? I'd like to be clear on this as I generally find I don't do well with the "OW" style.

James mostly want it means is we have created a game that can suit both.

As long as we run this game there will always be plots/meta-plots for people to be involved in but my hope is that I have also created a loose environment where my self, mala, and carver are taking care of enough fics can be extremely open and not get bogged down with too much. Now if our players just want the ST driven side of things that is fine but hopefully people will not feel that they should avoid personal fictions either.

So, I remember Dawn saying that the primary goal of the WW venue was for the PCs to all form a pack and solve the problems and protect the territory etc.

So she gives us a Pure PC so now we can't form a pack...

OR

We're faced with omitting this particular PC from the goings on leaving him to Solo the game on his own. I can't speak for the other PCs but Swara will not work with a Pure. The Pure are classified as "The Enemy" in the eyes of the People (and canon) and fraternizing with the enemy is a violation of the oath she made. She can not 'honor her territory in all things' by willing allowing 'The Enemy' to wander about and do as he pleases.

The only reason she has yet to say or do anything is because an Alpha has spoken on his behalf.

My PC has been placed in a rather awkward position here.

*shrugs* I also made a wolf-blooded, which can't even be in this particular thread. Play Swara as you will. If she won't include a Pure in her pack, then don't. If the others feel that way as well, and don't decide to rip the character to shreds for being a Pure on their turf, then the player of that character can choose to either play it solo for a while and see if Miles can prove himself enough to be included in the reigndeer games with the rest of the Forsaken or decide to retire the character and make a Forsaken.

When the character was proposed to the ST, it was made clear that she wouldn't cram the Pure PC down the throats of the other PC's. Ditto on my wolfblooded. Camilla (my character) isn't going to have an auto-win on getting included (especially given how squishy she is compared to the fuzzies). I expect that to be part of the story.

Originally Posted By: Swara-Ann Osbourne
My PC has been placed in a rather awkward position here.

Yes, she has.

If you guys are going to tell him to fuck off, tell him to fuck off. Or whatever you're going to do. You have been presented the situation. React. The player knows that the character doesn't have an invulnerability stamp or a free pass to always being included by the Forsaken players. Given the current storyline, he could be useful. He could also be a huge pain in the ass, and a Pure on top of that. wink

I know Dawn would like at least one pack in the venue; it just makes running games easier 'cause you don't always have to be getting everyone together and reestabilishing the pecking order. That doesn't mean everyone has to be in the pack. I don't think we have enough players yet to have more than one pack, but a few solo characters isn't going to ruin the venue.

EDIT: So, after rereading this once is was posted, I realized that it could come off very easily as bitchy/uncaring/sarcastic. Not my intent. All I was trying to get across is that the player knows that they've started with a character concept that might not be viable for (or make it through the first thread of) the game. Play your characters out. We only ask a little bit of bending for the sake of the game, such as letting another PC Forsaken into the pack even though you/your character may not like playing with them as much as other PC's/players. For this, let it play out and we'll see what happens. No one's going to jump on you, Rev, if Swara pitches a fit about the Pure being there or being suggested as a possible pack-mate. Have at, if that's what she'd do. laugh

Also.....I need to get an OOC account that's not the ST account for this game.....I'm not speaking as an ST/Mod here, just giving my opinions and some insight on what I know about the situation.

That was sort of my point, since I currently hold the record for kicking people in the nuts. While, thankfully, Swara's last resort would be to kill him, she can not allow him to stay in Kansas City. He is Pure and as long as he is Pure the people of Kansas City are in danger. She has a resposibility to the citizens and to the Oath to run him out of town.

Since the game is based is Kansas City, this causes problems, since honestly all players should have a fair opportunity to play in the game. With my PC (and a few others probably) roughing Miles that's kinda... I dunno, unfun for me and maybe for his player too.

But, as long as people know I'm just playing the PC and no targeting him for abuse, then I'll just play her like she needs to be played. smile

Oh, and I didn't think the post was 'bitchy' at all, I was looking for feedback (positive or negative) and that's what I got. In short, I was looking to cover my ass before I treated him like crap IC. smile

I got your bent knee right here!

*Thwacks Mala.*

In all honesty if the Forsaken want to try it could be really interesting. Obviously it would take a long time, as anything does trying to convince a werewolf their view point on something is wrong. Miles is very young and as stated in the post doesn't have a full grasp on what the whole fight is about. He knows that a long time ago the Forsaken killed Father Wolf but the dude had gone nuts. He also knows they follow crazy moon lady and he right now is completely apposed to that but with time perhaps he could be convinced other wise.

I'd talked about this in chat the other day a fair bit, but yeah: especially given what the character said about his youth and inexperience before driving off in his last post, conversion is at the top of Kara's list of how to deal with this lone Pure.

Failing that, however (and "failing that" would take some time, time during which they can quietly be trying to figure out if he holds the key to the missing Pure in some way), and assuming something crazy doesn't happen that sees Kara wandering back out of the area, she'll be with Swara: drive him away.

He should have showed up, shut up, and let the werewolves present judge him on his deeds and not his status as a Pure. We'd have been none the wiser until he had a bit of an argument in his camp. They'd be forced to recognize the Honor and the Glory in his deeds to routing the evil behind the disappearing Pure.

Instead he opened up with "I'm a Pure and proud of it.". Sorry Miles, but Swara does not know Pure can be turned (or she'd honestly try ) so all he gets is a cold shoulder. Them learning to get along would be tough and make for excellent stories but it'd out of character for Swara-Ann to accept him or make the first move towards accepting unless she's out voted by her pack. frown

No need for frownies!

