World of Darkness: Glimpses of Darkness - Chapter One: A Mysterious Summons [Complete]

Kylie_OOC

Connor glanced up from where he'd been systematically devouring the sandwich and fries he'd ordered with an apetite and efficiency of man that worked out regularly. "I'm a contractor for the government, a consultant. I do risk analysis and recovery investigations; that sort of thing."

He quirked a smile at Krystal, "Paper-pushing and making people feel better about decisions they already made, mostly." He shrugged easily, "I can't get much more detailed than that without giving some beurocrat or politician a heart attack somewhere in DC. I've gotten a bit of reputation for handling the 'weird' cases, though. Guess that's where Robillard got my name from."

He finished the fries and pulled a pen out of his jacket, clicking it open, signing the contract with a perfunctory flourish and setting it towards the end of the table where everyone could reach. "Alright, let's get everyone signed on that's going to play ball with us, and then get organized about how we're going to do this."

He motioned towards the signed contract. "Ian? Are you in or out?"

If she kept nagging like this, she'd better fucking putting out soon. He was getting tired of her pushiness. At this rate, even if he did get some money, he was going to spend it all Jolene. That'd teach Krystal not to fuckin' nag him. But he was quickly distracted.

Ian's eyes narrowed at the spook, wondering which agency he was 'contracting' for - and why he was singling Ian out. However, displaying the knowledge that he had the inside scoop on government buzz words probably wasn't healthy.

It'd also be nice if the guy would quit smiling at Krystal.

"Ain't finished reading it, if ya don't mind," Ian said easily, giving Conner the same smile that always earned him a backhand from Orson. "I'm sure a worldly man like yourself would never advise someone to sign something without reading it. Never know what Constitutional rights you might be giving away."

As he'd been talking, he'd ignored the contract, digging around in his pocket. His hand came out with a cigarette, and he popped it in his mouth. "Gonna smoke," he said, making sure his coat was shut. Krystal cleared her throat pointedly, and Ian sighed and rolled his eyes. He still reached over the table and snatched up the contract. His lighter was in his other hand and he flicked it playfully at the contract as he walked outside.

Feeling the tension of dealing with Conner through his body, he lit up, then started to read.

• 3 weeks later...

Krystal watched Ian head out with a smirk, before turning her smile back on Conner. She took another bite of her burger, wiped her hands on the napkin, then picked up her copy of the contract, sitting on the table. Another quick pass over, then she signed her name with an elaborate flourish.

"Don't worry, Conner, Ian'll sign. I'll make sure of it." There was a superior feminine edge to her grin, a woman sure she could get a man to do what she wants, though Conner didn't think the young, busty, auburn-haired woman was aware of it. She took a sip of her Coke, eying Conner with half-closed eyes. "Sure you don't want to say a bit more about what you do? I think the Capital could do with fewer bureaucrats and politicians."

Archived