Mutants & Masterminds: StarGate Freedom - [Prologue] A New Life (Jono/Bethany)

z-Servant of Ra

On Ra’s Flagship The Ank, docked at Cheyenne Mountain

Jono hated the time spent wasted here. He could be performing the search for the missing goa’uld himself – he trusted the computer, but it lacked his initiative ability. But when Ra demanded that the members of the Hellenistic pantheon gather, it was done. Thankfully, flying from The Triumph of Olympus to The Ank was a short trip, despite one being halfway around the world. Hopefully this meeting would be similarly short, so that he could get back to his work.

The long room was decorated with only one seat; Ra’s throne was before the doors to his private chambers. The other doors were the ones that everyone else entered by; massive slabs of wood and metal that were designed to make even the System Lords feel small. There were several other of his ‘fellow’ goa’uld gathered in Ra’s throne room. Jono assumed a bored look and waited for the party to get over.

aphrodite.jpg“Hi,” he heard a soft voice by his elbow. He didn’t need to look; he knew that voice.

“Hello, Aphrodite,” he said, feeling a nervous pinch in his gut as the gorgeous woman stopped beside him. He’d been avoiding Hephaestus’s wife, which was easy since she spent most of her time chasing Aries. But for this formal event, she looped her arm through his.

“How have you been?” she inquired, giving him a dazzling smile.

Jono could remember Hephaestus’s deep and unrequited love for this woman, the one who had been forced to marry him as punishment. He hadn’t been the goa’uld’s host at the time, but he remembered his pain when he caught her with Aries. “I’ve been good,” he said evenly.

“You haven’t been trying to contact me, husband,” she said softly.

Why, do you need something? he thought but he replied, “I decided to give you the space you seem to desire. The space from me.” Some of the bitterness of those memories leaked into the words.

She looked down and nodded. “Thank you.” There was an awkward pause. “We should dine together, before you leave.”

Jono didn’t have a chance to reply before the doors opened and a strange goa’uld walked in. “Who’s that?” he whispered, knowing that his social butterfly of a wife would know. Heph’s wife, not mine.

“Charon. He was given a new host from among the ones who attacked Ra,” she murmured back. “Apparently, the host is quite knowledgeable about the new way of life on Taur’i.” Behind Charon, the Jaffa came in dragging two prisoners. They were clearly such; the man struggled against the Jaffa while the woman stared at the strange people in the room.

At the other end of the hall, Ra appeared from behind his throne, proceeded by the children who served him. All the goa’uld bowed their heads; the Jaffa sank to their knees, forcing their prisoners down as well. The children dipped into a worship position, their small foreheads pressed to the floor. Ra swept to the throne and took his seat; of his pantheon, only Bast and Maat were here. The two female goa’uld flanked the throne, three steps down from it, their faces bored and impassive. Clearly, they felt no connection to the events happening here, which meant that it involved only the Hellenistic goa’uld.

Ra sat down and the goa’uld relaxed. The Jaffa didn’t move or allow the prisoners up. The children also remained down as Ra said, “We have won the war against the insolent bugs who dared to defy us.” Everyone in the room knew that ‘we’ was the royal we – Ra was talking only about himself. “You have all done well, aiding in the battle. I am granting rewards to those who have earned them.

“Cronus, you will be granted three star systems, the Orchi, the Worrodal and the Yim.” No one said anything, but quiet notes were being taken about Ra taking systems from Ba’al and Yu, and giving them Cronus. Cronus had offered his services to Ra when the invasion was announced, and they didn’t, despite the vast armies they held. It was Ra’s rebuke to them.

“Hades, step forward,” Ra announced. The tall goa’uld did, smirking a little. “You will be granted a new host, from among the conquered.” He extended his hand and pointed to the kneeling man. “That man has been selected for you.”

hades2.jpgHades frowned, but quickly hid it. He was stuck; if he demanded to select his own host, it would be an insult to Ra. The man wasn’t unattractive, from what Jono could see and he had Hades’ preferred build. Choosing your own host was a matter of preference that most goa’uld enjoyed. But Hades was trapped.

“Thank you, my lord,” he said to Ra, bowing his head and moving over to the man. “Hold him,” he demanded to the Jaffa. They shifted their grips on him so that he was held with the back of his neck bared to the goa’uld. Persephone came to her husband’s side, prepared to help move him to the new body. If she had any feelings on the matter, they were carefully hidden. Most of the gou'ald were nervously silent. There were two hosts there; who was the woman a 'gift' for?

