Aberrant: No Good Deed - The Lair- OOC Talk

Jaime Lowery

Caroline is theoretically doing what she is doing for the 'greater good', but in reality its more of a Dark Side desire for 'Order'. The world that allows the kind of stuff that was done to her is messed up and needs to be fixed and it might as well be her doing the fixing. She also takes great pleasure in punishing those she feels deserve it.

She is a parasitic dominator with a little bit of telepathy, and she's a world class manipulative bitch.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

And that pretty much sums up Tomas. If you gave him a big red button that said "Danger: Pressing this button will annihilate all humanity" he wouldn't press it.

Because it would be far, far too quick for his taste.

Originally Posted By: Logic1
Napoleon, Magneto, and Vader lol what a list. Now when you say last movie do you mean Episode 3 or 6?
3. His motivations *might* have started out with wanting to save his wife, but he quickly went down hill from there. The movie ended with him being motivated by selfishness, even to the point where it was believable to tell him that he'd killed his wife (and given how she died, he might have).

Magneto is trying to ward off a 2nd holocaust.
Napoleon I don't know well enough to speculate on.

Vader is evil first and for most for himself. Yes, we saw his step by step journey into darkness, but our sympathy is not his excuse. Magneto can legitimately claim he's trying to do good and ward off a greater evil, Vader IMHO has no such claim.

Has anyone seen Caroline around or heard anything from her?

Also, Voice of Novus, could you possibly add, along with the main handles of the people playing what characters they're playing as well (especially for those who created accounts just for this game).

I listened to that entire series on abridged audio books and let me tell you it sucked. There must have been a great deal of character focused stuff that got cut in the abridging process. Reason I say that is that I walked away from the series feeling that it was not very believable at all that he went down the dark path, not given his experiences when he was younger anyway. He of all people should not have fallen to darkness. I mean seriously, he went though everything during the vong invasion and didn't go darkside then he just slides right down the path practically unquestioningly in the next series? Just didn't sit right with me, but like I said, I didn't read it unabridged, so I hope they just did a suck ass job of abridging and cut out the stuff that would cause it to make sense. smile

Meh, I wished Lucas hadn't made episodes I, II, III, they turned Vader into a whiny bitch instead of a badass. Anakin didn't so much fall to the Darkside as jump.

"Oh, woe is me, Padme is dying."

"Blah, blah, blah, Dark Side can save her, just do one little thing for me."

"Okay, I'll do it."

Anakin comes back, covered in the gore of slaughtered padawan-children.

Originally Posted By: Kendra Sara Varner
Vader may have fallen to darkness, but part of his purpose later was to bring order to the chaos.
That *sounds* great... unless "order" is a stand in for "my personal power" or "order under me".

It's possible (sometimes) to imagine Magneto leading a peaceful life somewhere. I.e. being content as the head of a school without trying to impose his rule on the world.

I didn't read the later books, but my impression from the movies was Vader service to the Emperor would last only as long as the Emperor was stronger than /useful to him.

Originally Posted By: Yseult Sierra
Meh, I wished Lucas hadn't made episodes I, II, III, they turned Vader into a whiny bitch instead of a badass. Anakin didn't so much fall to the Darkside as jump.
Sidious and Duko pushed him.

His first big step was when his mom was tortured... for no apparent reason (what did the Sandpeople think they were doing?) Any bets on whether Duko spread some cash around and paid for that? I'd guess that over a 10 year period Anakin told his mentor Palipine(sp) about his childhood and that his mom was still alive.

After that with Sidious and Duko controlling both sides of the war, they could deliberately engineer other situations to put stress on him and make him need to use the Dark Side just for strength. The whole Duko vs. Anakin II match was just one of the ending steps in that dance.

Jacen doesn't seem to make sense at first. But you've gotta think he along with his brother and sister spent the better part of their lives fighting the influence of the dark side. Him more so than the rest. All their childhoods are full of kidnappings and plots to convert them but his continues on into his adult life.

I think it started when he learned to use his pain to keep himself alive when the Yuuzan Vong were torturing him. Then later when he sees the holovid of Padme die and Anakin falling to the dark side he agrees with Anakin's actions to a certain degree. Then he finds out that he had already received Sith training and he would be the next Sith Lord. He even has a vision of himself fighting and killing Luke, the true chosen one the prophecy spoke of. That's another discussion though. In the vision he has he sees that if Lumiya, his soon to be dark side mentor is arrested his vision will come true, so in an attempt to avoid this he kills his friend allowing Lumiya to get away.

After that he is even more misguided and further manipulated. He shoots a civilian freighter for firing at him and the relieves Jaina of her post for not doing it. Really? He tries to take out the Falcon with his family onboard because he thinks they were involved in an assassination plot when they were actually setup. He tries to kill Tenel Ka and Allana as part of The Trial of Sacrifice because he believes it will immortalize his love for them and allow him to use the dark side without becoming evil. Turns out the sacrifice is Mara which ends up turning his family and by proxy the rest of the galaxy against him. Not to mention he was wrong about not becoming evil. Oops. Jacen is all but a victim of circumstance.

That's just it. More so than anyone else he should know better. As you said he spent most of his life avoiding the Darkside and seeing it in action. Then suddenly he falls to it so quickly and easily after all of his earlier experiences.

I grant you that the visions could make him take certain actions. He had the vision of his Thraken Sal Solo and the terrible things he would cause and that spurred him to action. Sure, he was trying to preserve the greater good. That I understand. But killing his love and his child and being a douche to his sister and attempting to kill his family? That's out of character. No way can that be justified as good, and Jacen of all people should know just how the Darkside tries to get to you and should know better.

Don't get me wrong, I think a little darkside might go a long ways in improving the political situation in the galaxy, but Jacen falling to the darkside was poorly done.

Some of it was good. The visions, the fact that one of his teachers was a Darkside master but did good instead of evil. That was well done and nicely played. The blatant stuff with his family was just not right. Jacen should have been smarter and should be ruling the galaxy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering; is this game supposed to be moving this slowly? Maybe it's the holidays, or the orientation of the planets, or something that's effecting the whole forum, but I was just wondering...

where is everybody?

If the concept of this game was a leisurely pace to begin with, then I'm ok with that... but if not... I just don't want to be a part of another game that dies before my character has time to more fully express who he is and what he can do.

(That being said, VoN, you're needed in William and Caroline's prologue)

Stargaizer -

I've been wondering the same thing, myself. I know our thread snagged on player availability for a bit, but I thought there'd be a little more movement over the time that's passed.

Is this just a slower game or are there issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived