World of Darkness: Attrition - "Cue The Awesome Fight Music!" (Combat Tracking)

Owns-The-Night

Tracking combat in Truly Long Night.

PC's are:

Amber: Init - 16

No-Moss: Init - 15

Owns-The-Night: Init - 15

Sarah Dead-Wolf: Init - 13

Jeremy Noctis: Init - 9

Antagonists are:

6 Jesus-Swat Team: Init - 1d10=3 = 13

Current Status: 3 uninjured, 1 moderately wounded, 1 severely wounded, and 1 critically wounded.

3 Long Night Team: Init - 1d10=3 = 8

Current status: fleeing.

Roll and log initiatives, health levels, Essence, Blood, what shape you're in etc below. Keep the same post for your PC and edit as things change, and I'll keep track of initiatives up here for easy reference.

Owns-The-Night

Initiative: +5 (+10) 1d10=4 = 15

Defense: 3

Armor: 1/1

Health Levels: 12 (9L marked off)

Active Gifts: Clarity (+5 Initiative)

Current Shape: Gauru - +3 Str, + 1 Dex, + 2 Stam, +2 Size, +4 Health, +4 Speed, +1 Initiative, +3 Perception Rolls

Willpower: 4/5

Essence: 8/11 (1 per turn)

Alright. Declare actions in reverse-initiative order here then we'll play them out in the fic in correct initiative order.

On 8, the 3 Long Night types are getting to their feet and pulling handguns, looking somewhat confused and frightened. Their attention seems to be primarily directed at the rear of the church, where the break-in noises were loudest.

Jeremy, you declare next, then SDW and so on.

Jeremy will dart into the church and take cover behind one of the pews.

(I'm guessing the cover will be Substantial cover [-3])

He will also activate Growth of the Ivy and attempt to have the SMG carrying J-Swat decide to fist-fight Dec instead of shooting him.

Sarah's holding at the edge of the wood, with her will fighting a tooth-and-nail battle with her conscience.

Willpower (pro-fight): (05:54:08) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,1,10,2.

(05:54:14) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 2d10 and gets 1,3.

2 successes

Humanity (anti-fight): (05:55:01) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 7d10 and gets 4,9,2,7,5,1,9.

2 successes

Sarah wavers.

On 13, the 6 J-SWAT hunters are also getting to their feet, but moving with efficiency as they ready shotguns and, in one case, an SMG. They and the Long Night hunters are currently clustered at the front pews, near the altar of the church. Their attention is likewise concentrated towards the rear of the church, though the pair closest to Moss's door are starting to look around alertly.

On 14, Dec comes through the doorway leading into the rear offices, sees the enemy and charges before they're fully ready.

On 16, Amber will charge (your description made it sound like they could be easily seen - let me know if I need a perception for this). If she can close the distance, she'll insta-shift to Urshal (near-wolf) using Essence and attack the closest with prejudice.

In Urshal, her stats are:

Init (+6 in wolf form): 16

Health: 11/11

Defense: 3

Willpower: 4/4

Essence: 8/11

I'm monitoring the combat. Although I trust Declan to handle things if the Hunters are not living up to their potential the NPCs will be usurped.

Also, Jeremy has gone out of turn. He scored a 9 on initiative while the Hunters have a 13. Do try and follow the appropriate order.

The excuse 'He ain't ST no more.' (courtesy of Jeremy, very eloquent, thank you for that) does not apply, I'm still a moderator of this forum and the WoD:A Bible is clear about a moderator's right to usurp control of NPCs.

I stopped STing this because Sarah cussed me out over a simple question. Believe me people, I've better things to do then try and entertain people who are going to be foul with me.

Excellent post by the way Dawn, I liked reading Amber's shredding of the Hunter. Very colorful. smile

The J-SWAT will continue doing their thing, working in pairs and concentrating on the Uratha, who are the obvious threats after all. They'll all be popping a WP to take their actions as normal without penalties this round, due to Lunacy.

*EDIT* Needless to say, the amateur hunters are pissing themselves and running away.

With the massive burst of gunfire and Dec's howls of pain and rage, Sarah desperately tries to break her internal stalemate once more.

Willpower (pro-fight) (+1 for gunfire, spending Willpower for +3): (19:04:07) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 8d10 and gets 9,9,9,7,3,2,8,5.

4 successes.

Humanity (anti-fight): (05:55:01) (19:04:59) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 7d10 and gets 6,6,3,7,5,10,10.

