Aberrant: Mutant High - Project: Youtube Civics

Curtis Shane

Saturday 26, 2009

To: Jaunt

I had a field day with that hacking, Jaunt. You got me out of classes because I fixed up your mission statement 'adjustments' and ensured that wouldn't happen again.

On the bright side for you, you're out of cleaning the toilets as punishment, so I have a little video project in mind for the two of us.

And this time, we're talking a larger audience. Meet me in the library if you're up for a "civics presentation."

Curtis

To: Curtis

Glad you liked it! Why'd you change it? Because I called Mrs. 'Wanna have my Childs' a brassbound <bleep>? Hehe.

Dude, not happen again!?! Your Encrypt-Fu is weak!

I'll see at the 'brary. This junk I gotta hear.

Jaunt

Curtis was waiting in the library, coat carefully hung on the chair he was sitting in. While waiting, he ran a hand through blond hair and calculated a rough mental sketch of how to utilize some programs he wrote to cover the work on hacking open and infiltrating Youtube's linking processes.

Jaunt, he hoped would provide some assistance in selecting and combined the most pointed and effective content for the video that would strike the nation hard when they were ready.

Just the right thing to do. Raise awareness, build support. Help us all out.

"W'shakin' bro!?" The sudden grasp from behind Curtis on his shoulders about startled the poor computer geek into having a heart attack. Jaunt chuckled as he walked about, coming into Curtis's view. "Dude, you shoulda seen you jump! Ha!"

"SHHHH!" Several other students looked at them and scowled.

"Kay, chill." He raised up his hands. "Damn people, relax."

The mutant sat down, swishing his trademark purple leather trench coat aside so he wouldn't sit on it, and kicked his feet up. "So, w'sup?"

"Almost about to take back my offer." Curtis growled in rage. He'd been so engrossed in thought that Jaunt's sudden actions had set him off balance.

He took a calming breath. "Don't do anything like that again, understand? I'd like a promise of that before I tell you what I asked you here for."

"Chill dude, what's with all the cloak and dagger?" Jaunt, looked at his 'not-quite-partner-in-crime' yet and quirked an eye brow. "But, okay... I promise I won't scare you into crappin' yer pants in the library anymore. My bad."

He grinned again. Jaunt, while no where in the vicinity of Curtis's intelligence, was still a very bright kid who, despite his intellect, would rather spend his time chasing girls and enjoying his mutanthood. "I'd like to point, before we start, that you asked me for my help, not the other way around there Mr. Medulla. So gimme the deallio' or you can leave me the low-down at the ding-dong and I'll be like, hasta!"

He leaned in a bit. "Ya feel me?"

Curtis nodded. "You gave me the promise, so here's the idea as it stands. In simple terms, it's this. We make a pro-mutant rights video, comparing the prevailing stance to such events as the Holocaust, various genocides, the WWII treatment of Japanese etc. Then, it goes on Youtube under a freshly created account. Finally, I hack the site, so that all links to Youtube direct to our video for the next seven days following upload, impossible to delete during that time. Would this appeal to you?"

"So, in a nutshell," He folded his hands over and rested them on his stomach. "You want to post a video on YouTube to make a general statement about crimes against mutants in some attempt to promote awareness, and you wanna do this by committing a federal crime?"

"Dude, I had no idea you had the balls."

Curtis laughed at Jaunt. "Read history and tell that to the Underground Railroad. After the Fugitive State Act, what they were doing was illegal but that didn't stop them."

His voice grew concerned and so did his look at Jaunt. "We can't hide out here forever. I'd like to expose the hypocrisy of the prevailing treatment of us muties in America. Get the ball rolling for changing the public's mind. I'll keep us unknown."

Curtis extended his hand. "You said you thanked our benefactor on keeping the school funded and us safe. I thought you'd understand. What do you say?"

"I'm in Medulla, we're gonna blow this whole Mutant Oppression thing wide open." He slapped his palm into Curtis's and gripped it tightly. "We gotta do this intelligently though, or we're up a creek."

"I'm all for rocking the boat, but if we get caught..."

