World of Darkness: Attrition - Resurfacing

z021

"Not bad," he replied. "Just got out, huh? I can relate, just a week with my family feels like a year in prison." He knew she stumbled, he didn't need to hear words to tell when she was lying, not that it took magic to notice Morgan trying to lie; she was terrible at it. "Glad you're back at least, you look great." And smell like Roz.

"Care to catch up, everyone is currently enraptured in their next bit of super-drama instead of enjoying the party," He grinned and winked. "I could use at least one sane mind to shake away the troubles of the night, you game?"

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Declan bridled a little under Hunt's gentle scolding, but (as usual) he couldn't argue with the logic. Truth be told, he'd simply wanted to introduce the changeling to Oneca for now, not work out a war party into this Arcadia place. The introduction had gotten out of hand, but to be fair part of that was in earnest attempt to allay Oneca's immediate hostility towards Jeremy. Not that the changeling had helped in that regard overmuch.

Then Hunt muttered something and disappeared, various people started talking, but Dec's nostrils twitched as he smelled another Uratha seconds before Ariel's appearance registered on his conscious mind. Seconds after August slipped out of his arms and offered some liquid solidarity to Oneca, Owns-The-Night likewise rose to his feet, stepping across to the slender redhead, who definitely looked different to his eyes.

"Ariel." he nodded in return, straight-faced for a long moment before the corner of his mouth crooked up in a lopsided grin. "How've ya been?" His eyes roamed her face for a moment noting, she was sure, more than mere outward changes. "Ya look different. Been on vacation?"

Ariel grinned, and it was a wolf's grin on a human face.

"Not even close. We've got business to discuss though, all of us. I figure tomorrow afternoon would be good. Round up No Moss and Swara and bring them along too."

Her eyes flick to Oneca and August.

"Just them though. Lets say...fourish at your place. If someone can't make that, call me."

Abruptly Ariel's smile warms and she reaches up to tug on Declan's sideburns playfully. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that. Okay, mission accomplished. You guys have a fun party tonight. The work starts tomorrow."

Sarah listened as Ariel talked. It didn't take much to get the message. Her Uratha friends were going to formally form a pack... and given the meeting time, she wasn't invited.

She didn't really have reason to expect any different; after all, she'd failed the Topanga's final test, which - in addition to throwing a massive roadblock in her quest for a mindset of Harmony - pretty neatly underlined the fact that she was not (at this time, anyway) worthy of joining a pack.

With as much dignity as she could muster, Sarah forced a smile. "Glad to see that you'll be moving forward on this," she said to the pair of werewolves present. "Hope it goes well for you." The smile held, even if her eyes betrayed her fallen hopes. "I'm gonna head downstairs and see what trouble Lucien's getting himself into. Catch you later."

Before the painfully maintained grin could falter or her voice could start to tremble, the Dead-Wolf hurried out of the room.

Moss had been ambling around the party for a while. He'd gotten a faint scent of another Uratha and assumed it was Dec or Amber but then had spotted Swara in the kitchen at one point. If she was there then someone would probably be about to bring/watch her, and he was more interested in them than meeting the woman he had had to fight while she was possessed.

Finally he had spotted a familiar face as Ariel disapeared up the stairs (Lucien didn't really count, and was surrounded all the time anyway). It took Moss a while to wend his way through the crowd, but eventually he reached the bottom of the stairs just as Sarah came down them.

"Hi Sarah, how you doing?"

By this point, the last thing Sarah was prepared for was yet another of the ubiquitous Uratha that seemed to fill both her life and unlife. There was no salvaging her lost smile at this point, nor any words - just a brief but long moment when eyes locked and Moss could see pain and envy mixed in a slight tinge of red.

After only a moment's hesitation, she hurried past. By the time she hit the front door, Sarah was almost at a run. That run shifted from two legs to four only moments later in the quiet emptiness of a back alley, as something within her pushed the Dead-Wolf to try and outrun the circumstances of her existence.