Inside Jono was very tense and he knew it had to be sensed by Aphrodite. He didn't need his former tormentor's memories to know the woman was an excellent reader of people. He just hoped she perceived it as revulsion at Hades being forced to choose a body not of his own choice rather than the truth that he was disgusted that he couldn't do anything to help these people.

Dinner with her would be a torture in it's self both for the lingering memories and unwanted feelings he had for the woman and for the need to bluff his way through it. Perhaps he could make something useful of it. She was a font of knowledge about Goa'uld politics and current events. "So tell me wife, have you heard if others of us will be 'rewarded' as well? We've all done our parts. I don't want another host, it was bad enough going through the laming of this one, such would hardly be a reward."

"So it would seem," Aphrodite whispered, shifting and brushing her ample breast against his arm. He had a vivid memory of their wedding night, sudden and hot. Swallowing hard, Jono pushed that away. It seemed wrong to think of sex when he was watching a man turned into a host for a Goa'uld.

Hades' bowed his head, his eyes closed. Jono tried to see it as the humans must, but he couldn't, not when he knew what was coming. He forced himself to think of anything else - the problems he was working on, the way Aphrodite's hair smelled on his pillow - anything to keep the disgust and distress off his face. He could feel Hephaestus's wife looking at him closely, her green eyes on the side of his face, but he didn't look at her. He was afraid of what she would see.

Hades suddenly slumped to the ground. Persephone caught him and lowered him, showing her hidden strength. There was silence as the assembled watch the host body die, shed like an old skin as the true face of the goa'uld worked itself out of the body.

The symbiote crawled out of the dead host's mouth, and Jono was reminded again of how ugly it was. Persephone picked it up and carried it to the waiting man. He still struggled, even though he couldn't see what was happening. Persephone lowered him to the back of the new host's neck. Hades struck, his head burrowing into the man's neck. The human screamed; then he slumped to the floor, human no more.

Hades rolled onto his back as Persephone knelt next to him. He gave her a tentative smile with his new face; that was quickly wiped away as the goa'uld frowned. A look of fury passed his face but he said nothing as he carefully rolled to his feet.

The first show done, the others turned to Ra, to see who would be the next rewarded. Ra lifted his chin, clearly enjoying the moment. "Persephone, you have done great things to aid us. In reward, you will gain a new host with skills and abilities from this new world."

The young goa'uld froze at her husband's new side, her face turned away from Ra. Jono saw her expression; it was stricken. He watched her close her eyes and attempt to gather herself, but her pain as evident she turned and bowed to Ra was unmistakable. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice thick. "Your... generosity moves me to tears. Is it this woman?" She glanced at the Asian woman still held by the Jaffa.

"Yes." Ra's single word brought an open snarl of rage to Hades' face. The symbiote liked his wife's hosts to be young, about fifteen. This was an insult to him, as well as a gift to her. Ra looked at him, and Hades schooled himself to calm.

"Interesting," Aphrodite whispered, and Jono could feel her green eyes on him again.

Bethany watched the entire process in mute horror. She didn't know if the guards holding her let her pull her head up out of some sadistic streak or if they'd just forgotten about her while François was being....taken.

God in Heaven, what are those things?

Her mind made very unwelcome contributions as she saw François demeanor change and her eyes picked out Charon from the assembled....symbiotes. His expression was almost gleeful cruel as he watched her dawning realization. He smirked and then slowly pushed his glass up, a parody of the nervous habit she'd remembered of Dr. Jackson.

She couldn't understand the words, but she knew what was going to happen next. She also knew she had no chance of fighting off these guards and escaping; she didn't even know where she was. But the human mind was not so far removed from it's primitive relatives, and all animals fight for their survival.

Very quietly so that only Aphrodite could here. "Wife, I very much hope that Ra does not wish to reward us in the same fashion." He allowed just a touch of the tension and horror he felt to come out in his words. "I wonder what Hades did to offend?" It was an idle question not truly meant to be answered but more muttered under his breath, but again just loud enough for his 'wife' to hear, "Perhaps dinner would be a good idea, I have allowed myself to become too wrapped up in my work, it seems there are things happening that I was not aware of, things that might impinge on us." Jono had learned long ago that the true trick to pretending to be Hephaestus was not becoming cold and unfeeling, but rather to channel the feelings in a way that would seem 'right' for the Goa'uld.

