Trinity RPG: Back to the Stars - Prelude: Mind Games [Lien Mei]

Krul

The Ministry of Psionic Affairs, centered in China, and lead by the telepathic proxy, Rebecca Bue Li, the Ministry is the only one of the orders to be part of a government, rather then a separate entity of it's own. In the 22nd century, China is the dominant world superpower, and has a great deal of influence, though the world and in space. Though the Proxy has certain goals of her own that don't quite mesh with China's agenda, so far the Ministry and China have moved into the future, together.

The Ministry is often regarded by the rest of the world with a certain measure of suspicion, however, and the telepaths as sometimes amoral and secretive. With regards to amoral, nothing could be further from the truth, the proxy has extremely strong morals and insists on training and encouraging, and policing other telepaths to certain morals.

Sometimes, however, those methods fail, and things slip though the cracks, when they do, all manner of things can happen, and for one Xiyue Lien Mei some unusual ones indeed have occurred. Two weeks after the initial shock and discovery, her training complete, her superiors summon her for a talk.

Walking down the hall to the office of the Professor of Semiotics, Fa Zhu, head of the Semiotics division of the Ministry, the elderly gentleman is one of Proxy Bue Li's most trusted friends. A capable telpath, it is he who is sitting behind the deck when she enters the room, and there is no one else present, though she can sense a second mind looking in. "Please, Lien Mei, have a seat."

The young woman sat in one of the two overstuffed chairs facing the large teak desk, trying not to wince as her hands brushed over the textured upholstery of the chair. The changes she'd been through since the dunking were daunting and complicated at best, but she found that day-to-day it was her hypersensitivity to everything that gave her the most issues. She'd had to buy nearly an entire new wardrobe, as anything that was mostly soft and smooth would drive her insane in only a few minutes. And anything not natural in less than that. The silk blouse and pants she was wearing now were very nice, but expensive, and she wasn't able to buy as much of a clothing selection as she was used to. Being cut off from her family allowance hadn't helped either, but there was much more lost in that than petty cash. Still, she was managing. She'd even been able to put in earrings today, and kept her bracelet on for over an hour before having to take it off.

She smiled nervously at the Professor as she settled into the seat. All the attention in the past few weeks, along with everything else, had her jumping at shadows; still, she managed the smile and to sit demurely without fidgeting. She inclined her head respectfully, "Professor Fa."

She waited for him to tell her why she'd been summoned.

He considered the young woman a moment, and gave her a smile, putting her file out on the desk for both of them to see. "You've been assigned to the department of Semiotics, which puts you under my supervision." He paused a moment, even as he reached out to her telepathically. "Under normal circumstances, one of my underlings would be seeing to your assignment."

*Of course, both of us know, Lien, that your situation is far from normal circumstances. Your, let us say, unique situation has gotten a lot of attention, from plenty of different areas* The other mind in the room indicates silent agreement, but otherwise says nothing.

"However, I'm seeing to the matter personally, however, though we consider you a sister in the order, the trouble around what has occurred, leaves us with a problem. One we've finally managed to finesse around, though we're a bit uneasy about the possible dangers, we've an assignment for you."

She swallowed, her fingers twining together in her only outward show of hesitation and fear. "Danger?"

She shook some of her reticence off and nodded, squaring her shoulders as she accepted the next turn in her life. "I mean, of course. I...thank you, for looking into this personally. What...how will I be serving the Ministry?"

She was still a little disoriented by the awareness she had now, and the silent telepathic watcher made her feel even more....watched. She tried to keep her thoughts on the situation at hand.

"Minister Bue Li and I would prefer not to expose you to danger, in your situation, which the Proxy feels may actually be beneficial in the long run, which is why we've done out best to minimize your personal exposure in this matter." He turned her file around, so that she was looking at it.

"You've been assigned as the official Ambassador on the Leviathan ship, The Xiao Dao, to reconnect with humanities lost colonies." The name of the ship sort of meant heaven guide in mandarin.

"It will be your duty to interact with and connect with our lost human colony's, and with the aliens we have come into contact with out there. As well as to assist in discovering what we can of the lost order, Upeo Wa Macho"

The girl paled and she addressed both of the minds in the room, "Are...are you sure? I...I'm honored, but...isn't that something someone with more....experience, training....standing should do?"