Originally Posted By: Lucien Hunt
"Not bad," he replied. "Just got out, huh? I can relate, just a week with my family feels like a year in prison." He knew she stumbled, he didn't need to hear words to tell when she was lying, not that it took magic to notice Morgan trying to lie; she was terrible at it. "Glad you're back at least, you look great." And smell like Roz.

"Care to catch up, everyone is currently enraptured in their next bit of super-drama instead of enjoying the party," He grinned and winked. "I could use at least one sane mind to shake away the troubles of the night, you game?"

In spite of herself, Morgan grinned. Maybe this wouldn't be so difficult, after all.

"I'm a little short on sanity, I'm afraid, but I'll give it a shot." Sobering slightly, she caught his gaze and leaned forward momentarily, murmuring into his ear to be certain he heard her, "After the party, though, I really need to talk to you. Please? It's important."

Abruptly, she shook off the seriousness, physically shaking her head as if to clear her thoughts, and took a long, slow draught of the potent concoction in her cup. She was going to need a few more of these to get through the night without cracking.

"So, ah, how are you and Sarah getting-"

A flash of red hair streaked toward the front door and outside, and Morgan's fey green eyes narrowed in confusion.

"Along," she finished sheepishly. "Um, I think your girlfriend just bolted, Hunt."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Abruptly Ariel's smile warms and she reaches up to tug on Declan's sideburns playfully. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that. Okay, mission accomplished. You guys have a fun party tonight. The work starts tomorrow."

Dec blinked as Ariel tweaked his shaggy hair, clearly puzzled by the changes in her. "Uh... You're not stickin' around for the party? You should, y'know. Meet some of the guys." The large Rahu swept a hand towards where August, Remy and Oneca were sitting quietly. "Girls, this is Ariel. One of the gang. Ariel, that there's August, Oneca and Oneca's friend Remy."

"Bye Sarah" Moss said quietly too himself as Sarah bolted out the door.

Well someone has upset her, and while I don't think it was me per se the lack of cries of pain and blood suggests it was likely one of the others. Better go see whats occurring.

Listening out for the others as best he can over the music Moss made his way up the stairs and along the corridor. Dec's rough tones led him to the right room and he peered into through the doorway.

"Hi guys, and gals. How's things going?"

Ariel gives Oneca, August and Remy a sort of noncommittal, friendly smile and nod. And then No Moss comes in. She looks around to spy him and breaks into another sunny, welcoming smile.

"You! Well hell, looks like the gang's practically all here. Moss, I'm getting everyone together tomorrow at four, will that work for you?"

She frowns at the door for a second, wondering where Sarah'd run off to, and why...well, she'd dig her up later. So to speak.

"Wouldn't doubt it." Lucien replied calmly, giving the night's drama what was one more scoop on the cone. "We're getting along 'ify' I guess you could say. She spends all her time running around with Declan and the others and seems to find time for me usually after the fact. It's unsettling, but it's her nature I suppose. I can't faul somone for being who they are, although I wouldn't mind a heads up in awhile. Needless to say, she's my Facebook 'it's complicated'."

"Sounds important Morgan. Are you okay?" He asked. "You know you'll have all of my time that you need, right?"

Sarah, the party is the other way. His mind reached out to hers. Or do you have a hot date and didn't tell me? She could 'feel' his grin.

Had anyone been watching, they might have broke out in laughter (if they hadn't been terrified of a wolf running through the backyards of Los Angeles). Eyes suddenly as wide as saucers, Sarah came to a sliding stop, claws seeking purchase on a paved driveway before hitting soft turf at the edge and nearly going tail-over-snout.

*Dammit, you're in my head. I hate that.* Sarah was never any good at "sending" mental words, and vocalized with them... which came out as one of the most convoluted sets of grunts, growls and whistles ever to emerge from a wolf.

She sighed a wolfish sigh, then looked around. *Had a bad moment. Werewolf stuff. I'll head back.* Tail tucked firmly between her legs and head hung low, Sarah turned around and started padding her way back to the confusing, alien and deeply frustrating thing that people called a party.