The woman understood what was coming; she struggled against the Jaffa holding her. It was useless; she couldn't fight the men. Still she struggled, the fear on her face apparent until the Jaffa forced it down. Jono could hear her whimpers, and he wondered if he'd imagined Persephone flinching at them.

"She seems... reluctant," Aphrodite quietly noted. "Perhaps her host's appearance doesn't please her."

"She has no choice," Jono replied as softly. It was stating the obvious, but he found himself eager to keep talking to the beautiful woman on his arm.

Hades moved to her side and murmured to her. Persephone nodded and dropped to her knees next to her new host. With a shudder, she collapsed, the swift Goa'uld toxin working rapidly. It seemed to take longer, but the symbiote worked its way out of the host. Hades scooped his wife up, holding her gently. He placed her on the host's back, causing the woman to try to struggle harder. It was futile, and Persephone wiggled forward and struck.

The woman shrieked in pain before going limp. Hades pushed the Jaffa away and scooped her up in his arms. The goa'uld was murmuring to her as Aphrodite sighed, her expression soft. "He loves her so much," she murmured.

There were so many comments that Jono could make at that moment but he just kept his mouth shut. Nothing he could have said would have been very helpful right then. Some of the comments going though his might have made Aphrodite feel more affectionate toward him and that was not a good idea. Some would have angered her and that was even less wise.

In the end it didn't matter if Hades did love Persephone as much as a Goa'uld was capable of that emotion. Persephone would sell him out in a heartbeat. Wasn't that why she had approached him? Get into Ra's good graces in order to get out from under Hades' rule? Finally he did venture, "Do you believe she loves him in return?"

Aphrodite looked at him, and his eyes were caught in her green ones. "Are you still talking about Persephone?" she asked softly, holding herself very still as she looked at him. He couldn't tell what answer she was looking for, if any.

Bethany felt the thing burrowing into her neck. There was pain and the heart-rending fear of what was happening to her. She still felt herself go limp as her body stopped responding to her commands.

The pain stopped suddenly. Now Bethany became aware of the biting pressure of empty lungs; her attempts to inhale were for naught. She fought panic, wondering if it were killing her first. Someone turned her over, and she found herself in the arms of the other man - Hades. How did she know that?

I'm sorry for this. There's no time to do this properly.

The alien voice in her head was terrifying. She could feel the creature in her neck, but she could also feel it in her head. She tried to shudder, but still couldn't move. Then she felt herself take a breath and stir, but not the way she wanted. Attempts to move her hand were met with failure.

Emotions crowded into her as she became more aware of her body. There was also knowledge - more than she could comprehend right now. Anger, guilt and grief were all swirling in her, but she was sure they were not her emotions. With horror, she realized they were from the thing in her.

Please don't fight. I will explain shortly, but I need your cooperation to get us out of this alive. The voice was shaky with emotion, but unyielding. Be calm and don't distract me.

"How are you?" Hades asked, stroking her hair. Bethany blinked as she realized that she could understand his language.

"Tired," she heard herself whisper.

"It's alright, darling," he murmured back, holding her close. "We'll get through this."

It was very difficult to pull his eyes away from the goddess of love. Inside his head there was a mix of emotions only a few of them his. In the last fifty years or so there had been a couple evenings where the snake in his head had gone to sleep and he, the host, had lain with his 'wife'. He sighed quietly, "I can barely think straight when you look at me like that." It not criticism and he was sure Aphrodite would take it as a compliment.

He fought the alien feelings that the symbiote's memories had left behind. "Things have changed, they are changing." He continued to keep his voice low enough that no one else but she could hear. "I can't keep working on my projects like this. Even during the worst of being under Cronus' thumb I always had my place. Now I am uprooted and pushed halfway across the galaxy and forced to work from a makeshift lab and held on reserve in case the ship needs repair like I am some slave priest. We should have dinner soon and discuss the future."

She was looking up at François, but she wasn't. He was Hades now, she knew, even if she didn't understand. She kept trying to move, to pull the alien out of her or at least scream. Screaming would be nice now and she was doing a fair amount of it silently in her head.

