Aberrant: Mutant High - Ultimate Aberrant: OOC Thread

Dave ST

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, a true hero's venture, with well-defined morals and those four bright primary colors showing us the way to righteous glory! Why yes, my friends, this sounds like the new beginning I've been looking for, a bright yellow sunrise scourging the dot-pattern of shadows from the landscape of my soul and giving vibrant life to the azure blue that symbolizes my steadfast ways!

Excellent. I'm very pleased that so many are interested and I'm working up some of the quidelines for making a PC.

For now, share ideas. While my main PC will be 'Revenant' all my Aberrant PCs will be making an appearance eventually as NPCs. Primal, Contessa, Jaunt... people will meet and encounter all my accounts eventually.

'Procyon' will be my main. Young, dumb and full of... solar fire. >.>

Guest stars will be, in no particular order: Voltage, Tomas (Darkling or Classic version), and possibly a Sergeant Perault-ish character. Hell, can chuck Einherjar in there too for guest appearances. laugh

While we're at it...

I'm providing Charlie Cole and Jeremy Noctis to the NPC pool.

Charlie Cole:

-Powers: Elemental Mastery (Air)

- Ideas to use: A low-level villain, like one of Spiderman's common foes. IE- Scorpion, Electro, Vulture.

Jeremy Noctis:

-Powers: Domination (or other appropriate power), Healing.

- Ideas to use: A teacher at the school or a major villain's sidekick-type follower.

Hmm, I've a few ideas, and concepts I may try.

A heroine with Mastery of Ice and Cold (Female), or perhaps a destroyer, with Disintegration & Entropy Control, or someone with the ability to create and shape physical matter, Matter Creation and Molecular Manipulation.

Going with a wolvie knock-off (though not necessarily that personality), not sure exactly which account I'll be fitting her into yet. The powers: Claws and Regen and the ability to kick ass. The possibilities: Jules, Olivia, maybe Infinity.

NPCS: Sean would make a great villian in his Chaos persona. He'd also make a good 'bad-boy' for some girl to get into trouble over. Mercury Fire could be an actual musician (instead of a spy) who is with the Brotherhood or something. All my other characters are up for fun with being guest stars, actually.

Another idea. Perhaps we could reduce the NP cost of enhancements. 3 NP is the same as a dot in the mega att, could make them cheaper to encourage the usage of them as opposed to power combinations. Would help the "Perfect human characters"

Alternately, grant an Enhancement for each dot in the mega attribute.

Also we have two people doing fire already, no reason we can't have two mental types. I wouldn't be doing an emotional manipulator but going with a more classic psi concept. Telepathy/TK stuff like that.

Also: not sure if there is anyone I would want to reboot. Daniel from 200x is a emotional manipulator so that would be even more of an overlap.

What sorts of rules are going to be used for this game regarding things like non-canon powers/enhancements, merits/flaws, and strengths/weaknesses?

I know for my part I'm all for non-canon powers and enhancements, so long as they're well-designed, and I'm also a big fan of both merits and flaws. Strengths and weaknesses I'm iffy about at best. Some good things can come of them, but for the most part they just seem to come out broken.

But I'm not the one putting all of this together, so those are just my opinions. What's the actual ruling on that stuff?

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't play a telepath- just disagreeing with the statement that no one had claimed a mentalist yet. There is, inevitably, going to be overlap on powers. As long as the concept isn't the same, I don't mind much, since they'd probably be focusing on something different.

Originally Posted By: Bombshell
Question: Rev, you mentioned other funky Eufiber - are you going to have the rules for that in this game? Maybe each dot of the background lets you store a point of Quantum or add a point of Armour, another dot to let it change shape, etc.

I'll have to find my notes on it, if not I'll rewrite it. Only the rarest of suits ever provided all three bonuses, you usually got one or two nick-nacks for your 'costume' and changing its shape was generally reserved for things that already changed their shape.

If you plan on starting with a suit it would either provide protection or energy storage and you might want to have a good story as to why you have a suit... most teen muties don't have their tights yet, their still trying to get through school.

Quote:
What sorts of rules are going to be used for this game regarding things like non-canon powers/enhancements, merits/flaws, and strengths/weaknesses?

I know for my part I'm all for non-canon powers and enhancements, so long as they're well-designed, and I'm also a big fan of both merits and flaws. Strengths and weaknesses I'm iffy about at best. Some good things can come of them, but for the most part they just seem to come out broken.

But I'm not the one putting all of this together, so those are just my opinions. What's the actual ruling on that stuff?

I'm willing to review anything non-canon. In case you hadn't noticed I excel in non-canon rules editing and general quackery.

But allow me to be real clear on no-canon rulings: I'm not here to argue with people. I don't care if someone thinks their creation is the greatest thing and most balanced piece of work since the creation of the damn universe, if it gets nixed, it gets nixed.

If that makes people wanna pick up their hot wheels and go to another sand box, so be it. This game isn't about 'you' its about every player involved. If I make a decision its because I've considered it among the whole, not just with 'you' in mind.

Allegiances -

I'm torn on whether or not we should do this. Basically if we all start at the school and go from there everyone is in the same place and can write together.

If I incorporate allegiances then people can start scattered, and that does allow for more diversity among the players but let's face it, you run a risk of being the only person on your group and then what? You could end up writing alone and that's not fun.

Bad Guys -

Yes, you can play a bad guy. Chances are you'll be out numbered, but some of the greatest heroes have come from villain stock (Revenant is a good example of that).

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
I'm willing to review anything non-canon. In case you hadn't noticed I excel in non-canon rules editing and general quackery.

But allow me to be real clear on no-canon rulings: I'm not here to argue with people. I don't care if someone thinks their creation is the greatest thing and most balanced piece of work since the creation of the damn universe, if it gets nixed, it gets nixed.

