World of Darkness: Attrition - Resurfacing

z021

November 14th, 2009

Oneca felt like she was drowning. Inch by inch, day by day.

The criminal trial had ended months ago. The public one was still being waged in the newspapers, at Peter's house, and on local morning talk shows. Of course, most of them weren't accusing him of murder anymore. They were just as happy to indict him for being gay, a thief or swindler (depending on the day and the weather), a pedophile, a polygamist, foreign, and male. There were three rocks thrown through windows in the first week alone after the trial, which thankfully meant the police legally had to do something about the picket line. Then the death threats started. First on the phone, but that's only because the post took longer to get to him. There was the man that actually spit on him a Starbucks, and the woman that tried to sue him for whiplash (forensic experts hired by his lawyer was able to prove that she'd had the car in reverse when the collision occurred).

Then the break-ins started. Peter had weathered everything else with a sort of world-weary patience, but the second would-be arsonist actually made it to the stairwell of the Chantry before Ellie felt his presence and woke the others up. The attempts to burn the rambling mini-mansion down was a joke, but the increased scrutiny on the house coupled with its bevy of unusual inhabitants and visitors not only made everyone else jumpy but finally triggered Peter's protective instincts. That there were several residents with....complicated....identities or relationships with the legal community just made it that much worse.

The rescued runaways and non-people (so far as the US government was concerned, at least) were relocated first. Peter purchased several houses in the city, as well as two large swaths of undeveloped land a fair drive away from the metropolis. His finances were stretching, but he was able to keep those dependent on him fed and clothed and sheltered for now. Remy and Oneca pitched in as they could, everyone did.

Still, it felt like a losing battle. Peter's house, and the chantry beneath it, had been home. The Dark Flame was sputtering in the wind and everyone feared being left alone in the gloom. Everything else in life had been put on hold. Oneca's grades were barely enough to keep her parents paying for school, Remy had left most of his operation in the hands of mostly trusted outsiders, and no research or experiments had been done by Flame members in weeks.

And now Peter was leaving.

It wasn't for good, but she couldn't help feeling like it was. He thought that if he dropped completely out of the public eye for a while then things would settle down for everyone else. "Just like a sabbatical," he'd said. He'd travel for a while, seeing what he could see and perhaps picking up new members for this odd assortment of family that had come to be over the years. He hadn't asked Remy to go with him, but not asking and not wanting were very different beasts.

Remy for his part wanted to go with him and wanted to stay in LA and keep working on getting rid of Saja, or at least getting her to leave Oneca alone. They hadn't had trouble from her at all since she started an internship at a pediatric ward; then again any time Oneca wasn't home for more than a night she started feeling faint and having chest pains. Control didn't always have to be direct. Peter solved the dilemma by booking a red-eye flight for Japan and leaving a note for Remy and Oneca to take care of each other until he made it back, souvenirs to follow shortly.

By agreement they'd taken a week off from each other and then see where they were at. Remy was defacto running a chantry now spread out over most of LA and some of the countryside and needed time to arrange his own affairs while he took up that duty; Oneca needed to give her studies a passing glance and make an appearance at home for Saja. They both needed distance from the turmoil of the last several months.

It was day three of her 'vacation', homework was caught up as much as it could be, the house was empty, and Oneca felt cold. Cold and alone.

Never one to give up completely, she pulled out her phone and sent a blast text to everyone on it. There was a lesson that Oneca's mother had taught her very well: 'When in doubt, throw a party.'

Click to reveal.. (Text Message and OOC Info)

Text Message -

To: Everyone

Feeling lonely, need a break, house is empty. PARTY! BYOB, food provided. Bring music if you don't like mine. Starting now, ending when people leave. Pass it along to people I'll like.

{{OOC Info: I know some characters don't have phones, but this is an open fic for anyone that would like to show up. Just assume that word got around about Oneca's party, especially around the campus and anyone with student contacts. She's known for throwing fun parties and doesn't live that far from the campus. This is another chance for characters to meet, storylines to be set up, and general mix-ups and whatnot to occur. I'll have some chantry members passing through, so if anyone wants specific members to show up just let me know. For mods: if you wanna muck around in this fic for various and sundry, just let me know if you want set up from me. =) }}

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't too long after dark when a low, sleek figure made its way through backyard alleys and behind shrublines toward the house. Only after a few long minutes, waiting in the shadow of a massive oak and watching to be sure nobody else was around, did the wolf shift and change and once more take on the form that most knew to be Sarah O'Neally.