If you don't stop and I can't concentrate enough to act properly, they'll kill us both. Please, calm down or we're both dead. The voice was wavering between compassion and commanding and was, above all, compelling. Bethany could feel her emotions settling out in a rush of chemical catalysts; the primordial fear was receding and her frontal lobe was beginning to function again.

She could hear the alien in her assessing the situation, murmuring correctly back to Hades and acting in the demure and 'defenseless' way that he had fostered in his wife for millenia. Even for Persephone, it had been an act. Bethany reached out tentatively to the mind in control of her body, You're not her, are you?

No. The thought was curt, but Bethany could feel the wash of relief go through the alien. I will explain, but for now understand that the Goa'uld don't allow their hosts any sort of control, any sort of independent existance, once they've been taken. If they seem me struggling for control over you, they will either know what I am or assume that I am weak. Either way, it ends badly for us.

There was a pause and a strange pressure in her mind; when the voice spoke again it was with a deep compassion. Bethany, the next few days are going to be very difficult. We will have to do things, pretend to be someone, and you will have to forget that the body Hades is using right now is someone that you knew. François, at least for now, is gone. We're fighting a war, Bethany, for your world and thousands of others. I know you didn't agree to this, but you're a soldier now-

The world had been moving on. Persephone and Hades had presented themselves to Ra in their new forms and again thanked him for his 'gifts'. Other tokens were given out: star systems, ships, mining and fleet rights, skilled slaves, and so on. 'Persephone' had cut off her inner monologue with Bethany to listen intently as Ra began outlining what would happen with Tuar'i. Earth. This entire invasion had been mostly a temper-tantrum on the god-king's part for the audacity of the Taur'i to attack him on Abydos, but it was a world with some technological advancement and a human population nearly ten thousand times the size allowed on Goa'uld controlled worlds. Control of this world could change, or even tip, the balance of power amongst the System Lords.

Aphrodite smirked at his comment; she had not taken it as insult. Her hands tightened on Jono's arm, but that grip softened as she considered his words. "It is true that returning Taur'i to our power is a massive change." She paused and glanced at him thoughtfully. He didn't like that look, and he liked it less when she said, "Your host was from here, wasn't it? We do have much to talk about." She put a hand on his chest, smirking when his heart jumped in response to the intimate touch. Leaning in further, her lips - which he knew so well - brushed his ear as she whispered, "There are many things we should... discuss."

ares.jpgThe promise was false - how many times had Hephaestus fallen for teasing hints like that? As if to remind him of the reality, he felt eyes on him and glanced up to see Ares glaring at him from across the room. The god of war knew that his lover had to be seen with the lame god to keep up the appearances of marriage. But such an overt display of affection would be noticed by the brash and possessive goa'uld.

Persephone and Hades were shakily standing. Ra made them wait until the rewards were passed out, then dismissed court. The two newly-hosted goa'uld began to slowly walk out, stopped from time to time to be congratulated. The delivery of those well-wishes said much about the feelings of the goa'uld toward the two.

Aphrodite offered fairly neutral remarks, but her expression was coy as she looked to Hephaestus, waiting for him to deliver one of his usual blunt statements.

He couldn't help blushing in both embarrassment and anger at the emotions that she could so effortlessly stir in him. He narrowed his eyes at Aphrodite's comment, "Yes, but the T'auri seem to have made a great deal of advancement in the time since I took this host. Still, I think I understand them well enough for our purposes and even with their small progress they don't have anything that I would be interested in."

He ignored Ares, the man had been staring looks at him like that for thousands of years, nothing new today. He was a very dangerous enemy, but one already made.

As the two made their way up to the pair of 'rewarded' goa'uld, he just grunted noncommittally but there was a certain sympathy in his eyes. "Congratulations." There was a ring to his voice that said there was nothing to be congratulated about.

Hades made a similar return grunt and something that may have been words passed from his lips. Hephaestus wasn't a threat, and had been neither condescending nor rude, so there was little point in lingering near him. Aphrodite was afforded slightly more congenial fair, but only out of respect for her...alliance...with Ares.

Persephone greeted Aphrodite's careful remarks with own well-chosen words; this wasn't the time for gossip and 'Persephone' had far more interest in the Hellenistic Greek Goa'uld's 'husband' than in her. Still, her gossip was useful and it wouldn't due to put her off. Hephaestus was given a demure, "Thank you," as she leaned into to Hades. Haphaestus could feel the intensity of her gaze, however, both more serious and more melancholy in this older body. She looked out of place in the Hellinistic pantheon now, a splash of cinnamon against the bronze of her husband.