As Lucien described the current status of his relationship with the redhead, Morgan simply nodded, plucking at the bottom edge of the borrowed sweater. There'd been a time when she'd wanted him for herself, but she could no longer remember precisely when that was, or what had happened to prevent it. The connections that had once seemed so clear to her were now little more than a tangled web with fraying threads, hopelessly knotted and twisted by careless hands. There had been another, too, she'd desired, but those delicate lines had been cut from the weave. That severing had been none too clean, she reflected, sliding another clove cigarette from its case and lighting it with the help of a nearby candle.

"I appreciate it, Hunt," she replied without missing a beat, smiling faintly through the wisps of scented smoke. "And, yeah. It is important, but what's more important right now is that I not think about it." The mercurial young woman nudged his shoulder and proceeded to lead him aimlessly through the throngs of people as they talked. She downed the remainder of her drink and poured another, sipping this one more slowly as the alcohol gently insulated her against any complex ideas or deep introspection. "Tell me all about what's been going on while I've been out."

It still puzzles me how werewolf stuff seems to get you so worked up. He thought as he listened to Morgan. Let them deal with their issues, their business is theirs alone. If we're to be a part of it, they'll invite us. We have a responsibility to respect their privacy.

"Not a lot really," He said, leading her off to the back porch. "Declan has a breakdown every few months then runs off into the mountains or something, Amber is still kicking puppies and scaring small children in her spare time, most of the Awakened have dropped off the radar and are keeping to themselves and Sarah still thinks she's a werewolf. Personally, for all my social skills I spend all my time studying and doing absolutely nothing exciting while those guys are running all over Creation and back again fighting bad guys and doing super natural stuff. You know they don't even invite me? Can you believe it?"

He casually shrugged as the Acanthus and Mastigos found a quiet spot away from the hustle of the party. "So, yeah, pretty much the usual."

He reached out and rubbed he arm near her shoulder. "Hey, if you need anything, a place to crash or something like that, you got it. Okay? I'm serious, I have the room and you're always welcome. It's nice to see another active Awakened in the area, we have to stick together."

About halfway back to the chaos and drama of partyland, a quick movement caught Sarah's eye, just as a familiar and enticing scent caught her keen nose.

*Hon, you might want to vacate my noggin for a minute. I'm gonna grab a juice box.*

It may have been furry, warm and not at all a cardboard rectangle, but the hapless squirrel she took down in a sudden leap amounted to much the same thing: not enough to really serve as a meal, but it took the edge off of her hunger and was empty in an instant.

Only after licking the last few drops carefully from muzzle and fur did the Dead-Wolf shift once more to its human seeming and jog, a bit calmer and a touch warmer, the rest of the way back to the party. She even managed to remember to pull a little tin out of her jacket pocket, plucking a small white bit from it and popping it in her mouth. "After all," she said to herself while crunching on the mint, "nobody likes blood-breath."

Oneca blinked several times at the rapid changes in the room, her head still spinning from the bit of knowledge she'd picked up from the swirly-faced de---guy named Jeremy, apparently. She muttered something that sounded caught between confusion and annoyance and Remy chuckled in relief.

"Well, to be fair, luv, you did say party. Not the world's fault if every weirdo and walking corpse shows up for the good time. C'mon," he stood and pulled the dark-haired beauty to her feet, "let's get out of here and back down to the music and throng of mostly strangers. Like Mr. Cash-and-a-banana-sling said, it's a party and you have a duty as a host to have fun."

His eyes spying the newest member of the strange-but-apparently-friendly crew, Remy bee-lined for Ariel with a wicked grin on his face. "Ariel, nice to meet you. Here." Ariel found Oneca being pushed into her personal space as Remy grinned, "Downstairs, both of you. At least one dance. I want to hear the collective libido groan of the frat boy population double in the house."

