z-The Morrigan

Sonja strutted into the cafeteria, surprised by how empty it was. No lines, at least. Usually, there was a smattering of students occupying it at all times of the day, but she only saw one guy, a red-headed boy she didn't know, shoveling food down his throat. Lots of new kids this semester, it seems. When he looked up, the gorgeous sophomore gave him a simple nod of greeting, then moved on to the serving line.

Originally Posted By: Curtis
"I think it's more that she never had a language to begin with. Raised by wolves, so to speak."

Sonja arched a pale eyebrow at the lambent eyed girl, then whispered back, "That really happens? That's... unfortunate."

Guiding Morri to the beginning of the serving line, Sonja handed her a plate and a napkin wrapped around utensils, then started commenting on the various items available.

"Turkey, good. Ham, very good. Roast beef, usually good. Salad, a necessary evil - stick to the chicken salad. Amazing garlic mashed potatoes. Pizza, hit or miss. Never, never, choose the meatloaf. Never! I think they make it from car tires and the souls of rabid dogs. Mixed vegetables, pretty good - they have corn on the cob in spring and summer, which is awesome." Sonja continued down the line, blithely commenting on every item, though even her most disparaging comments were said with a light-hearted teasing, that the cooks behind the serving counter didn't mind.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'm here. Talk to me," Morri said. Normally, someone would have been upset, but Morri seemed more confused than angry. It was also the longest sentence anyone had gotten out of her, aside from Eileen.

"No wolves. Just Vyse," she told them, then bared her teeth and gave a low growl.

She did perk up at the mention of turkey. Eileen had fed it to her before. She followed them into line, eying the food behind the glass. Anxiously, she waited for the server to pass it over.

Curtis looked over and caught sight of Jor sitting alone. He'd heard the new boy was an expert graphic artist from one of his tutored fellows. What was on Curtis' mind was recruiting him for the Youtube video he had in mind. So he excused himself and slipped over to Jor. "Hey, I presume you're Jor right?"

Jor blinked in surprise and swallowed the bite of turkey, "Uh, yeah. I'm Jor. What's up?" He'd only been at the school an hour and hadn't even gotten a room and someone already knew who he was? Damn word must get around here fast. He hoped it wasn't bad, he'd made his clothes look like something out of a fashion mag, but truth was he'd been living on the streets for nearly a month and it hadn't been easy.

Curtis smiled welcomingly. "Welcome to Lawrence Hunt Academy. Can I sit?" After getting a nervous but agreeable nod, he plopped down in the seat across from Jor.

"It may come as a surprise to you, but I know you've been here for almost an hour, and so it would be rude not to make you feel welcome. And," with a calm appraising glance at Jor's wear "don't worry about the dress code."

The next words were more bitter. "Too many kids came from off the streets to here. And they call us the monsters."

Jor had to agree with that, the supposedly 'normal' people who treated mutants like dogs were the monsters. Sure they were afraid, but fear only went so far as an excuse and beyond that they were just being evil. "Yeah."

He looked the other kid over and said, "So, thanks for the welcome. The place seems nice."

"Oh! I'm really sorry, Morri, I didn't know if this was a touchy subject for you. No worries, I won't talk as if you're not there, well unless, you're not there." Seeing the gritted teeth and hearing the growl, Sonja ammended, "I guess it is..." Raised by a vise?

Sonja looked at Jeremy going to talk to the new kid with a question on her face, but seeing Morri perk up at the sight of turkey, Sonja smiled and offered several other suggestions. Morri was readily agreeable to experimenting, so much so, that Sonja got another plate for the weird, red-eyed girl.

Near the end of the line, they came to the desserts. "What would you like for dessert?"

"Dessert?"

"Okay, here, we'll start you off with the basics." Sonja placed a brownie, a slice of cheese cake, and the ubiquitous serving of Jello on her plate. Buy that point, Morri's plates, and well as her own were quite full, so she went up to the cash to pay.

"Hi, Jillian, I'm covering Morri's meal today, and..." Looking over a shoulder and not seeing Curtis behind her, "... well, nevermind." Sonja handed over a plain, shiny black card, then looked back at Curtis sitting with the new kid. Instead, she led Morri to her usual table near the middle of the cafeteria.