Parties weren't her usual thing by any stretch of the imagination. By and large, Sarah was much more comfortable in some quiet woods in the company of fellow shape-shifters than she was in the unfamiliar surroundings of dancing throngs and blaring music. But over a month had gone by since washing out of the final test laid out by the Topanga Pack, and in that month the Dead Wolf had found herself without a clear direction for the first time in years. On occasion she would visit with Declan and the two would talk shop, and there were the moments of mutual passion spent with Lucian, but overall Sarah was between sixes and sevens with her unlife.

When she'd unexpectedly received the text invitation from Oneca - someone she barely knew - her first impulse was to delete it and head out on another patrol of her territory. But before she could do so, a strange feeling began to creep up from her dead heart. It took a moment to recognize it, but after a moment Sarah realized that she wanted company. Maybe, just maybe, this could be a good thing.

So it was that the vampire finally set her booted feet into motion from the shadows, stalking up the sidewalk and pressing a cold finger on the equally cold doorbell.

There was music already going in the house, Evanescence at the moment, and Sarah could smell a dozen or so heartbeats fluttering inside. Oneca opened the door, her first expression one of confusion until she finally placed the face in front of her.

"Um, Sarah, right? I think we met really briefly at the opening football party last year." She smiled and it even reached her eyes; she seemed amused at their antics at the party. She stepped aside and waved the red-head in. "C'mon in, the party's still in the warm-up phase, but I've got snacks and some real food laid out in the dining room, music and dance space in the family room, and I think someone's started up some games in the living room."

The house was laid out in a circular pattern, with a large curving staircase leading up to the second floor. The living room was off the right of the front hall and had a french door walk-through to the dining room behind it. The kitchen occupied the back of the house and was large enough for several ovens, a walk-in pantry, and two large fridges. Back up towards the front of the house and to the right of the front hall was a huge family room currently occupied by most of the party-goers as the Evanescence switched over to Abney Park's All The Myths Are True.

Sarah summoned up a fair imitation of a smile in response to the vibrant girl, just then remembering to push a bit of blood out to the surface of her skin; she gained just a touch of colour and a bit of stolen warmth. "Thanks; been a while since then." Elaboration seemed unwise, given the additional company present. With a polite nod, Sarah eased into the house and the edges of the crowd.

"So, who's this Oneca?" August asked as she steered them through the Santa Monica evening traffic. Next to her Dec was fidgeting, fiddling with the collar of his shirt before growling something under his breath and unfastening another button. August tried not to laugh, but her werewolf lover caught the glance and the smile that curved the lips under her blue-green eyes. He smiled in return, taking a breath and relaxing.

"She's a friend." Dec shrugged, his nonchalant gesture somewhat ruined by his stiff shoulders. August's eyes narrowed.

"A friend, or a... friend." she enquired. Dec smiled wryly.

"The second one." Dec admitted. "She's human, but with, uh, power. Like you, only she doesn't see ghosts." August regarded him for a moment as they stopped at a light.

"So why are you so edgy?" she pushed lightly. "Did you have a thing with her? Because if this is going to be awkward..."

"No. Nothin' like that." Dec chuckled, his tension evaporating slightly. "It's just that at least some of my pack'll probably be putting in appearances too. They know her, and so do some other supernaturals in the area. I want you to meet them, it's just that I'm a little jittery about how you'll get on." Silver eyes met hers and he smiled reassuringly. "It's not gonna be dangerous, mind. It's just that, well, pack is the same thing as family. It ain't just a group of buddies. Aw, shit, you'll be okay. Just be you. Ignore my gripin'." He rested a hand on her shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze, then gestured at the road ahead. "You'll need to take the next right, then we're pretty much there."

August pulled up outside Oneca's place and the two of them got out, Dec carrying a bag that clinked. Lights and music lay ahead, and Dec put an arm around August's shoulders as the two of them walked up to the front door. Giving Dec one last glance, taking some comfort in his presence, August pressed the bell.

Oneca opened the door again and grinned at her two new guests. "Just a sec." She leaned up on the door and fiddled with one of the hinges, then let go; the door swung slightly inward, but stayed mostly open. "There we go. Looks like people are starting to really arrive."

She gave the two newcomers more of her attention, smiling at Dec and not missing the arm around the mystery woman. "Hey Declan, good to see you could make it." She held a hand out to his date, "I'm Oneca."

The glossy black Lamborghini turned a corner swiftly, a slight chirp from the tires as the gas was applied a bit early. The lights of the city reflected off it's surface like they painted it with a natural camouflage while the swift metallic predator prowled the L.A. streets in search of a party.