Really, it is the good impetus for stories, this kind of frission. Swara doesn't know that Pure can take the oath; she might find out from this. Miles has just admitted he doesn't really know anything about the Forsaken (or much about the Pure) and is young. Trying to convert him over is an interesting story arch to have winding its way through the threads. Kara might get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to talk a Pure around to following Mother Luna, and barring that the pack may get a whipping boy for a while. wink

It's fine for this time.

However.

I want a bit more in posts from some of you, specifically in that if you're going to post, I would like it to be more than three sentences. I understand that sometimes there's not that much to say, but most especially when I have something going in a scene that is time sensitive (say, a slow-release poison), and I ask for at least three posts from people before having their character go batty from it, I'm wanting substantial posts.

Go strike up conversation with another PC. See out NPC's to interact with. Do something, don't just slap up a few senteces so you can get on to the freaking out stage. It isn't a marathon of who can go crazy first. If you're bored or don't know what to do in the scene, send me a PM and we'll set something up.

*shrugs* That's fine. Remiel doesn't know that nor at this point does he at all care. Charlie's been rude and condescending from his point of view and giving Remiel a first hand experience of the hubris mages from the last Consillium warned him about.

Charlie's made a host of odd assumptions about Remiel that don't really seem to flow from anything IC other than that Remiel didn't walk into the Consilium covered in spells.

Originally Posted By: Remiel Tabris
*shrugs* That's fine. Remiel doesn't know that nor at this point does he at all care. Charlie's been rude and condescending from his point of view and giving Remiel a first hand experience of the hubris mages from the last Consillium warned him about.

Charlie's made a host of odd assumptions about Remiel that don't really seem to flow from anything IC other than that Remiel didn't walk into the Consilium covered in spells.

If you think about it, aren't all Obrimos filled with hubris? wink
It's lack of any spell that really worries Charlie. Charlie is an ex-gang member, and the Mages are quietly gearing up for a conflict with the Seers. Be prepared is Charlie's thoughts.

Hey guys,

Sorry my posting has slowed down a bit, next week is finals for this session. I should be done with all that by end of Sunday. I'll have ST posts by the end of the weekend at the latest in Mage and PC posts by end of Monday.

If anyone needs anything or wants a plot stick, PM me at this account and I'll see what I can do. wink

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay on getting Changeling moving again, guys. I just started a new semester in school (3 classes this session, which is effectively 18 credit hours), and have been a bit busy. I'm getting the rythym of school down set, though, and there shouldn't be a long quiet spell again until finals in 7 weeks.

Is there anything anyone needs in changeling right now?

I'm looking to close this first plot thread out by mid-March (at the latest) and have probably a week or two weeks before starting up the next plot thread after that.

Cheetah Anar -

You need to revise your post in Winter's Night, for several different points:

1) The explosion was an explosion, not a small pop, and there would not have been an appreciable delay between hearing the initial blast and the blast wave hitting through the wall. Simply put, your character cannot hear the explosion and done everything you described before the wall came crashing down.

2) DO NOT MANHANDLE OTHER PEOPLE'S CHARACTERS. Yes, I am yelling. A certain amount of leeway on insignificant items in a post (ie, small movements, acknowledgements of having heard a piece of dialogue, etc.) are fine, but unless you have discussed the issue with the other player beforehand and been given permission to significantly alter something about the other player's character (and yes, this includes location), DON'T DO IT. This goes for everyone. If you're wanting to grapple Stephanie and move her, you need to declare that in the post, make the roll, and wait for resolution.

3) A speed of 28 would not have been fast enough to outrun an explosion. I haven't told people to make avoidance rolls or that they've taken damage, mostly because I don't care for this scene. Anar can be fine, having been far enough away or just conveniently out of the path of debris, but at the point the explosion hit the room he'd still be running out (at the quick clip of around 64 feet per second, but the fire and the heat are travelling much faster than that). Also, it'd take him the time from hearing the explosion and the wall crashing just to get to Stephanie. He could have thrown himself on top of her or somesuch, but unless you okay it with Stephanie's player first or make the roll for it to be involuntary, he hasn't picked her up.

Guys, when your posting in plot threads, this is like a TT game. When in doubt, wait and ask me in chat or send me a PM. Fic threads, have at on the caveat that fic threads can't kill off major ST NPC's or blow up half the city or other such major setting altering actions without ST involvement.

Anar - I'll give you until Wednesday to alter the post, if you haven't had time by then I'll remove it and PM it to you so that others can get on with the scene.

Cheetah Anar -

Just posting a roll isn't enough to continue on with the same action. Stephanie isn't an inanimate object. She has both a defense that hasn't been taken into account and the chance to act on her own.

Originally Posted By: the post above this one
If you're wanting to grapple Stephanie and move her, you need to declare that in the post, make the roll, and wait for resolution.

You can initiate combat with Stephanie by initiating a grapple with her. Then you have to wait. Stephanie gets her turn.

You don't get to pick her up and run around with her, ignoring her ability to react to affect the scene.

If you are doing something in a scene that requires a roll and involves other PC's, unless you've cleared it with the PC's involved first, you stop there until the rolls are resolved. This means you state the action that is causing the roll and you stop there.

Please re-edit your post again.

Ditto.

I've had 'Adam' smash through a few walls and is shouting for Steph but honestly that seems to come after the explosion, so I'm waiting since my narrative seemed to go ahead of the scene a bit.

Holla when you're ready for me.

Archived