Hades ushered them both out, passing the last few 'well-wishers' with a haste bordering on rude. Outside, he fumed as they made their way back to their guest quarters on the ship. "How did he find out?" he fumed, nearly dragging Persephone through the corridors by the arm he still had wrapped in his.

"I do not know, husband," Bethany felt her expression shift to one of wide-eyed innocence and worry. She'd never been so aware of every nuance of her body as she was now. Then again, her body used to respond to her. "Could it have been something else? Perhaps an enemy calling in a favor in return for support in this little conquest of his?"

There was, of course, no need to name who they were talking about. The question gave the God of the Underworld a moment's worth of pause, stalling their rush through the ship long enough for him to lean down and kiss Bethany lightly on the lips. "That could be, my wife," he said as he caressed her cheek. This new body was entirely too old and not nearly as beautiful as the one he had chosen for her the last time they held this mud-pit of a world; but she was still Persephone, whatever human shell she wore. He settled her arm more comfortable in his and continued walking, though at a more reasonable pace now. "I would not count on it, though," he explained in that condescending way of men who think women, or at least their woman, just doesn't quite understand how the real world works. "With him, it is best to assume the worst and ensure that even your allies cannot harm you."

He loves her.

Only so much as he is capable of love. He would kill her for enough power or a chance to make himself the new Ra. True love requires the ability to put another before yourself.

She felt herself simper up at Franç-Hades and reply softly, "You know best, beloved."

Many other Greek goa'uld were following the newly hosted couple. They were headed toward the Tel'tek that would take them back the The Triumph of Olympus. Already, talk and speculation about what today's events were surfacing, and Bethany heard more than one whisper about herself. It reminded her a little of high school - cliques and whispers. Then she remembered a page from history and decided it sounded a lot like the Western Courts of Europe.

'Persephone' glanced back at Jono; Bethany caught troubled thoughts about a removed host. Then the 'goa'uld' stumbled on her robes and fell weakly. Hades caught her and pulled her to her feet again, his face worried and drawn. "Are you alright?"

"Just worn out," she whispered, leaning against the strange body of her 'husband'.

Jono had a slightly easier time of it. Aside from Ares' glares, he was ignored by most of the other 'snakes'. The only person paying real attention to him was Aphrodite. "What would you like for dinner tonight?" she asked, looking up at him through lowered eyelashes. Her hands were hot on his arm. He could feel them acutely all the way back to Cronus' flagship.

Jono considered, "I believe I would like a steak. It is something that this host enjoyed from this world. Hot red meat cooked rare with local seasonings. That would be good." He waved his free hand dismissively. "Do not trouble yourself in ordering it done, I'll have whatever your slaves prepare."

Jono was curious about Persephone she didn't seem to have taken complete control of her host. Was she lame like Heph had been, or was it something else?

As much as he wanted to learn what he could from Aphrodite he almost wished he could rush back to his lab. Now he really wanted to watch what was going to happen with Persephone and her new host. Was she playing him?

The waiting Tel'tek ferried them back to Cronus' flagship. Once there, Aphrodite ferried him back to her rooms. They were gorgeously appointed, as befitted the Goddess of Love and Passion. Several slaves - Aphrodite always had more than most - knelt quickly on the floor, their faces shining with the desire to serve their goddess. "Food," she ordered, "now."

As they ran off, she signalled another hovering nearby to come to her. When he did, she murmured, "Get me out of this." The slave nodded and began to tug at the zipper. Leave it to Aphrodite to assimilate to the local fashion within hours of invading a new planet; her dress' cut was very modern. He hadn't noticed in the tense situation his room, but as the garment slithered off her body, he was very aware of it. Another slave brought her a translucent robe, which did nothing to hide her matching lace bra and underwear, or the stockings which were attached to her garter belt.

Turning, she went to the couch and sprawled on it. Centuries of practice guaranteed that even her most casual and careless of movements were infused with sensuality. "Now, my dear husband," she purred, "what do you need to be comfortable? Just name it and it will be provided."

Bethany and Hades went to their suites; it took some time, but Persephone managed to cajole him into his bed. She had to curl up with him to do it, but when they had settled, Persephone finally turned her attention to Bethany.