With a casual calm reflected in his eyes the car's driver, Lucien Hunt, easily guided the speed machine through the busy L.A. traffic. With a mental image, a topography of the city streets and the distances of all the vehicles around him he quickly assessed all variable and calculated the math to know whether or not his vehicle could, within reason, maneuver safely through traffic at speeds that were not technically safe. Knowing where the police were was just a bonus.

With his goal being to get somewhere in a hurry and not harm those around him he applied the brake softly when his math came up short on a couple of trucks occupying both lanes ahead of him. Patiently he slowed and followed them.

"I'm not sure this is a good idea." A worried but angelic voice broke the silence within the Gallardo's cockpit.

He didn't take his eyes off the road but smiled warmly in hopes his companion would see it. "Everything will be fine. Just try and relax, okay?"

The five hundred fifty horse power beast pulled up outside the house and purred one last time before it's master put it to sleep. The two walked up to the home and his 'date's' apprehension rose to the surface once more...

"It's just, Lucien, I'm not supposed to be going to parties and things like that." The young blonde played with her polished finger nails nervously. "Amber still has me on house arrest, or whatever."

Stoppping, Lucien looked at her with a consoling glare. "You can't stay cooped up forever Swara-Ann. Look, meeting people and shaking off your fear of crowds is the first step towards recovering. Besides, Amber doesn't go to these things, your chances of running into her are slim, very slim. So if you don't tell her I won't."

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this." Hesitantly she followed beside him.

He knocked and rang the doorbell while she patiently waited along side him nervously looking about from her view of the porch, half afraid that her warden might spring the bushes to drag her off by ear.

"Door's open, c'mon in!" was shouted over the music from somewhere inside; Lucien recognized the voice as Oneca's. The house was still not quite full of milling people; the music wasn't too loud but loud enough to be heard through most of the first floor and most people seemed to be still on soda and beers. Obviously, things were under full swing yet.

Oneca extricated herself from an impromptu penny poker game she'd been drug into in the living room after getting Declan and his date settled in. She smiled widely when she spotted Lucien and gave Swara a once over. She thought she might have recognized the girl, but no name came to mind. Just a vague feeling that she'd probably seen her around the campus at some point. "Glad you could make it, Lucien!"

She smiled warmly at Swara, "Sorry, I think I should know your name, but I can't remember it right now. I'm Oneca."

Reminding himself he was spoken for was an exercise in willpower, even for the Mastigos. Oneca possessed a certain exotic charisma and he could help but let his eyes wander to the bad girl swagger to her stride. He smiled at his host and pulled his hands from his tan khaki pockets in time to meet her with a polite hug.

"Glad you could have me." He grinned, knowing she'd catch the joke.

"Um, Swara-Ann," she managed a nervous smile while she extended a hand that was clearly stiff as a board from how wound up the poor girl was. "I, uh, think I've seen you around campus few times. Nice to meet you."

Her smile was sincere and polite enough even though it was obvious she was a bit uncomfortable.

After some long busywork, Jeremy had figured the party Declan had invited him to come to was the perfect balm for that sore. So he'd set out for the address he'd been given. But like happened to many people, he needed an update on reaching the locale in question. Eventually, he made it to the front door, and rang the doorbell.

From the edge of the crowd, Sarah had been keeping one eye on the front door. Declan's arrival have been a distinct relief - if nothing else, she knew she'd have someone with whom she could talk. The girl he'd brought to the locus - Autumn, I thing - was on his arm; while that was a slight complication, Sarah knew that she was enough in the know to not be a real issue.

Then Lucien stepped in, and Sarah's world went a little lopsided. There was something about him that captured her unbeating heart, and it was something other than his addictive blood. This is gonna be a good party after... - and then she saw the newbie werewolf, Swara-Ann, on his arm.

...fuck. The vampire's eyes went from full of wonder to full of red. What in hell was that empty-headed mess doing with him?!?

Well, it could be because you didn't bother to call him and see if he wanted to go with you to this party. Her rage simmered down a few notches; Lucien was a far, far more social creature than the Dead-Wolf, who was still struggling to figure out how on earth human dynamics worked.

As much as she could manage, Sarah buried the anger and tried for something resembling a happy smile in her boyfriend's direction. Anyway, she thought whilst trying to maintain a happy appearance, nothing says that Swara won't be taking a taxi home.