Thus, Curtis and Jaunt spent a great deal of time on Curtis'laptop studing YouTube. To Jaunt's disapointment, it was much more research and studying diagnostics then watching the Star Wars Kid.

But by the end, Curtis felt triumphant. "See," he explained, pointing at the log-in screen, "we can make the computer display a false IP address to the Youtube server files when logging in, and there's no way then for them to track which computer we've used. We are set."

"Now," he asked Jaunt "what method of portrayal should we use?"

Click to reveal..

(16:15:09) (Curtis): Analyze Weakness: first 2 dice mega

(16:15:14) ChatBot: (Curtis) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,7,8,2,2,8,3.

(16:15:47) (Curtis): 4 mega sux + 2 sux = 6 total sux

Originally Posted By: Curtis Shane
"Now," he asked Jaunt "what method of portrayal should we use?"

Jaunt leaned back and rubbed his chin, deep in contemplation. He raised a finger as the answer suddenly hit him like a ton of bricks. "Video. Dude, definitely video."

He looked about a bit and saw that the library was filled with several students, all of them he knew. "So, I heard the new foreign witchy chick is like, slammin' bro. You seen her? My gawd I could swap spit for hours with her."

Curtis had a feeling about who Jaunt was talking about, and he shook his head in amusement. "If you're talking about Oneca, I have one word of advice for you. Submit a dating request to Sonja, then run. They're sisters, woe to anyone trying the funny stuff. Besides, Oneca herself could destroy your testes."

Seeing Jaunt get the memo caused Curtis to laugh, albeit more quietly. "Now it's my turn to tell you to see your face."

Jor walked up just in time to here the bit about Sonja and Oneca. "You're right about that. Barbie is hot, but they both looked like they could handle themselves. That was a hell of a cat fight though even if it was short. Barbie's boob was all hanging out and bleeding. Kinda gross but hawt at the same time."

He grinned and nodded greeting to Curtis, "Hey Curtis. You said meet you here. What's up?"

Jaunt listened to Jor and quirked his eye brow up at Curtis. "Uh, dude, how many people you let in on this? I mean, seriously, it's a federal offense so I'd like to not have the entire school knowing what we're doing."

He looked to Jor and nodded once. "Jaunt. S'up."

"Jor. How's it goin?" Federal offense? What the fuck?

"Uh, so far I'm not 'in' on anything, Curtis just asked me to meet him in the library today. As far as being 'in', I wouldn't rat you out even if I don't get involved, but tell me what's up and I might be game."

Curtis grinned at Jaunt. "Only a few select people. And Jor is here because he has, according to his student files, superb dramatic and artistic skills."

Curtis glanced at Jor in a manner that suggested he get in closer. "As Jaunt has somewhat mentioned, this is a high-profile action. We create a movie pro-mutant in nature, and anonymously upload it to Youtube, before I hack the site to make it the sole accessibe video for the next few days. Feel free to opt out if you choose, but I think this venture could be more effective with you part of the team."

Jor considered for all of about two seconds. "I'm in. And yeah, I'm pretty good with art stuff, and I know about producing videos. The down side is I just got here so I don't have any supplies, no pc, nothing." This might be just the thing to start turning people's opinions around.

"Yeah, if I can use your laptop that'll work. Speaking of computers, either of you know how I can get my hands on one of my own? Or just make some money so I can buy stuff? I got here with nothing but the clothes on my back." For someone with only one change of clothes he seemed to do pretty well. Curtis hadn't seen him wearing the same thing twice yet and the clothes always looked pretty expensive.

Curtis hurt his lip, calculating his stock assets and considering whether or not to get the computer from the accumulated divideneds he had.

"For those who are not rich? Hard to say. I have some stocks though, and there's enough money saved off the earnings to get you a decent laptop or desktop. I have no issues, it'll be work related expenses."

"Dude, seriously? I can earn money with my Art, I just need the supplies to get started. I can pay you back if you want, I don't wanna be a charity case or anything, but I won't say no either." He grinned.

