World of Darkness: Attrition - Hedgeshopping with Dec

Jeremy

July 20, 2009

12 pm

It had been a nasty night on June 30, when Jeremy and co. had eliminated the Hunters in the church. Aside from being the first baptism in combat for Jeremy, it had convinced him thoroughly that procuring a real weapon was in order.

Of course, he figured a gun would be best, but he wanted an very effective gun, but more than would likely be easily obtainable legally. So, he had prepared a list of Hedge ingredients based on talking around to previous makers.

Bones of a serpent hobgoblin, an appropriate stone for a trigger, blackvenom fruit juice, and so on... Everything but one was there.

Smiling, and thinking of several reasons he could argue for bringing the man he had in mind along, Jeremy sat back in his chair and dialed the number he'd obtained for Dec.

"..If you got a hunger for what you see, / You'll take it eventually.

You can have anything you want / But you better not take it from me..."

The shrill ringing of the phone interrupted Owns-The-Night as he was halfway through his workout. The warrior put one hand out to steady the swaying heavy bag before crossing the room and picking up the phone, W. Axl Rose and the rest of G'N'R cutting off a second later as he grabbed the remote and flicked the 'pause' button.

"Yeah?" was all Jeremy heard after a second of silence.

"If you have some hours to kill, I'd like you to accompany me on a little project taking us in what we changelings call the Hedge." Jeremy suggested in a salesman pitching manner. Not sure whether he could sway Declan, he offered a simple sweetener.

"If nothing else, call it a favor that you can call in later." He offered. "Especially if you need me for whatever reason to help handle something too big for your teeth, cause this will really help."

Dec sighed, looking up at the ceiling. The kid was going to get someone killed, talking like that over unsecured lines. He counted to five, took a deep breath, and when he did speak his voice was a paragon of calm friendliness.

"Noctis, tell me you're not on a cellphone. Hell, even on a landline you don't talk about some things so openly." Well, maybe there was a hint of growl in that voice, but it definitely was not what it could be. "Okay, okay. I'll meet you where we first met. When do you want to do this?"

"Alright. I'll meet you there in an hour. Talk to ya then." Dec told the changeling bartender before hanging up. He got up off the couch and padded to the bathroom, letting the last of his tension out into the bag as he passed it with a solid punch that left it swinging behind him.

As he got cleaned up, he mused over what Jeremy had said. What the fuck IS the Hedge, anyway?

Just under an hour later, the rumbling snarl of Dec's bike was heard just outside the resturant Jeremy had indicated as the werewolf pulled over, his thick brown hair tousled from the wind as he killed the engine and dismounted, glancing around warily. After only a short pause, the Rahu strode over to the Chinese restaurant's entrance and stepped out of the California sunlight into the comparative gloom inside.

Archived