Aberrant: Mutant High - Ultimate Aberrant: OOC Thread

Dave ST

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Okay, this is a post that is meant to spark reinterest in getting this game going again. I need a role call for interest and I need an opinion on whether or not to take this from where it left off (re-starting the first plot set) or rebooting entirely.

Go.

Well, new players are like new students, they come in the middle of a semester, a vacation, etc, all the time. It was honestly why I chose to steal the 'school for the gifted' from the X-Men sice it permits the easiest option for characters to come and go as they please.

I could certainly fit in another Aberrant-y, X-men-y style of game. I actually used to be in an X-Men RPG, and later used that character as an NPC in my TT; he'd be pretty easily adapted to this with some backstory changes. Depending on whether the government is up to any evil weapon X style projects of course. The X-Men version was captured and enrolled in a sister to the Sentinel Program designed to use mutants to hunt mutants.

Well I'm in. Gadgeteer, but as with the OOC treaty with Jer-Jer, I won't take Cyberkinesis unless he says it's cool.

The name will be familiar to everyone once I post the profile up. Needless to say I'm going to be reactivating a VERY old account for this.

Depending on whether the government is up to any evil weapon X style projects of course. The X-Men version was captured and enrolled in a sister to the Sentinel Program designed to use mutants to hunt mutants.

The "Sentinel Program" is essentially called the "Dreadnought Initiative". There are giant robots and they will be coming to kill you all. Like Sentinels, the more you win, the better the robots will become, 'Marks' in this case. The issue with a 'Weapon X' style character is that we already have one character who has escaped from a mutant testing facility and wants to go back and burn em all to the ground. I'm straying away from the 'Weapon X' angle because the PCs are high school kids and not really the sort of mutants who would qualify as 'Weapon X' material. They make better lab rats than they do weapons... well, until you give them near unlimited funding, and an airplane under the basketball court...

If you'd like to have the character have escaped from one of those testing facilities (just not the same one as Warren), that's viable, but no PC will be part of a 'Weapon X' program. Like Warren, you may have been on the chopping block for one, but the brainwashing and training never started. You were cut up, tested, beaten, abused, treated like garbage, and no matter how cool your powers were, you were less than human and nothing but a tool to be tested and used by the operators of the facility. You had no friends but your mutant friends, none of the humans respected or pitied you, it sucked there and there wasn't a bright side to it at all. Roughly what I'm saying is that the background for the PC shouldn't involve the character being 'top of his class', 'valued for his skills or powers', or in any way be an asset to the facility. He was a lab rat with no privileges and no rights.

And people wonder why Warren is bitter and jaded...

I'll be PMing Chosen soon to get the details on how much activity we'll need to fire this puppy back up.

That's basically his exact original background. He was top of his class admittedly, but he was still fitted with an explosive collar, frequently threatened with the detonation of said collar, and so on. I don't treat my PCs that nicely, Rev, don't worry. I understand any world you run hates my character and anything about him :) We can work out the exact details another time.

Two things: the version I've run has a 'unique' (ish) power called Killer Instinct. In my TT I made it a Lvl 2 power which gave him a simple +1/+1 to accuracy and damage, and it represents him instinctively finding the weak spots in people. So essentially a beefed up claws.

This is compounded by a permanent power aberration which forces him to use it on even slight touches, so he'd end up shattering people's shoulders with handshakes, accidentally stopping their heart with casual pokes and the like. I also included a clause saying he had to use his single dot of mega strength in all such involuntary 'attacks'.

It's a bit like Rogue's problem, only more breaky and less soul sucky.

Sound like something you'd allow?

He has nothing resembling 'cool powers' beyond Killer Instinct and Premonition (the 'that door may kill you' power as opposed to the rather more awesome pretercognition)

Count me in Dave. I'm trying to get back involved, but for now I much prefer getting involved in old games instead of starting up new characters. For those of you who are new, Aradia/Cirque is a teleporter/dexterous type (basically Nightcrawler, circus background and all, hehe).

Following discussions with Mala about Gold; she's suggested that assuming Killer Instinct goes more or less unchanged and would end up with his touch doing anything upwards of 5L (a minimum with mega strength involved), that the power could be controlled in part with a poison that strips away most of his strength and needs to be taken intermittently, along the lines of the Watcher serum out of Buffy, with an antidote to be taken that would restore his strength if it was actually needed.

In game terms that would reduce his power to one that would mostly only sting on touch, since most characters would have at least 2L soak. Enough that people would still not want to touch him but not so much that he'd be a complete pariah.

Alternatively he could wear a fat suit. This is a funnier solution.

All depends on whatever Killer instinct's mechanics end up being.

So... tell me if this is wrong, but the roster of PCs goes as follows:

Returning:

Sonja - Asarasa

Kia - SalmonMax

Morri - Dawn

Alex - Ein

Warren - Dave

Hotstreak - Long

Oneca - Malachite

Josh - Stargaizer

Cirque - Jasmyne

Curtis - Jeremy

New:

Ishvara - Varro

Caitlin - Vivi

Sakurako - Kamiko

Gold - WhiteRain

(Name Unknown) - Abyss

This shouldn't take too long for the build. As everyone is aware I am slowed up due to Kamiko's happy little moment and I gotta get that done. :P Whoever said power was a burden wasn't kidding.

I'll be working on Sakurako in a bit. I'll use my 200X account to login. Just gotta remember to change the av since this version of Sakurako won't have CK.

Archived