Aberrant: Mutant High - Making Room for Two [complete]

Curtis Shane

Two months ago

Curtis stretched for a moment, using the empty second bed as his lying place. The extra space was nice, if only for a little bit. He started considering what would occur shortly enough.

Gale had left shortly before with all his stuff, the former senior having been sent off to the collegiate dorms where he would now stay. The air-controller had been a steady client for tutoring, but it made little difference in such an academically challenging school.

Curtis already knew he'd had a roommate assigned to replace Gale already. Female too, but Curtis wasn't interested in any physical relationship, despite the normal physiological responses that had cropped up now and then again.

The junior got up and then began making sure his space was reasonably clean. It paid to be presentable.

Jamie, on the other hand, was a bit apprehensive about having a male roommate, and was seriously considering backing out of this and requesting another room. What if he was a creep? It wasn't like she could just stay far, far away from him...

And so, it was with no little trepidation that she swung open the door, a bag around her shoulder, and...promptly tripped over her own feet and sprawled into the room.

"Ow," Jamie said faintly.

Jamie groaned and accepted the hand, pulling herself up. She touched her knee gingerly, pretty sure something had been jarred loose there. Like a bone or three. "Thanks, uh..." she looked up and assessed what was presumably her roomie. Average height, average looks, probably bookish. Probably a repressed hentai freak, her mind whispered, but she ignored it and said, "Hi, I'm Jamie" as brightly as she could, smiling a little, but not too much, lest he get any ideas.

"And..." she glanced around the room, looking for any telltales of an unhealthy tentacle obsession. Or, you know, any other strangeness, "It looks like we're rooming together."

When in doubt, state the obvious.

The only possible strangeness, depending on Jamie's point of view, was the assortment of computer and electronic parts, devices, etc.

Curtis nodded. "Curtis. And, since Gale left for the college, I was expecting a replacement sometime." He noted Jamie's nervous looks with a raised eye. "New here?"

"Uh, yeah, pretty new to the whole mutant thing, actually," Jamie said, scratching the back of her head. She walked to the bed that looked most unused and plopped her bag on top of it. Either she had surprisingly little stuff or other bags were waiting in the wings. Curtis would notice, though, as he listened to her voice, that it seemed to modulate oddly; mostly a pleasantly melodious, if rather deep voice, that would suddenly dive into a hoarse croak on certain syllables.

Jamie pulled up the sleeves of her white turtleneck and kicked her shoes under the bed. Then she turned, smoothing out the wrinkles (!?) in her jeans as she did so, and faced Curtis again. "I guess you're an old hand, then. Was your other roommate also a girl? Is that, like, the standard here?"

Curtis sat back on his bed. "A year and a few months. Gale, he was a guy, G-A-L-E. He had air control, you see. But we've got a mixture of same-sex and coed rooms. If you wanted, you could have asked to room with another girl, if you didn't know already."

He shrugged, relaxing quietly. "The classes are intense though, by normal standards. PE is power practice, essentially. What kind of abilities have you got, if it's ok to ask?"

"Um, yeah. I can manipulate space. Make portals to places, and...and stuff." Jamie decided not to mention the ESP. That made people really uncomfortable for some reason, like she had nothing better to do than watch them shower or ferret out all their secrets. She flopped down on the bed, drawing her knees up and settling her elbows against them. "What about you? Any nifty skills?" She glanced around again. "Other than with electronics, apparently."

"Yeah," Jamie said faintly. "You could say that."

He wasn't being condescending. He was not being condescending. He wasn't - okay, he was, but so what? I should probably be thankful he hasn't tried to talk to me in Python or something.

She began rifling through her stuff, throwing the clothes onto her bed. A Bible followed, a big one with LUTHERAN STUDY BIBLE on the spine, then what looked like a plastic bag full of toiletries and holy shit is that all she had? Oh, no. It wasn't.

She also had some photographs.

Jamie looked up and nodded hesitantly. She wasn't fully comfortable discussing her faith with people who shared different views. "Yeah...Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, born and raised." She flopped down and slid the Bible under her bed, incidentally giving Curtis a nice view of her ass as she did so, and scrambled up again to sit cross-legged on the bed, looking at her clothes and biting her lip. She looked like she barely had enough to get through the week. "...need to go shopping soon," she muttered to herself.

Jamie laughed. "No, I'm from Rhode Island. It's called the Missouri Synod because it started in Missouri, but the LCMS is all over the country now."

She began folding her clothes, not really paying attention to what she was doing. "So, um, what do you guys do for fun around here? Besides mess with computers," she added, grinning.

Curtis shrugged again. "There's a pool, quad, basically anything that you could do at a private school." He smiled in response. "That's just me though."

Inside, he grinned wider. As long as his reptilian brain section surfacing as little as possible... well, right now things were fine enough.

They should stay that way, he decided.

Archived