"Here we go. Hope you like it."

Jor perked up, "Yeah, I'm not bad." Then his expression fell, "I had to leave it all at home though when I left. I suppose I'll need to find some art supplies sometime soon so I can earn some money." While he was on the run he had avoided art even though he could made money with it since it would have made it easier to find him if the police were looking.

"Hey, you know quite a bit about me for my only being here an hour."

Morri followed the other girl to the table, wondering where the sand was. Sonja had mentioned the desert, but like most of Morri's attempts at communication, the connection between words and intent was missed.

But that wasn't important. What was important was the food. Morri glanced around to be sure no one was sidling over to steal her food, then started cramming it into her mouth in handfuls. Sonja watched, wide-eyed, not sure if the girl could even taste what she was eating. When Sonja stared too long, Morri stopped and growled a warning at her before returning to stuffing her food down.

Jamie fell into line behind Sonja, raising her eyebrows slightly when the girl turned around and met her gaze, apparently expecting someone else. She and Sonja were in the same grade, she thought, but they didn't really know each other that well. So that left Curtis.

She stocked up on turkey and a few obligatory vegetables and made her way to Curtis' table. "Mind if I sit here?" she asked her roommate, smiling slightly. Her voice was rather odd - mostly melodious, and deep for a girl, but on the pronunciation of here she slipped into a rough croak. Curtis would know that this was normal for her.

Everyone in the Cafeteria suddenly felt the temperature rise significantly, and soon the cause made himself known as Daniel walked into the cafeteria.

"Wow, lots of new faces this term." He looked around, Easily placing Sonja and Curtis, but the rest were mysteries.

He smiled lightly and nodded to the others. He didn't move too close to them, as the heat dramatically increased with close proximity.

"I'm Daniel Allard, It's a pleasure to meet you all." He wasn't one of the tallest mutants, and he fit in well with other humans, until they saw his eyes. The Irises were bright red.

Curtis had been anxious to finish explaining his project to Jor, but it seemed not to happen. Nonetheless, he told Jor. "I was going to get to that, but come into the library on the 26th and I'll explain more later."

He quickly twisted round and nodded to his roomate. "Sit, and be happy., Jamie"

As he felt the heat of Daniel and the heated mutant introduced himself, Curtis nodded. "Anyway, I'm Curtis," he told Jor "and the school braniac, cyberkinetic, etc."

Jamie sat down next to Curtis and smiled at Jor. "Hi, I'm Jamie Wren. Are you new?" She shrugged out of her peacoat in the heat of Daniel wearing underneath it a white turtleneck and a blue sweater vest obviously made for a man. It fit her pretty well, considering her rather unimpressive assets.

That explained how he knew about Jor when no one should have been able to yet. He smiled and shook the other kid's hand. "I'll be there."

When the other boy had left he turned to the girl who had just sat down, "Hi, I'm Jor." He pointed in the direction of the departing cyberkinetic, "By the way, who was that?"

"That was my roommate," she replied, voice continuing to do that weird random croaking thing. "Curtis Shane. He's supposed to be some kind of computer genius, I guess." She stabbed a piece of turkey carnivorously. "Did he rope you into something already?"

Jor chuckled, "Yeah, I think so." Then her words registered. Jamie was a girls name and she was pretty cute, but there was the croaking voice and he couldn't really see her body in those clothes... Trying to not be too obvious he looked at her throat. No adam's apple.

"Uh, does the school have co-ed rooms?"

Sonja kept trying to put metal things in her hands, like Eileen used to do. But her hands were faster, and she always licked them clean after, so there was no mess or anything bad left when she was done. Still Sonja persisted, even personally showing her how the silverware worked.

Morri was choking down her food when she became aware of someone approaching. With a growl, she spun, facing Curtis. Blood burst from her hands, running down her skin until she had a red knife in her hands. Still half-hunched over her food, she snarled loudly enough to catch everyone's attention.

Sonja choked on a piece of ham at Morri's reaction to Curtis, then stood up quickly. Her chair skittered away behind her, and she placed herself between Curtis and the armed (?) Morri, hands outstretched.

