Aberrant: Mutant High - Ultimate Aberrant: OOC Thread

Dave ST

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I have an idea for a power. It's a power from the .pdf in my sig. It's a niche power in the extreme, but I was wondering about it's portability to Aberrant.

Quote:
Digestive Adaption (Physical) [AN]

If your mutant can get it into her stomach, she can digest it. Toxic waste, old shoes, bolts, the Beast's casseroles, you name it. Of course, this Power doesn't improve the tastes of things. No roll is required to activate this Power. There are a few implications to this Power:

* As long as you've got something to stuff into your mouth, you

won't starve.

* Food with minimal nutritional value becomes as good for you as

the best health food.

* Ingested poisons will do you no harm whatsoever.

¥¥ Digest just about anything. Bon appetites!

I was thinking that it would be a rank 2 power on its own, or possibly fall under 'body modification (perhaps taking 2 ranks of the power or some such). The 3rd of the 'implications' is completely negotiable.

Ideas/rulings?

I think Courier's talking about this:

True Omnivore

Certain Mega-Vigorous novas have developed the capability to gain nourishment from eating and/or drinking nearly any organic matter, from wood to kudzu to 2,000-year-old bones. Their bodies actually break down the molecules and atoms of the organic matter that they consume, and convert them into needed nutrients. A few such novas are rumored to be able to consume inorganic matter as well, but none of them have publicly displayed that capability as of 2015.

System: This enhancement grants the nova certain capabilities depending on how many levels are taken.

One level: The nova can consume any organic matter without ill effect or damaging his digestive system. Without spending quantum points, the nova automatically subtracts his Mega-Stamina rating from the Virulence rating of any poisons, harmful drugs or biological material (disease-causing germs, parasites, and other unpleasant organic items) that he ingests. The nova may spend quantum points on a 1:1 basis to reduce the Virulence rating further. Also, the nova's gastrointestinal tract is superhumanly tough & resilient, allowing him to safely consume items like splintered wood. Finally, the nova can absorb or synthesize whatever nutrients he needs (and only what he needs- excess nutrients will neither be absorbed nor synthesized) from the organic matter that he consumes. This allows the nova to thrive on what baselines would consider an unhealthy diet, and renders him immune to the effects of both nutrient deficiency and overdoses. As a side benefit, the nova is also immune to gastrointestinal problems such as ulcers.

Two levels: Without spending quantum points, the nova automatically subtracts his (Quantum + Mega-Stamina) from the Virulence rating of any poisons, harmful drugs or biological contaminants that he ingests, and can spend quantum points to reduce the Virulence rating as noted above. The nova is also now capable of consuming inorganic matter without injury, ignoring the damaging effects of the consumed material in much the same way that novas with Adaptability can survive in hostile environments. Finally, the nova no longer produces any bodily wastes other than sweat, dander, and carbon dioxide.

This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost except where noted above.

Reminds me of a body mod I made:

Body Modification: Theophidian Maw (1np/3xp)

The nova's mouth and gastrointestinal tract become flexible like a snake's. His jaw bone splits into two pieces, and muscles develop to allow the jaw to unhinge at will. The nova's maw can stretch to absurd proportions, allowing him to swallow whole goats, pigs, or other large objects to satisfy his tremendous nova appetite. The nova's trunk expands to accommodate the meal as it is digested, which may negatively affect social interactions and getting into vehicles. Anything the nova can not digest, and that is too big to be excreted the usual way, will get coughed back out through the mouth the way that snakes cough up balls of bones. This modification does not allow the nova to digest materials he could not otherwise digest, but the nova metabolism does rapidly increase the speed of digestion.

This would make a good combo with True Omnivore.

Originally Posted By: Courier
There were a lot of seriously desperate people with spinal injuries. Most would be thrilled to take part in an experimental study, even if the exact details were cloaked in impenetrable medical double talk. Also apparently there was money in it, and the good Doctor was willing to cut 'John' in on the action.

250 dollars per patient times six patients meant Mike was holding $1,500. Serious money.

Courier: a note on what you did in the last post of your character's origin story. The 'experiments' that your doctor did are basically useless to science. The trials cannot be successfully replicated, and the doctor will be suspected to be a mutant himself. I doubt Michael is the first mutant with the ability to heal, so when someone with a spinal injury starts walking again, I'm sure the first thing brought up is 'mutant'. I really doubt that anyone would take that risk who isn't a mutant.

The issue is that cloaking it in double talk won't stop other doctors from asking about it. If this is a real trial, you have to fill out forms with medical boards; you have to document everything. If it isn't a real trial, then it's just several rich someones paying to be healed.

The 'experiments' that your doctor did are basically useless to science.

Yep. I hinted something about that.

I doubt Michael is the first mutant with the ability to heal, so when someone with a spinal injury starts walking again, I'm sure the first thing brought up is 'mutant'.

Unclear. In Marvel Reed Richards (etc) haven't bothered curing cancer. People with healing (which is already shockingly rare at any level below the Silver Surfer) *never* bother to heal or cure the common man.

If it isn't a real trial, then it's just several rich someones paying to be healed.

Yep again. Probably an amount *FAR* larger than $250 a pop too. I was going to mention something about that.

While we're on that subject, I don't think patients don't pay to join studies.

Michael cannot heal spinal injuries in humans at his level of power. His abysmally low focus rating and his abysmally low healing rating make sure of that.

He is not a doctor, not a surgeon and by all accounts the character sheet you submitted to me would be lucky if he could set a broken bone with his equally abysmal medicine score.

Michael is untrained, unskilled, and almost completely clueless when it comes to healing people. Some scrapes and bruises? Sure. A cut, a sprain? Sure.

Nerve tissue and spinal injuries? No.

