The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Sphere

Went to see it last night, and I have to say I was mildly pleased. It wasn't the greatest film I've ever seen but I didn't come out wanting to put all of Hollywood to the sword for mutilating such a fantastic comic series.

Sean Connery rules, as always (Of coursh). I liked his version of Alan Quartermain, although I like the opium addled comic version better.

Invisible Man was much better than I thought he'd be, as was Dr Jeckyl/ Mr Hyde. It was nice to see Mina Harker in full on vampire mode, but I'd rather they'd followed the book and put her in charge of the group, but that's just the inner geek speaking.

Storyline was much better than I expected too.

My only minor complaint was that Agent Sawyer seemed to be surplus to recquirements. Surely there's other characters in American literature who could be considered slightly more "extraordinary". Though watch out for his "Adventure"-style dramatic editing powers, the boy's a natural Daredevil.

Considering that Huck Finn takes place in the pre-Civil War south, Tom was probably born in the late 1830s or early 1840s (making him close to the same age as MT/SC, who was born in 1835). So the turn of the 20th century would put him in his late 50s at least, like Vixen said. Of course the book wasn't published until 1876, so if the character didn't spring to life until after the book, he would be close to the right age. The inclusion of Tom Sawyer doesn't make a lot of sense, but like many other things in the movie (namely the Nautilus going down the canals of Venice) it's still entertaining.

I did like the inclusion of Dorian Gray in the movie, who also wasn't in the comic. As a fan of Oscar Wilde, I was glad to see Dorian there. Of course if you have ever read the story, you can pretty much figure out what his part in the movie was.

The movie was enjoyable and possibly the epitome of a popcorn flick... look but don't think.

Actually, that was explained to me by a friend (yes, the same friend) - Mina Harker is a phenomenal chemist. After she was afflicted with Vampirism, she went to work developing a cure for herself. It didn't work exactly as expected, but it did at least cure her of that little sunlight problem...

Archived