Oneca looked....like she was trying to look embarrassed. She leaned in a whispered to Ariel, "One dance, please. Otherwise he'll start shopping the whole party for another pretty girl. Last time I got auctioned off for twelve dances in a row." Her expression was pleading, but a smile was tugging at the corner of her lips.

With minty-fresh breath and determination to endure the rest of an evening of social confusion, Sarah stepped back into the house... just in time to see Ariel and Oneca come down the stairs. The old familiar envy rose again, but this time Sarah forced it down. Not bolting again. I'll talk with her when she has a minute. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.

Yeah, a cynical voice from the darkest places of her soul replied. And maybe you'll start breathing again. They're shutting you out, just like always.

With a slight growl, Sarah clamped down hard on her Beast. Tonight was not a night to give in to its angry voice. Instead, the vampire moved off to a mercifully empty chair, watching the crowd with the interested eyes of a predator.

Once upon a time, Ariel would have been flabbergasted by Remy and Oneca's request. She would have been reduced to blushing protestations of her orientation, and stammering apologies. If plied, she would have relented, but rather meekly gone alone with it and gotten little if anything out of it.

This time Ariel gave Remy a quizzical look, then looked at Oneca appraisingly. "Well, we can't have that," she said with a smile, and offered the crook of her arm, like a gentleman caller in the old South. "Shall we?"

As she and Oneca headed down to join the party, Ariel reflected to herself on what a difference it made to simply not fear. So many complications and stupid questions just ceased to exist. Straight or gay? It didn't matter. She wasn't going to have sex with Oneca, she was going to dance with her, maybe tease a roomful of guys. And hell, what if they DID have sex? Who cared? The point was: Live. Enjoy. Regret nothing.

Oneca and Ariel arrived downstairs and Ariel's eyes flirted with and challenged everyone...the jocks and fratboys, the cheerleaders, the lonely outsiders at the fringes, and Oneca herself.

She offered Oneca her hand, clearly intending to lead.

Morgan stiffened visibly as Lucien mentioned the Rahu, literally halting mid-stride while her brain tried to process the reality of someone saying his name, verifying his continued existence. It stung, and something of her conflicting emotions passed over her face, revealing for an instant the turmoil she felt. At least, she reflected, I'm not likely to run into him anytime soon. He's probably off on one of his wilderness excursions, or something, and even if not, he hates parties. Chin up. You're talking to the hottest guy in... a pretty big area. Enjoy it!

By the time her thoughts had caught up to her feet, she was already joining the Mastigos outside, leaning back against the porch railing and exhaling a silver plume of smoke that snaked away on the wind.

"Stick together, right," she agreed. "Yeah, we were never really a very well-organized group, I guess. And, y'know, thanks. For the offer, I mean. I may take you up on that, if your girlfriend won't have kittens." She grinned at him over the rim of her cup, a half-hearted, crooked expression that didn't seem the least bit out of place. It was an effort, at least, the young mage reasoned, and took another drink.

"Don't worry about her." Lucien said, reassuring the emerald eyed beauty he stood in front of. "I would expect a girlfriend of mine to understand that I have friends, who are women, and when they need my help I'll be there for them. Besides, she likes you and she understands a little bit better now about the bond we share."

He had to admit, that last part sounded a bit strange and although he lapsed for just the briefest of moments he managed to amend his phrase. "Being, Awakened and all."

Glad you made it back.

If Sarah's requiem were to last a thousand years, she'd never get used to someone talking inside her head. But for Lucien, she made allowances.

*Glad to be back, too....* The mental voice trailed off, and if Lucien had elected to peer through her eyes at that moment, he'd have seen her staring in near-disbelief at two dancers moving with emotion and freedom across the floor.

Oneca didn't really surprise the Dead-Wolf; Sarah simply didn't know her that well. But Ariel? Tight-laced, repressed Ariel? Out there on the floor without inhibition or a care in the world?

With effort, Sarah kept her jaw from hanging open.