If that makes people wanna pick up their hot wheels and go to another sand box, so be it. This game isn't about 'you' its about every player involved. If I make a decision its because I've considered it among the whole, not just with 'you' in mind.
Awesome. I'm glad to hear you say all of that, and I'm down 100%.

So I'll go ahead and put my non-canon ideas out there for peer review.

The first thing is a Flaw, called 'Inefficient Quantum', and here are the details:
Originally Posted By: Inefficient Quantum
Inefficient Quantum [3 point Flaw] The nova has trouble using her energies to their highest potential. As a result, the most quantum points she can spend per turn is 4. This may be modified by the Node Background, but only at half value (1 extra quantum point per turn / per point of Node.)
I did not make this one up, but I've been aware of it for a while now, and I've always thought it was a pretty cool idea. With this game using 'Focus' instead of 'Quantum', this flaw seems especially appropriate for Kazuo, since I do not see even his adult persona (let alone his high school persona) as being very 'focused' at all. So I'm thinking about taking this. What do you guys think?

Second is a power I made up just recently that I'm simply calling 'Wuxia Leaping', and here are its details:
Originally Posted By: Wuxia Leaping
Leaping
Level: 1
Quantum Minimum: 1
Dice Pool: Dexterity + Leaping
Range: self
Duration: Maintenance
Area: N/A
Effect: Grants the nova all of the abilities of a kung fu master from a Wuxia movie. Allowing them to leap for incredible distances, balance on bamboo shoots, and even run up walls.
Multiple action: yes
Description: While not as powerful or versatile as the Flight power, Leaping still allows a nova to virtually ignore the effects of gravity while it is active. She can run at an increased speed, leap incredible distances, and even run up walls and support herself upon structures that should not be able to support her weight. In combat, the character may add (Power Rating x 2) meters to her running and sprinting speeds, and she may leap vertically as high as (Power Rating) x 2 meters, and may leap horizontally as far as (Power Rating) x 8 meters. Note that the character still cannot move further than half her Run speed in meters and still act in a turn (this includes leaps). Out of combat, speed is multiplied by (Power Rating + 1). This multiplication to speed is added to any increase granted by the Enhanced Movement enhancement of Mega-Dexterity (so if a character has 2 dots of Leaping and 2 dots of Mega-Dexterity, she may multiply her speed by as much as x6).
Perhaps most impressively, however, is that a character using Leaping can ignore the effects of gravity in most cases, provided she keeps moving, or has something (no matter how fragile or unlikely) to support herself with. She can run up walls, balance on a twig, and hook a foot into an overhead beam and engage her enemies in combat while hanging upside down without fear of slipping and falling (i.e. with no penalty applied). If she is attacked while leaping through the air (and has not moved further than half of her Run speed), she may engage in combat, including dodging and parrying attacks, without penalty. Falls, up to the character's maximum vertical Leaping distance (as listed above) do no damage, after which the normal rules for falling come into play.
In all cases the Storyteller is the final arbiter on what is, or is not, possible through use of this power.
Extras: none
If allowed to take this, Kazuo's version of it won't be quite as 'Kung Fu'-ey, but more like extreme free running (parkour). I'm planning on Kazuo having high Strength, but no mega-strength, which means stuff like Quantum Leap is off-limits (and does significantly more than I want it to, anyway). This power would help simulate his high strength and superhuman athleticism without giving him Hulk-level leaping abilities.

In case anyone's wondering about the logic behind the leaping distances, BTW, it's based off of the quarter-to-one ratio of vertical to horizontal jumping given in the core book. Characters may normally leap .5 meters vertically per success on a Might roll, and 2 meters horizontally.

Finally, I'm hoping to be able to use Probability Forging, which is a power that I got approved for Guo Zhenglai, over in MCoH:
Originally Posted By: Probability Forging
Probability Forging
Level: 2
Quantum Minimum: 3
Dice Pool: Wits + Probability Forging
Range: self
Duration: Maintenance
Area: N/A
Effect: Gives the character a brief glimpse into the future, allowing her to perform actions with much greater confidence. Number of successes determines degree of effectiveness.
Multiple action: yes
Description: This power works similar to Pretercognition, but is much more focused and limited. By peering into the immediate future (no more than a few moments) the nova gains a preternatural insight into the best course of action in many situations. This power works as Luck, save that it’s duration is Maintenance, rather than Permanent, it is a Level 2 power, and it has a dice pool of (Wits + Probability Forging) instead of just Luck.
Extras: none
This one's fairly straightforward, so I won't bother with any lengthy explanations.

Anyway, that's the non-canon stuff I'm looking at. If any or all of these are approved, then of course they would be open to any other players who might wish to take them.

So let me know what you guys think, and thanks in advance.

Gadgeteering - Gadgetry is a background that I wrote up for Fox awhile back. Hopefully he still has it.

Inefficient Quantum - I like it. Go for it.

Leaping - Sounds like an awful lot for a level 1 power. I see a toned down enhanced movement, adhesive grip, toned down quantum leap, aerial dodging and immunity to falls all for a single NP.

If you want your PC to have Parkour just take 'Athletics (Parkour)'. Free running would get incredibly difficult to do when you're leaping three blocks (then it's just jumping really far, not free running). I see no reason for the PC to 'stick' to surfaces (they're spider-men?). He either has something to hold on to or he falls. Aerial dodging should be an extra, since that's getting a bit too close to the level of mastery of 'flight' (3D movement in the air).

Probability Forging - Gonna have to nix this one. The application of a maintainable Luck will seriously off set and back burner the need for other characters to be there. If it's adjusting probability why isn't it part of the Entropy Control suite?

Archived