Now... let me explain as much as I can, the body-invader began. You have been caught in a war. As the creature spoke, knowledge flooded Bethany's mind - information about the invaders and who they were. And mixed in was the information she needed about her body-mate - Shayltar was something other than goa'uld, similar but different. We are now Tok'ra. I'm sorry for the way this has come about; it was never meant to be like this. Guilt and grief flooded Bethany as Shayltar continued. I am an assassin, one who was to get close to Ra and make him trust us. The plan is to kill him... but I am trying to not get myself or my host killed. So for now, we're spying on the goa'uld for the Tok'ra.

Jono watched as the goddess undressed, he couldn't have helped it if he had tried and he had no desire to try. When she had settled herself artfully on the couch he visibly took hold of his desire and focused. Best way to deal with Aphrodite was not to ignore her charms but to do your best to express them and ride them and in the end try and remember that it was a snake in the woman's head that he was really dealing with not the beautiful woman she appeared to be.

"Comfortable? I'll never be comfortable until I have this thing out of my leg..." He let bitterness enter his voice.

"But that will never happen so long as we submit to Cronus." Seeing the question forming in his 'wifes' eyes he added, "No, I do not plan any treachry...." He let the sentence trail off seemingly finished but not. "So tell me wife, what can be done to improve our situation, that will not leave me with another bad leg?"

"Why do you ask me of treachery, husband?" Aphrodite asked him, shifting into a slightly different position. With her legs stretched out like that, they seemed a million miles long, all smooth and soft up to the triangle of her panties. She radiated lust and heat like a delightful furnace as she added, "What does the goddess of love have to do with politics and treachery?"

Without letting him answer, she rose gracefully and walked toward him. "Please, have a seat," she told him. "I know how uncomfortable walking is for you." She offered him a hand; when he took it, so warm and smooth against his hand, she guided him to a chair at her small table. As she took the other chair, a servant brought two goblets and poured wine for them.

"You spoke of improvements, which I might be able to help with," she told him, the dark wine casting a slight tint over her lips as she lowered the cup. "But what are you thinking? I know you, my long husband. You always have a reason for everything you say."

I don't understand.....but slowly she was starting to. She was seeing and then remembering Shayltar's life, even as she knew Shayltar was experiencing her own. It was eerie and embarrassing and fascinating.

She could feel the Tok'ra's pride at having made it so close to Ra, and her anguish at the death of Amailee, the girl that had been Persephone's host and prisoner for thousands of years. Shayltar was lost in Bethany's wonder when her daughter was born, and the anger and frustration that led her an ocean away from her husband and nearly into the arms of another man. The greater galaxy in all it's horrific wonder was laid before the Senator's wife even as the assassin that now shared her body nearly crumbled under the emotional weight of their lives. Curled up on the bed, they wept silently.

"I speak of no treachery wife, neither old or new. I'm only saying I am unhappy with the way things are at present and I am feeling of a mind to improve the situation for myself. At the least I want a ship of my own rather that be always under the thumb of another. Then I could pursue my work without bother. This world has much to offer in the way of resources even if it doesn't have naquadah. The knowledge this host had of this world could earn us favor if I had what I needed." That had been a tough speech to make with the goddess of love tormenting him.

Sitting he frowned at the drink in his hand. "I want more slaves too. If I'm going do more I need more tools." He said the last as if thinking aloud, but in truth it was a calculated thing. He did want more slaves, but only so he could try to form a resistance that could help free Earth someday. And Damn the Tok'ra! The thought came unbidden but heartfelt. If they could rescue him why couldn't they do something to help humanity?

• 2 weeks later...

"Good luck getting a ship," Aphrodite said, her lips quirking up in a smile. "Cronus despises you, and he'll be controlling the fleet left here. And it will be a limited fleet; rumors are that Ra is pulling many resources away to try to find more naquadah-rich planets before the Asgard can make them protectorates. Apparently the gray worms are displeased that we grabbed up this world before they knew it was here." The gorgeous goa'uld smiled coyly at him. "If you are successful, I demand use of it, my husband. It is only fair of you to share with your wife.

"Slaves on the other hand..." Her voice trailed off as she watched him closely. "We have slaves aplenty now. This world has six billion humans on it. I'm sure you can have as many slaves as you can feed and control. I am satisfied with what I have, on that account."