A chorus of "the door is OPEN!" rang out from inside in varying degrees of amusement and exasperation. The large house seemed to be filling up quickly once the sun set; Disturbed's Indestrutable blaring from the family room as people spilled out now into the kitchen and onto the back porch. A small curl of smoke peeked out from behind the roof and the smell of mesquite wood wafted through the house as the grill got going.

There was no banality here at the moment, no drudgery of routine; really very little order of any kind. It wasn't a frat-house riot -yet- but there was definitely an almost desperate air of letting your hair down and getting at least a little smashed before the night was over. Give that finals were starting next week, it wasn't surprising at a party where most of the celebrants had only recently gotten societal permission to get shitfaced as often as they wanted. At least as long as they didn't caught driving afterwards. People he didn't know waved at him as he made his way inside and at some point a cup was handed off to him without so much as a please, thank you, or description of what was in it. It was dark colored, smelled of rum, and fizzed as he walked.

Declan was found dancing in the family room with a dark-haired woman Jeremy didn't recognize. A couple other people he might or might not have known were mingling about in the human herd: eating, drinking, stalking, and otherwise trying to blend in without spooking the sheep. The music and alcohol helped a lot with that.

Jeremy considered trying out the rum, or whatever it was, but he decided not. He left the cup on a small table stand before taking out from a pocket a small hip flask of beer.

Downing it with pleasure, he turned and moved to a reasonable distance close to Dec and the woman, watching them with an smiling look, politely not wanting to interrupt their dancing.

He was in heaven, in some sense. He'd spent weeks with his nose in books and his face buried in stacks of papers and the constant clacking of keys being replayed in his mind. To finally get out and have a little fun and socializing was more than the young mage could ask for.

Content to leave his company alone for a bit (she needed to spread her wings and learn to mingle) it wasn't long before he was walking through the crowd with the famed 'red cup' nodding and greeting passers by with assorted handshakes, high-fives, hugs, and in one instance a kiss from a girl he could have sworn he'd never met before (but wouldn't have minded getting to know her, she was a good kisser).

Casually he approached Sarah, a crooked imprint of lipstick across his mouth. "Didn't think I'd find you here." He said, although he wasn't mad, he was slightly frustrated. He could blame Sarah too much, she did have social and humanity issues, so he tried to be as understanding as possible. "You could've called or something, you know. I like parties too." He smiled at her, trying to slip in a slight joke to help sandwich the negative with a positive.

"Hi, Oneca," August said, taking her hand and wondering what she was. "I'm August."

August focused on trying to remember names. She was nervous about meeting Declan's pack, since it sounded like they were family. It was always rough meeting the 'in-laws' for the first time. All of the traditional fears were there - what if they don't like me or I say something wrong? along with the unusual circumstances of their relationship. It was one thing to meet his family, and another to meet his family who were all a bunch of werewolves.

They got drinks and danced a bit, though, and August started to calm down. This was a party just like any other party she'd attended, and so long as giant rats or angry spider-spirits didn't show up, she was on comfortable ground.

Except for the guy watching them. "Dec," she whispered in his ear, "who is the guy watching us?"

Sarah grinned up at the Mastigos, just barely revealing the tiniest hint of fang in the process. "Yeah, I know; Sarah the Party Animal forgetting to invite her boyfriend. Who'da thunk it?" The line was followed by a quick wink.

She took his hand in her own - warm, for once - and pulled him close. "In all seriousness, sorry hon. I'm not good at this social stuff. Shoulda called you."

The music carried a heavy baseline that demanded body motion to go with it. While utterly deficient in most other social ways, Sarah did have one advantage: being raised by what amounts to a tribal culture did instill in her a definite and well-developed ability to dance. Pulling the mage's body against her own, she began introducing him to just how very well she understood the Tao of the Beat.

Everyone seemed to be having so much fun. The music was loud and the mood was one that immediately told anyone entering the door to leave their troubles right at the threshold, at least for a few hours.

She tried. She really did, but the more she everyone having a great time the more she worried that any moment Amber would kick the door down, devour Oneca, break Lucien's spine over her knee and drag her ward back to hell for an eternity of torture.

Truth be told, Amber wasn't really that bad, but she was scary, like she could intimidate the Devil out of the golden fiddle simply because she didn't feel like playing that day. It didn't help that Swara-Ann pushed her buttons from time to time...

With her hands in her pockets she blended into the wall space and observed. She knew Oneca (now) and Lucien, and she even vaguely remembered trying to devour Sarah at one point, but she didn't think it added to measure of friendship. She watched the couple dance, Sarah and Lucien, and smiled a bit. They were cute together but as different as oil and vinegar, even she could tell that. She took note of a few of the ladies who obviously considered themselves 'better' than Sarah fume silently over her being where they thought the 'deserved' to be.