They could feel her panic as she stammered out a nearly whispered, "What...what if don't know what to do?"

Before the dunking, she'd not been arrogant, but she'd had the confidence of youth behind her ambitions. The spark was still there, but buried under thickening layers of pain, rejection, and the cautiousness that comes with a person's first brush with major consequences of their decisions in life. Lien was terrified of failing the Ministry after having already failed her family and herself.

Even a man more stern then Fa Zhu would have been somewhat touched by her distress, and knowing her situation only made it more heartfelt, as he reached across to touch the girls hand. He was about to speak, when the other mind in the room reached out to her, in a soothing and compassionate manner.

At least, the mind was emphatically broadcasting compassion, and somehow the equivalent of a telepathic embrace. Of course, in close contact, it was impossible for the girl not to recognize the mind that was touching hers. *I believe in you, Lien Mei, you fear to fail us, while your humility and concern do you credit, but this is an opportunity to grow, to learn and develop, and I know you can do it.*

Lien's eyes went wide as the presence addressed her and tried to swallow the fear that had been running rampant in her. After all, you didn't gainsay someone like that. She nodded and gathered the scraps of her courage and self esteem, attempting to knit them back into something resembling herself.

"I....of course. Th-thank you. I would be honored to serve the Ministry on the Xioa Dao. I...when do I leave? When is the ship leaving?" She hesitated again, then asked quietly, "How long will I be gone?"

The mental contact withdrew, even as the professor spoke up, to pull out a file and opened it. "Those assigned to the Xioa Dao are all assigned to the ship for a period of five years. The ship will be returning to earth space, every three to four months, more often in emergencies." He paused.

"If your concerned about your situation, don't be, allowances will be made." Rather then speaking directly, the presence had withdrawn, but she could still feel her there. "You have two weeks to prepare, and the ship is not leaving for another two weeks, after you board, if there is anything you need, you have clearance to requisition anything that can help you in your duties."

"Thank you, Professor Fu. I will begin making my preparations immediately, then. I...Thank you."

She stood again but gave him a moment to tell her that he wasn't finished or to officially dismiss her. There was a gnawing homesickness that was already growing in her, but she knew she'd get it over it. She was survivor. She had five years now to figure things out. Maybe when she came home again.....maybe things would be different then. She could hope.

"Your free to go, if you need anything, or have any questions, let us know, it will be provided. You have leave to prepare in any way you need too, including visiting your family." He reached out her at the last, and touched her hand softly.

*Though I know your family may not want you around, the offer remains, though I know some of your family still cares for you, even in the present situation.* There was a hint of sadness in his mental touch, mostly for her, and a bit grandfatherly feeling.

The elderly gentleman then withdrew mentally to allow her to leave.

She bowed deeply and made her exit, not trusting herself to either speak or return the mental touch. That wound was far too fresh and while he meant well, it also reminded her that even those of her family that still loved her had chosen those who didn't over her. Outside of the office, she leaned against the wall long enough to regain her composure. It wouldn't do to give the people that were always watching her now yet another reason to think she was unstable or unsuitable for the Ministry.

A five year exile would help with that, too.

She understood the reasoning, and could even agree with it to a certain point, but there was a part of her that was still a frightened child and wanted nothing more than to run back to her apartment and bury herself under the covers until the world started cooperating with her again. Instead, she headed for the library and began researching what she'd need to know about the Xiao Dao, her crew so far, and the colonies that she was supposed to help reconnect to Mother Earth again.

And the aliens. She'd almost forgotten about that part and her heart started to beat a little faster, this time with anticipation. Of everything happening, the chance to meet and interact with honest-to-God aliens was a silver lining for her. Smiling a little more genuinely, she set to her task.

Her computer was already set to the task, cleared to drawn any information she needed about aliens, or the colonies. The Qin were friendly to humanity, and even had a embassy on Luna, actually there was a suggestion that she contact them at some time in the next week or so, and if she checked, she would find an invitation for the Ambassador of the Xiao Dao to visit.

The Chromatics however, were unfriendly, and if she had to make contact with them, it was suggested that she insure she was well protected.

