Aberrant: Mutant High - Accessibility [complete]

Curtis Shane

Curtis wasn't sure what this was about. He'd been called to Drumm's office, and all indications pointed at trouble. Of course, there was no reason he could pinpoint for the summons. He went over every possibility and came up blank.

No incidents he'd been involved in, and it didn't seem like Drumm was concerned with the double cross he'd pulled on Ren. Ren was, but that was another issue.

His hacking of the school's computers and use of cyberkinesis to track the files of incoming students was not beatable, he figured. So what was it then?

Gracie, the secretary leaned over and told him that Drumm wanted to see him now.

Well, he thought as he got up, time to plunge into the river.

As Curtis entered Director Drumm greeted him with a smile. "Good afternoon Mr. Shane. Pleasure of you to stop by, please, sit."

He motioned to the large chairs in front of his desk, specifically to the one Miss Vincent warmed not just a day or so prior. His expression was nothing short of polite and charming as he watched the teen enter and sit.

Then there was silence. He looked at Curtis, the wide smile never leaving his face. The look turned to a stare...

Curtis keen mind quickly grasped the situation: Director Drumm knew something, and was waiting to see if Curtis knew the same. In short, he patiently waited for a confession with a wide smiled 'you know what you did' look on his face.

His brow quirked up a bit. "No, actually Ms. Childs brought me the reports for our firewall, you know the one, I'm sure."

He clicked his three hundred dollar pen and jotted something down, most likely the implicated students, Curtis thought.

"However," He clicked the pen again and tucked it neatly away into his inside jacket pocket. "I'm not angry about that." He held up his index finger. "I am angry by the way, I just hide it well. Tell me Mr. Shane, you hacked into our top of the line database, exposed loopholes in out security measures, and cut through our firewalls encryption like it was wax paper. But I'm not angry about it."

He steepled his hands and rest his chin upon his thumbs. "Any guess why that might be, Mister Shane?"

Curtis knew automatically, and finally he realized it, causing a bit of shame to appear on his face. "Because it's private material about them that shouldn't be touched with a ten-foot pole. And you feel I could have done whatever I want with it. I'm not that low, mind you. I only looked to satisfy my curiosity."

The Director weighed his response, and finally stretched a frown in thought as his head bobbed from side to side. "Very good, Mister Shane."

He stood up from his chair and proceeded to walk around his desk toward where Curtis sat. "I have very little rules, Mr. Shane. That is because I honestly believe that you, as young mutants, should have the opportunity to explore your abilities and most of all, enjoy your youth."

"But you're only half right." He sat on the edge of his desk and looked at Curtis and clasped his hands in front of him. "Yes, it is private material. But while I allow all those who attend this facility to explore who they are and what they can do, one of my most unbreakable rules is: it mustn't victimize anyone else at this school."

"Not yourself, or me, or the younger classmen, or that odd looking Moroccan janitor who relieved himself in his pants the other day as Kazuo miscalculated one of his landings." If Drumm was angry, he hid it well. The man wasn't harsh or condescending with any of his words, he simply spoke calmly and clearly. "Those files you browsed are no ones business but the school's and the individual student. In essence Mr. Shane, you victimized me and this school with your hacking, and that, honestly I can forgive, but you also single-handedly victimized every student at this school by betraying their trust and their privacy. Think about that."

There was an eerie silence for a moment as The Director's glare never left contact with Curtis's.

"Tell me, all things considered, was it worth it just to satisfy your curiosity?"

Considering that the list of victims largely included folks who could physically beat Curtis into a pulp, which frankly could apply to many at the school... Curtis realized that the repercussions could be huge.

But frankly, he had not intended it as such. As a result, the pained nod and look he gave Drumm was composed of a mixture of actual shame, and fear. "I think..." he gulped then continued.

"I think it wasn't sir, not that everything is put like that."

"Curtis," It wasn't very often used a first name, but the gulp gave the boy away. "I can tell that you really don't get what I'm saying. Sure, if this leaked out several of your peers would want to settle up with you for it. But they haven't found out, nor will they."

"The big picture here, Curtis, is that you have shown a great deal of disrespect to not only myself and this faculty, but to your friends and fellow classmates. So blinded by your curiosity that you thought only of yourself. Much like you were when you just gave me that answer."

"Luckily, I just saved a ton on my car insurance, so I'm in a good mood." Director Drumm grinned, letting Curtis chew on that morsel of wisdom prior to the car insurance. "So, no tether. Walk out of here knowing two things: One, you hold the record for disrespect on a massive scale. And two, you're not getting a tether because one slip of my tongue and Kilo will be giving you atomic wedgies until the end of time."

Curtis glanced back. "I am aware of both parts of this picture sir. And I see your point. May I presume that I can walk out now?" He wanted to get out of here, overwhelmed with thought about his actions and the consequences.

Drumm finally nodded. "Yes, you may." Curtis got up, respectfully nodded, and walked out, and continued walking until he was far into the quad.

He sat down in the snow and wondered how one could be so blind in his actions? Then a thought occurred to him, there was someone who could answer that... If he didn't shoo Curtis away immediately...

Archived