Considering rats are incredibly weak simple I don't mind him toying around with those. Any attempt for Micheal to heal the nerve damage of a human being (which requires far more successes and boxes of health than you can hope to generate with Micheal's statistics) will be met with immediate and utter failure.

At this point his Doctor contact is risking his medical license and facing imprisonment for malpractice. The Doctor is not doing the healing, Micheal is. Micheal is not a accredited medical practitioner and he is experimenting on people with unsanctioned medical treatments. That's a ton of lawsuits and a one way trip for both of them to serve some time.

And Carver is right, accelerated regeneration of nerve tissue would result in a mutie red flag.

If I have to provide a chart for what your are capable of, I will. I do not accept '1 dot wonders' walking around as if they have all the answers and unlimited power.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Shane
Dave: You need to add Sonja to the list.

Also, how many people do we need before we can move forward?

I'm aware of who I need to add. Thank you however for living in front of your computer and monitoring the thread like a hawk. It's incredibly creepy but moderately helpful.

Also, I'll run this like grade school... the people that keep bugging me about it will end up on the teams that go last.

Re: medical experiments. Medical researchers usually pay the patients to participate in trials, or provide the procedure/drugs free. Experimental surgical procedures on the other hand usually require the patient to pay.

Sorry for the absence in this game. With the Lasik and the whole family being sick it was a rough couple weeks. You can include Jor in the plot stuff please. No rush though, put him in which ever group you need him.

Originally Posted By: Courier
add Mike to that list please

I can't. The plot threads are for students of the school. Micheal has done nothing at the school so far and his Origins thread still has him 'not there'.

When the PC does something of note (like actually have a fic at the school) I'll add him.

Alright people, be prepared.

Trouble in Times Square:

Revenant

Kazoo

Morri

Jor

Ren

An Offer You Can't Refuse:

Procyon

Josh

V. Vincent

Shard

Day of the Dreadnoughts:

Hard Drive

Oneca

Sonja

Hotstreak

Quote:
And can we suggest stuff to you for our PCs - and others?

Actually a 'Character Story Ideas' thread is forthcoming. The thread would include things that we, as players, could recommend as ideas for ourselves and other PCs that others may want to get involved in or even ST it.

So if you had a few ideas for Morri you could post em up and other players could look and say 'hey, that sounds like a cool idea, I'd like to get involved' or even 'hey, I could run that for you, I love that kind of drama/action/etc.'.

On that same coin let's say you've been following the Revenant/Oneca romance you could post a few suggestion for things those two players could do for story ideas like 'their first real lovers quarrel', 'their first real date' or even 'Rise of the Sonja's'.

Honestly it's almost like allowing us to direct where the game goes with a huge 'Mad Libs' tablet or 'Choose Your Own Adventure' booklet where as we read people can applaud a storyline and then offer up forks in the road (for good or ill) that we may not had considered when the original idea hit us. Obviously no one is required to accept these recommendations but at least we'll have place to be heard and contribute to the lives of the PCs, even if the PC isn't our own.

This way if we're slow on ideas, I know sometimes I'd rather run a story than write for my own PC, we have areas where we as writers can constantly feed each other motivation. For every story that's told two more are waiting to be written in the success or fallout. smile

At least, that's my outlook on things.

I have a request/suggestion. Now that we have gotten started, and had all these social mixers and such, I think that any new players should also be new students. Unless they come up with something, like being young and bumped up a couple of grades, or someone older who for some reason started hanging out with younger kids...

It just doesn't make sense to introduce new characters, after we've all interacted, who have been there, supposedly, for years.

Just an observation and suggestion.

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
I have a request/suggestion. Now that we have gotten started, and had all these social mixers and such, I think that any new players should also be new students.
That's what I'm going with for Mike. In a post or two he'll be out-ed and have to transfer.

Quote:
I am interested in participating in one of the plots, if it's not too late to add me and I qualify.

You can take Jor's place in 'Trouble in Times Square'.

Quote:
I have a request/suggestion. Now that we have gotten started, and had all these social mixers and such, I think that any new players should also be new students.

Excellent idea. Going forward, all student that join the forum are new students.

Oh, and one other thing, Director Drumm can not be a Mentor (Since he's rating 6 and you guys don't go that high yet) so please stop asking. smile

Quote:
That's what I'm going with for Mike. In a post or two he'll be out-ed and have to transfer.

Hold that thought Courier. Micheal is actually part of the 'An Offer You Can't Refuse' plot thread. I've been meaning to PM you about that but I've been incredibly busy this week.

Speaking of busy, I do appreciate everyone being patient. I'm having a very long work week. smile

Originally Posted By: Suzume Demouy
I actually know what you mean, Stargaizer.

I'm not trying to Forest Gump myself in, Suzume actually has been unable to attend school for the past few weeks, for several reasons.

This is going to a difficult week for me to be posting, but I will be clarifying things, albeit skowly.

Why do I not have a character sheet submission for Suzume?

I found it, never mind... I'm an idiot. smile

I just wanted to add, for anybody new to Open World (as I myself am... though I'm getting a little more experience under my belt):

If you want to know if a fiction is open for your character to join, the best place to start would be the person who created the fiction thread. It wouldn't be a bad idea to send a PM to everybody who is in the thread.

Click to reveal..
If this is improper etiquette info, let me know and I'll delete it. I just wanted to get this info out there for new guys like myself

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Quote:

Hold that thought Courier. Micheal is actually part of the 'An Offer You Can't Refuse' plot thread. I've been meaning to PM you about that but I've been incredibly busy this week.
Sounds great. I'd written up his last post before I read this (it's been in my editor for quite a while) but I've saved it and will re-post as appropriate.

Archived