Drama, drama, drama... she thought until she suddenly found a rather large guy in her face with breath that announed he'd been knockin' em back long before he arrived Oneca's.

"S'up!" He shouted over the music, trying to keep himself in her field of vision as she kept trying to look past him. "Ain't seen you around, you here with 'Pretty Boy Hunt'?"

"No," she replied, trying to stay out of firing range of his breath. "I mean, he gave me a ride and all, but you know we're not here, here together."

"Awesome. Yeah..." He nodded cluelessly. "Cool."

"Yep." Her eyes went wide and smiled as she looked around wondering what else he could want besides poisoning her air. "Cool. Cool indeed..."

"Hey, you wanna burger?" He pointed to the grill, nearly clothes lining someone with the sudden swing of his arm yet he still managed to not turn his head anywhere away from where she could get a fresh breath. "We got burgers."

"Oh, no." She politely waved her hands, declinging his offer. "No burgers for me, thanks though. I'ma... sort of recovering from a really bad eating disorder."

"Cool." He nodded again with the blank stare, tipping his red cup back to finish it's contents. "Yeah, buddy o' mine has an ex who had a really bad eating problem, I understand completely... yeah..."

She managed a smile, it was laced with 'why me, why do they always find me, go away please' but she was certain he was too drunk to pick up on it. "No, no, you really don't. Trust me."

She sighed inwardly, just her luck that she would endeavor to be invisible among this mad house of people and some moron with beer goggles and 'boob-dar' would spot her from across the room. This is so not worth the ass-kicking I'm going to get later...

"Would you like to dance?"

The came from behind her and was almost hard to hear over the din of the music and the people, but it was sober and polite so it was starting to stick out amongst the frat-boys and wish-we-were-frat-boys that had sniffed out the party once word got around. The voice was attached to slender young man about an inch shorter than Swara that she was pretty sure she could lift one-handed, werewolf or not, but he smiled instead of leering and seemed genuinely interested in whether she was interested.

"Piss off, ya fairy," was the eloquent reply of her current companion. "I seen you hanging 'round that other fag, the one with the drugs. Baby, you don't want nothing to do wit'...*burp*...wit' a guy like him. Might be contagious or somethin'."

The blond man rolled his eyes. "Hey Jon, there's still some Jack left in the back and you haven't passed out yet. Feel like doing us all a favor and getting the though the puking stage of your alcoholism before we're trying to eat?"

Jon's face got confused, then red with either anger or embarrassment. "Why you little shit." He pulled back an arm and made an attempt at a punch, but remember at the last moment that he didn't want to spill his drink and instead lurched forward like a beached whale in a one-whale parody of the tango. The blond stepped out of the way and watched the wreck of a co-ed stumble into several other party-goers. A small spat ensued that was ended by aiming Jon in the direction of the kitchen with promise of "drunken hawt babes" to oogle, so long as it was anywhere away from them.

"Um, sorry about that. You seemed....well, it didn't look like you were enjoying yourself." He smiled bashfully. "My name's Alex. Um, would you like to dance?"

Originally Posted By: August Turner

They got drinks and danced a bit, though, and August started to calm down. This was a party just like any other party she'd attended, and so long as giant rats or angry spider-spirits didn't show up, she was on comfortable ground.

Except for the guy watching them. "Dec," she whispered in his ear, "who is the guy watching us?"

He'd been enjoying the dancing and not really paying attention to anything except various armfulls of August as they moved together, so when she whispered that in his ear, the look in Owns-The-Night's eye as he turned towards Jeremy was, to say the least, mildly pugnacious. The menacing glint faded when he recognised the watcher.

"His name's Jeremy, and we've worked together. His 'day job' is as a barman at the Amphora. He's special, but not fuzzy." Dec murmured back into August's ear. With a further glance around, realised that certain others of the 'gang' had arrived. Swara's here, so Amber's gotta be around somewhere. Weird that I didn't feel her Wolf, though... There's Hunt and Sarah... I'll swing by and introduce August in a sec... He steered himself and August out of the small crowd of dancers, emerging beside Jeremy.

"Hey Jerry." The large Rahu said by way of greeting. "August, this here's Jeremy, best bartender at the Amphora. Jeremy, this here's August. She's in T.V." It was pretty much classic Dec, as conversation-starters went. He glanced around again casually as he spoke, wondering who else was here. He would make a deeper introduction to Oneca later: he was pretty sure her 'Chantry' would be able to help August out with the whole ghost-seeing thing. Having people around who were similar to you was important, the werewolf knew. For one thing, you didn't feel like a freak.