Her slaves moved forward to bring bread and spiced olive oil, setting it between them before fading into the background again. Aphrodite tore a piece of the bread off and soaked it in the oil. "Hephaestus, what did Persephone want?" Her green eyes met his boldly, letting him see how serious she was about getting an answer. The question was asked with intent; she had purposefully kept her tone and the subject light until her pointed question.

Jono frowned more than once during his 'wife's' speech. "I don't expect to get a ship, but it's what I want. It would make my work so much easier." He sighed but there was frustration evident in it, frustration with having to play this game, but to Aphrodite hopefully it would seem frustration at not having a ship, there was certainly some of that too. "Should I ever acquire a ship you will be most welcome on it my wife."

"As for Persephone, it was about slaves that she came to see me. Specifically to 'give' me one. No doubt a spy to take back word of my work to her and her devoted husband. Still, I can make use of him until I tire of him. Until Ra takes back the fleet and goes in search of his Naquadah, I have no real work anyway. After that perhaps I will find an amusing way to dispose of the slave." He hoped that would be enough of an answer to satisfy. It was always a game with her, and a very dangerous one at that. She was far too good at reading people to lie to, especially him. The only way to stand a chance at keeping any secrets was to use the emotions he felt in a deceptive fashion, let frustration over one thing be perceived as annoyance over another.

"So Hades' wife is giving you slaves?" Aphrodite asked, and there was still that serious tone in her voice that belied the casual way she tore the bread and ate. "How unlike her. Such a quiet, mousey little thing... and suddenly, she's so giving."

Those lovely green eyes remained locked on his as she asked, "Is she promising you a ship now?"

Jono smiled amused. "No it wasn't her doing. It apparently came from Hades, she was just doing his bidding."

He frowned then, "And no, she isn't offering a ship. I was actually hoping you might help with that. Thanks to my host I might know of a few useful places to plunder on this world if things haven't changed too much since I acquired the body. But I can't do anything about them without a ship. Would Mars be willing to lend you a ship? He hates me for being your husband, but I would use his resources if you can get them. I would even share the rewards with him providing I get what I want out of it." There was obvious dislike to that idea.

"Hades has little love for you, either, husband. Don't lie to me!" Aphrodite snapped, her voice tight. Jono was a little thrown off - he'd never seen her act like this with Hephaestus before. He wasn't sure what she was thinking, which was a little odd because he had thought he knew her and her whims. But she was glaring at him in a way that she'd never at Hephaestus.

The wineglass in her hand shook a little, then cracked. With a pained cry, the beautiful goa'uld threw it across the room, shattering it as she clutched her hand to her. Blood, not her own, but her host's ran down her arm. Beautiful eyes looked at him, silently pleading for his help.

Jono let a little fire enter his own voice, "Since when is placing a spy in someone's midst showing them favor?" He frowned, thinking fast trying to figure out what was making her react in such an out of character way. Could it really be jealousy? He smiled. "Wife, could it possibly be that you are jealous?"

He was expecting an attack after that question but hoped it wouldn't come. With his lame leg and lack of a symbiote he might not survive if she really did.

But what was that look in her eyes? Was something of the host staring out at him? His expression softened, "What is wrong?"

"What is wrong?" Aphrodite asked, her voice bitter enough to poison. "I should ask you that." She rose to her feet, turning and walking from him, displaying her body with the practice of centuries. "Things have changed. I have changed."

"You?" Jono asked carefully. "What are you saying?"

"I must have changed," she whispered dramatically, her back still to him. He had to lean forward to hear her. "I must have, for you do not love me like you did."

She turned to face him, tears welling in her incredible eyes. "I can see the distance in your eyes, feel it in your touch." Her face twisted into a pained grimace. "Who is it? Is it Persephone? Are you fucking her?"

He couldn't tell if they were tears of anger or sorrow; the goddess of love was in full drama mode.

There was no good answer, there was no right answer, and there was no way out of this with any level of grace. He let anger rise in himself. "I am loyal to my marriage." The implication being that the godess of love was not. "What do you expect of me, that I will be always your lapdog to come running when you beckon, when you are tired of your lover?" He had said that one thing that had remained always unsaid.

"You are my wife! Yet for thousands of years you've had an alliance with Mars. Have I ever once questioned you on it? No! I love you and always have. Knowing you were with him has always caused me more pain that some stick of metal in my leg. I welcome the pain in my leg compared to what I feel every time I think of you and him together!!!" The emotions spilling out now were real, he'd been with the symbiote for too long not to feel rage and betrayal and passion and even to an extent love.