(19:05:07) ChatBot: (Sarah_Dead-Wolf) rolls 2d10 and gets 9,2.

3 successes.

Sarah finally manages to overcome her moral qualms, will blow 1 Vitae for Celerity, and book toward the church's side door at maximum speed.

Moss was taken down to within 2 of his death 2/9 so I think he needs to roll or go Garou?

Either way he'll burn an Essence to heal 1 Lethal (could he do more with Primal Urge 2?) and Spend a Willpower to close and attack one of the two who attacked him.

16 - Amber will chase down the running hunters. I assume her speed is faster.

Edited to add: Her intention in chasing them is to bite them to get their blood-scent to track them down later. Declan, please let me know if she is slower than the hunters (unlikely, but this is WoDA) and how many rounds it will take to reach them.

Amber's already gotten a pass for her earlier actions, and was told by a Moderator that she couldn't commit a more grievous sin than she already had. Chasing down unarmed men while her comrades take the brunt of the damage from the real Hunters, and her (informal) pack-mate is in Kuruth, is entirely her prerogative. If she suffers any negative consequences, they'll be from her pack, and her peers, not from the Mods.

Vivi, she didn't get a pass; she got a Harmony check for her actions, which she passed. It's not the same as 'getting a pass'. She was at risk of losing Harmony if she failed.

That aside, she was told to bite a human to get its blood-scent, to follow them later by the 'alpha' of the 'pack'. Letting them go without getting their blood-scent lowers the chance of getting them later, which is a violation of "The Herd Shall Not Know". If this path leads to her receiving another check for a Harmony violation, that is part of the price she'll pay for making a bad decision; she's not perfect and will make mistakes. She's honestly trusting that her 'packmates' can handle themselves until she can get back; again, if she's wrong, she'll pay for that decision.

I should have been more clear about my intentions in my post, but I was in a hurry because I had been waiting for the others so that I could drive three hours home. I will go back and add on the further details I left out, and will try not to do it again. Sorry if I upset anyone, as it seems I did.

In Urshal form, I'm saying that Amber can catch up to the fleeing Long Night dudes in 1 round.

I deliberated the wrongs and rights of posting this, but hell with it, here:

Quote:
"I say we do a catch and release on one of the Jesus-SWAT guys." He looked at Amber and No-Moss, then at Jeremy with a sly smile. "One of us bites one of the them at the meeting, then we let him 'escape'.

and...

Quote:
"...burst in there, kill everything in the room except for one SWAT type, who we bite and let go, in the hope we can track him to his HQ..."

Now if Amber's misremembering the plan or making a mistake, as you said, then this post wasn't germane and please ignore it.

Oh, and something else unrelated.

Quote:
"No amount of trainin' in the world will help a human if you're in your near-human form and have the element of surprise. He'd have to be Chuck fuckin' Norris and Bruce Lee's bastard lovechild to stand a chance."

I'd just like to say "I fucking called it. Dec was right."

Anyway, game on. Amber's up first.

I knew I wasn't crazy - here's the quote (last line is the pertanint one):

Originally Posted By: Dec's Orders
"Moss, you take the left-side fire exit. Sarah, you take the right. I'll take the back. We'll listen in for a bit, see if anything useful's being said, then crash their tent revival. Amber: I'm puttin' you on bite duty. Get your teeth wet, then knock the punk senseless or scare him into runnin' if you can."

Also, I really don't want to overthink this. This is combat; Amber gets a split second to decide what to do. I try to go with my immediate response and not sit there and ponder the best possible strategy. She can't do so, so I try not to.

I'll post IC momentarily.

Hmmm.

You know, this is what I get for posting the action intention prior to reading the last post in the actual fic thoroughly.

She'd definitely head for that now-open side door (all considered, going after the fleeing guys who look like they've pissed their pants doesn't seem all that great to her, and they're veering out toward the road away from her and the church anyway).

Peter, let me know if that's an appropriate edit in the intention stated above.

EDIT: got the permission; making the change.

Originally Posted By: Rorx
Moss was taken down to within 2 of his death 2/9 so I think he needs to roll or go Garou? Either way he'll burn an Essence to heal 1 Lethal (could he do more with Primal Urge 2?)

Yup, resolve & composure roll for Moss to resist Kuruth. Alternatively, you can forgo the roll and just let Kuruth take over. If you enter the Death Rage, you'll default to fleeing, no alternative, as per Forsaken p174.

Oh, and nope. Primal Urge 2 only allows 1 Essence per turn.