Hunt and Sarah were dancing, so he'd wait a bit to talk to them and catch up. Swara was looking harassed for a moment by the drunkard, then was rescued by the skinny blond kid. Owns-The-Night smiled at that. Heh, nice deflection. He'd collar her later for a chat too... he looked around. Where was Amber? Don't tell me she's dragged a college boy upstairs already. That'd be fast even for her.

Jeremy extended a hand to August. "Sorry about the watching, but you two seemed rather happy, and I couldn't just interrupt." He then exhaled a sigh of relief and turned to Dec. "Wild blowouts aren't my type of party, but community politics" -stressing the word in a manner that indicated the Changeling one to Declan- "is an eyesore at times. So I jumped at your invitation."

Originally Posted By: Oneca
"Um, sorry about that. You seemed....well, it didn't look like you were enjoying yourself." He smiled bashfully. "My name's Alex. Um, would you like to dance?"

She found herself blushing slightly. Despite his size and obvious frailty we has polite, brave confident and that impressed the shy young blonde somewhat. Now that he had asked she saw no reason to decline his offer. "Uh, yeah," She nodded her head as she smiled still a bit confused and awe struck at the last few moments. "Yeah, sounds good. I'm warning you though, I'm terrible at it..."

Lightening up a bit she allowed her rescuer to lead her through the crowd. She leaned in over his shoulder as they moved past people en route to the adopted 'dance floor'. "I'm Swara-Ann by the way, it's nice to meet you."

Sarah and Lucien may have been alone for the world could have cared. It was a party and they were together, what more was there? Letting lyrics bleed from their minds they let their attention focus solely on the beat of the music as it blared and thumped through the large home.

Left to their own devices they continued to let the flow of the beat take them where it willed.

Click to reveal..
Lucien and Sarah are just dancing for the moment, enjoying the music. smile

"Yeah, well it was a general invitation. They're lettin' anyone in." Dec grinned at Jeremy. "Even The Lucien Hunt over there with Sarah." He jerked his head towards the couple still on the dance floor. "Relax, Jer. You'd think a bartender would know what to do at a party." He smiled at that.

"Mind ya, this isn't my usual scene either. But Oneca's a friend, and kind of a fringe community member." Dec stressed the word community in the same way Jeremy had, and winked. "Just don't make her angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry."

Jeremy's eyes narrowed at the use of the word 'fringe'. If this host Oneca wasn't a changeling, then what... Then a memory flashed back to him. "That reminds me. A bit back, I promised Adrian and Moss that I'd help a friend of theirs, who, was described as having problems that might involve my special knowledge or something. Just wondering, but would this be Oneca"

The was a small cheer from the front of the house as a group laden with hot dogs, chips, and other food-like items made their entrance. They seemed to already have friends at the party, and those that knew who Remy was could spot him fending off a few eager looking party-goers with a demurred, "Not tonight, guys. I'm off the clock."

Those that cared to watch a little longer could also spot the awkward greeting between said drug-dealer and sometimes psychic and the hostess of evening; there was a wound there, something not being spoken of and forming miniature pink elephants to stalk the two of them throughout the evening. They hugged and said nothing and the party moved on.

Alex, who was attempting to dance with Swara and despite heroic effort was mostly managing to sway in place and not stare at her chest, grinned when he spotted the newcomers. "Would you like to grab some food once this song is over? Some of friends just got here, and Kevin always brings this awesome bean dip and homemade chips when he goes to parties. He's vegan, so it gives him something to eat, but it's really amazing."

"Got it in one." Dec nodded at Jeremy, then looking around spotted their hostess greeting Remy. He dropped his voice a notch, leaning so that August and Jeremy both could hear him. "That's her over there. Dude's name is Remy: he's clued up on the situation too. Both of them know me, and I could give ya an introduction." He looked at August. "You too, if you want?" He smiled, silver eyes crinkling slightly. "They're okay people, and they know a lot about weird shit. They've got a network going for regular people who've brushed up against the Real World, if you catch my drift."

She was right, she couldn't dance. The corn fed country white girl had about as much rhythm as an epileptic sloth. Thankfully she was a good looking girl with healthy... lungs, which basically meant in guy-lingo that no matter how bad she danced she still looked fine.