Moss barely had time to acknowledge Ariel's request before she was swept off by Oneca and Remy, but then he had been feeling out of sorts today. Perhaps coming here had been a bad idea, but he hadn't had much chance to catch up with the others since that debacle with the hunters. He still felt embarrassed over the whole episode, both with his own performance and how badly they had cocked things up in general. Shaking his head he headed over to where August and Dec were left at the sofa.

"So anyone care to fill me in? I'm known as Moss by the way", he finishes, holding out a hand to August.

Oneca laughed and danced with Ariel, keeping things just this side of softcore and enjoying the flashes of pained/stunned frat-boy faces she caught as the two of them moved to the music pumping through the house. Ariel could tell two things about Oneca during the dance: 1) she knew how to dance with another girl, and 2) she was a bit of an exhibitionist. Some of the pyro's intensity and energy were a brittle burn-off of the tension from upstairs and some of it was the normal level of nihilistic uncare that she lived her life in.

Most of the crowd wouldn't have cared about the difference if they knew it. Two hot girls were dancing and almost making out in the family room of the party house, and that was enough to fulfill half their lifetime achievement lists right there. Remy watched the dance with appreciation and an eye to making sure the girls were left alone enough to continue dancing. He caught Sarah's eyes as she stared slackjawed and gave her a suave smirk.

A little ways away, Alex spotted the growing circle of watchers and managed to catch a glimpse of what was going on. "Looks like the drama's over for a little bit, at least." He'd introduced Swara to about a half-dozen people with the fast and vague introductions that told her she didn't need to try too hard to remember names and faces. They'd grabbed some food and had just headed back inside when the others had come downstairs. "You wanna dance again, or go play one of the games? I think someone brought over an Xbox, if you like video games."

"Yeah," she sighed, breathing the word out disconsolately. Damn it, this is not why you came here, Morgan. Enjoy yourself, for fuck's sake! He said he'd talk to you, so, cool, done deal. Settle up after.

"You know, Hunt," the raven-haired mage said thoughtfully. "That's very cool of you, and I appreciate it. I might even take you up on it. Right now, though?" Shaking her head, she dropped the remains of her cigarette on the ground and ground them into the lawn with her heel. "Right now, I don't want to talk about it. I'm here for a party, here to escape and unwind, and either you're going to show me one, or I'm going to find one on my own."

The glint in her green eyes was unmistakably mischievous, part jest and part challenge, as she tipped up her chin defiantly and awaited Lucien's response.

"Then your wish is granted my emerald eyed enchantress." He said, offering her a hand with his light hearted and overly dramatic reply. "Come, allow this humble servant of the Party Gods to indulge you in a dance followed by a night of thrills, laughs, and irresponsible behavior."

He took her hand and led her back inside to where everyone was dancing.

"Hey Moss." Dec tossed back the rest of his beer as the English werewolf came over, one arm comfortably around August's waist as she took Moss's hand. "August, this is Moss, a brother. Moss, this is my girl August."

The Rahu's silver eyes glinted as he directed a faint scowl in the direction of the door. "And yer guess is as good as mine when it comes to what the fuck's been goin' on." He waved a hand at the room. "I tried to introduce Noctis to Oneca, she freaked out because he looks funny to her eyes, we have a pow-wow that starts to go fubar, then Hunt turns up, tells us all off for lurking up here, and fucks off again. THEN Ariel comes in, wants to see us all tomorrow, Swara and all, then gets dragged off by Remy to dance with Oneca, which would interest the hell outta me if it didn't put me in danger of breachin' the Code." Owns-The-Night sighed, then shook his head and grinned. "Hell with it, man. I'm all for headin' downstairs and partyin'. I've tried to do my good deed for the night."

It didn't take long for the beat to catch Sarah again. And it didn't take much longer for her one-track mind to figure out a way to use it.

