Game of Thrones: A Cold Wind Blows - Chapter 1a: The gathering storm in King's Landing

Galiana half-skipped out of the main section of the house, her mood superb. She'd already heard about the tourney, and she was excited about her first chance to prove herself. Plus, that was a great way to pick up a few extra coin, if she were careful and not greedy.

She paused when she saw Bannon, looking almost moopy. Curious about what could have the giant man so down, she dropped onto the step next to him, again putting him on her left side. "Did you hear about the tourney?" she asked, bubbling with excitement. "Are you planning on entering?"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morgaine's lips pressed into a tight line as she tied off the end of it with a piece of ribbon and she considered her response. Finally, her eyes met Nym's, and she let the braid tumble down Nym's back as she studied the Princess quietly before speaking. The pause in and of itself was enough of an indication that the sly noblewoman had already given it a fair effort and had yet to meet with success.

"I don't know. If there is something, I will let you know. It is certainly beyond my normal spheres, but no one furthers themselves without obstacles. I will keep you updated, Princess."

So lost had he been in his brooding that Bannorn had not a chance of hearing the light-footed girl before she plunked down onto the step next to him. Even as his head swung round to regard her, he noted absently that she kept her scarred side away from him... again. She had proved reluctant to put herself in situations where he could look upon it, he realised. If they were together, she always sat or stood so that her scars were facing away from his casual view.

Despite his fears, and despite his musing on Galiana's behaviour, the giant man smiled at her, infected by her exuberance.

"Aye, I'll be enterin' the melee." He rumbled amiably. "And ye? Will ye be wagerin' on me?" The smile became a grin as he nudged the girl gently with a huge elbow.

"Of course I will," Galiana said, smiling at him and making a note to find a pocket to lighten so she had some coin to wager. "And I'm going to try the archery tourney." She paused for a moment before confessing, "I don't know that I have a good shot, but I want to try."

As if admitting that defeat was possible had embarrassed her, she quickly changed the subject. "I won't watch the jousting. A bunch of nobles, trumped up on their own importance and thinking that they're so impressive. The melee's where the real fighting is."

He nodded agreement. "A joust is all about teaching knights to stay on their horses during a charge. After the charge, if the enemy don't break, the knight's who can't handle his sword and shield right is hip-deep in the shit."

"I'll bet on you in the archery, though. Least I could do, and besides, you might win me some money." He grinned at her. "And I'll be spending the next couple of weeks training, just to make sure I don't embarrass any of my friends who do bet on me. I'll be damned and dead if some lordling is going to put me down at the first clash of steel."

Archived