It's not like she the blonde had gone out of her way to attract people to her tonight. Her straight blonde hair was worn down, sneakers and jeans made up her ensemble, although the jeans were just tight enough to turn a few heads. Her pink tee shirt rather ordinary, the neck line coming to a vee that certainly didn't show off anymore than would be considered acceptable. But she was athletic, attractive, and giving the friendly Alex all her attention... and that was fine with him.

"Um, sure, yeah. I eat beans." The words kinda came out before she thought about what she was saying. 'I eat beans?' Stupid, stupid... I should have stayed home. "Vegan? Sounds European." She chuckled. "We had guys back home who made their own food a lot too, they were Amish. Made really sturdy furniture too." With no idea what a vegan was, being from a farm town of meat and corn eaters, she hoped that contributed something to the conversation.

They made their way to Kevin. Her gaze passed by Jeremy, Declan and August on their way for some food and when her eyes met Declan's and the world slowed to a crawl. The music became sluggish background noise and the people all just seemed to move at a languid pace. She felt something. Her blue-white eyes met casually with Declan's silver orbs and there was a reaction. There was something about that man that made Swara-Ann feel uneasy. An instinct in the back of her mind cried out a warning but they were away from the trio before she had time to act upon it.

Distracted and mildly nauseous she seemed relieved to be out of the silver eyed man's sight. She oriented herself just in time to smile at Kevin and realize that Alex was introducing her.

"Eh." Jeremy took a look at the hostess and her friend for a moment, but discerned nothing out of the ordinary. "Hmm, ok." he whispered to Dec.

Then his stomach growled complicating the situation. "Damn. Do either of you mind if I escort August for some food? We'll pick up something for you as well Dec, while you scope them out." he queried.

Moss pulled the borowed motorbike up beside Lucien's car, the maneuvered it up to the side of the house. Sounds of the party spilled out of the open front door and indeed every window as well. Removing his crash helmet Moss smiled at the noise as he quickly locked the bike.

Helmet in hand he entered the house through the wall of sound and stepping to oneside scanned the room. He quickly spotted Oneca, Remy and several other he knew from the chantry and few could miss Lucien and Sarah on the dance floor. Seeing Jeremy with an unknown woman heading towards food and Dec heading towards Oneca he decided to join Dec at the parties host.

Even the most socially oblivious person in the world could eventually realize that the dance needed to end... and as that person was Sarah, said realization wasn't without a bit of anger at herself for not realizing it sooner.

"Hon," she said after the latest song ground to a halt, "probably best if we try that mingling shit. There's gotta be a few dozen folks here that wanna talk with you." She tried really, really hard not to think about what else they'd want - and perhaps get - to do with Lucien Hunt. "And I need to ask our hostess if it's OK if I, um..." - she glanced around at the large crowd that was already starting to get well into its cups - "...get myself a snack."

Ariel parked at the side of the road, right where it started to curve up the gentle slope leading up around the side of Declan's house. There was a tree there with scratches in the bark, and while she knew she had pretty much blanket permission, she decided to wait at the tree for notice out of a sense of irony about how long she'd been gone, and as a way of calling attention to that which had changed about her.

She was tanner, for one thing. Still not brown or even 'tan,' as her skin tended to freckle or burn, with not much in between...but also far from the mostly pale shade it had been before. She was also quite a bit leaner. Not skinny by any means, but lean. A thousand smaller things were subtly different too...her hair was down and blowing free around her cheeks rather than pulled into a ponytail. She never stuffed her hands in her jacket pockets anymore. They were always out now and ready. And while only another werewolf might appreciate the difference, that sense of muted ferocity around her had strengthened. She watched and breathed and moved more like a predator now.

Declan wasn't home, she realized after a moment passed. He'd have heard her or smelled her and come to investigate. With a sigh, hoping he hadn't flown the coop again, Ariel plucked her new cellphone out of the little leather case on her belt and dialed Amber's number from memory.

Welcome home, she thought with a wry grin as she got back into her car and waited for Amber to pick up.

It didn't take long. "Yeah?"

Ariel couldn't help but grin at her friend's voice. A little dour, a little suspicious...she wouldn't recognize the cell number calling, of course. "Amber! It's Ariel! I finally made it back...where are you?"

"Awesome. Glad to hear from you. I'm at work."

Work, Ariel thought with a little wince. Right. Working for vampires. That hadn't bothered her as much before as it did now, for some reason. "Alright, well, maybe we can hook up tomorrow sometime then. You know where Declan is? He's not home...he didn't go for another sabbatical did he?"

"Nah, he found some tail," was Amber's nonchalant reply. "They're at a party. I got an invite, but work is a bitch."