She made arrangements to meet with the Lunar Qin representative, already feeling both apprehensive and exhilarated about the access her new position provided her. She left messages with those of her family that were still speaking with her, telling them of her promotion and that she'd be away from Earth for several years. She debated sending a message to her mother, but a small vindictive part of her won the argument on the grounds that since her mother didn't want to speak with her or even let her in the house anymore, she didn't deserve to find out first hand. Cheng or An could tell her, if they wanted to.

As for requisition what she would need on the ship, she sent several messages to people in the Ministry. One to a former classmate that used to travel to and from Luna a lot that might know what to take on ship, another to the department of Embassies asking what she would need as an ambassador, and the third to the head of the medical team that had been assigned to her. Once she had their recommendations back, she would put in the requests, pack her belongings, and see if the few friends she'd made in the Ministry so far still wanted to associate with her enough for a farewell party. It was going to be a long two weeks.

Of course, the Qin had replied with a statement that her time and location was fine, and they would look forward to further relations. Her friends, the one she had made sense joining the order, were indeed available for a going away party. In fact, Shu Lin and Mai Li both thought it was a wonderful idea, and were a bit envious of her new promotion. "You going to see wonderful things, and go places few people ever have Lien."

"Here to new horizons. May they be a little less interesting than the current ones." She grinned a little self depreciatingly at her return toast, but her eyes were merry enough for the others to know she was excited and not so bitter now.

It was a pleasant party, held at one of the nicer restaurants in town in a private room in back. Shu Lin, Mai Li, Karen, and a half dozen other acquaintances had tactfully suggested somewhere both wholesome and known for having a rather wide selection on the menu. And subdued colors, traditional cushion floor seating, and low lighting. Mai Li had seen first hand what sensory overload could do to Lien; she'd been one of the first people other than the medical team allowed in to see her after her dunking.

The others clinked their glasses with her and the buzz of the party continued. She was the DA* tonight and planned on pouring the others into bed once the eating and drinking was done for evening, but for now she could sit back, relax, and for few hours forget how complicated life could be.

*DA: Designated Adult, meaning no getting drunk, disorderly, or arrested and knowing where everyone left their keys, clothes, and dignity from the night before.

At some point during the party, Lien and Mai Li were contacted telepathically, to let both of know that Mai Li's request had been granted, and she would be placed under Ambassador Lien on board the Xioa Dao, as one of her assistants. Having a second telepath aboard was simply a good idea, and sense the two of them had already proven their ability to work together, they would prove ideal.

From that point on the party got a little wilder, but not too much, sill Lien was going to have a bit of work to do to keep things under control.

After pouring most of her friends into bed and heading home herself, Lien was exhausted. Happier about leaving now that she'd have someone with her, but still exhausted. It was almost time now, with only really packing to finish and the meeting with the Qin ambassador before the ship.

And then apparently a two week orientation on the ship before disembarking. Guh. Now that the course was set, Lien was ready to be going. Too wound up to go to bed just yet, she flipped through the list of current crew members and sent them all a introduction note from her. It was a cross between a hello and business card, letting her as-yet unmet crew mates for the next five years know that she was looking forward to mission and was more than a picture in a personnel file.

If they couldn't lift-off immediately, at least she could get started on the networking and friend-making. Like Mai had said, this was a new beginning. You couldn't forget the past, not entirely, but the future was always up to you.

The list of the crew wasn't quite complete, apparently there was still some assignment shifting going on. Nevertheless, at least her friend Mai Li, who was also a telepath, triggered only two days after her, and they had done some training together, was going with her. Of course, Mai didn't have Lien's shear talent with telepathy, but she was good with people and bureaucracy. Checking the list, she would find Mai down as the assistant Ambassador, subordinate to Lien. A careful check, however would indicate two additional assistants from the Chinese government, neither of whom were telepathic.

She took some time the next day to learn about the two other assistants she would have, and to send them offers to set up a meeting between the four of them before departure. She also got back the list of items recommended by her friend, the embassy, and her doctors. They were dutifully passed along to the appropriate authority to get the items to the ship and accounted for among the inventory.

She continued her studies of the Chromatics, the little that was known of them, the colonies, and the Qin, just waiting for time to pass now.

It was around the third day or so, that the Qin approached her, at the time she had requested. All Qin interacted with humanity from their biosuits, and their biotechnology was much more advanced then humanities, though they tended to have a different technological focus.

