Trinity RPG: Back to the Stars - Psi Rules & Variations

Krul

The following is a list of rule variations we'll be using, some of them are from the Player's Guide, and some of them are my own, and some of them are part of plot I have in mind.

They all deal with Psi, and the sub-quantum, most of them apply only to a Psion who was a strong latent before triggering, and this fact, isn't common knowledge even to most Psions, though the Proxies, and certain other beings know. Some of them have been noted, or seen, but not understood. This means many times, the PC's will have more potential then the average psion, but on rare occasions, you may meet others as strong. [For the purpose of this game, strong latent is a trait found in about 1 in a 100 latent psions]

Alternate Powers - Yes, all alternate powers in all of the books, including the E-books are available, though you have to learn the basic techniques first. However, because I believe it should be easier, especially for folks who were strong latent psions, once you've mastered the basics, I'm reducing the experience cost. Learning an alternate power at any level, is level x 4.

Alternate Modes - Normal rules, but I have something special planned in the future regarding these.. *winks* this is just a placeholding teaser.

Power System - No, however, I mention this, because I'm applying a special rule here. If you see, or can come up with a power based on the power system, that isn't available under the normal rules, and makes sense for the modes you have, that you'd like, including combined powers, I will allow it to be purchased under the Alternate Power rule above, after you clear it with me. [This allows your PC's to show some evidence of their strong latency even after they've been triggered, and to develop some techniques that are more or less unique to them.]

Psi Pool - Yes, we'll going to use this rule, with a bit of variation. A strong latent who's been triggered can increase this pool even further with experience, to a maximum of triple their Psi score(so a strong latent who is triggered, with a PSI of 6, starts with 12, and can raise it as high as 18 with experience). You will start only double your Psi score in your pool (and if your wondering, no you can't buy more with freebies, only experience). Increasing PSI directly by 1 point adds 2 points to your pool, at no extra cost. Increasing your Psi Pool by + 1 costs 5 xp.

Tolerance - I'm going midway here, just carrying unformatted bioware doesn't add to tolerance, it has tolerance 0 at that point, you have to use it to suffer tolerance issues. However, once you start using it, it has tolerance 1, until you put it down or away. It takes about 10 minutes, before the noetic connection fully fades, so you can't just trade from one item to another, you have to consider carefully. You can however, increase your tolerance level, independent of your Psi score, up to twice your Psi score. Increasing Tolerance costs 3 XP per + 1. (Even normal Psions can do this, so this ability is common knowledge).

Click to reveal..
Less well know, is that a psion who was triggered to the biokinetic aptitude gets to add 1/3 of their total dots in modes to tolerance (rounded up), as their bodies, adapt, shift and change to suit any additions to their noetic template. This is even without Assimilation, which allows them even more adaptations to bioware. This is known to only a few outside the order, but those in the know aren't talking, so few are aware of it outside of Norca.

Strong Latent Psions - In all of the above cases were a teacher is required, a strong latent can sometimes draw the capability straight from the sub-quantum medium. In other words, intuitively develop a capability, it's unique to Psions who were already strong latents (meaning most Psions you meet can't do this). This requires a difficult Psi role (3 success), you may spend willpower on this roll, and if mode natural applies, it adds to the psi roll (nothing else does, however).

Archived