I don't think the Kuruth is very clear

Dalu Health = 10 took 7 damage so down to 3 - triggers a Kuruth roll on his turn

Before his turn he gets healed for 2 pts so back up to 5 Health

Kuruth roll to avoid Death Rage

Res+Comp = 6 -1 = 5 dice

(01:22:08) ChatBot: (Moss) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,4,2,4,7.

no sux

So he shifts to Garou.

But should he run, because he went down to 3, or fight, because before he shifts he is at 5?

Also does he burn the Essence for a Lethal regen at the end of last turn/beginning of this one, or at the end of this one? If it is the last/beginning then he is on 6 in Dalu when he shifts to Garou (which puts him up to 8/12)

Guys, this is real easy.

Going into his last three wound boxes will force a roll. This happens when he's wounded (pg 147):

Quote:
The roll to determine if Kuruth is invoked is made

reflexively and immediately upon the offending event or

circumstance.

The change happens immediately (pg 174):

Quote:
Upon entering Death Rage, a werewolf automatically

assumes Gauru form as a reflexive action

Moss' traits in Garou form are (pg 172):

Quote:
Traits: Rage invoked, Strength +3, Dexterity +1,

Stamina +2, Size +2, Health +4, Initiative +1, Speed +4,

Armor 1/1, inflict lethal damage (+1 bonus to claw attacks,

+2 to bite attacks), +3 to perception rolls, wound penalties

ignored and no unconsciousness rolls made, –2 to resist

Death Rage, fail most Social and Mental tasks

He will act one the following guidelines (pg 174):

Quote:
While in the grip of Kuruth, a werewolf can’t perceive

other beings as anything other than moving shapes that his

instincts guide him to attack. He attempts to destroy any

potential target he can see, friend or foe. (The Storyteller

determines who the creature’s targets are randomly.) He

typically keeps attacking one until it is knocked unconscious

or killed, and then moves on to the next available

target.

He flees when (pg 174):

Quote:
This berserk state lasts until the end of the scene or

the character suffers a wound in one of his last three Health

boxes (when he would normally suffer a wound penalty). At

this point, the instinct for self-preservation takes over.

While I see where the confusion arises from, I think the book makes it pretty clear that so long as he has enough health, he'll fight on. Yes, he took enough damage to trigger Kuruth, but in doing so, he's got more health with which to fight.

However, this is up to the mods, ultimately, and how they choose to run with it.

Sorry Dawn, but I believe that right after the bit about self-preservation taking over, it says that if he enters Death Rage and would normally flee, then He flees, regardless of anything else. Run, run, run to the hills. Besides, running is probably the best option, IMO.

Ok, but here's the deal. He's Garou, and he's got more health; the beast mind doesn't see the need to preserve itself. It's a Death RAGE, not a Death Run.

And it's not about what is the best option; Moss isn't home anymore. He's lost his mind and become a mindless killing machine. Granted, it's a machine that senses when it's in danger, but only to a limited degree. Please don't encourage a character in Kuruth to act rationally. It isn't a rational matter.

Page 174 of Werewolf Core:

Quote:
If a werewolf succumbs to Death Rage in combat due

to suffering a wound in one of his last three Health boxes,

the flight instinct kicks in immediately.

And:

Quote:

A werewolf in Death Rage who has suffered a wound

in one of his last three Health boxes isn’t subject to wound

penalties (as established under “Gauru — The Wolf-Man”).

He is subconsciously aware of his danger, however, and

is overwhelmed by the instinct to survive at all costs, an

instinct that takes the form of pure fear. He runs as quickly

as possible away from the source of the trouble. A fleeing

werewolf in Death Rage attacks anyone who impedes his

flight, although this is more with the intention of driving

them out of his way than killing them. Once the character reaches a safe hiding place, he remains there until the

episode passes

Well, regardless, this is what the rules say. And it says AT ALL COSTS. This is the main focus of my point.

I think this whole thing boils down to a pretty simple statement:

"If a werewolf is in Kuruth AND has less than 3 health points: Then werewolf must flee at all costs no matter what."

There's that 'and' operator in there. So when you enter Kuruth, you check your health. If it's 3 or more, you attack whatever moves. If it's less than 3, you flee and flee and flee.

My take on it (and that of the Forsaken AMST when I chatted with him on it) was that the health levels are checked *after* shifting into Gauru; if there are wounds in at least one of those last three health boxes at that point, the werewolf bolts.

This is thematically important; if it worked the other way around, the overwhelming majority of Death Rages would more accurately be termed Death Fleeings.

Archived