"Whoa! Enough, Morri," Sonja said gently, turning to face the snarling girl. "I swear, no one is going to try to steal your food. You can relax here."

Wow, this school just might be fun. "No idea yet, I haven't even been shown to my room."

He was going to say more but then the chick at the table across the way freaked and pulled bloody knives on Curtis somehow. Gruesome, but effective. No one's going to take her lunch money...

Curtis gaped in shock at Morri's sudden reaction, but stayed calm and still as Sonja interceded. Frankly, he did want to help Morri, but this was trying this patience quite a bit.

He stared back into Morri's face calmly and without worry. "Morri. I'm not going to take your food. Put the knife DOWN."

Jamie blinked as Jor stared over her shoulder, and she followed his gaze and gasped. A feral-looking girl with a knife made of blood - you don't see that every day, though at this kind of school you should expect it, or something similar. Jamie hoped Curtis and Sonja could handle it, because she had no great desire to dive in front of the spear, so to speak.

Morri was confused. Why were they acting like this? She was just defending her food. It wasn't personal; it was survival. But even Sonja, who had been so nice, acted as if Morri were in the wrong. Angry and upset, she grabbed her plate with a free hand and backed away. She kept her knife out, just in case they tried to follow her.

She edged toward the door, trying to make her escape.

Vyse laughed as he jabbed the cattle prod between the bars. "Fight!" he shouted to the girl cowering from him. Her scream drowned out the noise that the prod made against her skin. "I won't stop until you fight me!"

The plate clattered to the floor as another blood-red knife sprouted from her other hand. There was no other warning as Morri lunged for him, her eyes full of rage.

This was exactly what she had learned from Vyse.

This was getting bad - Morri was more messed up than sehe ahd thought. More like an animal than a person. Slowly, Sonja backed away from the table, gently conveying that Morri should stay.

"Please, Morri, don't go - it was just a misunderstanding on both our parts. You were raised one way, and we another - we can work this out." Those bloody knives - or rather knives of blood - were damn creepy, and Sonja swallowed. "How about we move to a table in the corner of the room, Morri, that way, you'll see anyone who comes close, 'kay?"

Then Curtis mentioned Vyse and Sonja saw Morri's crimson eyes flare. The plate dropped from her hand and another blood knife appeared as she leapt for Curtis. Shit!

So intent was Morri on Curtis, that she barely reacted as Sonja got in the way, strong hands reaching out for the crazed girl's wrists.

"Morri, stop! You don't have to do this, not here, not anymore."

The silver-blond girl's intercession wasn't enough to phase Morri, not when she was so far gone. Even Eileen would have needed her mental powers to stop her at this moment.

Morri slashed at the woman grabbing for her, missing in the haste of shifting targets. Sonja realized that the girl was not only serious about it, she was deadly serious about it. Then the other knife came around, tearing through Sonja's shirt.

She was fast.

It all happened so fast but instinct caused Jor to trigger his own power. In the space of a heartbeat he went from a regular red headed green-eyed guy to a living statue of solid black metal from hair to toes. He was on his feet in an instant and moving around the table in case Jamie needed protecting. He wasn't about to jump in the middle of a fight unless he had to, but he could keep it from spilling to innocent bystanders. He hoped.

The organic blade sliced through her cable-knit sweater and the Spandexium outfit under it like like butter. Blood welled from the slash that went up her ribs and across the side of a breast.

Sonja screamed. The wound was beginning to close, but slowly. As Morri went to slash again, Sonja moved in, wrapping arms like steel pistons around her, hugging her close.

"Clear the door!" Sonja yelled, pain in her voice. Her face close to Morri's, she whispered to the other girl, her voice rough with agony. "I have to get you out of here - too many people for you I think."

Without waiting to see if anyone complied, Sonja took off like a bolt of lightning, the doors flying from the frame as Sonja ran through them. She raced for the first open spot she could think of, the frozen lake, blurring past her sister and Ren standing by the shore.

"Cool down, Morri, only us here," Sonja pleaded, voice soft with pain and the cold now seeping into her without her jacket.

