Game of Thrones: A Cold Wind Blows - Chapter 1b: Iron in the River

Lord Hornwood looked between the two of them and nodded. "For obvious reasons no one is to know of this. We leave in two days after my men have had a chance to rest. We will leave after night fall. Go to the King's Road and head south. Once we reach Lord Harroway's town we will turn west and make for Riverrun with all haste."

The following day after Darrik's lessons with the Lord's son there was a knock on the door. As he called for them to enter Jaegan walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Maester Darrik I just heard what happened. If you would allow I want to take you to Riverrun on the Sea Spray. The journey would go much faster by taking the river."

Darrik sighed. "Thank you Jaegan, but I have already accepted Lord Hornwood's offer, and it would be impolite to refuse. Besides, I'm sure Lord Mallister needs you here, to keep watch. And to offer advice. Considering the turn of events, your word is as good as any here. Best of luck to you though."

"I mean to take both you and the north men on my ship sir. As to here Lord Mallister has got plenty to offer him advice. If the Iron Men attack seagaurd then there is nothing the Sea Spray is going to do against their war galleys. I can help you get to the Tullys faster and get word to Lord Stannis so his fleet can set sail. Not to mention if we get attacked on the way a raiding party is no match for my crew."

Jaegan gave a snort. "Lord Mallister doesn't like the idea of giving up a ship no matter how small it is. If you supported my idea I am sure that he would agree. As to Lord Hornwood he doesn't like boats that much is obvious, but I think he likes the idea of having twenty more men with him for the journey."

Jaegan gave a nod. Frowning he looked up and down the hall to make sure no one was around. "The foolish do. I have been serving my lord for many years now and I believe he did quite well before you showed up. Lord Mallister values your council but I promise you it takes a blind man to think his thoughts are not his own."

"It is true he is not. Did you know he was first mate to me for five years before he was given his long boat?" Jaegan stopped for a moment.

"I shouldn't be tellin you this sir. But there have been accusations about Lorost. They say he is not loyal. When those accusations came up he was quick enough to attack you. You are right, he is no fool. Remember that." With that the captain started walking again.

As the two entered the meeting chamber the Lords Mallister and Hornwood were there with their sons. Rorx was also in the room along with the two long ship captains. Jaegan spoke up as they entered. "Lord Mallister I have offered the Sea Spray to Lord Hornwood and Maester Darrik and they seem to feel it would be best to get to Riverrun as quickly as possible."

Rorx considers the Captain, and Maester Darrik for a while. He has little interest in going anywhere by boat especially considering the disadvantage they would be at compared with the Iron men. However, if Lord Hornwood has decided that there is some greater benefit to be gained then there is little point arguing the matter.

He shrugs slightly and says, "How long would the journey take then Captain, and when could we sail. Assuming that you agree of course Lord Mallister?"

"Assuming weather permitting I could have you in Lord Tully's hall in two weeks. If we left tomorrow morning we could be to the ship and on board by sun set." Jaegan looked to Mallister. Lord Mallister looked down at the map.

"I see no other option then. If you are agreed Darrik. I can not think of better hands to put you in then Jaegan's."

The next day saw them to the Sea Spray. There had been some arguments brought up when Jaegan refused to take the horses with them but he finally won the argument with the simple fact his ship could not house the horses and all the men. "I am sure Lord Tully can provide you with new horses to make for King's Landing."

The next two days were filled with the sounds of oars or winds in the sail. The north men were mostly put to work keeping an eye on the shore. The ship only had one apartment in it which Jaegan gave over to Lord Hornwood and his son. The rest slept on deck where room could be found. Around midday the Lord came up on deck and approached Jaegan. "If the wind keeps helping us like this we might reach Riverrun well before two weeks." The captain only nodded then went about instructing his crew.

Jaegan was a different man on his ship then he was in the halls of Seaguard. When he spoke it was harder and commanded more authority. Darrik had often heard sailors believed every man to be a king on his own ship. He was fair but harsh to his men and not a one of them ever spoke back or offered complaint. It also seemed for the past day something was bothering him though he did not seem apt to share.

Rorx did his best to keep out of the way of the sailors, and to keep an eye on the nearest coast for any landmarks that he might have noticed on the maps he had studied before they set off. Other than that his concern was for the well being of the men, without which they would be in little state to fight should the need arise.

As the sun started to lower Jaegan spoke with his first mate and the oars were lowered to the water. The Sea Spray was slowly moved over to the shore. Jaegan gave a nod and suddenly the entire crew had their weapons drawn and pointed at the north men. A short moment later men started moving out of the trees and bushes on the shore with axes, swords, and maces in hand.

"As long as none of you draw a weapon you will be spared. You will have to forgive me Lord Hornwood but I am afraid having one of the wolf's dogs as hostage is too much of a opportunity for me to pass up. King Greyjoy will reward me greatly for this."

Rorx keeps his hands away from his weapons and motions for the men to do likewise.

Attempting to hide his contempt for the oathbreaking scum of a Captain Rorx thinksOutnumbered like this there is no reason to tempt unnecessary deaths. Although I look forward to dealing with this Captain at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

As the Iron Men boarded the ship the northerners were disarmed. All of them except for Hornwood, Rorx, and Darrik were tied up and the ship started back tracking up the river. Heading towards the open sea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This ends chapter 1b. 3000 xp to Rorx and Darrik.

Archived