"No, I have not been with anyone. No one would have me, lame like this, not Persephone, not any of us. Only you, and you are with me only as punishment for some wrong so old even I don't remember it. It is like a dagger in my gut knowing you only come to me out of duty and pity." He threw his own glass to shatter against a wall with all the force he could muster and stared at his 'wife' with hurt and anger in his face.

"Oh, you are so blind!" Aphrodite spat. Jono had never seen the goddess of love so worked up by anything. "It's not about your leg, Hephaestus, it was never about the Ra-damned leg." Her eyes were bitter and angry as she hissed, "It was your ambition! Or your lack of it. Your leg... it wasn't about the leg, ever! It was because you never attempted to fix it! You never tried to curry favor with Ra to get him to have it removed."

She straightened, all furious beauty. "I allied myself with Ares because he has ambition!" She shook her head. "I'm the goddess of love, and what do the goa'uld need love, save as a weapon?"

She turned from him, refusing to meet his eyes. Her bearing was haughty and unassailable. "You should go, husband."

Jono was shocked. Not really by what she had said, he agreed with her about that. Hephaestus was about as spineless as a snake could get. What shocked him was that she was honest and had actually come out and said it. She really must be upset by something.

He couldn't help it. He laughed, at first quietly then stronger as if he couldn't control himself which he really couldn't. He might well be risking his life to laugh right at this moment, but if so then he would die will laughter on his lips.

Her fury as she turned to face him was evident and it only mildly worried him as he tried to gain control of himself again. In a very dangerous and quiet tone she asked, "What exactly do you find so amusing, husband?

"This situation. The irony of it all." He made a placating gesture as he got to his feet cane in his right hand and making a fist with his other in an unconscious gesture reassuring himself that his kara'kesh was still there. "That you say this to me now, today, after all these long years, on the very day I come to you with ambition in my heart instead of blind devotion."

He sobered and looked at her seriously and with a little sadness, "You are right and I've always known it. Deep down, I was ashamed I was not more ruthless. But I also knew I was not cut out to be a system lord. My 'work' was always too important to me. I dreamed that someday I would create something that would elevate me and make the others bow before me...." He sighed, "It was a foolish dream. I've created many things and all it got me was chained to a master who despises me."

His own expression became harder as he headed slowly and painfully toward the door. "No more. I've come back to this place where I was once whole, where memories of not being the lame god haunt my dreams. Where this host came from. No more."

As he passed where Aphrodite stood he stopped and looked her in the eyes and his gaze was steady and level and as strong as the god of war. "My feelings for you have not changed, they never will, but what you perceived today as lack of devotion to you was just an awakening of ambition; something in my heart other than the pathetic fawning that was the old way. I love you, but I will no longer be a simpering fool. I may not have what it takes to make it to the top, but I will no longer remain at the bottom." He tried to judge her mood, not in a cringing way Hephaestus might have done but calmly. "If you want a court fool, then you will do well be rid of me now. If you want an ally more worthy as your equal then call on me."

He continued his slow and painful pace toward the door but somehow the shuffle had more dignity to it than it had before. Jono had wanted to tell her off for half a century but could never have done so when Hephaestus inside him. It didn't help that his own past had too closely mirrored that of his symbiote. He had loved Katherine and had sacrificed his own life trying to save her fiancee. Sure it had been noble, but it had also been the action of a real sucker. If he'd had more balls he would have just told Katherine how he felt and maybe after Ernst was lost she could have loved him, but no, instead he'd ended up the host to the lame god, a sucker of cosmic proportions.

As he neared the door he smiled. Maybe she would strike him dead while he had his back turned before he could exit... but it had felt so good to have a backbone for once in his life.

"Hephaestus," Aphrodite called, and Jono stopped. "This isn't going to change anything, at least, not right now. But continue to prove that you're the partner that I seek, and I'll be the partner you've been seeking. Let that be a start."

There was a new expression in her eyes; gone was the intolerance and disdain. Instead, there was a hint of regard that hadn't been there before. With a nod, she saw him out of the room.

He hadn't gotten dinner, but he might have gotten something else, instead.

Click to reveal..
You can head over to the A New Ally thread; I'll have Bethany join you there once you've RPed through that mess.

Archived