This was great, with a computer he could set up a website and sell his art online and his services as a graphic artist as well. Of course he wasn't very good with money, but as long as he had enough coming in to buy a few things when he wanted them that was ok.

"So from what I can tell this video shouldn't have anything in it that would lead back to us right?"

"I figure on news and other photos obtainable from the Internet, a soundtrack, and subtitles, perhaps some of your art. That will get the message over without risking our identities. I'll handle the hacking end of things. I figured you and Jaunt would know together how best to script the video. We'll put it all together as a group."

Over the next several days, the group moved forward, with intense focus and work. The status of the movie soon went from pre-production to post-production within a week and a half. Soon it was time to look at the finished product.

Click to reveal..

I would like a Wits+Arts roll from Jor, please.

Jor worked with the new unfamiliar computer to get things set up to his satisfaction while working with the others to make it a great video. The new environment and new equipment with the latest versions of all the software was a little distracting and he didn't feel that he'd done his absolute best work on it although it had turned out really nice thanks to all the time he'd been able to spend on it.

Click to reveal..

(17:35:38) (Jor): Spending a Will for an auto success.

(17:35:44) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 5,3,3,7,2,5,3.

+2 successes

(17:45:34) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 4,3,7,7,2,9,4.

+ 3 successes

(17:46:37) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 5,8,3,3,8,2,4.

+ 2 successes

(17:46:40) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 4,3,1,5,5,3,10.

+ 1 success

(17:46:41) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 9,8,7,1,5,3,9.

+ 4 successes

(17:46:41) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 2,6,1,8,2,6,7.

+2 successes

(17:46:42) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 1,4,7,8,4,7,1.

+3 successes

(17:46:49) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 7,4,1,5,3,8,9.

+3 successes

(17:46:50) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 10,1,10,2,1,4,2.

+2 successes

(17:46:51) ChatBot: (Jor) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,9,2,1,1,3,3.

+2 successes

24 total successes for the 10 day period.

The movie may not have been considered his best work by Jor. But honestly, it was a well-done, striking, very impressive work. Curtis was awestruck by the time it was over. "Well... fellas, I think we did a good job."

After the congratulations had been passed around, Curtis politely shooed them away so he could upload the movie.

Then, over the course of several tense minutes, he began the process of hacking the site to always link to the video they put up. The Truth of About Us and Mutants. Username: aHumanPerspective.

Using the false IP he cooked up seemed to disguise him well. He did some tightening up on the protection of his real computer identity. Then, he logged off, as it activated...

Click to reveal..

Computer roll:

Mega Int 2 + Int 5 + Computer 5 + 6 from the Analyze Weakness roll + 1 WP sux

(19:38:51) (Curtis): first two dice Mega-

(19:39:06) ChatBot: (Curtis) rolls 18d10 and gets 6,4,4,2,4,5,2,10,7,6,7,6,5,1,4,8,8,6.

5 + 1 = +6 sux.

(19:59:46) ChatBot: (Curtis) rolls 18d10 and gets 4,8,8,10,2,4,6,10,2,4,8,4,7,1,7,9,2,5.

2 mega sux + 7 sux = +9.

6+9 = 15.

Excerpts from The Truth of About Us and Mutants

Subtitle: and the policy of Today,

[Clip of a Presidential news conference, one recognized as about the Aberrant situation]

President: I assure you, we're taking all step necessary to protect the public from any chance of Aberrant...

[Cut to picture of WWII Japanese internment camps and Nazi death camps, with accompanying audio of American and German radio addresses]

Subtitle: is repeating the past's erroneous fears.

-----------

[News clip of an interview, with a man shouting into the camera]

Man: This is our country, not their's! I don't know why the old policy of 'shoot now' is gone!

Subtitle: This in a country that prides itself on openness.

-----------

[News report clip, Fox News]

Anchor: And in this morning's news, authorities have declined to charge a sex slavery ring after it was discovered that the victims were Aberrants, citing lack of legal power in this situation...

Subtitle: Does fear give people a right to ignore common sense and moral decency?

Click to reveal..
Dave ruled 4 successes overall for artistic excellence

Archived