As she stood, she caught sight of Lucien coming back into the room, leading Morgan by the hand. A momentary surge of envy swept the vampire, but it was gone as fast as it came; Sarah knew the Lucien's eye would forever wander, and had to trust that at the end of the day, he'd still be there for his palid lover. With a quick grin and waggled eyebrows tossed in his direction, she cut deftly through the crowd and made her way to Oneca and Ariel just as the current track ended.

She tried for an easy look and easy smile, and came close to the mark. Aiming a thumb at her young Elodoth friend, she asked Oneca, "Mind if I steal her for a dance?"

"Hi, Moss," August said, taking the hand. She understood what 'brother' meant, and she relaxed more. He was unsettling the way Declan was, though not as attractive. Having met more then one werewolf, August was starting to see what was normal for them, and what was unique to Declan.

She listened to Declan and grinned. "Yeah, partying sounds like fun. I still have to really meet our hostess or that red-headed vampire. Or a lot of people, I suspect." She snuggled in closer to Declan; it was still early enough in their relationship that every touch was an electric thrill. "Let's go."

Ariel chuckled. "Why wasn't I this popular in college?" she asked rhetorically, and offered Sarah her arm.

"The next one's yours if you still want it," she said to Oneca, then looked around and grinned. "Not that you'll have any trouble finding company."

Even on the slower song, vitality seemed to be filling Ariel up and spilling out her pores. If the sea of frat boy muggles was black and white, she was in bright, vivid color by comparison. For a creature as sensitive to life force as Sarah, it was practically enough to get a contact high.

"So what's up? How've you been?" Ariel asks her fellow redhead-at-arms.

Dancing with Ariel, it turned out, was very very different from dancing with Lucien. The warlock was suave and precise; the werewolf, on the other hand, was so full of vibrant life that it seemed to beam from within her her at every possible vector.

"Still dead and kickin'," Sarah said with a grin. "Still fightin' the good fight, or trying to."

The beat was complex, and her dance partner was up to the complexity. Sarah managed to keep up, but didn't look nearly as good doing so; there was only so much that her upbringing could provide in compensation for her lack of genuine life.

"So this thing tomorrow. Things are a little sunny for me at four. Want me to turn up after dark?"

There. She'd said it. Either Ariel would invite her, or Sarah would learn that it was no mere miscommunication, but at least the Dead-Wolf would know.

Ahh, so that's what's eating you...

It was a trap question, of course. Sarah had very specific ideas about her relationship with a pack; she was either in, or out. The question was an attempt to cage Ariel into that paradigm.

She gave Sarah a smile. "You're right, it's sunny. Amber's job kicks in right about the same time you wake up unfortunately. I also think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of the get-together. It's not a pack meeting because right now there is no pack. Now, I intend to change that. We've all been dancing around the issue like a bachelor around a wedding date, but that ends tomorrow. As part of that, we're going to discuss a number of things. One of those things, a very important one, will be you."

She slowed down and laid her arms over Sarah's shoulders, meeting the vampire's gaze squarely. "Deciding your standing with us is something I want everyone to have a say in, so I can't just tell you right now what's going to happen. I can tell you that I'm very impressed by you and your dedication. I can tell you that I plan to speak on your behalf."

With that, Ariel gets a thoughtful look. "But I think you should have a chance to speak on your own behalf too. Yeah, why don't you swing by Declan's place as soon as you can. I'll have Amber call in a little late."

Ariel nodded and gave Sarah's shoulders a squeeze. "When should we expect you?"

A chance. A hope. There was still a possibility, Sarah realized with surprise, slender though it may be, and that was more than she'd had for months on end.

"If Dec lets me go to ground in his backyard, I can be there at a quarter to five. If not, about ten minutes later. Thank Luna for short days this time of year." She swallowed hard, realizing just how much Ariel was putting on the line. "And thank you. This is more hope than I've had since" - since I failed the Topanga's last test - "well, for quite a while." The smile that came to her cold lips wasn't forced.

She looked around after a moment, realizing that they were out of synch with the music and the crowd. Something faintly resembling a blush came to her pale cheeks, and she said, "Um... we, uh, should get back to the dancing thing. Or let Oneca take over. Or something."