Ariel laughed, "So to speak. Okay, well, I won't keep you then. Where's the party though? Maybe I'll drop by."

"Yeah, some house... did you know that Oneca chick?"

"Doesn't ring a bell. Another one of Declan's private free-range Herd?"

"Not that... well, possibly. Man's as horny as me. Anyway, she's got a big house and is throwing a party."

Ariel quickly jotted Amber's directions down on one of her ever-present notepads and nodded.

"Alright, thanks. So we're on, right? Tomorrow? Or when's good for you? I can't keep track of when you're awake or working these days."

"Tomorrow's great. Just call me about noon so I can get some sleep and check on my puppy."

Puppy? That was new. She wasn't talking about her kid was she? Ariel's eyebrow lifted, but it wasn't the sort of thing you could politely ask. "You have a...heh, okay, we'll talk tomorrow noon. Take care of yourself."

"Yeah, it's a bad joke, shouldn't have said it. Later."

Ariel closed her phone and sat in the car, in the dark, for a moment. Surely she hadn't been gone long enough for big news. Had she?

With a sigh, she pulled off onto the road and turned around to heads towards the address Amber had given her. Maybe a party would be just what she needed right now.

"Yep." Jeremy remarked confidently and happily as he led August through the teaming crowds of people. "As the old saying goes, let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die." They passed toward the grill and obtained sizzling hamburgers.

Jeremy applied vigorous amounts of ketchup and pickle relish, and bit down with culinary satisfaction. "So," he asked between bites of burger, "it sounded like you've brushed with the Real World too, haven't you. If you don't mind, what's your story?"

"Always thinking with you stomach," he grinned. "You'd think you'd start grabbing a bite before you left the sandbox."

The two looked around a bit and chose their 'targets'. "But, I suppose you're right. Text me if you need me, gorgeous, or, you know if anything weird happens. You know our luck." He winked at his S.O. with a casual grin as he leaned in to kiss her cheek gently before wandering off.

Click to reveal..
Lucien is just wandering and talking with people. Basically to give some of you time to clear up intros and not to congest any one section or player with too many people talking all at once. Approach him if you like, or, in time, he'll end up around one of ya.

Dec made his way across the room, weaving throught the small crowd as he homed in on Oneca. In his wake he left a rustle of unease, instinctive feelings rippling through the subconscious of those he brushed past. Fear from the males, fear and something else from the females. Well, mostly females. This was California, after all...

Oneca became aware of him as he moved to stand beside her, a well-built man with thick, almost shaggy brown hair that brushed the white cotton of the shirt that covered his broad shoulders, open at the collar. He had a physical presence, a way of projecting himself onto people's consciousness. Like or loathe him, the werewolf was hard to ignore, even when he was being laid-back and friendly, like now. Maybe especially when he was being friendly.

"Hey." he said by way of greeting to Oneca as he leaned against the wall beside her. "Got a minute to meet a couple of friends? I think you'd find 'em interesting." He grinned at her, silver eyes sparkling.

Oneca nodded and Remy piped up with a, "Mind if I tag along?" Even if the two were having an awkward moment, Remy hadn't given up his position as Oneca's protector.

"Lead on, oh fearless one," the dark-haired beauty quipped, trying to keep herself in high spirits despite the mix of apprehension and bone-deep stress that was still knotting up her stomach despite nearly two hours now of blasting music and house now mostly full of people she barely (or didn't) know. She scanned the room, relaxing a bit as she spotted old and new friends hanging out, dancing, and in general having a good time.

Dec nodded, leading Oneca and her erstwhile knight-errant across to where Jeremy stood next to August. The changeling had a mouthful of food and seemed to be getting on just fine with Dec's lover. As they moved, Dec murmured a quick briefing to Oneca, Remy catching most of the words.

"The guy's called Jeremy. He's a... well, he's a guy that got taken away by the fairies and managed to get back here, as I understand it." Dec explained without elaboration. "Thought that might have a bearing on you. And the girl's August. She sees ghosts. For real, 'I see dead people' sees ghosts. But she's otherwise as human as you guys."

"Well," August said, her eyes darting across the room rapidly to linger on Declan's back. He'd said that Jeremy was in the know, so she swallowed and admitted, "I see dead people. Like white-sheets dead people. I always have seen them, even when I was little." She smiled a little shyly and said, "That's my story."

She paused to dart around a couple making out in the middle of the dance floor before rejoining Jeremy on the other side. "What about you? How do you fit into the wild Real World of LA?" She glanced at him curiously, aware of what Dec had already said but wanted to hear what Jeremy himself said.

Archived