Jamie was willing enough to take shelter behind Jor, not being much more hardy than the average human. She fingered the space in front of her nervously, wondering if - but no. That would surely just escalate matters, if she were to send a singularity at the red-eyed girl -

And then Sanja...carried her off? Okay. Jamie didn't know she could do that. She relaxed a little behind Jor. "Um...should we get somebody?" she asked hesitantly.

"I just got here... I wouldn't know who to get. Let's get out there an make sure no one gets seriously hurt if we can." Or that they aren't ripping each others clothes off... Damn, it has to be inappropriate to think something like that at a time like this, seriously. Not that any guys anywhere wouldn't think something similar seeing a cat fight start.

He thought about grabbing Jamie's hand and pulling her along with him but wasn't sure if he'd hurt her. He wasn't used to the strength that came with the change yet so he just shrugged and headed toward the door looking back over his shoulder to see if she was following.

"Sure, yeah...there's a room upstairs, in the East wing. It's in pretty good shape."

Still holding Oneca's hand, Ren led the way up the staircase through the abandoned halls where murals decorated the halls showing the exploits of soldiers long dead and forgotten clashing on battlefields in plate and mail. They passed elegant and curving candelabra and finally came to the room Ren had spoken of...a huge bedchamber.

Here the castle was preserved in its ancient glory. The tapestries still thick and and colorful, marked with gold thread, kept the room warmer than the rest of the stone passageways. The room opened out onto a half-moon shaped balcony, ringed by a low wall reaching to waist height. From the balcony the castle below stretched out distantly, and beyond the castle the mist shrouded lake stretched further still. Very faintly the tops of the trees surrounding the campus could be glimpsed.

The bed was of cherrywood, four poster with stands fashioned into the grinning faces of gargoyles. A canopy laid over the bed, held by those gargoyles, spilling from their mouths in heavy silks.

And there, in the middle of the bed, atop the quilted coverlet, lay a single black rose.

Ren gave the rose a curious look, rubbed his chin thoughtfully and turned and amused glance on Oneca.

"That must be for you."

It took time and a couple more shallow cuts, but the smaller girl in her arms slowly calmed down. The cold helped, but the restraint helped more. Once Morri realized she couldn't go anywhere or do anything, calm came back to her.

For a moment, she sat still. That was when she heard people approaching. She tensed again, and Sonja's arms tightened around her again. Her red eyes were fixed on Jor and Jamie when they stepped out into the open.

She remained silent. There was nothing to be said. Eileen would be upset. She had failed to so shell lie right.

"Probably. But it would suck to get in trouble on her first day.." His tone said he spoke from experience. "Probably headed to the lake or the quad. If one of you wants to head to the quad I'll head for the lake."

He set his meal down and took off out the doorway, taking the heat with him. When outside he launched into the air out towards the lake, a stream of fire blazing behind him.

Jamie nodded, grabbing her peacoat and following him out. She crooked her left hand, feeling the space around it bend in anticipation. But when she stepped out, her enhanced vision told her that Sonja had everything under control, and she let her grip on space relax. She looked at Jor out of the corner of her eye and said, "I think it's alright now."

Then she turned and approached Sonja, gazing at her bloodied and torn clothes, and the wounds knitting themselves up. "Are you gonna be okay?"

Jor stood by still ready to defend himself or others, but waiting for the two girls to answer. Speaking quietly for Jamie to hear, "Well, one things for sure, this school won't be boring. Not here an hour and I've already seen a knife fight."

Sonja's breathing was rapid and shallow, but was beginning to fall back into a normal rhythm. Those blades of Morri's were wicked sharp and even barely being about to move, the slightest graze drew a line of red.

With Morri staring to calm down, Sonja eased her restraining embrace into a more comforting hug. "You okay, now, Morri? Sorry this happened. How about next time, we'll take a corner table, that way, you'll see everyone coming close, 'kay?"

Seeing Jamie and Jor approaching, she tried to shift, holding her shredded sweater and outfit closed, trying to hide against the cold and exposure. She gave Jamie a nod and a grin of forced confidence.

"Oh, I'll be fine, just a little cold." Though she tried to sound nonchalant, there was a slight quaver to her voice as the chill of the wind and ice penetrated her ruined garments. There was a slight brightness to her eyes, refusing to let a single tear fall in front of the others.

Archived