Flanked by a guard, the Qin who had come down from Luna to visit with her bowed. "Greetings, Ambassador, I offer my name as Tai San." If that was it's name, or simply the name this particular Qin diplomat was offering for her use was uncertain. Of course, the biosuit it was wearing was one of the ones the diplomats used, which was how she was able to identify it.

She bowed respectfully. "I am called- Lien Mai." The brief hesitation wasn't due to the Qin, but ever since her last disastrous trip home, she'd felt uncomfortable using the name of a family that had disowned in every way except legally. So now she was Lien Mai of the Ministry. It would have to be enough. "It is an honor to meet you, Tai San."

They danced through the formalities and pleasantries of meeting, the Qin with a grace that could only be called inhuman and Lien with a mousy but deep determination to make a good impression. Short as her instructions had been so far, Lien had a natural aptitude for making friends and in general being the type of person that was easy to like. She moved smoothly from the formal introductions into light conversation, asking Tai San about it's impression of Luna and humanity in general and gently segueing into questions on the Qin colonies and outposts the Xiao Dao might encounter on it's tour.

"The honor is mine, Ambassador Lien Mai." And they continued though a number of pleasantries before the Qin Ambassador got to the point. "Humanity is a strange species, with many Great Houses, like the Qin, but much open disagreement between them." What he meant by great houses wasn't certain, but her studies indicated that the Qin organised themselves in Great Houses, that were some mix of family, clan and guild.

"We are concerned[worried], however, with the Xiao Dao, many Qin on Luna miss Qinshu, and wish[desire/need] to return home. Does the Ambassador know where the vessel is going first?" Actually, she had seen that the first jump was to the Khntze Lu Ge, which was in Alpha Centari, and the next jump was from there to Qinshui.

"Our first destination is Khntze Lu Ge, but after that we will be heading to Qinshui. I could look into arranging passage for those Qin on Luna to return home, if you would like. I cannot guarantee anything at this point, nor that after returning them to Qinshui that there would be a way for them come back to Luna, but I would be more than willing to try." She smiled at Tai San, sincere in her desire to help and also trying not to promise more than she could deliver.

"I[we] believe[think] that humanity will send more ships, this one is only first [primary]. Also, we are willing[desire to] assign several engineers[technicians] to the vessel, as crew, in exchange for this consideration[favor]." Tai San then continued. "We can[will] even assign one of our own to the Ambassador, should[if] she desire[swant] it."

Lien nodded in acknowledgement of the offer, "I will need to speak with my superiors about it, but I think they would be more than open to the idea. I will submit your proposal this evening, if you would like?"

She was trying to read the Qin, an effort in futility given that they looked nothing like the bio-suits they wore. Habits, and all. She was excited at the prospect of the Qin joining them on the Xiao Dao, even if only as a far as Qinshui, and if Tai San was any judge of human expressions, he would pick that up easily.

Tai San bowed deeply, and at her best guess, he appeared pleased. Of course, trying to read one of them was impossible from body language, but she had another method, if she chose to use it, she could simply read his emotions emphatically. "The Ambassador honors us, this has been a pleasant[useful] meeting between our Houses, that would please[delight] us."

Lien smiled, and realized that she would have to get used to using her gifts if she was going to be acting as an Ambassador for China and the Ministry. She let her senses extend out, not trying anything more than to get a feel for her guest. "Would you be coming along yourself, Ambassador Tai San?"

Though the emotions of the alien were a bit difficult to relate to, verses human emotions, she could feel that the Ambassador was pleased with her answers. "It is possible[likely] that I will be going[traveling] with the Xiao Dao, yes."

She smiled a little wider, inclining her head towards the ambassador. "It will be nice then, should the arrangements be possible, to see you on the Xiao Dao. Perhaps I might impinge upon a bit more of your time to ask you about Qinshui at that time?"

The question was asked with slightly colored cheeks for its directness, her shyness of the past few months making it's presence known again.

"That would[might] be pleasent[good], for both of us." The Qin responded, noting her shyness. Actually, the Qin often related best to the Ministry, as all of them were empathic, though often not as increadible capable as humans. "We would be honored[pleased] to explore further[future] interaction[contact]." In due time, the meeting was complete, and the Qin Ambassador left, leaving Lien Mei to continue her duties as she saw fit.

Soon enough, she was going to the moon, and prepared to move onto the jumpship, from a docking bay on Luna

Continued in Clear Minds

Archived