Jeremy walked back in, feeling tired and frustrated. Watching the groups dance annoyed in an odd way. Maybe it was that memory of them deciding to head for Mordor that bugged him.

Maybe it was the way Hunt had chided him. He sighed and watched somberly. Somehow, he could get in the mood tonight. Arcadia was ten times more dangerous and secure than Morder had ever been.

So his face twisted into a slight scowl in front of Hunt at one point. He forced it into a smile. Should he just go?

A dry chuckle escaped the Dead-Wolf's lips as she also tried to regain the beat.

"Well, there was a helluva mess when we took on a bunch of hunters. That one got damned hairy. And Swara's been getting up to speed with Amber. That's about it for the group stuff."

She thought to stop there, but after a moment of hesitation added, "And looks like I'm done with the Topangas. Failed the last test. I'll explain tomorrow night."

"Hey, I think that guy's giving you dirty looks, Hunt." Morgan leaned in and whispered in his ear as they danced inappropriately. She had a knack for making something like whispering in someone's ear seem illegal.

"I know." Lucien said as he returned a momentary glance at Jeremy. "No idea who he is, but he knows Declan and the rest." Lucien's polite grin shown in Jeremy's direction. "Think maybe he has a crush on me?"

The party was in full swing all around her but the lovely country girl had found herself someplace to hide away from all the socializing. Well, sort of, what she found was that Alex and his friend Kevin were pretty good at talking a lot and hiding her from potential drunk frat boys wanting to spirit her away for a 'dance'.

"I have no idea!" She said in response to an unheard question. "These guys are so loud! How can you dance to this? And where do they come up with these names?"

Alex laughed slightly, this was so 'out of town' it almost hurt his sweet tooth. "I think we can make a few concessions, got anything in mind?"

"Taylor Swift?" She asked.

"We probably don't have that one." Alex tried to look sympathetic.

"Kenny Chesney?"

"Can't say I've seen that one, either." He tipped his drink back to stifle a laugh. He and Kevin were not being mean, but it was hard not find some humor in the situation.

"Any Miley Cyrus?" Her options were getting worn down swiftly, but she persevered. Country music was as much of an age old tradition as apple pie and that game where every one chews tobacco and rubs each others butt.

Kevin looked at her curiously. "The Hannah Montana girl?"

"Yeah!" She agreed excitedly. Finally some progress. The first step was finding common ground.

"No." Kevin said, flatly with a hint of playfulness. "Sorry, I'm a fan of all kinda of stuff, but I have to draw a line in the sand somewhere."

"Well, crap." Despite her set backs, she was still having a lot of fun. These two guys were very fun to talk to and had all kinds of things to talk about. Mostly she listened, hardly able to keep up them once they got going on about something but just watching them, how passionate they seemed about every topic seemed to kindle something in the pit of her stomach. We wasn't sure what it was, but recognized the feeling and pushed it back with every opportunity she had.

She didn't want that life, she wanted the one she had, dumb blonde or no, this one was far better than being a raving lunatic and a murderer.

"S'cuse me guys, I'm going to step out for a second. The smoke's starting to kill my eyes." It was half of a truth as she smiled a dazzling smile to them and made her way to the front door. Whatever was in the pit of her stomach seemed to churn more and more as her time around others increased. Perhaps she just needed some fresh air and an opportunity to collect her thoughts... few as they may be.

Jeremy sighed and proceeded over to Hunt. "Before I go, it's been a pleasure to meet you Hunt, and brush up on Mordor before you spout statements like that. Then throw Mordor out the window. G'night."

He shook his head at the man's foolishness and began to walk to the door.

Jeremy turned back, as he realized he was making an ass of himself. He sighed and shook his head. "Sorry," as he returned to see Hunt. "This whole business upstairs has gotten out of control. I do think we've met in a chat though. Jeremy Noctis, friend of Sarah and co."

He extended an apologetic hand to the underwear model.

Archived